PDA

View Full Version : john edwards

critical_phil
12/29/2006, 02:42 AM
no, not the biggest ****** in the universe - the other john edwards.

Edwards Launches 2008 Campaign

(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_stout/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
NEW ORLEANS, Dec. 28 -- Former Senator John Edwards chose a devastated neighborhood in this flood-stricken city today to formally begin his quest for the presidency, declaring that his campaign would emphasize the “two Americas” theme he embraced two years ago.

“New Orleans in so many ways shows the two Americas that I’ve talked about,” Mr. Edwards said, standing between two ruined houses. “It’s great to try to see a problem, but it’s more important to actually take action and do something about it, and that’s why I’m in New Orleans.”

Mr. Edwards, who on Wednesday donned work gloves and cheerfully joined volunteers in a much-photographed clean-up of a woman’s yard, said it was important “to show what’s possible when we as Americans, instead of staying home and complaining, actually take action and take responsibility.”

During the 2004 campaign, when he was the vice-presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket, Mr. Edwards spoke often of the “two Americas” -- one comfortable and privileged, the other struggling to feed body and soul and despairing of ever passing on something better to their children.

The “formal” announcement of his candidacy today was, by design, anything but formal. Mr. Edwards wore work boots, blue jeans and a thick blue shirt against the chill. His announcement contrasted sharply with more traditional launchings of White House bids, which have often been made in the United States Capitol.

Asked on Wednesday whether he thought enough was being done to help New Orleans recover from the crippling hurricane and floods of 2005, he replied, “Anybody who’s not concerned about the rate of recovery is not paying attention.”

Responding to questions today, he said the biggest responsibility of the next president would be to re-establish America’s leadership role in the world “starting with Iraq.”

Mr. Edwards voted for the measure authorizing the military campaign in Iraq but has since called his vote a mistake. He said he favors withdrawing 40,000 to 50,000 troops, roughly one-third of the total American force in Iraq, in the near future.

so Dims, how do you like his chances to get the nomination?

Okla-homey
12/29/2006, 05:56 AM
Please, no personal injury/med mal plaintiffs' lawyers as president.

Rogue
12/29/2006, 06:37 AM
He has the likability factor. Most of the dems I've talked to like him on a ticket, not necessarily as the pres. Me, I like him. He seems to have a pretty clean past and doesn't apologize for being a "nassssty trial lawyer." Somehow he still seems a little snake-oily to me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Widescreen
12/29/2006, 08:59 AM
The fact that he announced this in New Orleans rather than in his home state is the height of pandering.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 09:21 AM
He doesn't have my vote!

usmc-sooner
12/29/2006, 09:37 AM
right now the Democrats are like a sorry NFL franchise, they don't go get good new coaches the just recycle the same old losers, Kerry, Edwards, Hillary

they do have one new choice OBama, not because of his history or experience but because he speaks well and is black guy with a muslim name and right now that is the most politically correct candidate.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 09:48 AM
right now the Democrats are like a sorry NFL franchise, they don't go get good new coaches the just recycle the same old losers, Kerry, Edwards, Hillary

they do have one new choice OBama, not because of his history or experience but because he speaks well and is black guy with a muslim name and right now that is the most politically correct candidate.

I could live with either of the Johns, but if that b*tch Hilary looks like she might have a remote chance of winning, I will be looking for a job outside this country. Same goes for the OBama kid. Hell, he isn't that much older than me, and what exactly has he done? He is a first term senator for God's sake. No, if it looks like those two might win, I am out of here.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/29/2006, 09:49 AM
right now the Democrats are like a sorry NFL franchise, namely the Arizona Cardinals. They don't go get good new coaches the just recycle the same old losers, Kerry, Edwards, Hillary

they do have one new choice OBama, not because of his history or experience but because he speaks well and is black guy with a muslim name and right now that is the most politically correct candidate.Fixed.

King Crimson
12/29/2006, 09:53 AM

don't forget Dick Gephardt. though i think DG may have FINALLY realized after what seems like 10 or 12 tries he's always going to pull less than about 15% of a primary vote.

Widescreen
12/29/2006, 10:02 AM
While I agree with that, us republicans aren't doing any better. Giuliani? McCain? I'd like to see a Tancredo but he's too 1-issue and probably can't win a primary because the party muckety-mucks are afraid of him.

usmc-sooner
12/29/2006, 10:05 AM
While I agree with that, us republicans aren't doing any better. Giuliani? McCain? I'd like to see a Tancredo but he's too 1-issue and probably can't win a primary because the party muckety-mucks are afraid of him.

I know.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 10:09 AM
Next Election will be the Edwards/OBama ticket v. the Giuliani/McCain ticket...oh what fun that will be :rolleyes:

NormanPride
12/29/2006, 10:59 AM
As an Independent, I just don't like what the Dems are offering right now. Clinton is insane, Obama is too green, and Edwards is a dork. I hope Kerry does us all a favor and leaves the planet for a couple decades to pull the foot out of his mouth.

IMO the US needs a middle-of-the road guy so that everyone can grumble that he's not tough enough on their particular issues but never really get hacked off at him because he's a good enough guy and has handled things pretty well.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:01 AM
As an Independent, I just don't like what the Dems are offering right now. Clinton is insane, Obama is too green, and Edwards is a dork. I hope Kerry does us all a favor and leaves the planet for a couple decades to pull the foot out of his mouth.

IMO the US needs a middle-of-the road guy so that everyone can grumble that he's not tough enough on their particular issues but never really get hacked off at him because he's a good enough guy and has handled things pretty well.

So, you think we need another Gerry Ford or Jimmy Carter?

JohnnyMack
12/29/2006, 11:04 AM

The dems needed someone like Warner or Bayh to run. Experienced Governors. Not the professional politicians they keep putting out there.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:10 AM
The dems needed someone like Warner or Bayh to run. Experienced Governors. Not the professional politicians they keep putting out there.

Being an independent, I would rather vote for some one like Bayh instead of the Johns, the b****, or the green horn

NormanPride
12/29/2006, 11:12 AM
So is everyone's complaint about Obama that he just hasn't done much? Would people feel better if he'd just had a couple years as a governor rather than a senator?

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:17 AM
So is everyone's complaint about Obama that he just hasn't done much? Would people feel better if he'd just had a couple years as a governor rather than a senator?

Much?! Much?! He hasn't done anything. I would feel a s**t ton better if he had a about ten years of political experience at least. Two years as the Illinois senator does not make me feel good about him.

picasso
12/29/2006, 11:19 AM
I sure thought our gubment dumped all kinds of money into New Orleans. isn't that the left side's answer to one and all problems?

mikeelikee
12/29/2006, 11:20 AM
This is the dude who claimed the Republicans held their 2004 national convention in New York City to politically exploit 9/11. So his announcing his 2008 presidential candidacy in the Ninth Ward in Nawlins isn't politically exploiting Katrina? Give me a freakin' break!

StoopTroup
12/29/2006, 11:22 AM
He better get a better VP than Hillary IMO.

She's the one pandering to run IMO...

At least he has the balls to actually start campaigning...

picasso
12/29/2006, 11:23 AM
This is the dude who claimed the Republicans held their 2004 national convention in New York City to politically exploit 9/11. So his announcing his 2008 presidential candidacy in the Ninth Ward in Nawlins isn't politically exploiting Katrina? Give me a freakin' break!
no it's not because he's a Democrat and they care. plus, George Bush hates black peoples.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:26 AM
He better get a better VP than Hillary IMO.

She's the one pandering to run IMO...

At least he has the balls to actually start campaigning...

OBama as President on Ballot = Bad

OBama as VP on Ballot = Better

StoopTroup
12/29/2006, 11:27 AM
I think he's right on the money...

Bush has failed to get the WTC Towers rebuilt and NO and the Gulf Coast is a mess. There are unused FEMA trailers still. Those should have been dispersed the day they hit town. Who cares if a few misuse the FEMA funds. Catch them and throw their sorry asses in jail. The folks in NO put the Mayor back in charge because they didn't trust GW or the Federal Gov't to help them...

Just my opninion...

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:34 AM

Bush has failed to get the WTC Towers rebuilt and NO and the Gulf Coast is a mess. There are unused FEMA trailers still. Those should have been dispersed the day they hit town. Who cares if a few misuse the FEMA funds. Catch them and throw their sorry asses in jail. The folks in NO put the Mayor back in charge because they didn't trust GW or the Federal Gov't to help them...

Just my opninion...

But they trust the same local government that let them down just as much?

usmc-sooner
12/29/2006, 11:41 AM

Just my opninion...

that's the problem with the way a lot of Democrats are thinking now. All drop the blame on one man. Bush is supposed to rebuild the WTC Towers, fix NO, the Gulf Coast, keep us safe from terrorism, win the war in Iraq, keep Mexicans from jumping the border, ensure that the economy is great, keep gas prices down, etc.

Nothing is ever so simple that you can blame one person, there are Democrats involved in our government as well. Both sides gotta get better but we've gone overboard with all this it's his fault not ours, or it their side not my side.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 11:45 AM
Plus the WTC is being rebuilt as we speak. It just took a while to clean up the area. They had to remove what was left of the foundations, fill in the area, and get a design people could all agree on. Building the world's tallest building isn't an easy task.

picasso
12/29/2006, 11:46 AM

Just my opninion...
hmm, biggest attack on U.S. soil and the worst recorded storm to hit the Gulf Coast and Bush is also busy trying to kill bad guys in the middle east. yep, he's ceratinly a slacker.
He's dropped many notches on my repsectometer but he's also faced a lot of crap in a short period of time.
I mean damn, they certainly should have just bull dozed that ground zero mess and rebuilt the next day.

royalfan5
12/29/2006, 11:49 AM
don't forget Tom Vilsack of Iowa. I wouldn't rule him out as a darkhorse democratic candidate.

picasso
12/29/2006, 11:50 AM
what about Ernie Velveeta?

StoopTroup
12/29/2006, 12:14 PM
He's dropped many notches on my repsectometer but he's also faced a lot of crap in a short period of time.
I mean damn, they certainly should have just bull dozed that ground zero mess and rebuilt the next day.
Pic...

I kind of like the guy...

I bet he's fun to be around...

The thing is...he doesn't have anything to lose at this point other then how history views his Presidency. I'd be cleaning up the home front as much as possible if I were him. The Middle East will still be in shambles after he's out of office.

That's really all I was saying was that we could have showed the World how America reacts to these things better IMO. The WTC should have been in the works already IMO and The Gulf Coast could have had a lot more done to help the area.

Hopefully he'll follow his Dad, Clinton and Carter and become a Former President that we can be proud to say...He had it tough...but he did lots of good.

picasso
12/29/2006, 12:18 PM
Huh? he's dealt with more than any of those guys.

Proud of Carter? Seriously?:(

StoopTroup
12/29/2006, 12:21 PM
that's the problem with the way a lot of Democrats are thinking now. All drop the blame on one man. Bush is supposed to rebuild the WTC Towers, fix NO, the Gulf Coast, keep us safe from terrorism, win the war in Iraq, keep Mexicans from jumping the border, ensure that the economy is great, keep gas prices down, etc.

Nothing is ever so simple that you can blame one person, there are Democrats involved in our government as well. Both sides gotta get better but we've gone overboard with all this it's his fault not ours, or it their side not my side.
But it's not just one man...

It's his Presidency as a whole. That includes the Republican Party, his Cabinet, Ambassadors, The Military Brass....everybody.

You'll never catch me saying it was all his fault. He's just a man, who is doing what most of us would never want to have to face.

He's earned my respect as a Leader as he's faced a really tough time in the World and has represented us as a Superpower that's still large and In Charge. I just think the Continental US has suffered quite a bit in the last 4 years.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 12:22 PM
Huh? he's dealt with more than any of those guys.

Proud of Carter? Seriously?:(

Hey, Carter farms peanuts and builds houses, proof positive that the dims care more about black peoples than Bush and the elephants do.

StoopTroup
12/29/2006, 12:35 PM
I think Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize didn't he?

Yep...just a stupid Peanut Farmer...lol

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 12:41 PM
I think Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize didn't he?

Yep...just a stupid Peanut Farmer...lol

Hey,don't under estimate the legume! Peanuts are a great sorce of protien :P :P

Seriously though, Carter is much better at being an ex-president than he was a being a president. He has done a lot more good since he was voted out of office than he ever did while in power. God Bless him for that.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2006, 12:55 PM
Jeb Bush in 08!!! Mark it down.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 01:01 PM
Jeb Bush in 08!!! Mark it down.

Are you there God? Please God, please don't let this come true!

lexsooner
12/29/2006, 01:02 PM

Agreed, the Democrats have not produced any obvious candidates or answers to the majors issues of today. Their appeal is largely because of the public's dislike of Bush and many of his party mates, and their doings. The Dems are like a 4-12 football team looking for answers. The Republicans are like the Dallas Cowboys after Johnson and Switzer.

IMHO, political correctness has nothing to do with Obama's popularity. In fact, the term is incongruent with the issue of his popularity. People like him because he is a fresh new face who appears to be extremely smart, likeable, with ideas, and he is highly able to convey these qualities through his speaking and in his two books and other writings. Of course his good looks don't hurt his cause either. Time will tell if he is a viable candidate. I don't know because he is so new and has not even officially thrown his hat in the ring. He is enjoying a honeymoon period with the public and press, but if he enters the race, then we will see how things go. At the moment, though, he is the most exciting thing going in either party - even some Republicans grudgingly admit this. Being a biracial man with a Muslim-sounding name definitely does not make him a highly appealing candidate in itself.

Okieflyer
12/29/2006, 01:25 PM
Isn't that the Occult dude who talks to dead people? :confused:

http://www.ntskeptics.org/cartoons/edward.gif

picasso
12/29/2006, 01:28 PM
Hey,don't under estimate the legume! Peanuts are a great sorce of protien :P :P

Seriously though, Carter is much better at being an ex-president than he was a being a president. He has done a lot more good since he was voted out of office than he ever did while in power. God Bless him for that.
Carter has also been a sympathizer towards terrorism!!! :mad:

He's just trying to make that tarnished presidency shine.

OklahomaTuba
12/29/2006, 02:02 PM

And if doing a lot of good you mean coming out in support of terrorists and blaming the Joos for everything from here to kingdom come, then I guess your right.

His latest book shows he also plagiarizes.

OklahomaTuba
12/29/2006, 02:13 PM
I thought this was funny...

A longtime aide to Jimmy Carter has resigned from the Carter Center think tank, calling the former president's new book on Israel and the Arabs one-sided and filled with errors.

Kenneth Stein, the Carter Center's first executive director and founder of its Middle East program, sent a letter that bluntly criticized the book to Carter and others.

Stein wrote that the book, "Palestine: Peace, Not Apartheid," was replete with factual errors, material copied from other sources and "simply invented segments," according to an excerpt of the letter published by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/06/D8LRJ7A00.html

soonerscuba
12/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Heh. I think that the current administration is proof positive that given enough money and support, literally anybody can be president. I would venture to say that Obama is light years ahead of Bush in policy formulation and implementation now, he could be a rockstar with a good cabinet.

12/29/2006, 04:28 PM
Heh. I think that the current administration is proof positive that given enough money and support, literally anybody can be president. I would venture to say that Obama is light years ahead of Bush in policy formulation and implementation now, he could be a rockstar with a good cabinet.Delusional...at best.

SoonerTitan
12/29/2006, 05:48 PM
Edwards/Clinton is the winning ticket. I just really like Edwards and I just believe he can do us some good.

picasso
12/29/2006, 05:50 PM
Heh. I think that the current administration is proof positive that given enough money and support, literally anybody can be president. I would venture to say that Obama is light years ahead of Bush in policy formulation and implementation now, he could be a rockstar with a good cabinet.
yeah cause Bush never had any prior experience and stuff.

you could also say that for the entire Kennedy clan.

Rogue
12/29/2006, 06:58 PM
So the biggest knock on Edwards is that he's a trial lawyer? I'm thinking that he could go over big with the female 51% of the country. Yes, I'm serious. He's a clean cut guy, nice family with cute kids, his wife is a breast cancer survivor and he seemed very supportive. I'm tellin' ya, this guy will bring in some votes. He also knows, better'n any of the others on the last ticket, how to avoid stepping on his dick when he's in public. Just something sorta cheesy and shallow about him that I can't figure out. Like he's playing a part or something.

12/29/2006, 07:07 PM
So the biggest knock on Edwards is that he's a trial lawyer? I'm thinking that he could go over big with the female 51% of the country. Yes, I'm serious. He's a clean cut guy, nice family with cute kids, his wife is a breast cancer survivor and he seemed very supportive. I'm tellin' ya, this guy will bring in some votes. He also knows, better'n any of the others on the last ticket, how to avoid stepping on his dick when he's in public. Just something sorta cheesy and shallow about him that I can't figure out. Like he's playing a part or something.He's a beaut. Would be a super dem nominee.

SoonerDood
12/29/2006, 09:21 PM
OBama as President on Ballot = Bad

OBama as VP on Ballot = Better
Chris Rock said it 1st-
Some black guy will kill the President just so there will be a brother in the White House.

Jerk
12/29/2006, 09:27 PM
Is he for gun control or against it>? That's all I care about.

VeeJay
12/29/2006, 09:43 PM
The Breck Girl. Look fer him not on the cover of USN&WR but on Seventeen.

Looks aside, I'm amused by the differences in his choice of announcements that he's running for president. First time around, he sashays out of his Raleigh, NC mansion and holds court on his front lawn, displaying his wealth and privilege for all to see. Before it's over he's talking about "two America's" and his humble upbringing.

Now, he chooses New Orleans, the Hellhole of America. How many times before today has he visited N.O. post-Katrina? How many times has he showed up in work boots to actually try to help anyone, before the cameras began rolling today?

This guy is a phony. A pretender. And a poser. The Dems need to send him packing if they want a real alternative to Bush 43.