PDA

View Full Version : Please and Thank You

royalfan5
12/29/2006, 11:45 AM
I make a point of always being polite when interacting with the general public. It's a point of pride with me. I am just curious how many of y'all are the same way. Do you always say please and thank you?

TexasSooner01
12/29/2006, 11:47 AM
Most of the time yes. There are times when someone is so f'in rude I just have to be rude in thier face right back.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:48 AM
I do, but being polite isn't "cool" anymore. I was walking into the library a couple of weeks ago and held the door open for the person behind me. Well, person behind me was a femma-nazi. She informed me that she was capable of opening doors for herself, and she didn't need some man to do it for her.

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 11:49 AM
I always say "please" when I tell somebody to go **** themself.

colleyvillesooner
12/29/2006, 11:50 AM
I do, but being polite isn't "cool" anymore. I was walking into the library a couple of weeks ago and held the door open for the person behind me. Well, person behind me was a femma-nazi. She informed me that she was capable of opening doors for herself, and she didn't need some man to do it for her.

That woulda been tough not to respond with "It's called being a gentleman, b!tch."

I would LOVE to know what Dean would have done in that situation.

royalfan5
Really? I always hold doors for everybody. I've never had that happen to me.

Petro-Sooner
Momma brought me up right. But I do get people like texas and havok mentioned.

usmc-sooner
12/29/2006, 11:52 AM
Please STFU, thank you

TexasSooner01
12/29/2006, 11:53 AM

I always say thank you to a gentleman who holds the door open for me.

I still think it is sweet! :O

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 11:55 AM
That woulda been tough not to respond with "It's called being a gentleman, b!tch."

I would LOVE to know what Dean would have done in that situation.

Oh I've been in similar situations. I held a door in a restaurant in Alexandria, VA, for about 10 seconds waiting on a couple of dykes to come through. The one goes "I'm quite capable of opening the door myself." I go "oh, so you want me to be rude and shut the door in your face? No problem." And I shut the door in her face. She throws the door open and goes "that really wasn't neccessary." I go "yes it was. You're a rude bitch." She goes "****-off." I go "no thanks, I prefer women who have vaginas."

As I'm walking down King St. they're behind me muttering stuff like "bet he voted for Bush - ****ing neocon." I was laughing wondering how they got that out of that.

colleyvillesooner
12/29/2006, 11:58 AM
YES!

Again, TV SHOW PEOPLE!!!! SIGN THIS MAN UP!!!!

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:59 AM
That is what I wound up doing, just shutting the door right in her face. Then she ripped it open and was all huffy about it. I hold doors for everyone, man or woman. If I am going in, and there are people coming in behind me, I will hold the door open rather than just let it swing shut in their faces.

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 12:07 PM
If you want to see people freak out, go to downtown NYC and start looking people in the eye, approaching them, sticking out your hand to shake and go "good morning, hope you have a great day."

TexasLidig8r
12/29/2006, 12:09 PM

"I apologize. I'm a gentleman and I obviously and uncharacteristically mistook you for a lady."

And... I try to always be polite. It has a way of disarming rude people. Oh.. and my two urchin are being taught to be polite... open doors, yes sir.. no sir.. yes ma'am, no ma'am.. I don't care if it's supposedly "out of style." There are some things that are timeless.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 12:10 PM
If you want to see people freak out, go to downtown NYC and start looking people in the eye, approaching them, sticking out your hand to shake and go "good morning, hope you have a great day."

They would probably think you are either a terrorist or a drunkard.

TexasLidig8r
12/29/2006, 12:13 PM

Done it... you're right.... that is priceless! :D

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 12:22 PM
I've told the story before, but I was in NYC in the winter and it was icy. This old lady fell on the ice in front of me. I go to help her up and she's crabwalking away screaming "get away!! get away!!" I start to reach for her and she's in sheer panic - clutching her purse to her chest like I'm gonna take it from her. All the people around us just made a little room and kept walking. Nobody even looked at us or tried to help her.

"I wanna wake up in the city that never sleeps...." NOT.

SoonerJack
12/29/2006, 12:54 PM
My gradeschool gym teacher, a Mr. Frank Dunlap, always taught us that there are a few "magic words" that make life easier for you: please and thank you. And if you really wanted to go places, yes ma'am/sir and no ma'am/sir.

I also enjoy holding the door open for people, mostly for ladies though. It's great to get that surprised "oh, why thank you" every once in a while.

soonerbrat
12/29/2006, 01:03 PM
I always say thank you to a gentleman who holds the door open for me.

I still think it is sweet! :O

me too!

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, so I pretty much try to be polite to a point, but I can throw rudeness back at people 100 fold. It is kind of fun seeing the looks on some of the little jack @sses faces around here when I quip back at them after they just bombard me with their rudeness.

For finals week, I girl walks in and says "You need to help me find a journal, my teacher said you people had to help." I just looked at her and said I didn't work for her teacher. I went ahead and pointed to the shelves loaded with journals in the back and told her to knock herself out, and that if she wanted my help she would have to loose the tude. I could tell no one had ever treated that little princess that way before :D

OUinFLA
12/29/2006, 01:21 PM
**** off dip ****

handles a lot of rude situations.

oh, it creates them as well.

C&CDean
12/29/2006, 02:11 PM
"Please" and "thank you" are the lubricant that make the wheels of social intercourse go around.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 02:21 PM
I'm typically very polite. The last time I really lost my temper with someone was last year when we took a family vacation in Boston. We had this rental car and my dad was trying to get into this space, well he just BARELY taped this girl's car behind us. We didn't even feel it until the girl came bashing on our window, "hey you hit my f-ing caaaa." Well, he got out and looked for any damage but didn't see any and she couldn't find any either. Nonetheless, he gave her his insurance information.

Well, we take off to leave and get a block down the street when I tell him to go back and I'll get out and take a picture of her car so she can't claim any damage that wasn't there. I get out of the car and start to take some pictures and she leans out and asks, "what the **** are you doing?" Well I said, "mam, I'm just getting a picture of your car for insurance purposes."

So then she starts to get out of the car screaming, "your dad hit my ****ing car you stupid pieces of ****!" By the way this girl has a REALLY thick yankee accent.

I finally lose my temper and tell her, "get back in your damned car you stupid whore yankee *** horse faced bitch." Well she did, but then she started calling me a "hick trash" from the window. I would have speked her if she'd said "f-n hillbilly" instead.

EDIT: In fact, here's a pic of her:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Boston037-1.jpg

soonerbrat
12/29/2006, 03:18 PM
did you ask her to go to Branson?

Scott D
12/29/2006, 04:33 PM
I tend to say please and thank you in public, or on the phone.

BudSooner
12/29/2006, 04:35 PM
did you ask her to go to Branson?
:D