PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chron blog - Big 12 South: OU and the five dwarfs

jrsooner
12/30/2006, 11:55 PM
Sooners getting some love from the Houston Chronicle...the horns down here didn't care for the comments.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/12/big_12_south_ou.html

December 29, 2006
Big 12 South: OU and the five dwarfs
Bad news is coming in waves for Bob Stoops. This should be a great time for him. After all, he has just done his finest coaching job at OU. The Sooners won their fourth Big 12 championship in his eight seasons and are in a BCS game for the fifth time. He's 86-18 overall.

Next season is the one that's starting to fall apart. Yes, the Sooners probably will be the consensus preseason No. 1 pick. His problem is the rest of the Big 12 South. It's so weak that the strength-of-schedule thing is going to be working against him. Even if the Sooners crush both Texas and A&M--and that seems like a foregone conclusion at this point--OU can't afford even one slip.

That's the thought I had after watching A&M's total collapse against Cal in the Holiday Bowl. Turns out, that Aggie victory over Texas didn't mean much. Texas is now nothing more than a run-of-the-mill team, and the Holiday Bowl proved it.

The final score of 45-10 doesn't even begin to tell how lopsided the Holiday Bowl was. The hapless Aggies allowed Cal to score 31 straight points. The hapless Aggie defense gave up 476 yards, including 241 on the ground. Cal averaged 7.5 per rushing attempt. I love Coach Fran and have defended him against all the Aggies who want him fired. This game should be an embarrassment, not just in losing by 35 points, but in continuing to run that 19th century offense out there.

And remember this is the team that beat Texas. Now Texas has to play a Big Ten team in the Alamo Bowl, and you can guess how that's going to turn out. Tough bad, Coach Stoops.

MiccoMacey
12/31/2006, 01:02 AM
It has merit about the Big Twelve sucking this year (and possibly next).

A&M beats Texas, A&M gets hammered by Cal, Texas barely beats a 6-6 Iowa team (now 6-7). Tech comes back from 149 points down, K-State gets hammered by a Big East team, Missouri and OSU are the only teams to represent the conference with "quality" play (and Missouri lost, while OSU barely beat another 6-7 team).

utex74
12/31/2006, 01:12 AM
It has merit about the Big Twelve sucking this year (and possibly next).

A&M beats Texas, A&M gets hammered by Cal, Texas barely beats a 6-6 Iowa team (now 6-7). Tech comes back from 149 points down, K-State gets hammered by a Big East team, Missouri and OSU are the only teams to represent the conference with "quality" play (and Missouri lost, while OSU barely beat another 6-7 team).

OK. I concede beating Iowa by 2 is nothing to write home about, but how does OSU beating a bad Alabama team with the same record turn into "quality play"? Seems like a wash to me. Just curious. Seriously.

SleestakSooner
12/31/2006, 01:29 AM
Don't like being comparable to OSU do ya? LOL get used to it whorn :)

The difference being that aggie light came in with a .500 record and left winners. Texas underachieved like crazy and hasn't really shown much to hang their hats on for next season.

Salt City Sooner
12/31/2006, 02:59 AM
Take a look at our losses to this point:

Sun Bowl- #5 team in the Big 12 (edged KSU & Tech by virtue of head to head over both) vs. #3 in the Pac 10

Texas Bowl- KSU (ties Tech for 6th in the B12) vs. Rutgers (#3 in the Big East & THISCLOSE to going BCS'ing)

Holiday Bowl- Cal (loses Pac 10 title to USC on tie-breaker) vs. A&M (#4 in the B12)

B12 wins:

-Independence- OSU (#8 in B12) vs. 'Bama (#9 in SEC)

Insight- Tech (T-6th in B12) vs. Minny (#6 in B10)

Alamo- Horns (#2 B12) vs. Iowa (#8 B10)

To say the least, we haven't had the best of matchups to this point, save Iowa vs. 'horns.

AzianSooner
12/31/2006, 12:43 PM
I think Texas tech will win big 12 next year.

kevpks
12/31/2006, 02:27 PM
Texas Tech has given me no indication that they are a championship caliber team. They are a very dangerous team that could beat anyone on a given day, but their track record against Texas and OU is not good. Tech is and will always be erratic. It is the nature of their system.

2007 Big XII standings

South
OU
Texas
Texas Tech
A&M
OSU
Baylor

North
Who cares. The North is worthless.

sooneron
12/31/2006, 02:34 PM
I think to say that we beat texas going away next year is goofy.

reevie
12/31/2006, 09:20 PM
I think to say that we beat texas going away next year is goofy.

Yep. If we have a QB who lights up Miami, then maybe we can call it a foregone conclusion.

picasso
1/1/2007, 12:05 AM
OK. I concede beating Iowa by 2 is nothing to write home about, but how does OSU beating a bad Alabama team with the same record turn into "quality play"? Seems like a wash to me. Just curious. Seriously.
gotta agree. Bama was slower than Grandma.

OUinFLA
1/1/2007, 12:11 AM
gotta agree. Bama was slower than Grandma.

but.... us old guys want to know....
is she hawt?

MyT Oklahoma
1/1/2007, 07:38 AM
but.... us old guys want to know....
is she hawt?

And.. what's her daughter look like?