PDA

View Full Version : Miami Herald: Bama to offer Saban $40 million

CShine
12/31/2006, 09:50 AM
How about the rumor that has coach Nick Saban bolting for the University of Alabama after Miami's season finale Sunday in Indianapolis? Saban has reiterated that he is not interested in coaching Alabama. Huizenga said he has spoken with Saban several times since the university began showing interest -- and is convinced Saban is staying.

''If he didn't stay, it would be huge news to me,'' Huizenga said.

However, that doesn't mean that Alabama won't make the situation interesting. As early as Sunday evening or Monday, the school is expected to make Saban a firm and lucrative offer to leave the Dolphins.

Alabama officials and Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton, have spoken at least three times since Mike Shula was fired as Alabama's coach, although there has been no contact in recent weeks. During those talks, university representatives did not make a firm contractual offer, but did discuss parameters of a deal -- approximately $4 million annually. There also was talk of a signing bonus in the $7 million range.

Alabama's offer is expected to be much more than the $15 million Saban is owed for the three years remaining on his contract. The difference could amount to a guarantee in the $40 million range against Miami's $15 million.

Oklahoma's Bob Stoops is the highest-paid college football coach at $3.4 million annually. Alabama intends to give Saban a chance to become the country's highest-paid college coach.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16350200.htm

ClintonSooner
12/31/2006, 09:52 AM
Well...should we just stop playing football...:D

Flying Scotsman
12/31/2006, 09:53 AM
yes, and concede the next 14 National Championships to 'Bama.....

hogsone
12/31/2006, 09:59 AM
Saben would be then the highest played coach in the country. But he would also be the best.

Widescreen
12/31/2006, 09:59 AM
Like anyone has a choice.

ClintonSooner
12/31/2006, 10:00 AM
Saben would be then the highest played coach in the country. But he would also be the best.

Im just gonna say this for everyone

STFU ****ing faggot....go die....piggy

Flagstaffsooner
12/31/2006, 10:20 AM
Im just gonna say this for everyone

STFU ****ing faggot....go die....piggySPEK!

Rogue
12/31/2006, 10:42 AM
My negspekker must be broken.

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2006, 10:44 AM

Pffffffffffft.

Rhino
12/31/2006, 11:37 AM
Psychos.

Blues1
12/31/2006, 11:42 AM
If Saban Does come back to College Football (Bama) -- Looks Like it Would prove again "The Pro Jobs" are NOT all they are cracked up to be.....

Anybody Listening & Watching at OU ......?? --- :)

TripleOption14
12/31/2006, 11:57 AM
If this does go down; everyone in Sooner land might as well get ready to antie up again. Man, college presidents have got to be praying for this not to happen.

badger
12/31/2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that Saben would really be better than that Stoopes guy... because he has more money.

TO is also the best receiver, because he has the most money...

OSU has the best athletic department, because they earned the most money this year...

And Bill Gates is the best guy in the country... because he has the most money!!!

:pop:

hogsone
12/31/2006, 05:48 PM
outside of Stoops who would be a better coach then Saben.

We all know mack is not.

Big Red Ron
12/31/2006, 05:50 PM

We all know mack is not.Tressle, Carroll, Tedford...

hogsone
12/31/2006, 05:57 PM
Carroll maybe on a par with him but the other two are a long way from being as good IMHO.

Scott D
12/31/2006, 06:20 PM

We all know mack is not.

I think Nick SabAn would probably be a better coach than this SabEn guy.

batonrougesooner
12/31/2006, 06:26 PM
Why leave LSU for Miami if you are just going to go back to college after two years?

AllAboutThe'O'
12/31/2006, 06:38 PM
Carroll maybe on a par with him but the other two are a long way from being as good IMHO.
Uh, I would say Tressel is a better coach right now than Rah-Rah Carroll. Especially if tOSU wins next week.

Texas Golfer
12/31/2006, 06:39 PM
Why leave LSU for Miami if you are just going to go back to college after two years?

He'd make more money than any other college coach and wouldn't have to put up with the primadonna pro attitudes.

Crimsontothecore
12/31/2006, 06:51 PM
Not so fast. Remember, osu is going to have the "best facilities in the country" in a couple of years so I guess you would have to assume they will get 7 of those 14 NC's.

OUinFLA
12/31/2006, 07:35 PM
Like anyone has a choice.

Eggzackly!

spek to you my friend.

tulsaoilerfan
12/31/2006, 07:39 PM
Much as i hate Petey, both him and Tressel are much better than Saban

OUinFLA
12/31/2006, 07:48 PM
$40 million dollars?

hmmm, anyone else see any irony in an educational institution shelling out that much dough for a football coach? <shakes head>

I know, I know, a winning coach brings in big bucks, it's good publicity, but somewhere along the line..........something is just becoming wrong.

How many future doctors, heart surgeons, research scientists, computer geeks, mathematicians, geologists, physicists, politicians, etc. actually chose a school based on their football record?

Oh, wait, Im sorry, none of that is as important as we football forum SPONSORS.

:D

Scott D
12/31/2006, 09:09 PM
He'd make more money than any other college coach and wouldn't have to put up with the primadonna pro attitudes.

nah, just primadonna Bama attitudes :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/31/2006, 09:17 PM
I bet Tidefans is ****ed, Mark May basically just said Tuscalloosa is a ****hole.. :P Oh and then he ****ed off Minnesota by saying they will always suck too

badger
12/31/2006, 09:46 PM
or weed smokin' ricky

OUinFLA
12/31/2006, 11:07 PM
Bama fans are anxiously awaiting an end to their coaching search

http://joe-ks.com/archives_may2002/Waiting4Raise.jpg

ouwasp
1/1/2007, 12:03 AM
Gosh, you'd think for 30 mill or so, Bama could hire some cloning wizard to bring back the Bear...:confused:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/1/2007, 12:37 AM
Stoops, Tedford, Tressel, and maybe even Spurrier and Urban Meyer, could all be better than Saban.

jrsooner
1/1/2007, 10:13 AM
$40 million dollars?
hmmm, anyone else see any irony in an educational institution shelling out that much dough for a football coach? <shakes head>
I know, I know, a winning coach brings in big bucks, it's good publicity, but somewhere along the line..........something is just becoming wrong. Yep, I agree. It is starting to get out of hand, and people wonder why Congress wants to look into NCAAs non-profit status. ;)

GORILLA BALL
1/1/2007, 12:44 PM

i have been think the same thing, you would think the guy would do his homework and look at the spurrier, carroll situations. The NFL stands for Not For Long.