PDA

View Full Version : Suck it Bowl Game haters

sanantoniosooner
12/29/2006, 11:55 PM
greatest come back ever.

Tech made me cheer.

Sometimes a pirate can cry after a game.

KABOOKIE
12/30/2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah! Tech comes back down 31 points and advances to the qtr finals to play Kentucky! Wait...........

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah! Tech comes back down 31 points and advances to the qtr finals to play Kentucky! Wait...........
neither of these teams would have been in a playoff.

This game wouldn't have existed.

KABOOKIE
12/30/2006, 12:07 AM
Maybe in your gay-*** playoff scenario. :D

boomersooner28
12/30/2006, 12:07 AM
HOLY BAT****!!! I turned that game off and started playing video games an hour ago....:mad:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/30/2006, 12:08 AM
The way the whorns' aggies stunk up the field against the California Bears, it was sorta nice to see Sand Aggy win one for the conference.(although it doesn't help our recruiting so much). Now I can root with FULL force against the whorns tomorrow, since the conference has been slightly vindicated.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 12:09 AM
Maybe in your gay-*** playoff scenario. :D
How many teams would have to be in a playoff to include these two teams?

Probably 32

Keep dreaming nancyboy.

Ash
12/30/2006, 12:12 AM
Great comeback, but it doesn't excuse the Internation Bowl or it's kind

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 12:14 AM
Allowing a group of seniors to go out on a note like this and giving a team the recruiting edge totally excuses bowls like this.

Just because you don't want to watch it doesn't diminish the value of it.

Ash
12/30/2006, 12:16 AM
Allowing a group of seniors to go out on a note like this and giving a team the recruiting edge totally excuses bowls like this.

Just because you don't want to watch it doesn't diminish the value of it.

Not this bowl, check your schedule. Remember when going to a January bowl meant something?

Sure, let the lower tier bowls stay if they want. But Troy vs. whoever was a joke. Or New Mexico inviting themselves to their own bowl. :rolleyes:

It's not a complete loss, there's something to be said for the "bowl experience" but you have to admit it's gone overboard.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 12:21 AM
I admit the whining about it has gone overboard.

For short reference, I'd like to see an extra game after the bowls for a champion, but I'm against destroying the bowl system.

Believe it or not, Troy has fans and has to recruit. Their bowl was incredibly significant to them.

Playoff fans are in a tight spot if they miss the old days, but want a playoff system also.

Ash
12/30/2006, 12:26 AM
I admit the whining about it has gone overboard.

For short reference, I'd like to see an extra game after the bowls for a champion, but I'm against destroying the bowl system.

Believe it or not, Troy has fans and has to recruit. Their bowl was incredibly significant to them.

Playoff fans are in a tight spot if they miss the old days, but want a playoff system also.

I see where you're coming from, but every program has seniors playing, fans and has to recruit. Those shouldn't be the criteria.

Should other teams besides the top BCS conference teams have bowls? Sure. But there's a billion of them now and it's gotten to the point where the match-ups aren't always worth watching.

TUSooner
12/30/2006, 12:28 AM
I'd like a playoff between the top 4 (or maybe 8), but I like these little "meaningless" bowl games because ANY college FB is better than none. There's only about 300 channels these days, so if you don;t like the little bowls, you can always watch basketball, or the latest Crap TV - poker. :D

Egeo
12/30/2006, 12:31 AM
HOLY BAT****!!! I turned that game off and started playing video games an hour ago....:mad:
same here

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 12:32 AM
it's gotten to the point where the match-ups aren't always worth watching.
TO YOU.

I hate to break this to you, but when OU kicked FSU 13-2 most nonSooner fans were bored to death. A games value is to it's fans. An awesome game is appreciated by anybodies fans.

There's a lot of things I don't care for that are appreciated by others.

Egeo
12/30/2006, 12:33 AM
I'd like a playoff between the top 4 (or maybe 8), but I like these little "meaningless" bowl games because ANY college FB is better than none. There's only about 300 channels these days, so if you don;t like the little bowls, you can always watch basketball, or the latest Crap TV - poker. :D
i completely agree (soon, cfb will be over)
they may not all be matchups you want to watch, but somebody else probably wants to watch it
im sure the troy players were happy to be in any bowl

alot of teams have goals that are - make a bowl game!

id like to have a small playoff (6 or 8) and keep the rest of the bowls

Ash
12/30/2006, 12:39 AM
TO YOU.

I hate to break this to you, but when OU kicked FSU 13-2 most nonSooner fans were bored to death. A games value is to it's fans. An awesome game is appreciated by anybodies fans.

There's a lot of things I don't care for that are appreciated by others.

So you're comparing the National Championship game to the New Mexico Bowl????

C'mon now, you're previous argument was more convincing...or heck, TUs argument that any college fb is better than none...

Look, if you want to watch Central Muskeegan Community College go up against Northern Minnesota Sewing School in the Wahthafugg Bowl, that's fine. I don't see why that's so great or what that has to do with tonight's TT game. But you go on ahead. I'll find something else to do with my time.

Fiatil
12/30/2006, 01:17 PM
Figures the one bowl game that I don't have the channel for is the only one worth watching.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 01:25 PM
So you're comparing the National Championship game to the New Mexico Bowl????

C'mon now, you're previous argument was more convincing...or heck, TUs argument that any college fb is better than none...

Look, if you want to watch Central Muskeegan Community College go up against Northern Minnesota Sewing School in the Wahthafugg Bowl, that's fine. I don't see why that's so great or what that has to do with tonight's TT game. But you go on ahead. I'll find something else to do with my time.
Somewhere right now there is some rerun of Oprah that I'm NOT bitching about.

You are welcome to watch whatever you want. If you are "footballed" out, you can catch up on Soaps.

and btw...all of the different "reasons" for supporting a bowl game are in addition to each other, not instead of each other.

Ash
12/30/2006, 01:32 PM
Somewhere right now there is some rerun of Oprah that I'm NOT bitching about.

You are welcome to watch whatever you want. If you are "footballed" out, you can catch up on Soaps.

Whoever you think you're talking to, it isn't me. I don't sit around watching **** on TV I'm not interested in just to bitch about it.

Maybe, in some cases, it goes more like this:
Gee, I like college football and it's bowl season, oh goody!
Gee, think I'll tune into this game, I've never seen these teams and I'm curious.
[part way through the game]Good gawd, this game sucks donkey balls, why are these teams in a bowl game? Think I'll a) change channel b) spend time with the fam c) clean garage...

Then, someone brings up the subject, and I interject: Yeah, I saw that game it sucked, the teams sucked, why is that worthy of post-season play?

And then self-righteous tards come on teh innerbweb and want to run people down for that and similar opinions.

Usually, I enjoy your posts SAS, but you seem to have a wild hair up your ***. When you get it fixed we can resume a conversation.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 01:35 PM
Hey, it's just conversation. But I do think it's arrogant and shortsighted to deem bowl useless that don't appeal to your palate.

Like I said. The OU/FSU game was boring to most fans. If it wasn't for all the marbles, there would have been ZERO appeal outside of the two fan bases.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/30/2006, 01:40 PM
sidebar: Minnesota really... really...really SUCKS! You should hear the meltdown going on here in the TC. People want Mason GONE. Even though he's brought them to a lot more success than they've experienced under just about any coach from 1960 on it is hard to blame them. They have underachieved on a relative scale. He has made big enemies in the community (he is a supreme jackass along the "don't you know who I am?" variety), he's either the first or second highest paid coach in the Big Tenleven, and he hasn't had even one finish in the upper half of the conference, not to mention no New Year's Day bowls, not even the second tier ones. Throw that up against what guys like Barnett, Alvarez, Tiller and Ferentz have done at Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa respectively.... Well, it makes a lot of sense to dump the guy and his ego.

Sooner_Bob
12/30/2006, 01:47 PM
neither of these teams would have been in a playoff.

So?

This game wouldn't have existed.

Bull. You can have a playoff system and keep the same bowl structure.;)

Ash
12/30/2006, 01:48 PM
Hey, it's just conversation. But I do think it's arrogant and shortsighted to deem bowl useless that don't appeal to your palate.

Like I said. The OU/FSU game was boring to most fans. If it wasn't for all the marbles, there would have been ZERO appeal outside of the two fan bases.

Granted. But that's not where I was coming from. I already said that i'm not totally opposed to the bowl system. But that it seems to have gotten out of hand when you have so many bowls that lower tier bowls are being played in January.

If you're going to keep the bowl system, fine, but I'd like to see some of the tradition - such as big-time bowls on Jan. 1st - rather than seeing new bowls pop up like internet viruses.

I AGREE that we shouldn't deprive some teams of the experience just because it isn't someone's cup of tea. But national interest and quality of games are two different things. I just think that the number of bowls is starting to dilute the quality at this point (not that bowl match-ups have ever always been perfect).

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 01:50 PM
So?

Bull. You can have a playoff system and keep the same bowl structure.;)
using the top 4 teams in the bowl and adding one more game would maintain the significance of the bowl.

If you expand it beyond that you might as well scrap all the bowls.

Sooner_Bob
12/30/2006, 01:52 PM
If you expand it beyond that you might as well scrap all the bowls.

Why?

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 01:54 PM
But national interest and quality of games are two different things. I just think that the number of bowls is starting to dilute the quality at this point (not that bowl match-ups have ever always been perfect).
How can you tell that a matchup will suck until the game is played?

I thought Tech would blow the doors off Minnesota.

Then they were getting their butts kicked.

Then they managed the greatest bowl comeback ever.

OU was picked by most to beat SC a few years back.

You don't know what you'll get until it gets played.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 01:56 PM
Why?
The Bowls become the NIT if there is an expanded playoff IMO.

I'd love to see 1 V 4 and 2 V 3 in the Bowls and then a Championship after bowl season is over.

Sooner_Bob
12/30/2006, 01:59 PM
The Bowls become the NIT if there is an expanded playoff IMO.

I'd love to see 1 V 4 and 2 V 3 in the Bowls and then a Championship after bowl season is over.

Soo. Neither Tech or Minnesota had a shot at winning a title and they still gave us the best bowl game to date.

What's wrong with the NIT? Do you think the teams that play in it don't give it their all?

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 02:05 PM
Soo. Neither Tech or Minnesota had a shot at winning a title and they still gave us the best bowl game to date.

What's wrong with the NIT? Do you think the teams that play in it don't give it their all?
Nobody starts out the season WANTING to play in the NIT.

The bowls need to be utilized in the playoff, but if you play one bowl to get to another bowl you have a screwed up mess.

Ash
12/30/2006, 02:06 PM
How can you tell that a matchup will suck until the game is played?

I thought Tech would blow the doors off Minnesota.

Then they were getting their butts kicked.

Then they managed the greatest bowl comeback ever.

OU was picked by most to beat SC a few years back.

You don't know what you'll get until it gets played.

OK, I get it. You're not reading my posts, you're just responding to them.

How can you tell? Dunno, you tell me. Guess that's why I said that bowl match-ups have never been perfect - guess you could add the qualifier "and sometimes stink."

I'm glad you really liked the game last night - so did I - it was an awesome comeback. What that has to do with anything I've posted in this thread is beyond me.

Obviously you've got an axe to grind about this subject with someone. Carry on...

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 02:09 PM
OK, I get it. You're not reading my posts, you're just responding to them.

How can you tell? Dunno, you tell me. Guess that's why I said that bowl match-ups have never been perfect - guess you could add the qualifier "and sometimes stink."

I'm glad you really liked the game last night - so did I - it was an awesome comeback. What that has to do with anything I've posted in this thread is beyond me.

Obviously you've got an axe to grind about this subject with someone. Carry on...
Teams that are .500 should not play in bowls. I agree with that.

What is your other gripe? Because two slightly above average teams play a boring game?

Ash
12/30/2006, 02:36 PM
Teams that are .500 should not play in bowls. I agree with that.

What is your other gripe? Because two slightly above average teams play a boring game?

Actually, I think we're more on the same page than our posts would reveal.

I think one way to get more compelling match-ups would be to eliminate the .500 teams. In fact, if bowl games were more about the quality of the teams, their records, their performance in conf. championship games (if applicable), I think you'd get more compelling match-ups.

My gripe is not with dud games, it's bound to happen no matter what system is in place.

My gripe is with the number of teams that probably don't deserve post season play finding their way into bowl games because there are so many slots to be filled. That goes for crappy BCS conference teams as well as crappy mid-majors. Can you perfectly predict who's gonna play lights out? I don't think so, but you can hedge toward teams with quality wins and good records.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 02:48 PM
I like a lot of teams being able to finish on a high note going into the next season.

No team should drop below .500 with a loss in the bowl though, so no .500 teams should play in one IMO.

Even that little rule would allow a lot of crappy matchups, but you see that kind of stuff in the 64 team tournament also.

Being consistent with CCGs would be another huge step that would clean the system up a little and provide some more quality matchups during the season.

Collier11
12/30/2006, 04:53 PM
greatest come back ever.

Tech made me cheer.

Ive never heard anyone, including myself who wants a playoff and thinks we should get rid of bowls games also... I am a major proponent of having a playoff whether it be 4 team or 16 team, and the teams not in the playoff get to go to a bowl game. Whats wrong with that???

SleestakSooner
12/30/2006, 05:59 PM
Quite a few things need to happen for college football to get closer to being able to crown a true NC.

I believe first and foremost the bowl games need to quit selling out completely to these major corporations. This is a game that is played by young men, many times to their own detriment, for the pride and honor of their schools. Corporate money needs to not be a factor in when games are played or who gets to play in them.

If you want to blame anyone for cheapening the college bowl experience look no further than big business and corporate greed. .500 teams are being invited to play in bowl games because every weed whacker company in the americas has its very own bowl game.

I agree almost completely with Ash on his take of this issue, and do sense that SAS is getting too Ticked off to think reasonably on this subject.

At least if these "tradition rich" extraneous bowl games were included somehow in a tournament scenario they would have true meaning to everyone, not just the fans and teams playing in them. And just perhaps more teams would actually "show up" with a decent effort if they knew the game meant more than retaining a plus .500 record.

Just my $.02 on the subject.

OklahomaRed
12/30/2006, 06:14 PM
greatest come back ever.

Tech made me cheer.

And it mattered how? I've seen some pretty exciting scrimmages and some pretty exciting pee-wee football games but they matter about as much as 31 of the 32 bowl games do.

Collier11
12/30/2006, 06:20 PM
And it mattered how? I've seen some pretty exciting scrimmages and some pretty exciting pee-wee football games but they matter about as much as 31 of the 32 bowl games do.

Dont be dogging pee wee football man, it doesnt get any better than that!!! ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 09:22 PM
I hope you are smarter than your post implies.

Sooner_Bob
12/31/2006, 10:42 AM

Didn't say that they did . . . just that if they end up there they usually actually try to win the thing.

The bowls need to be utilized in the playoff, but if you play one bowl to get to another bowl you have a screwed up mess.

The current BCS bowls could be used as the semis or quarter finals . . . keep the other bowls as they are.

TopDawg
12/31/2006, 12:36 PM

By the same token, nobody starts out the season WANTING to play in the Meinecke Car Care Bowl. They all start out WANTING to play in the title game.

But that doesn't mean that an eight-team playoff system would keep teams from putting "bowl game" on their list of goals for the year.

TopDawg
12/31/2006, 12:42 PM
I like a lot of teams being able to finish on a high note going into the next season.

No team should drop below .500 with a loss in the bowl though, so no .500 teams should play in one IMO.

I'd rather watch two .500 teams in OSU and Alabama battle it out than two above .500 teams like MTSU and CMU in a bowl game. Personally, I don't have a problem with the number of bowl games and I couldn't care less if most of them are meaningless to most college football fans. It's still a D-1A college football game and, for the most part, is enjoyable to watch.