PDA

View Full Version : The Sooner state ranks 19th...

SoonerGators
12/28/2006, 03:43 PM
according to ESPN.com's ranking of the best football states in the country. Pretty good considering the state has no pro franchise.

Top Football States (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=communityfbIP)

Sorry if this had already been posted.

NormanPride
12/28/2006, 04:07 PM
Another reason why stats don't decide football. ;)

critical_phil
12/28/2006, 04:11 PM
just ahead of indiana and a couple of spots behind maryland.

this is the gayest thing i've ever seen. evar.

MamaMia
12/28/2006, 04:14 PM
Any poll that has New Jersey ahead of Oklahoma with the subject being football is nuts.

OUstud
12/28/2006, 04:18 PM
I blame Aggy for dragging us down...

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2006, 04:19 PM
This ranking is inclusive of NFL franchises and their accomplishments. Which in my mind is a little ridiculous given the fluidity of an NFL franchise.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if they stopped the comparison at the collegiate level, or maybe just included players' accomplishments in the NFL and not the franchises' , the list would be shuffled a great deal except for the top 5.

SoonerTerry
12/28/2006, 04:33 PM
We droped 4 spots because of the horsepigs..

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/28/2006, 04:34 PM
Any poll that has New Jersey ahead of Oklahoma with the subject being football is nuts.

If you have to take pro into account technically New Jersey has the Giants and the Jets....but it looks like on the list they are given to New York. I don't think states should share the same team. It isn't like no Sooner fan is a Dallas Cowboy fan for example.

I don't have a real problem with the top 8 overall. After that there are a lot of holes to punch. New Jersey at #9? Maybe if they get the Jets and Giants and that is a reach.

Wisconsin at 10? Sure they have the packers but the Badgers at best are a top 30 program all-time. #25 in high school football? Right. Ahead of Missouri and Colorado in high school football. I know college football sucks in Missouri but Wisconsin probably signs two Missouri high school kids every year. I can't think of Missouri ever bringing in Wisconsin kids. Sure we got one good one at OU but Wisconsin is not a hotbed of football talent.

#13 & #14 Virginia and North Carolina? Please. Maybe if you give Virginia the Redskins. Va Tech had been good the last 10-12 years...before that? North Carolina...no way.

#17 Maryland ahead of Oklahoma.....that is an effing joke.

Poor Alaska at least they play better high school football than Maine.

Harry Beanbag
12/28/2006, 04:45 PM
Oklahoma at #8 and Texas at #1 in the college rankings is lame. OU by itself is better than the entire state of Texas.

Collier11
12/28/2006, 07:42 PM
Oklahoma at #8 and Texas at #1 in the college rankings is lame. OU by itself is better than the entire state of Texas.

Well unfortunately we are paired with Tulsa and puke state and texas has the shorthorns, aggies, and tech which are better than our other options :eek:

stoopified
12/29/2006, 10:26 AM
We droped 4 spots because of the horsepigs..Heh

josh09
12/29/2006, 12:30 PM
according to ESPN.com's ranking of the best football states in the country. Pretty good considering the state has no pro franchise.

Top Football States (http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=communityfbIP)

Sorry if this had already been posted.

Thats bs on our college ranking. We should be way higher than that.

josh09
12/29/2006, 12:32 PM
And WTF is with Texas being #1 in college?!?! Gawd damn this was such a biased vote, i can already tell.

josh09
12/29/2006, 12:34 PM
Seriously, everyone just jump on the texass bandwagon! :mad: :rolleyes:

Im SO SICK of it.

Sooner_Havok
12/29/2006, 12:47 PM

Im SO SICK of it.

It a Gulf Coast Bias!:mad:

:D

tpatton
12/29/2006, 01:01 PM
Like you said...not bad at 19th for a state that has no pro franchise. (Yet) As popular as football is in Oklahoma, you would think a pro team would flourish in the OKC or Norman areas. However, being there is no current facility that would accommodate such a following (hint = Nebraska), it looks as if pro basketball or hockey would be the states best bet for landing a pro team....at least for now.

Desert Sapper
12/29/2006, 01:11 PM
Going strictly by the numbers, only Texas, California, Florida, and Ohio should be ahead of us in the college ranking. I'm guessing the arbitrary HS system is based on somebody's 'national rankings system', where only Jenks and Union have been up there in recent years. If the pro ranking for NJ is only counting the number of HOFers (since both NFL franchises are counted against NY and Philly is counted against PA), we are their equal. OK should easily be in the top 10, probably top 5 (especially if population were brought into the equation).

King Crimson
12/29/2006, 01:36 PM
(especially if population were brought into the equation).

that's an interesting point.....i read in a thing like this a few years ago that *per capita* Mississippi and Louisiana far and away produce the most D-1 players.....and Oklahoma was in the top 10.

Snrfn4ever08
12/29/2006, 01:44 PM
And WTF is with Texas being #1 in college?!?! Gawd damn this was such a biased vote, i can already tell.
Everyone fear the Mean Green, SMU, Rice, Houston, etc. I blame Okie lite for losing to Houston. It's their fault.

StormySooner-IN
12/29/2006, 11:32 PM

Im SO SICK of it.
NO KIDDING. To think that there are few non-texass fans in Indiana!:confused: :rolleyes:

HOW!!>>?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: