PDA

View Full Version : Boise's linebackers are better than OUrs

Ash
12/31/2006, 12:37 PM
and the D-Line is just as good. At least according to Pete Fiutak (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6293872)

When all is said and done, this might turn out to be one of the most important games in BCS history.

Ummm...OK?

AzianSooner
12/31/2006, 12:40 PM
and they do liftweight too during the season.

fadada1
12/31/2006, 12:53 PM
who the **** is pete fiutak, and what are his credentials???

did this guy even play football outside of intramurals???

Ash
12/31/2006, 01:09 PM
I'm all for giving Boise credit for being a decent team and having a good season.

But I'd give the edge to our front seven in this game.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/31/2006, 01:39 PM
I don't know that I would totally disagree with the assessment on the LB's. Hall for Boise is a hammer. The others are supposed to be pretty darn athletic. Our LB's I don't think are particularly physically dominant. The difference in OUr first half of the year performance and second half as far as linebackers are concerned is that we played the second half in position and tackled well. But I don't think anyone was really laying cracks on people. Heck some of the better hits this second half have come from Harris (granted, our "fourth LB"), Holmes, and Williams.

Where his analysis breaks down: DL.

Not comparable in my book... at all. We go two deep at both DE's, two deep at both DT's, and all completely interchangeable. We can rotate all game and wear down their o-front. I don't think they have the same capability from a personnel standpoint.

Blues1
12/31/2006, 01:40 PM
Reading Several Previews of the Fiesta Bowl make all them sound Like a Close game is at hand...they almost make Believe I'm way off base with my prediction....But I'm hanging tough.

Sooners 52 BS State 22..... :)
Rock On'

Widescreen
12/31/2006, 01:56 PM
This OU team isn't really built to light up the scoreboard so that will inherently create closer games than we've seen in the past. I'm expecting a 34-20 type game.

Ash
12/31/2006, 01:57 PM
I don't know that I would totally disagree with the assessment on the LB's. Hall for Boise is a hammer. The others are supposed to be pretty darn athletic. Our LB's I don't think are particularly physically dominant. The difference in OUr first half of the year performance and second half as far as linebackers are concerned is that we played the second half in position and tackled well. But I don't think anyone was really laying cracks on people. Heck some of the better hits this second half have come from Harris (granted, our "fourth LB"), Holmes, and Williams.

Not comparable in my book... at all. We go two deep at both DE's, two deep at both DT's, and all completely interchangeable. We can rotate all game and wear down their o-front. I don't think they have the same capability from a personnel standpoint.

I wouldn't say that their backers and D-Line are complete duds. But, we've got a number of NFL prospects in our front seven, not just decent players.

Can they claim the same? Maybe some of those guys go, I don't know. But I'd give OUr front seven the edge.

soonerloyal
12/31/2006, 03:31 PM
FSN's Petros Papadakis likes Boise State with his "Three Degrees of Separation" theory.

I'm getting a bit peeved being told by some that we really don't have much of a chance. I know there are plenty of beople telling the Broncos the same thing, but...it's getting pretty damn old having our team painted the bad guy, overconfident with little to back it up.

I'm giving Boise State the credit I believe they greatly deserve. Is it wrong of me to think we are going to WIN, for Pete's sake?!

Scott D
12/31/2006, 03:34 PM
Fine, so the team isn't full of a who's who of NFL prospects like Oklahoma, but Korey Hall, Colt Brooks, Andrew Browning, and the rest of the defensive front seven are all good enough to hang tough against the pound Sooner running game, and the offense can certainly put up points if it gets into a groove.

Where in that does it say their front seven is as good as our front seven?

StoopTroup
12/31/2006, 03:35 PM
AD gets 3 TDs and 175 yards before they pull him.

sooner518
12/31/2006, 03:36 PM
Boise St>Oregon St>USC>Oregon>Oklahoma

It's science.

badger
12/31/2006, 03:44 PM
If you think Oklahoma supposedly has an inferiority complex that leads us to want to crush everyone in football, how about Idaho and their BCS bid?

omg, undefeated season.

Ash
12/31/2006, 04:09 PM
Where in that does it say their front seven is as good as our front seven?

See the ratings he gives each team about half way down the page.

SleestakSooner
12/31/2006, 04:44 PM
He also thinks that BS receivers are as good as OU's. There may have been a few dropped balls for the Sooners this season but not that many and none that memorable.

I have to think that since he didn't mention a single receiver for either team (he did mention TE Finley, but only as a member of the O-line) in his long winded article that he hasn't watched many (if any at all) games in which either team has played.

I don't know about BS talent at that position, but I would have to give OU receivers at least a 4 out of 5 rating. If he thinks PT and OU's offense can't rely on the pass to win games, he obviously didn't watch the Big XII CCG.

Scott D
12/31/2006, 04:48 PM
See the ratings he gives each team about half way down the page.

I'd wager that 90% of his ratings are based upon statistics, which can be misleading in the first place.

ie...their run defense being so high (when you are ahead by a decent margin in most games teams won't run trying to catch up). You could argue the same about their run offense numbers being inflated.

Stitch Face
12/31/2006, 04:55 PM
I think it'll be close but we still win by four TDs.

OU: 182

BSU: 147

Ash
12/31/2006, 04:55 PM
I'd wager that 90% of his ratings are based upon statistics, which can be misleading in the first place.

ie...their run defense being so high (when you are ahead by a decent margin in most games teams won't run trying to catch up). You could argue the same about their run offense numbers being inflated.

I agree. Which is why I was surprised that he'd throw those numbers up there in the first place. He could have said: "by the numbers" the two D lines look equal..."

I'd still give OUs the edge in this game. Just bigger, better players overall.

That doesn't mean Boise has no talent, or that they can't or won't play well. But a head-to-head I don't see how he figures the match-up, but you're prolly on to something.

Scott D
12/31/2006, 05:41 PM
I agree. Which is why I was surprised that he'd throw those numbers up there in the first place. He could have said: "by the numbers" the two D lines look equal..."

I'd still give OUs the edge in this game. Just bigger, better players overall.

That doesn't mean Boise has no talent, or that they can't or won't play well. But a head-to-head I don't see how he figures the match-up, but you're prolly on to something.

eh, saying they look equal doesn't create discussion nor does it increase subscription rates. We had this discussion about Rohde and Trammel ;)

Ash
12/31/2006, 05:44 PM
eh, saying they look equal doesn't create discussion nor does it increase subscription rates. We had this discussion about Rohde and Trammel ;)

very true. :cool:

OUinFLA
12/31/2006, 07:41 PM
It was a bit irritating watching the Dolphins game tonight listening to the announcers saying "I hope BSU wins this game. It would be so interesting to see how the BCS handles the outcome."

Im thinking...............gag, I hope OU wins this game, cause........
IM AN OU HOMER and I dont much care how the BCS handles any of it's annual controversies.

franklinjake
12/31/2006, 08:58 PM
I am just glad the game is less than 24 hours away and the talk is over. LETS GET IT ON!!!!

OU - 77
Boise State 10

King Crimson
12/31/2006, 09:00 PM
we better come to play, if we want to win. IMO.

Ash
12/31/2006, 09:39 PM
Now Forde's on the BSU bandwagon, as is George Mason University and the rest of America I guess

Us Against teh Wurld (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2715800&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1)

There will be plenty of emotional capital spent on the Broncos nationwide Monday night -- and it won't just be from George Mason. Every school outside of the well-fed 65 in the big six conferences will be Broncos fans for a day. And almost every football fan who doesn't sing along with "Boomer Sooner" will be pulling for Boise as well.

Another key ingredient would have to be some level of inherent disrespect for the Broncos by the Sooners. Stoops is too good a coach to let on any such thing -- but you do wonder whether Oklahoma's players look at Boise anywhere near the way they look at, say, Texas.

Stoops was expounding on another subject Sunday when he said teams who play weaker schedules tend to be overrated.

"All anybody looks for are wins and losses," he said. "If you play a weak schedule, your statistics are better and you're ranked higher. Then when it comes time for you guys (the media) analyzing teams, sometimes I don't know that it's paid attention to a lot."

Upon hearing that, the natural inclination is to cast an eye at Boise's schedule, which Jeff Sagarin rates the 100th toughest in the country. (He ranks Oklahoma's 33rd.) So, Bob, how about evaluating Boise's sked?

"It's not for me to do," Stoops said, backpedaling like the all-Big Ten defensive back he once was. "I watch all those teams play in the WAC. There's a lot of good football teams. I've watched many of them play through bowl season. They've all played well."

starrca23
12/31/2006, 09:58 PM
blah blah blah...

Ash
12/31/2006, 10:07 PM
blah blah blah...

me or Forde? :mad:
;)

franklinjake
12/31/2006, 10:25 PM
me or Forde? :mad:
;)
I hope he meant Forde, because I sure was! Good job on finding those quotes from Stoops though, I had not heard those.....

franklinjake
12/31/2006, 10:26 PM
we better come to play, if we want to win. IMO.
Stoops won't let that happen, imho

Ash
12/31/2006, 10:26 PM
I hope he meant Forde, because I sure was! Good job on finding those quotes from Stoops though, I had not heard those.....

It's all OK. I've said the same thing about Forde's column in the past. I did think some of the quotes were interesting though.

franklinjake
12/31/2006, 11:14 PM
It's all OK. I've said the same thing about Forde's column in the past. I did think some of the quotes were interesting though.

I agree. But how often is Forde right???? Seems like he likes the underdog always, and is very rarely right..... And is an OU hater anyways...:rolleyes:

OKC-SLC
12/31/2006, 11:56 PM

But we're still doomed and ****, right Odie?

soonerloyal
1/1/2007, 12:11 AM
Yup. Doomed and ****. The Boys from Boise are just too much for us to handle.

I'll be cowering in a darkened room with my head covered, if anyone needs me...

SoonerBorn68
1/1/2007, 08:13 AM
All these "analyists" are forgetting one thing. The bookies are giving 7 1/2 to BS.

Sounds like Vegas knows what's up. :)

Cam
1/1/2007, 12:43 PM
F*** Boise State