PDA

View Full Version : Why do people eat at chain restaurants?

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 02:41 PM
This is a new pet peeve of mine. I hate chains, and it all stemmed from a recent vacation to Vermont where we saw the same restaurants running the same crappy skillet specials. I hate to get all Alton Brown, but they really are killing the local flavor of places, the food is not particularly good at most, and it's the same price or more expensive usually than local places.

This is why I'm not eating at chains any more. Lately, if I'm getting fast food, it's Sonic or Braums (I know Sonic is huge, but at least they're local)

The thing that blows my mind is that there are so many local restaraunts in Norman, there are lines out the doors at Chili's and Applebees, but we can't keep the West Side Othello's open?

Fugue
12/29/2006, 02:52 PM
I love chains.

Scott D
12/29/2006, 02:54 PM
I bet you do Farinelli, I bet you do.

Andy, ain't advertising power a bitch? :D

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 02:56 PM
I bet you do Farinelli, I bet you do.

Andy, ain't advertising power a bitch? :D
that must be it, we've all become lemmings. I'm getting to the point that it almost disgusts me.

edit: also, don't get me wrong. I understand that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances (needing a place that's kid friendly, going on a date and the other person wants something, etc...) and I'm not completely inflexible here, but I'm also blown away when Norman has Pepe Delgado's, Los Dos Amigos, Border Crossing, Tarahumara, etc... and El Chico and On the Border are packed out every weekend.

royalfan5
12/29/2006, 02:57 PM
In a word:Consistency

Most people don't like surprises, and will opt for guaranteed mediocrity over potential excellence.

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 03:00 PM
In a word:Consistency

Most people don't like surprises, and will opt for guaranteed mediocrity over potential excellence.
I think calling Olive Garden mediocre is giving them a little too much credit.

Oldnslo
12/29/2006, 03:10 PM
Ditto on the Pet. Peeve.

Your post takes me back to 1988. A bunch of us law students have made the trip to the OU/saxeT game. The whole trip down, I'm talking about all the cool places to go downtown and in Deep Ellum or just exploring for some new restaurant nobody has ever tried.

Bob, our driver, pulled into Chili's.

:miffed:

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2006, 03:13 PM
I was wondering about the west side Othello's. They seemed to be doing well. What happened?

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 03:22 PM
that place has to be cursed. my opinion is that whoever goes in there needs to subdivide it again (like it was when it was Bellini's) so the rent won't be so high and they don't have such a huge place to fill (a lot of assumptions are being made here)

it's awful that they closed though. Pizza and antipasto was enough for my wife, my sister and I to eat and it was excellent.

the_ouskull
12/29/2006, 03:35 PM
I was wondering about the west side Othello's. They seemed to be doing well. What happened?

They moved to downtown OKC. Also, they weren't putting enough money back into it... and lunches were a ghost town. They'd have been better off opening at 3 every day instead of having a lunch shift.

Also, I heard that the owners are looking to open a t*tty bar down by Riverwind, and a lot of their "business savvy" was going into that and not their actual cash cow. When West Othello's was on though, it was REALLY on. I liked that place.

the_ouskull

Pfunk
12/29/2006, 03:44 PM
I'm also blown away when Norman has Pepe Delgado's, Los Dos Amigos, Border Crossing, Tarahumara, etc... and El Chico and On the Border are packed out every weekend.

Tarahumara is the bomb!

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2006, 03:46 PM
CiCi's pizza is the bomb.............

:rolleyes: :D

TUSooner
12/29/2006, 06:58 PM
Amen to this premise of this thread. Chains are killing local restaurants because Americans Love Security (& Mediocrity).

Penguin
12/29/2006, 07:03 PM
I love the Olive Gardens! :mad:

Rogue
12/29/2006, 07:05 PM
We are an unimaginative lot. Somehow the chains have convinced folks that their trucked-in entree' specials are cleaner than fresh food. I've long shared the dismay about how all of the cracker barrell's, olive garden's, and Chilis' do better than unique local joints. I think that consistency may have something to do with it, and that's the success of many good locals (in Norman think Legends) but day-yum anyone that knows anything about Mexican food or BBQ knows that the nastiest little joints in the worst parts of town usually are the best culinary experiences. There are exceptions, like Uncle Julio's in Dallas and Ft. Worth, but this rule of thumb for Mexican and BBQ seldom fails.

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 07:14 PM
We are an unimaginative lot. Somehow the chains have convinced folks that their trucked-in entree' specials are cleaner than fresh food. I've long shared the dismay about how all of the cracker barrell's, olive garden's, and Chilis' do better than unique local joints. I think that consistency may have something to do with it, and that's the success of many good locals (in Norman think Legends) but day-yum anyone that knows anything about Mexican food or BBQ knows that the nastiest little joints in the worst parts of town usually are the best culinary experiences. There are exceptions, like Uncle Julio's in Dallas and Ft. Worth, but this rule of thumb for Mexican and BBQ seldom fails.
2 things:
1) oh my god, Uncle Julio's is good. plato gordo. why does no one else serve a cup of melted butter with their fajitas

2) cracker barrell is extra bizarre to me because they have all that fake, old looking Americana crap that was probably made in China. plus, the food's not particuularly good.

Jeopardude
12/29/2006, 07:36 PM
I hate chains, and it all stemmed from a recent vacation to Vermont where we saw the same restaurants running the same crappy skillet specials.

You just drove through Generica.

Rogue
12/29/2006, 08:05 PM
2 things:
1) oh my god, Uncle Julio's is good. plato gordo. why does no one else serve a cup of melted butter with their fajitas

I love the Cadillac Platter. A whole lobster and fajitas! :pop:
And their beans are scalded just right. :twinkies:

2) cracker barrell is extra bizarre to me because they have all that fake, old looking Americana crap that was probably made in China. plus, the food's not particuularly good.

The Cracker Barrell sign is like the new Tennessee State Flag or sumpthin'. Damn things are everywhere.

And why is it that nobody can make a good Caesar Salad Dressing these days?

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 08:14 PM
And why is it that nobody can make a good Caesar Salad Dressing these days?
everyone is afraid of raw eggs

Rhino
12/29/2006, 10:09 PM
Lil and I had Chili's tonight.

It was unimaginatively tasty.

LilSooner
12/29/2006, 10:15 PM
I will say that J&J Oyster Bar in Ft. Worth IS the best damn seafood that I have ever had outside of the state of California.

OUAndy1807
12/29/2006, 10:50 PM
Lil and I had Chili's tonight.

It was unimaginatively tasty.
that's bad, but if it was in Norman it was criminal. There are so many good, locally owned restaurants. That's one of the main reasons we're moving back.

Rhino
12/29/2006, 11:39 PM
that's bad, but if it was in Norman it was criminal. There are so many good, locally owned restaurants. That's one of the main reasons we're moving back. And I've eaten at 90% of the good ones since I've moved back.

None of them make a Chili's Chicken Ranch Sandwich.

soonerboomer93
12/29/2006, 11:40 PM
I eat TGI Fridays and Bennigans every chance I get

Sooner24
12/30/2006, 12:49 AM
2 things:

All of the stuff is real. They have people that go around the country doing nothing but buying antiques just for their stores.

The thing about a Chilis/Cracker Barrel/Red Lobster/Olive Garden is the fact when I pull off the interstate in some other state and want something to eat and get right back on the road, and I don't have time for Rachel Ray to find me the great hole in the wall $40 a day diner, I know what kind of food I am going to get.

There might be better food in whatever town it is but sometimes you have to go with what you know.

OUAndy1807
12/30/2006, 10:37 AM
All of the stuff is real. They have people that go around the country doing nothing but buying antiques just for their stores.

The thing about a Chilis/Cracker Barrel/Red Lobster/Olive Garden is the fact when I pull off the interstate in some other state and want something to eat and get right back on the road, and I don't have time for Rachel Ray to find me the great hole in the wall $40 a day diner, I know what kind of food I am going to get.

There might be better food in whatever town it is but sometimes you have to go with what you know.
yeah, let's not take any chances. maybe some day you can eat a grandslam in every city in the USA. that would be a good goal.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 10:39 AM
I just eat at those places to pi$$ you off andy.

LoyalFan
12/30/2006, 10:49 AM
Well, I have never developed a taste for chain in my diet, but if you were to toss in some leather and whips, I'd be willing to take a bite.

LF
Food Critic for "Bass Annoyers Monthly"
Don't miss this month's edition, especially the articles entitled
"Raising Four Kids On A Ranger(TM) ZX21...On Ten Dollars A Day!"
"How To Use Your Livewell For Hydroponic Farming."
"YOU Can Convert Your Graph/GPS Unit To Receive HDTV!"
"Crossing The Atlantic In A 20' BassCat(TM) Puma, And Loving It!"
"We Got Married At The BassMaster Classic, But She Wasn't A Keeper."
"Convert Your MinnKota(TM) Trollmotor To A Margarita Maker."

JohnnyMack
12/30/2006, 11:47 AM
I eat at Chili's all the time. In airports. One year I had Chili's Chicken Sammiches at 7 different airports.

When I was in Arizona last week I lost the "Cheesecake Factory" battle. I was pushing for something local but the fam voted for CF. Possibly the most overrated restaurant evar.

GrapevineSooner
12/30/2006, 11:55 AM
I eat at Chili's all the time. In airports. One year I had Chili's Chicken Sammiches at 7 different airports.

When I was in Arizona last week I lost the "Cheesecake Factory" battle. I was pushing for something local but the fam voted for CF. Possibly the most overrated restaurant evar.

Could not agree with you more. Food is way overpriced and whatever they serve, you could get at just about any restaurant for a fraction of the price, especially in regards to their selection of Oriental cuisine.

I could drive about 4 miles into Grapevine from the CF in Southlake and get just about the same damn thing at PF Changs cheaper.

And my wait would be about the same. :D

SoonerRedHead
12/30/2006, 02:24 PM

Amen!

We have just moved back to Mecca(Oklahoma) after living in DFW, great local food, New York ditto, Chicago, muy ditto, and then spent 6.5 looooong years in the Carolinas. They make their BBQ with mustard & throw away the ribs. The rest of their local food sucks, just like their football & electric company(Duke). If anyone ever gets out of there to eat anywhere else they most likely will not move back. See: John Edwards....ha!

Penguin
12/30/2006, 03:59 PM
There's not a thing wrong with the Cheesecake Factory. Get their crabcakes. They absolutely melt in your mouth.

Yummy! :)

OUAndy1807
12/30/2006, 04:21 PM
There's not a thing wrong with the Cheesecake Factory. Get their crabcakes. They absolutely melt in your mouth.

Yummy! :)
I have heard that Cheesecake Factory is known for their excellent seafood.

seriously, I refuse to eat anywhere that sells teddy bears wearing shirts with the restaurant's logo on them.

sanantoniosooner
12/30/2006, 09:25 PM
seriously, I refuse to eat anywhere that sells teddy bears wearing shirts with the restaurant's logo on them.
excellent criteria.

Should eliminate about 17 places nationwide.

jk the sooner fan
12/30/2006, 09:49 PM
mrs jk and i love the buffalo chicken sandwich at chili's......cept without the wing sauce, or the cajun chicken sandwich

Rogue
12/30/2006, 10:14 PM
... the Carolinas. They make their BBQ with mustard & throw away the ribs. The rest of their local food sucks, just like their football & electric company(Duke). If anyone ever gets out of there to eat anywhere else they most likely will not move back. See: John Edwards....ha!

You didn't get to Asheville much I guess. Great places to eat there! It's like Austin except without the traffic, the burnt orange everywhere, and the oppressive heat. And it's surrounded by beautiful mountains. I guess it's not like Austin at all except for the hippies and good food!

BigRedJed
12/31/2006, 01:40 AM
Asheville is a great town. There's a pretty nice house there, too.

BigRedJed
12/31/2006, 01:47 AM
http://www.romanticasheville.com/Biltmore/biltmorefront2006.jpg

I think Nichols Gaillardia lives there.

SoonerRedHead
12/31/2006, 08:33 AM
You didn't get to Asheville much I guess. Great places to eat there! It's like Austin except without the traffic, the burnt orange everywhere, and the oppressive heat. And it's surrounded by beautiful mountains. I guess it's not like Austin at all except for the hippies and good food!

You are right Rogue, Ashville had great food and so did Charleston, and other places along the coast. Both of those directions for us just to go out to eat would have been over two hour drives. We lived in the Greater Charlotte area. There were a couple of good, very expensive places to eat in Charlotte on very rare, special occaisons.

But just to go eat at a local joint with great food, never found one close. Everytime we tried a new local place we swore we would never go to another one.

I loved going to the Biltmore Estate, had a yearly membership. It was beautiful place to see anytime, but especially at Christmas. They have started a winery now, and produce some great wines.

Sooner24
12/31/2006, 09:24 AM
yeah, let's not take any chances. maybe some day you can eat a grandslam in every city in the USA. that would be a good goal.

Next time I get ready to head cross country I will send you the route I intend to take and let you find all the "Great" place to eat along the way. :rolleyes:

OUAndy1807
12/31/2006, 11:06 AM
Next time I get ready to head cross country I will send you the route I intend to take and let you find all the "Great" place to eat along the way. :rolleyes:
nah, that's ok, just keep eating your mediocre, corporate, freeze dried crap.

BigRedJed
12/31/2006, 02:12 PM
I will suffer the occasional bad place to find other, great local places along the way. I'd much rather have a few crappy dining experience mixed in with a lot of great, adventurous dining than have consistent mediocrity or even "not bad" every time.

OUAndy1807
12/31/2006, 02:22 PM
yeah, and I think people are taking me to literal here. I'm talking about eating a local places, so that when I come to your location there is an option other than Applebees. If you want to go somewhere safe as you're passing through, that's obviously your perogative (sp?) I just hate to see this country become Chili's from sea to shining sea.

and usually it's not that tough to find out what local places are good. ask the gas station attendent, or the concierge/register person at your hotel.

obviously, no one can escape the corporate restaurants totally, I'm just commenting on the fact that it seems like most people don't even try nowadays.

Sooner24
12/31/2006, 03:36 PM
nah, that's ok, just keep eating your mediocre, corporate, freeze dried crap.

I really wish you would reconsider. ;)

Rogue
12/31/2006, 05:30 PM
Asheville is a great town. There's a pretty nice house there, too. http://www.romanticasheville.com/Biltmore/biltmorefront2006.jpg

Yeah, if you're into that timeless southern mansion with impeccably landscaped estate kind of thing. I guess.:rolleyes:

Last time we went to Charlotte it had a pretty cool Irish pub that served "bangers and mashers." Food was interesting and the beer was great. The town was sorta lacking in the dining department.

"Carolina style BBQ" is a hotly debated thing in the Carolinas. Mostly it's pork with a vinegar based sauce but other times it's some local variant that the locals swear is "real Carolina style."

If we don't get together and support the locals, they'll go the way of the great American diner. With a few notable exceptions, including THE DINER in Norman, these greasy-spoon tributes to Americana are disappearing. I keep hoping for a comeback but the Waffle Houses and Cracker Barrels are hard to compete with.

Let the revolution begin!

"Customers shouldn't fear their restaurant, a restaurant should fear its customers." - V

BigRedJed
12/31/2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, if you're into that timeless southern mansion with impeccably landscaped estate kind of thing. I guess...
Nope, I'm more into "that's the biggest ****ing private residence ever built in the United States. Still."

King Crimson
12/31/2006, 06:28 PM
i agree with Andy's last post.....i'm decidely in the take a chance school of thought. though, i acknowledge that necessity intrudes sometimes (as in the case of work).....i used to live near a Subway and I *despise* Subway but i went there about once a month just because it was on the way to where i needed to be and i hadn't brought a lunch from home or whatever.

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2006, 07:47 PM
being adventurous is a mood.

Sometimes I'm all for it, sometimes I want safety.

My G.I. tract has some input on my decision.

OUAndy1807
1/13/2007, 08:29 PM
oh ****, now they're running the same specials. Applebees and Fridays is having the 3 course menu deal starting at 9.99.

yermom
1/13/2007, 08:36 PM
cool. i'll have to check that out

SoonerInKCMO
1/13/2007, 08:46 PM
yeah, and I think people are taking me to literal here. I'm talking about eating a local places, so that when I come to your location there is an option other than Applebees.

I will soon be moving to within a mile or so of Applebee's world HQ. I'd appreciate everyone's continued patronage of their fine restaurants. :)

tommieharris91
1/13/2007, 11:02 PM
that must be it, we've all become lemmings. I'm getting to the point that it almost disgusts me.

edit: also, don't get me wrong. I understand that sometimes there are extenuating circumstances (needing a place that's kid friendly, going on a date and the other person wants something, etc...) and I'm not completely inflexible here, but I'm also blown away when Norman has Pepe Delgado's, Los Dos Amigos, Border Crossing, Tarahumara, etc... and El Chico and On the Border are packed out every weekend.

Los Dos Amigos= no no no, everything soggy, at least the last time I went there.

I ate at Pepe Delgado's on Thursday. They're going healthy now, but the Rajitas de Res was amazing. Steak, sauteed onions, hot sauce and monterrey jack. Really tasty, really really tasty. Good tortillas too.

TopDawg
1/13/2007, 11:15 PM
When my wife's family from Smalltown, Oklahoma come to visit, we always try to convince them to go eat with us at a local dive. But it's always Chili's. Chili's, Chili's, Chili's. Every once in a blue moon we can talk them into something else. Like Red Lobster. :rolleyes:

Rhino
1/14/2007, 12:10 AM
Los Dos Amigos= no no no, everything soggy, at least the last time I went there.

I ate at Pepe Delgado's on Thursday. They're going healthy now, but the Rajitas de Res was amazing. Steak, sauteed onions, hot sauce and monterrey jack. Really tasty, really really tasty. Good tortillas too. Get the Bisteck Ranchero at Los Dos and you'll want to go back a lot.

You really can't go wrong with anything at Pepe's.

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 12:11 AM
The Rajitas de Res are my favorite at Pepe's too.

Bisteck Ranchero sounds good, but I've liked pretty much everything I've had at Los Dos (not that I go there a lot).

yermom
1/14/2007, 12:13 AM
is the Bisteak Ranchero the same as like the #37?

i think that is what i usually get there, but when i eat Texican i usually go to Ted's since the one on the Southside opened

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 12:14 AM
My sources tell me that there's a good little dive in Moore. I forget what it's called. I'm pretty sure it's just a first name with an apostrophe-s.

yermom
1/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Mexican?

i think i've been there on the advice of SBSB or someone from here

wasn't bad

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah. I forget the name, but my source is a regular there. I need to go try it out sometime.

Rhino
1/14/2007, 12:21 AM

i think that is what i usually get there, but when i eat Texican i usually go to Ted's since the one on the Southside opened I think it's the #13, but I could be wrong.

Basically, it's a slab of moist steak covered with cheese and some salsa. It's lovely.

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 12:25 AM
The best steak I've ever had was at a Brazilian restaurant in DC.

Second best was at Gloria's in Addison (does that sound right?).

Third best was at Stephenson's Apple Farm in KC.

In Norman, I actually really liked the one I had at Saltgrass. I've only been once, but it was tasty. I need to try out this one at Los Dos.

yermom
1/14/2007, 12:48 AM
it isn't that good...

Rhino
1/14/2007, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't put it on par with great steaks overall, but it's a good TexMessican steak.

The best steak I've ever had was at Texas Land & Cattle Steak House (http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/).

1/14/2007, 01:02 AM
Hunger is a feeling experienced when the glycogen level of the liver falls below a threshold, usually followed by a desire to eat. The usually unpleasant feeling originates in the hypothalamus and is released through receptors in the liver. An average nourished human can survive about 50 days without food intake.

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't put it on par with great steaks overall, but it's a good TexMessican steak.

The best steak I've ever had was at Texas Land & Cattle Steak House (http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/).

It's probably a pretty good value though, right?

Mjcpr
1/14/2007, 01:09 AM
Best Steakhouses:

1) Taco Bell
2) ?
3) El Chico

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 01:16 AM

...with locations in New Mexico, Texas and North Carolina.

Corporate Office?

224 East Douglas
Suite 700
Wichita, KS 67202
316-264-8899

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/14/2007, 01:19 AM
My sources tell me that there's a good little dive in Moore. I forget what it's called. I'm pretty sure it's just a first name with an apostrophe-s.Maria's?

I'm with you guys in the anti-chain camp. IMO, they are mainly for long road trips when everyone in the car is hungry and you know by walking into a Chili's/Bennigan's there is going to be something for everyone.

Locally I avoid them as much as possible.

1/14/2007, 01:44 AM
Folks, you get GREAT GOOGLYMOOGLY HUNGRY!!!!!

It is FOOD. You shove it in your mouth and your body ingests it for whatever nutrient value there is. Your body takes this ingestion and absorbs what it needs (and then some, for most of us) and expels the rest.

Food snobs really annoy me.

A guy I knew in college said, "Everything I eat turns to ****."

Funny AND true.

If you don't like eating, stop eating.

It isn't really that difficult.

If you hate fad restaurants, don't patronize them.

If you are hungry, throw some money at someone willing to provide food to you. Chances are, you'll end up with a full belly and probably sleep better.

Mjcpr
1/14/2007, 01:48 AM
Dr, why is the extrapolation of nutrients process so stinky?

TIA

1/14/2007, 01:53 AM
It must be the chains.

Gotta be.

If I spend over $50 on an entree, it smells like roses in June.

Mjcpr
1/14/2007, 01:54 AM
June who?

1/14/2007, 01:55 AM
June Mjcpr.

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 02:46 AM

i think that is what i usually get there, but when i eat Texican i usually go to Ted's since the one on the Southside opened

pork carne guisada (pork simmered in tomatillo sauce) at Los Dos is also usually very good the times i've had it (we used to go to the one in Purcell for my B-day with the family as a tradition).

Ted's=overrated.

yermom
1/14/2007, 03:11 AM
i thought Ted's was overrated until i had The Best Mexican Tacos. sub the corn and potatoes for the rice and beans, and add liberal amounts of Atomic Salsa

oh, HELL yes.

Chuck Bao
1/14/2007, 03:21 AM
Total agreeance on trying to avoid chains.

Fogo Vivo, one of those Brazilian, slice-it-at-your-table joints, got the whole steak idea down to pink perfection.

http://www.fogovivo.com/index.php

Not a bad price either at US$15 for lunch and US$30 for dinner.

But, it may be a bit far for some of you to drive.

yermom
1/14/2007, 03:28 AM
i've been meaning to try Fogo de Chao

that's a chain though, isn't it :O

Chuck Bao
1/14/2007, 03:46 AM
i've been meaning to try Fogo de Chao

that's a chain though, isn't it :O

Maybe, but any restaurant with Fogo in its name gets an automatic exclusion from the chain restaurant rule. ;)

My advice, Yermom, is don't eat for a day or so before you go. And, don't plan on going anywhere afterwards except home.

Also, major kudos to you for recommending Paad Thai in Norman. It was damn good. I'm surprised. My family went "meh" and "too spicy" and I got angry. Hillbillies! Hmmmpphhh!

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 03:55 AM
chain restaurants=frozen preboiled pasta, a lot of heavy cream, and taste enhancers. and a lot of other criminal bull**** that sucks and also eats a hole in your stomach, literally.

it's machine food and chemical taste science. the latter is a huge industry--.

it's called "casual dining"....and you can find it's practitioners out by Moloch's interstate.

Chuck Bao
1/14/2007, 04:41 AM
Amen and preach on, King Crimson.

yermom
1/14/2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe, but any restaurant with Fogo in its name gets an automatic exclusion from the chain restaurant rule. ;)

My advice, Yermom, is don't eat for a day or so before you go. And, don't plan on going anywhere afterwards except home.

Also, major kudos to you for recommending Paad Thai in Norman. It was damn good. I'm surprised. My family went "meh" and "too spicy" and I got angry. Hillbillies! Hmmmpphhh!

what did you get?

"too spicy" hehe

Chuck Bao
1/14/2007, 11:45 AM
Yermom, it was good.

I ordered for everyone. That's my only complaint. It wasn't Thai share style and that's just so wrong. What is it with Americans. And, the quantities were huge, American style. urgh! I think I ordered enough for more than 10 people.

Appetizers (ordered with my four-year old nephew in mind)
Deep fried calamari
Stuffed chicken
Chicken satay with peanut sauce

Main courses
Tom yum shrimp
Fried catfish
Sweet and sour stir fry
Shrimps fried in garlic and chilies
Green curry with pork
Laap pork
Fried rice with garlic and chili

And the guy and woman waiting the tables were really cute. They spoke Thai and they were like bewildered that at woman at next table started crying and sent her food back as too spicy. I wanted to slap that woman and then slap everyone at my table when they followed that stupid woman and wouldn't try some of the dishes.

The good thing is I think I can now live in Oklahoma and have good Thai food. The bad thing is I'll have to leave my hillbilly family at home. Forget about paying for my family to visit me this summer. They already blew that chance.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 12:07 PM
my main issue with chain restaurants is that by and large, the service absolutely sucks.......i'd really rather go to a place with average food and get good service then get great food and crappy service

getting a good waiter these days is like.....well, something that doesnt happen very often

Scott D
1/14/2007, 12:09 PM
at least the increase in min. wage won't affect their pay ;)

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 12:11 PM
true, it may only decrease the amount of spit in your food

bluedogok
1/14/2007, 12:17 PM
Chains have their place and we eat at them some and some chains are "local" institutions that expanded. When I lived in Dallas I had some neighbors who frequented the original Chili's on Greenville when it was the only one in existence. I like The Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs/Pei Wei, Fridays, Steak n Shake. One chain that I really like that doesn't have that many locations is The Charthouse (part of the Landry's group), I have always had great food there in Alexandria, Virgina, Savannah, Georgia and Boston. Their crabcakes are great, I also had some very good crabcakes in Fayetteville, North Carolina at a local place called Huske Hardware House Brewing Company, they also had great beer.

My wife wants to eat at Ted's every time we are in OKC, it is a great combination of food quality, quantity and service, she considers it the best restaurant Mexican food she has eaten and she is a "Texican". There are good places as well, but none have the whole package like Ted's. We also like Pearl's Cajun Kitchen and I want to go to Leo's BBQ (among other BBQ places). Here we eat at Rudy's BBQ quite a bit because most of the good BBQ places are out of town a ways, so we do motorcycle rides out to them and try to hit the local places for BBQ or pie, Ride to Eat - Eat to Ride. I still prefer Oklahoma BBQ over Texas BBQ, the sauce here at most places sucks but the meat is good. You can find a wide variety of sauce flavors and styles in Oklahoma, in this part of Texas most of the places have the same tasting watery sauce.

I will not eat at the Texas Roadhouse chain, they are an Indianapolis based company that has sued actual Texas roadhouses (the small, privately or family owned businesses in small towns) that have existed long before they have because they used it in their name, and they don't have anything resembling a Texas roadhouse about them other than their name.

Rogue
1/14/2007, 12:20 PM
getting a good waiter these days is like.....well, something that doesnt happen very often

Yup. Infuriating when 10 hostess-hotties are standing around texting one another, no server to be found, and my damn tea or beer needs refillin'. in the small dives, usually at some point the owner (note: not the "manager of the day" in the sooped-up spiffier colored apron) comes by to see how things are and is actually interested in the answer. And look, either build a bigger place or let me gustate and digest a few minutes while I enjoy my coffee and quit rushin' my @ss out the door to flip the table. I've served before and know that it's key and I also know there's a fine line between being effiicent and rushing the customer. Where the f@ck where you when I needed my tea refilled?

Service in general is sorely lacking these days, especially in corporate America. A few good businesses still emphasize it I'm sure, and when I find them I'll be a loyal customer.

Some days I agree with the above that I just need something to, in the immortal words of an Army buddy, "make a turd". Other days I think that food is something to be enjoyed, savored, and done properly. Usually it's the latter.:pop:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/14/2007, 02:20 PM
my main issue with chain restaurants is that by and large, the service absolutely sucks.......i'd really rather go to a place with average food and get good service then get great food and crappy service

getting a good waiter these days is like.....well, something that doesnt happen very oftenService sucks because of all the flair

http://www.juiceanalytics.com/images/OfficeSpaceFlair.jpg

SoonerInKCMO
1/14/2007, 02:23 PM
You suck at the Internet.

;)

SoonerInKCMO
1/14/2007, 02:25 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/twentieth_century_fox/office_space/_group_photos/jennifer_aniston2.jpg

Sooner24
1/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Ted’s is the most overrated Mexican food I have ever eaten with Chelino's coming in a very close second.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 12:13 AM
That's why I enjoy it over here. Service is so much better. They leave water at the table anyways, but they always come by and keep an eye, but a discreet eye out.

Tables (or sometimes the wall) also have a call button at many places so you can get the watress to come check on you.

Oh, and they don't like tips :D

TopDawg
1/15/2007, 01:37 AM
Ted’s is the most overrated Mexican food I have ever eaten with Chelino's coming in a very close second.

Either you think Chelino's is much more highly rated than I do, or you think their food is beyond terrible.

But I'm with you on the Ted's thing.

yermom
1/15/2007, 01:38 AM
well, if you read about it here, it's the best EVAR ;)

TopDawg
1/15/2007, 01:44 AM
I think Tarahumara's is also overrated.

It's good, and so is Ted's, but not as good as most people would like you to think.