PDA

View Full Version : Football Recruiting Update

TopDawg
12/31/2006, 01:07 PM
I don't have the goods, but I'm hoping some of you can supply them and keep adding them as we get them. Unfortunately I can't keep up with all the different threads for each potential recruit, so can someone sum up where we stand now in terms of commitments and guys we're in on?

Thanks!

TopDawg
1/2/2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe I'll have better luck this year.

goingoneight
1/2/2007, 11:50 PM

lcaldwell1
1/3/2007, 02:50 PM
so far according to rivals rankings, we have 1 five star being Mike Reed LB, 7 four stars ..Austin Box LB, Jameel Fleming DB, Jason Hannan OL, Desmond Jackson DB, James Kirkendoll WR, Phil Loadholt OL, Keith Nichol QB, 2 three star players.. Jontae Bumpus DE, and Corey Wilson WR, and 3 two stars..Kody Cooke OL, Jimmy Stevens K, and Tyler Stradford WR.......Reed and Loadholt are both juco players

Rhino
1/3/2007, 03:32 PM
It's a dead period right now, so not a lot of news.

Current commits:
QB Keith Nichol
WR Corey Wilson
WR James Kirkendoll
WR Tyler Stradford
OL Phil Loadholt
OL Jason Hannan
OL Kody Cooke
DE Jontae 'Bobo' Bumpus
LB Austin Box
LB Mike Reed
DB Desmond Jackson
DB Jamell Fleming
PK Jimmy Stevens

Looks like we have five offers left. We'll probably go after one or two more OL, a DB, a DE and someone else.

OL:
Matt Romine (Tulsa Union) will announce his choice between OU, Notre Dame & Michigan at the Army AA Game on Saturday - word is he's been talking up OU at the Army AA practices.

Donald Stephenson is visiting OU on the 12th (OU, Michigan, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri). Alex Williams is a soft Ole Miss commit, but his high school teammate Stradford committed to us a week or two ago. Might be a package deal.

DB:
Christian Scott is our top target (OU, LSU, Texas). He visits Texas last and has said he won't make a decision until then. I'm not very optimistic on him.

DE:
Luther Davis is the big dog here. It's down to OU and LSU and he may announce on Saturday at the Army AA game too. Word is Romine & Box have been talking up OU to Davis. There's a handful of other guys we're looking at too.

ATH:
Ryan Broyles (Norman) and William Cole are possibles. I think we missed our window on Broyles though and we're late getting in with Cole.

RB:
Lennon Creer is a possibility - he says he's picked a school, just isn't telling anyone yet and is still taking visits. He wants to announce with his teammate WR Darnius Moore, who we're also in on. They may be a package deal too. Tennessee looks like our biggest competition here. On the positive side for us, Stoops made an in-home with Creer a few weeks ago and made a big impression on him.

TopDawg
1/3/2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys.

It's already time for the Army game?! Wow.

Rhino
1/3/2007, 04:13 PM
Looks like Nichol has already enrolled at OU - classes start on the 16th.

Loadholt & Reed are expected at semester also.

Box may be in at semester.

TopDawg
1/3/2007, 04:46 PM
That's good to hear.

BigDeezy
1/6/2007, 03:51 PM
From a recent interview, Box said he has not made up his mind yet whether to enroll early or wait until later. He may not be here for spring.

stoopified
1/6/2007, 04:29 PM
Box IS a stud.

trwxxa
1/6/2007, 07:13 PM
Davis to LSU and Romine to the domers. Both announced at the game today

Desert Sapper
1/6/2007, 07:22 PM
Why did Romine jump to ND? I thought he was pretty much a OU lock? And did Box actually play a down in the AA game? I didn't see him. That Galippo kid and Griffen that SUC got looked out of this universe.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/7/2007, 12:33 AM
Why did Romine jump to ND? I thought he was pretty much a OU lock? And did Box actually play a down in the AA game? I didn't see him. That Galippo kid and Griffen that SUC got looked out of this universe. I thought Romine was a Sooner, and was PO'd when I heard he committed to domer. Wonder why he was shi*ty about the way he backed out?

OU-HSV
1/7/2007, 01:12 AM
Romine to Dame?? WTF, I thought we had him too

NorthernIowaSooner
1/7/2007, 04:16 AM
he never said he was going to OU and from what ive heard about it him he was pretty much a domer when he got the offer. i honestly wouldve been more shocked if he came to OU than him committing to ND. I have family in the union district and a cousin in his grade and its been ND from the outset, no shocker he went there

okienole3
1/7/2007, 09:00 AM
PLEASE GO AFTER BROYLES

snp
1/7/2007, 04:34 PM
Even the Irish were a little surprised he went there. He cares about academics, loves the environment up there, and in the end he had to make a tough decision because he loves OU so much.

I don't see the need for Broyles, but I would hate for OU to miss out on 3 outta the top 4 players in Oklahoma in what was suppose to be a year where we went after more in state guys.

Rhino
1/7/2007, 05:27 PM
Losing Romine was disappointing, but he sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and liked their academics more. Good on him - wish him luck.

Losing Davis and (maybe) Scott isn't too surprising.

okienole3
1/7/2007, 05:28 PM
Even the Irish were a little surprised he went there. He cares about academics, loves the environment up there, and in the end he had to make a tough decision because he loves OU so much.

I don't see the need for Broyles, but I would hate for OU to miss out on 3 outta the top 4 players in Oklahoma in what was suppose to be a year where we went after more in state guys.

There is always the need for playmakers.

snp
1/7/2007, 06:39 PM
I'd rather take on a big ugly than a potential playmaker - we already have enough skill position and secondary guys. We already have 3 WR in this class, 2 the year before, and 4 in 05.

If we lose out on Scott, then I would like to get Broyles. Although he's not safety size and we've signed 3 CBs the past 2 years.

If the coaches thought he'd be a real playmaker, they wouldn't pass up on a guy that plays a mile away from OU. He looks like he's a backup plan.

birddog
1/7/2007, 06:42 PM
we need more "true" cb's, NOW.

snp
1/7/2007, 08:01 PM
And we have lots in waiting, NOW. Franks, Jackson, Walker, Flemming and Nelson will all be around next year.

SgtSooner
1/7/2007, 08:27 PM
What are we going to do about the D ends situation? We need to add a least 2

BASSooner
1/7/2007, 09:37 PM
we have bumpus and hoping to get frank alexander. RJ washington is a top DE recruit that committed to next year's class.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/8/2007, 02:31 PM
theres an article on rivals about why romine decided on ND, i dont have an account so i cant read the whole thing or post it but if someone does id like to read it

Harry Beanbag
1/8/2007, 05:08 PM
theres an article on rivals about why romine decided on ND, i dont have an account so i cant read the whole thing or post it but if someone does id like to read it

It basically says he just felt ND was a better fit for him, nothing earth shattering.

Rhino
1/10/2007, 10:45 AM
Box has enrolled and will be on campus next week.

So, we have four coming in this spring - Box, Reed, Loadholt & Nichol.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/10/2007, 10:56 AM
Box has enrolled and will be on campus next week.

So, we have four coming in this spring - Box, Reed, Loadholt & Nichol.

DO also reports Box's teammate Kody Cooke is enrolling early.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 11:01 AM
What are we going to do about the D ends situation? We need to add a least 2

Problem is (at least on paper) I don't see any DE out there that we would sign and would likely be good enough to start or be part of a 3-4 player rotation. Bumpus? Maybe. More likely I'd say Dotson is penciled in as a starter and then the others are returning players with limited/no experience like Williams, Beal, English, P Macon or T Johnson. It might turn out that 2-3 of those guys turn out doing great, we just don't have anything to go on. So I would think any DE that we sign at this point would be for developing 2-3 years down the road.

I could be wrong. Maybe we sign a Juco DE late that could be in the mix.

fwsooner22
1/10/2007, 01:01 PM
Trust in Stoops

MojoRisen
1/10/2007, 01:06 PM
Beal is an animal- I am sure he will be a playmaker if he can learn his responsibilities...

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 01:07 PM
Problem is (at least on paper) I don't see any DE out there that we would sign and would likely be good enough to start or be part of a 3-4 player rotation. Bumpus? Maybe. More likely I'd say Dotson is penciled in as a starter and then the others are returning players with limited/no experience like Williams, Beal, English, P Macon or T Johnson. It might turn out that 2-3 of those guys turn out doing great, we just don't have anything to go on. So I would think any DE that we sign at this point would be for developing 2-3 years down the road.

I could be wrong. Maybe we sign a Juco DE late that could be in the mix.

John Williams is a stud. He looked every bit as good as anybody else in the starting rotation this year (and sometimes better -- Mizzou). Beyond that, who knows. I thought Tim Johnson was supposed to be pretty good coming out of JUCO?

soonerbugg
1/10/2007, 01:13 PM
We're getting some interest out of a kid from Alabama. He's a DE I believe. Can somebody help out with his name?

soonerbugg
1/10/2007, 01:17 PM
Looked it up myself! Kid's name is Sidell Corley. Army AA.

Also we're in the top 3 for that DE from Louisiana Frank Alexander. Maybe we get one or the other... BOTH???

Rhino
1/10/2007, 02:13 PM
I thought Tim Johnson was supposed to be pretty good coming out of JUCO? He spent all this last year getting healthy from my broken leg and learning the defense.

He'll be in the mix with Williams, Dotson and English this spring.

snp
1/10/2007, 02:28 PM
Looked it up myself! Kid's name is Sidell Corley. Army AA.

Also we're in the top 3 for that DE from Louisiana Frank Alexander. Maybe we get one or the other... BOTH???

Corley is going to be tough to pull away from Florida and Saban. I don't think he signs with us. And it seems like we always miss out with the guys from the SEC country. His top 3 include Miami, Auburn and us.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 02:41 PM
I wonder why Corley is shopping around. I thought he was a Florida commit?

I hope we get Alexander and Corley, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 02:52 PM
He spent all this last year getting healthy from my broken leg and learning the defense.

He'll be in the mix with Williams, Dotson and English this spring.

Wow. Remind me never to **** you off...:D

Rhino
1/10/2007, 04:05 PM
That's my personal best typo of all-time.

TopDawg
1/10/2007, 06:27 PM
You guys are delivering the goods. Thanks! Keep up the good work.

KingDavid
1/10/2007, 07:36 PM
Beal is an animal- I am sure he will be a playmaker if he can learn his responsibilities...

True.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2007, 04:46 PM
It looks like Jeff Schweiger DE USC might be transferring because USC is using a 3-4 scheme now and his playing time is limited. If I remember right we were his second choice when he committed. Maybe he will take a look at us again now. He wouldn't play next year but in the Army AA game last year he was a monster.

JRAM
1/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Romine is a wuss who will be slobberknocked into the stands when they start practice. Glad the puss is gone.

Rhino
1/12/2007, 09:58 PM
Romine is a wuss who will be slobberknocked into the stands when they start practice. Glad the puss is gone. Classy.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 10:31 PM
i saw a tease on rivals that Washington may be reconsidering his strong verbal commit to OU and looking towards austin?

any truth to that?

Widescreen
1/12/2007, 10:55 PM
That's weird. He seemed really into OU just a few weeks ago.

The Consumate Showman
1/13/2007, 01:00 AM
i saw a tease on rivals that Washington may be reconsidering his strong verbal commit to OU and looking towards austin?

any truth to that?

What he has said is that he is not 100% for sure that he will keep his commitment, which is fine...he does have OVER a year before signing day. What he said is that he will take his officials. That's not saying he is going to decommit, but keep this in mind. I don't think that there has ever been a player wind up going to Austin after he has publically flashed the whorns down sign. Just a thought.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/15/2007, 11:37 AM
ryan broyles has committed to OSU and according to rivals he got an offer from OU a few hours later. now OU is going to try to sway him to stay in norman. seems like they want what they cant have and its probly too late. itd be cool if he stayed in norman but i doubt he will, seems the OU staff let one from right under their noses get away.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 11:40 AM
It looks like Jeff Schweiger DE USC might be transferring because USC is using a 3-4 scheme now and his playing time is limited. If I remember right we were his second choice when he committed. Maybe he will take a look at us again now. He wouldn't play next year but in the Army AA game last year he was a monster.

i stood near him when he pulled the usc hat out of the box at the all american game.....he's in the same class as AD, so if he redshirted, he's a year behind

but......what a tool that kid was, seriously.....

The Consumate Showman
1/15/2007, 02:50 PM
ryan broyles has committed to OSU and according to rivals he got an offer from OU a few hours later. now OU is going to try to sway him to stay in norman. seems like they want what they cant have and its probly too late. itd be cool if he stayed in norman but i doubt he will, seems the OU staff let one from right under their noses get away.

Let's start a thread on this.

setem
1/15/2007, 04:56 PM
I am just glad that Box and Nichol will be in class tomorrow. I really think the spring will give Nichol a chance to win the starting spot. I would not mind if Bradford got it either.

If Nichol wins the job what will become of Sam?

soonerboy_odanorth
1/15/2007, 05:16 PM
I am just glad that Box and Nichol will be in class tomorrow. I really think the spring will give Nichol a chance to win the starting spot. I would not mind if Bradford got it either.

If Nichol wins the job what will become of Sam?

Why are we discounting Halzle? What's the scoop?

FrostySooner
1/17/2007, 11:17 AM
When is National Signing Day????

Rhino
1/17/2007, 11:40 AM
When is National Signing Day???? First Wednesday of February - every year.

This year, it's February 7.

Rook65
1/17/2007, 11:42 AM
I hope we get Creer but some more linemen would be nice too.

snp
1/17/2007, 12:55 PM
It's us or Tennesse for Creer. And with Tennesse already having like 5 RBs signed, that has to bode well for us.

According to players I've talked with, he sucks.

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 06:07 PM

DO NOT COUNT OUT HALZLE PEOPLE!!!

Kevin Wilson's comments about Sam earlier, though nice and picturesque, may not be the tell tale some folks are looking for.

Look, I'm rooting for Sam just as much as anyone due to the fact that he's an Oklahoma kid, but let's be real people...the chances of him becoming the next Jason White are slim at best. That's not to say it can't happen, but let's take off the shades for a second.

JW was a great collegiate QB that struggled in the big games but played like a freak and won the Heisman. Let's not give Sam a bunch of "great expectations". Let's be thrilled for him if he gets the job and support him if he doesn't. I'm not saying we are thinking he's going to win the heisman, but I am saying let's give Halzle his due...he may be much better than anyone thinks.

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 06:10 PM
According to players I've talked with, he sucks.

According to a schoolamte of mine that plays on the team, he is afraid that the OU fan base is not going to stand behind him if he falls a little...much like many people did early on with PT in 2005.

After watching him play, I don't think he sucks, I think he needs some good reps with the 1st string offense to develop some type of rythym and ease. Remember, he had a LOT of reps with the 2nd teamers and when they threw him in with the 1st team, he struggled a bit. Give him time.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/17/2007, 06:32 PM
PT was so atrocious in that TCU game I thought we had to give dumb-dumb a chance. I wasn't screaming for it, but I thought for that game it was fair. And then the staff made the decision to play for the future, which I capitulated to and just kind of felt bad for PT.

And now hindsight is 20/20, seems like it was a bad decision by the staff not to keep plugging away with Paul, and seems like a bad decision by any fan witnessing not to be more patient with a new QB.

And yet, in '07 it will have to be measured patience because whoever the QB is next fall will not be saddled with the same kind of discumbobulated o-line and inexperienced receivers that both PT and dumb-dumb were having to grow with in '05.

snp
1/17/2007, 08:56 PM
People were much more enamored with Bomar than with Nichols/Bradford. Whoever it is, I just hope they hold onto it throughout their playing days here, QB controversy makes me scared :O

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 11:21 PM
People were much more enamored with Bomar than with Nichols/Bradford. Whoever it is, I just hope they hold onto it throughout their playing days here, QB controversy makes me scared :O

It may make you MORE scared if the big news I think is coming down soon does in fact come down.

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 11:24 PM
oh c'mon, dont tease us like that.... :)

give us another clue

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 11:30 PM
oh c'mon, dont tease us like that.... :)

give us another clue

I'm guessing he's talking about the rumors of Mitch Mustain having interest in transferring.

I'm a big "trust the coaches" guy-heck, we gave Lynn McGruder a second chance and he turned out great. I'm just not a big fan of players who seem to have controversy following them, especially QBs. DL can play in anonymity, but QBs?

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2007, 11:32 PM
i'm not sure i understand why we'd want him here.....we have nichols...dont we run the risk of having somebody transfer out if mustain comes here?

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2007, 11:35 PM
Also something that would concern me. If we need to bring a QB in it's a guy who starts this year. Mustain can't play this next year, and then he's got the same eligibility as Nichol and Bradford. That's a pretty major bottleneck.

okienole3
1/17/2007, 11:56 PM
I am fine with Mustain coming, so long as he leaves his mommy in Arkansas.

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2007, 12:20 AM
YEah, yeah. Mustain is SUPPOSEDLY in Norman tonight visiting. Now, I am not going to let people take me at 100% proof positive on this, this is what a couple of friends of mine in Norman have said (that they saw him - oh, and w/out Mommy Mustain).

I have mixed feelings about him. One, I don't think he's totally to blame for the Arkansas thing. I think Nutt is more to blame than anyone in that situation. Two, I know Stoops promised Nichol that he wouldn't take on another QB this year or next, but this is where I go into number three.

If you look at Mitch, he is going to have to sit out for 1 year before he can play. Then, feasibly, we could red shirt him. That would mean - assuming for the sake of saying, that Nichol got the job his frosh year - in Nichol's junior year, Mitch would be a sophomore backup.

My gut tells me though that he will end up in T-Town. He can be the MAN for 3 years after Paul's Sr. campaign.

lcaldwell1
1/18/2007, 12:22 AM
personally I dont know if I would want mustain in norman..i mean he has been causing a lot of problems, and we had enough of that with bomar

soonerboomer93
1/18/2007, 12:24 AM
I'd rather not see Mustain here

soonerboomer93
1/18/2007, 12:25 AM
YEah, yeah. Mustain is SUPPOSEDLY in Norman tonight visiting. Now, I am not going to let people take me at 100% proof positive on this, this is what a couple of friends of mine in Norman have said (that they saw him - oh, and w/out Mommy Mustain).

I have mixed feelings about him. One, I don't think he's totally to blame for the Arkansas thing. I think Nutt is more to blame than anyone in that situation. Two, I know Stoops promised Nichol that he wouldn't take on another QB this year or next, but this is where I go into number three.

If you look at Mitch, he is going to have to sit out for 1 year before he can play. Then, feasibly, we could red shirt him. That would mean - assuming for the sake of saying, that Nichol got the job his frosh year - in Nichol's junior year, Mitch would be a sophomore backup.

My gut tells me though that he will end up in T-Town. He can be the MAN for 3 years after Paul's Sr. campaign.

The year he has to sit out is basically his redshirt year. You can't sit him out, then redshirt him, the transfer rules don't allow it (from my understanding)

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2007, 12:36 AM
The year he has to sit out is basically his redshirt year. You can't sit him out, then redshirt him, the transfer rules don't allow it (from my understanding)

Didn't know that. If so, thanks for the info. :)

Frozen Sooner
1/18/2007, 01:18 AM
Yup. Five years to play four, whether you're eligible to compete or not. I mean, you could redshirt Mustain, but you'd still lose that year of eligibility.

SgtSooner
1/18/2007, 01:52 PM
Boys I say bring him in and let him compete and attempt to gain the respect of the coaches and players. They will all sort it out and determine if he is a problem or headcase. If he were to come here to God's country then that is it. He screws up and he is transferring to UCO or Southwestern level. He surely realizes that and would be asked by the coaching staff of his committment level.

The Consumate Showman
1/18/2007, 02:23 PM
My uncle shot me an update from scout I think...maybe rivals, I can't remember which he is on, but in no other words, Mustain is not coming to OU and OU was never interested. I'm gonna have to straighten out my friends with their inability to recognize faces!

Widescreen
1/18/2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, there are a couple of guys at rivals saying Mustain won't be going to OU. One guy said that Stoops gave him a "thanks but not thanks". I know it's true because "one guy at rivals" said it.

TopDawg
1/18/2007, 04:30 PM
"thanks but not thanks".

Now that is coachspeak in its finest form.