PDA

View Full Version : The Consolidated Television Display/Electronics information thread!

Pages : 1 [2]

OUAndy1807
10/27/2007, 02:47 PM
ok, I don't think I'm going to be kicking myself for waiting. The wife has access to a special sale on 42" Sharp LCD's from her work. Basically, there's a one day sale where we can get this TV, brand new for $899. Also, no sales tax.

Anything I should know about Sharp LCD's? They probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't know that I can pass up the deal.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1922,00.html

Newbomb Turk
10/27/2007, 03:07 PM
that's a great deal. You cannot beat that price. I've been real impressed with the Aquos TVs I've seen.

Frozen Sooner
10/27/2007, 03:23 PM
I personally am not a fan, but Sharps get good reviews.

OUAndy1807
11/16/2007, 10:24 AM
So I picked up our 42" Sharp Aquos yesterday morning for $899 (no tax)

Now, which TV do I put in our living room? We have a 42" Grand Wega DLP currently in the living room in an entertainment center. The Sharp is 1080p, and the Sony is 1080i. The DLP probably makes sense in the entertainment center, but the Sharp is the nicer TV, so it's the one I'd like to put in the living room where everyone sees it and we watch the most television.

It's a nice problem to have, though.

85Sooner
11/16/2007, 01:01 PM
So I picked up our 42" Sharp Aquos yesterday morning for $899 (no tax)

Now, which TV do I put in our living room? We have a 42" Grand Wega DLP currently in the living room in an entertainment center. The Sharp is 1080p, and the Sony is 1080i. The DLP probably makes sense in the entertainment center, but the Sharp is the nicer TV, so it's the one I'd like to put in the living room where everyone sees it and we watch the most television.

It's a nice problem to have, though.
The Sony is an LCD not DLP and put whichever one you think is better in the locatino you watch the most.

OUAndy1807
12/9/2007, 08:21 PM
so, with the Sharp LCD and my PS3:
I'm not blown away by the picture, but I'm just using the RCA cables that came with the PS3. Will the HDMI cable that's available for $99 make that big of a difference? I'm basing my dissapointment on the Blueray version of the movie 300.

bluedogok
12/9/2007, 08:36 PM
I think the RCA cables only give you a 480p output. I am using component cables right now until I get an Onkyo receiver with enough HDMI switching but that still allows me to output to 1080i.

In a short run a $15.00 HDMI cable is fine, the only place the more expensive may be worth the money is if you have a long run of something like more than 25 feet.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2007, 08:51 PM
OK, by RCA cables do you mean component YPbPr cables or just your standard yellow video red right white left RCAs?

If the former...not really. You should be getting 1080i or 720p out of the components if you've set your PS3 up correctly. If the latter, absolutely and unequivocably. The best you can get out of the latter is 480i.

Mixer!
12/9/2007, 09:06 PM
Can anybody recommend a set from WallyWorld? Of all the ones I've looked at, this one (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5633687) looks the best to me. If there's something better that's comparable (not necessarily stocked at Wally), I'm all ears.

OUAndy1807
12/9/2007, 09:07 PM
yeah, it's the cable that came with the PS3 that has the weird connection into the PS3 and the RCA connectors that go to the TV.

bluedogok
12/9/2007, 09:13 PM
You would need to get a HDMI cable (if your TV or receiver has HDMI input) or the Playstation3 Component Cable (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Accessories/SCPH-10490) to get the hi-res output.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2007, 09:32 PM
Ok Mike I m trying to catch you...I ve got my HD-DVR, PS3, Toshiba HD DVD, and Phillips DVD Recorder hooked up to the TV so far...I ve got my surround going through the digital audio....I ve got a HDMI switch so I can add something else...I m not in your league but at least I m in double A ball

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2007, 09:33 PM
yeah, it's the cable that came with the PS3 that has the weird connection into the PS3 and the RCA connectors that go to the TV.

OK, so are there three wires-one for video and two for sound-or five-three for video and two for sound?

If three, then HDMI is going to give you a MASSIVE improvement in PQ. If five, then not so much.

OUTromBoNado
12/9/2007, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know anything about this set?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=OBCD15CSJZ4HRKC4D3LVAGY?sku Id=8293517&productCategoryId=abcat0101006&type=product&tab=1&id=1172880154412#productdetail

I'd rather get an LCD, but I can't afford one. Hell, I can't really afford that set right now, but at least that price is a bit more attainable for me.

OUAndy1807
12/9/2007, 09:49 PM
OK, so are there three wires-one for video and two for sound-or five-three for video and two for sound?

If three, then HDMI is going to give you a MASSIVE improvement in PQ. If five, then not so much.
it's 3.

basically, over the air broadcasts look much better than what I'm seeing on my PS3. I'll get some new cords.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, do that. Get an HDMI cable. You're going to be blown away at how much better HD content looks.

85Sooner
12/9/2007, 11:45 PM
save up you will be glad you did.

OUAndy1807
12/9/2007, 11:48 PM
Why are the Sharp Aquos 42" so cheap everywhere now?

OUDoc
12/10/2007, 09:49 AM
it's 3.

basically, over the air broadcasts look much better than what I'm seeing on my PS3. I'll get some new cords.
Go get decent cables already!

;)

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2007, 11:36 AM
Ok Mike I m trying to catch you...I ve got my HD-DVR, PS3, Toshiba HD DVD, and Phillips DVD Recorder hooked up to the TV so far...I ve got my surround going through the digital audio....I ve got a HDMI switch so I can add something else...I m not in your league but at least I m in double A ball

You're doing good man!

85Sooner
12/10/2007, 12:08 PM

Sony is killing them picture wise. The New XBR's have the most incredible picture I/we have ever seen nearly 3 deminsional.

85Sooner
12/10/2007, 12:09 PM

Sony is killing them picture wise. The New XBR's have the most incredible picture I/we have ever seen nearly 3 deminsional. We are actually going to drop sharp next year.

OUAndy1807
12/10/2007, 12:43 PM
is there a considerable difference between the component video cables (that are $20 and advertised to deliver 1080p quality) and HDMI (which are considerably more?)

Thank you for indulging my laziness

OUDoc
12/10/2007, 03:32 PM
I can't answer the second question, but spend more than $20 for the component cables (unless it's just a hell of a sale).

85Sooner
12/10/2007, 05:27 PM
is there a considerable difference between the component video cables (that are $20 and advertised to deliver 1080p quality) and HDMI (which are considerably more?)

Thank you for indulging my laziness

Alot of double blind tests have shown no significant difference between HDMI and componant cables ( I will add that they did not test these with regard to bluray and HD DVD.) for those formats us only HDMI Ver 1.3

Frozen Sooner
12/10/2007, 10:56 PM
Alot of double blind tests have shown no significant difference between HDMI and componant cables ( I will add that they did not test these with regard to bluray and HD DVD.) for those formats us only HDMI Ver 1.3

It depends on how sensitive your eyes are, really. HDMI 1.3 isn't really an issue: it supports Deep Color and bitstream passing of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio codecs, but since there's nothing mastered in Deep Color and it doesn't sound like Andy has a receiver that can decode DTHD or DTS-HD MA that's really not an issue.

The PS3 will not, however, pass a 1080p image over component. So if you can tell a difference between 1080i and 1080p (which most really can't, particularly if your display has a good deinterlacer) or 3:2 pulldown judder bothers you, then you want the HDMI cable. If not, the component should work OK.

OUAndy1807
12/19/2007, 03:15 PM
what do you guys think about the Samsung Plasmas? I'm getting my parents a TV for Christmas and I'm trying to decide between the 42" Toshiba LCD (the 1080p, 60 mhz) and the 42" Samsung Plasma (720p, but the picture looks better in the store)

The toshiba is $1200 and the Samsung is $1300

colleyvillesooner
12/20/2007, 10:25 AM
I'm interested in this answer as well.

The Samsung 50" 780p Plasma is on sale at Best Buy for $1399. My bro just got one and I'm going to help him set it up tonight.

Quick tech question: He also got this 1080 upconverting DVD player

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=mp3audiovideo&type=dvdplayers&subtype=hidefconversion&model_cd=DVD-1080P7/XAA

Will there be any problem communicating between the two? He said he hooked it up last night via HDMI and it didn't look that great. He's new to HD so I didn't know if there is something to do with the 1080 DVD player and the 720p TV.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2007, 10:33 AM
HD Radio

What is it?

Lot's of adverts...

frankensooner
12/20/2007, 10:34 AM
No, the tv will scale it.

I have a 720 Panasonic plasma and the upconverting dvd player. No prob The black letterbox does suck and as soon as I can I will get a blu ray

OUAndy1807
12/20/2007, 12:09 PM
I ended up getting the plasma, but I found it at circuit city for $1000.

They also had a fifty something inch rear projection that came with a stand and a 30 gig PS3 for $1000.

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2008, 02:56 AM
As of today, the following major studios support the following formats.

Blu-ray
Disney
Warner
Fox
Sony (Columbia and MGM)

HD DVD
Paramount
Universal

Beginning March 2008, Warner will drop support for HD DVD. In my opinion, this is the death knell for HD DVD. Warner USED to be exclusive to HD DVD, and it was bandied about that they were going to announce HD DVD exclusivity at CES instead of BD. Frankly, with only two studios supporting HD DVD any longer-and those two being the two smallest majors-it's pretty much over.

Widescreen
1/5/2008, 03:01 PM
Funny that I also used the "death knell" term in my post in the other thread. Great minds...

In retrospect, Blu-Ray really had a nice competitive advantage due to Sony's content ownership. That's something Toshiba was going to have a real problem competing against.

I guess Sony will feel somewhat redeemed for the Beta mess - albeit 20+ years late.

Frozen Sooner
1/5/2008, 03:21 PM
Funny that I also used the "death knell" term in my post in the other thread. Great minds...

In retrospect, Blu-Ray really had a nice competitive advantage due to Sony's content ownership. That's something Toshiba was going to have a real problem competing against.

I guess Sony will feel somewhat redeemed for the Beta mess - albeit 20+ years late.

Beta
MemoryStick
UMD
SACD
Etc
Etc

:D

Yeah, the content deal was huge-but even bigger was the PS3 trojan horse. Even though it sold sluggishly for a console, the PS3 makes up something like 75% of the TOTAL HD player market.

bluedogok
1/5/2008, 07:48 PM
Yep, Sony was in a different position this time also owning a large content provider and licensing Blu-ray to others from the start instead of as a desperate late move like with Beta.

I prefer the SACD discs to the DVD-A format, too bad it never took off. Some would call MiniDisc a failure and it was in the US but it was the dominant format when I was in Japan in 1996. Everyone made MD players, you could go into a music store and it was 2/3rds MD. The reason why it failed in this country was due more to RIAA and copy protection schemes that Sony had to implement that brought it to market late and neutered it in the consumer end of the market.

Getem
1/6/2008, 01:41 PM
In the end, it was just who was willing to buy off the most people. Warner and Fox were all set to go HDDVD and end the war, but Fox backed out at the last minute and went to Sony. Sony wrote some checks bigger than what Toshiba was willing to write, and that's why Warner went bluray. So all of the things we have debated about HDDVD vs Bluray (content, price, advanced features, PQ, AQ, bitrates, storage space, etc) were absolutely meaningless. In the end, it came down to who had the deepest pockets. Bah :mad: :mad:

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2008, 03:21 PM
So whats the best deal out there for a Blue ray DVD player.

Any good ones you recommend, any that come with free movies? Looking to spend the tax refund on a new DVD player and looks like Blue Ray will win.

bluedogok
1/6/2008, 04:51 PM
The current Blu-ray promotion (http://www.bluraysavings.com/) of 5 movies ends on January 31. I am still waiting on mine to arrive, I have seen on the PS3 forum most are saying it is taking about 10-12 weeks to get the movies.

I need to send in the one that I have for the HD-DVD movies.

colleyvillesooner
1/7/2008, 10:57 AM
So whats the best deal out there for a Blue ray DVD player.

Any good ones you recommend, any that come with free movies? Looking to spend the tax refund on a new DVD player and looks like Blue Ray will win.

bump.

Anyone bought a Blue Ray player they like?

What are the drawbacks to getting the PS3 instead of a stand alone player?

Widescreen
1/7/2008, 06:54 PM
bump.

Anyone bought a Blue Ray player they like?

What are the drawbacks to getting the PS3 instead of a stand alone player?
If I was getting one today, I'd probably get a PS3. The price is pretty competitive with other players, plus you get the bonus of a nice game system. Sony seems pretty intent on keeping it updated via firmware too.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2008, 07:06 PM
Yup.

The major drawbacks are:

1) Bluetooth remote
2) Cannot send Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA as bitstream (and according to reports never will be able to-there's an issue with the HDMI chip)
3) Fugly

#1 hasn't been as big a problem as I thought, but it's still annoying to have a $400 remote that can't control my BD player.
#2 Isn't really an issue for Dolby TrueHD, as it will decode DTHD at the player and send it as PCM (which, theoretically, gives you the same result as decoding at the receiver.) The PS3 doesn't decode DTS-HD MA at all at this point in time, though it's rumored as a firmware upgrade in the future. Annoying, as all Fox releases have DTS-HD MA tracks as the only lossless option.

If you simply MUST have bitstream output of DTHD and DTS-HD MA, I believe the only player right now that supports it is the new Panasonic-which, IIRC, is also designed to be upgradeable to Profile 2.0.

jeremy885
1/7/2008, 09:03 PM
Yup.

The major drawbacks are:

1) Bluetooth remote
2) Cannot send Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA as bitstream (and according to reports never will be able to-there's an issue with the HDMI chip)
3) Fugly

#1 hasn't been as big a problem as I thought, but it's still annoying to have a $400 remote that can't control my BD player.
#2 Isn't really an issue for Dolby TrueHD, as it will decode DTHD at the player and send it as PCM (which, theoretically, gives you the same result as decoding at the receiver.) The PS3 doesn't decode DTS-HD MA at all at this point in time, though it's rumored as a firmware upgrade in the future. Annoying, as all Fox releases have DTS-HD MA tracks as the only lossless option.

If you simply MUST have bitstream output of DTHD and DTS-HD MA, I believe the only player right now that supports it is the new Panasonic-which, IIRC, is also designed to be upgradeable to Profile 2.0.

Since I don't understand #2, will I even notice if I get a PS3 over a regular blue ray player?

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2008, 09:09 PM
Since I don't understand #2, will I even notice if I get a PS3 over a regular blue ray player?

Heh. Probably not. Particularly because, as I said, there's really only one BD player that will bitstream DTHD or DTS-HD MA.

DTHD and DTS-HD MA are both lossless audio codecs-a soundtrack fed into either encoding algorithm can be reconstructed exactly. Unless you're an audiophile, you probably won't notice a huge difference between them and regular DTS or DD. A good number of BDs are encoded with uncompressed PCM audio anyhow, though you can get better bit-depth in the same amount of space with a codec.

Upshot: unless you have a pretty darn nice receiver and speakers, it's probably nothing you'd care about.

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2008, 09:09 PM

Heh. Probably not. Particularly because, as I said, there's really only one BD player that will bitstream DTHD or DTS-HD MA.

DTHD and DTS-HD MA are both lossless audio codecs-a soundtrack fed into either encoding algorithm can be reconstructed exactly. Unless you're an audiophile, you probably won't notice a huge difference between them and regular DTS or DD. A good number of BDs are encoded with uncompressed PCM audio anyhow, though you can get better bit-depth in the same amount of space with a codec.

Upshot: unless you have a pretty darn nice receiver and speakers, it's probably nothing you'd care about.

jeremy885
1/7/2008, 09:15 PM
That's all I needed to know, thanks.

Widescreen
1/7/2008, 11:19 PM
Good old DD6.1 and DTS6.1 are plenty good for my ears.

By the way, Mike. In reading all the nonsense being spewed about this recent WB development, it seems that there's a cheap way to convert the PS3 to IR remote capable - some kind of USB adapter. You know anything about that?

bluedogok
1/7/2008, 11:25 PM
If you are in the makret for a new TV, well here ya go.

The Denver Post - Panasonic unveils world's largest TV (http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_7904252)
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 01/07/2008 01:52:19 PM MST

LAS VEGAS—A 150-inch high-definiton plasma TV unveiled by Panasonic is the world's largest to date, the Japanese consumer electronics company claimed Monday at the International Consumer Electronics Show.

The plasma panel features an 8.84 million pixel image resolution. Its screen is the equivalent of nine 50-inch sets, with an effective viewing area of 11 feet, the company said. It's a step up from Panasonic's 103-inch version, which cost $70,000 when it launched. The company did not say in a news release how much the 150-inch panel will cost.

Panasonic's other prototypes introduced at CES include a 42-inch panel that uses half the energy but stays as bright as its predecessor, and an ultra-thin 50-inch panel that is less an inch thick, the company said.

Both plasma and LCD TVs have been selling well in the U.S. as consumers are switching out their old tube sets so they can watch high-definition TV and movies.

Panasonic also said it plans to bring videos from Google Inc.'s YouTube directly to its line of Internet-enabled high-definition plasma TV sets. The new Viera HDTVs also provide access to Google's photo sharing site, Picasa.

Panasonic is a unit of Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site333/2008/0107/20080107__GadgetShowPanasonicTV~1_Gallery.jpg
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site333/2008/0107/20080107__GadgetShowPanasonicTV~3_Gallery.jpg

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2008, 11:32 PM
Good old DD6.1 and DTS6.1 are plenty good for my ears.

By the way, Mike. In reading all the nonsense being spewed about this recent WB development, it seems that there's a cheap way to convert the PS3 to IR remote capable - some kind of USB adapter. You know anything about that?

They're pretty good, sure. I can tell a difference between a DD track and a DTHD track, but I'll admit that it's pretty small-and even then a double-blind would probably fool me a good chunk of the time.

Audiophilia is all about paying stupid amounts of money for minor improvement. :D

I'm aware that there's a USB solution for IR on the PS3, I just haven't really looked into it that hard. The Bluetooth remote doesn't bother me THAT much. One of these days I'll probably get one.

Widescreen
1/7/2008, 11:39 PM
Audiophilia
I forget. Is that the one where you like having secks with dead people or the one where you can't stop bleeding?

Widescreen
1/8/2008, 01:44 AM
This BD vs. HD-DVD thing keeps getting more interesting.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-bd75-11dc-b7e6-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

If this is true, wow!

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2008, 01:46 AM
According to Paramount reps, it's not true.

So I expect both Paramount and Universal to switch tomorrow.

Widescreen
1/8/2008, 01:49 AM
Heh.

You know, if that turns out to be true, I can't honestly remember a time when dominoes fell like that in the CE industry.

Frozen Sooner
1/8/2008, 02:00 AM
Well, Warner was saying pretty much the same thing right up until they said "PSYCHE!!!"

Here's the rumors that are flying around, by the way:

Toshiba was set to make a huge announcement today-the first official day of CES. When Warner made their announcement on Friday, Toshiba canceled their press conference. Somewhat informed speculation is thus:

Toshiba offered a pile of money to Fox to either go neutral or HD DVD exclusive. Warner was going to move to HD DVD exclusive as well in order to bring a quick end to the war. Fox was going to go ahead and do it, but Toshiba couldn't satisfy one of their concerns-likely something to do with copy protection. Fox went to the BDA and told them they were thinking of switching and got offered a pile of cash and assurances on copy protection. Since Fox wasn't switching to HD DVD, Warner decided to go to BD exclusive to end it quickly.

At this point, I'm hoping HD DVD dies very quickly. I liked the format a great deal and I'm not a big fan of how BD has been implemented in some cases, but now that BD is clearly going to win this thing I'd prefer to get it out of the way so there can be a focus on replacing DVD as the standard of choice.

What I see as happening very quickly (like Q4) is Toshiba striking a deal with the BDA to include HD DVD playback in the BD spec for a future profile. The PS3 is hardware-capable of playing HD DVD-it uses a floating focus laser so that only one laser had to be used for BD and DVD playback. Most BD players do not, they have two fixed focus lasers. Since HD DVD has a the same focal point as DVD, future BD players may all include floating focus lasers.

Anyhow, doing that will allow HD DVD owners to continue to use their libraries in future players and save Toshiba from a PR nightmare. The BDA would likely be all over this as it would help sell players-HD DVD owners wouldn't have to replace their whole libraries.

I dunno, just seems to make sense.

Widescreen
1/8/2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah, that matches up to some of the rumors I've been reading online. If your idea about Toshiba trying to get with the BD group happens, it will be interesting to see what the BD group says. They would have good business reasons to say both yes and no. The stupid thing is, if it's technically possible for HD-DVD to be included in a profile now, it certainly was 2 years ago. This whole format war was all about ego and $$$$ and had nothing to do with what's best for the customer. If there had been a unified standard when HD media was being introduced, the adoption would've been a fair amount higher by now IMO. OTOH, prices are probably a bit lower than they would've otherwise been so it's not all been bad.

Still, I'm probably going to hang out, wait for BD 2.0 and for prices to drop further before jumping in. My projector won't realistically resolve more than 720p anyway so I'll probably wait until I get a 1080p projector and make it a package deal.

soonerboomer93
1/8/2008, 02:41 AM
biggest hint to me that BD would win??

you can buy BD burners for computers ( and most specifically high end gaming laptops)
I have yet to see an HD burner

as the gamers go, so do the other consumers eventually.

edit: apparently there is an HD-DVD burner for desktops, made by toshiba, but if newegg doens't stock it, it doesn't exist

colleyvillesooner
1/8/2008, 09:55 AM
SO would I notice a drastic difference in picture quality watching on this TV, my few years old 1st HD set? http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/sony-kv-30hs420/4507-6481_7-30895537.html?tag=specs

Would the PS3 be able to update to BD 2.0 or would a new player be required?

Widescreen
1/8/2008, 11:30 AM
SO would I notice a drastic difference in picture quality watching on this TV, my few years old 1st HD set? http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/sony-kv-30hs420/4507-6481_7-30895537.html?tag=specs

I don't see why not. If your convergence and focus is set correctly, you should be good. CRT's are awesome as long as they're properly set up - but that can be a major hassle.

jkjsooner
1/21/2008, 12:00 AM
Just found this thread so I wanted to bump it...

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2008, 06:00 PM
I don't see why not. If your convergence and focus is set correctly, you should be good. CRT's are awesome as long as they're properly set up - but that can be a major hassle.

Thanks! I found a website that helped my change some stuff in the service menu and now I get an even better picture. Thinking about getting the PS# this weekend.

Also, I have this old HD CRT TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-30HS420-Trinitron-HD-Ready-Widescreen/dp/B0002F7I9O

Mike or anyone with an answer:

When setting up my cable box, should i set it to 720p or 1080i, or does it matter.

thanks.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 06:28 PM
I have a question since this thread was bumped. On a few of the HD channels, mainly Showtime and one of the Starz, the sound is about a half a second ahead of the picture. Sometimes it seems it is worse and I have tried pausing and restarting the movie several times but it doesn' work.

Is it Direct TV, the TV, or Showtime/Starz problems?

bluedogok
2/16/2008, 06:53 PM
I don't have Showtime/Starz but occasionally get out of sync audio on other channels. I either hit pause and restart it and it syncs or change the channel and it syncs when I go back to the chammel.

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2008, 06:59 PM
Also, in the market for a 42" or little bigger, plasma or LCD under $2000.

What are my best bets? I've noticed there are a lot more LCD's than Plasma's. why?

Should I go ahead and try to find a on sale 1080p in that price range, or getting a "better" 70p in that price range. I'm looking at the PS3 for Blu ray as well.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 07:02 PM

What are my best bets? I've noticed there are a lot more LCD's than Plasma's. why?

My info is not great but it seems I remember hearing plasma is on its way out with the improvements to LCD...Not saying thats true and maybe i dreamed it but it seems thats what I heard

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 07:10 PM
I don't have Showtime/Starz but occasionally get out of sync audio on other channels. I either hit pause and restart it and it syncs or change the channel and it syncs when I go back to the chammel.

I had tried that a few times but with those channels nothing seems to work

85Sooner
2/16/2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks! I found a website that helped my change some stuff in the service menu and now I get an even better picture. Thinking about getting the PS# this weekend.

Also, I have this old HD CRT TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-30HS420-Trinitron-HD-Ready-Widescreen/dp/B0002F7I9O

Mike or anyone with an answer:

When setting up my cable box, should i set it to 720p or 1080i, or does it matter.

thanks.

720p

85Sooner
2/16/2008, 07:25 PM

Should I go ahead and try to find a on sale 1080p in that price range, or getting a "better" 70p in that price range. I'm looking at the PS3 for Blu ray as well.

Pioneer PDP4280hd for about 1799.00 if you can find one.

Sont kdl40xbr4 for 1999.00. currently in production

85Sooner
2/16/2008, 07:26 PM
My info is not great but it seems I remember hearing plasma is on its way out with the improvements to LCD...Not saying thats true and maybe i dreamed it but it seems thats what I heard

Plasma definitrly not on its way out but there are mainly going to be larger sizes. so don't be surprised to see only 50" and above sizes.

The new pioneer that is going to come out is about 1 inch thick and will sell in the 8-9k range.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 07:29 PM
Plasma definitrly not on its way out but there are mainly going to be larger sizes. so don't be surprised to see only 50" and above sizes.

The new pioneer that is going to come out is about 1 inch thick and will sell in the 8-9k range.

I saw it on a board somewhere. I found where I saw it but it wasn't from a good source. Thanks for the correction

OUAndy1807
2/16/2008, 08:43 PM
with the LCD's starting to have 120mhz, what is the major advantage of plasma? Besides the shiny screen that reflects everything? (edit: oh, it's the width, isn't it?)

Also, I have a friend (really, it's not me. I wish it was) who has a friend who "leases" him a rx for satellite service. My friend bought the dish on ebay and pays like $20/month for the rx (I think it costs his friend $10/mo) Assuming he never hooks the rx up to the phone line in his house, is there any way for the satellite company to know that he's stealing signal from them?

bluedogok
2/16/2008, 09:10 PM
I think plasma looks better than LCD if you have optimal lighting conditions, LCD looks better if you have typical lighting and windows that most people have in their homes.

As far as the dish, there is really no way to get caught unless someone turns the registered owner in.

85Sooner
2/17/2008, 08:58 AM
Pioneer plasmas use a "black striping" screen which is a patented process where
microscopic etchs are made on the inside of the screen. This prevents 2 things. 1 reflection and 2. Picture fade due to light. The panel refracts light in any situation. Thus when it comes to lcd vs plasma, you have to separate Pioneer from teh other guys. THey are very different.

colleyvillesooner
2/17/2008, 10:30 AM
Pioneer PDP4280hd for about 1799.00 if you can find one.

Sont kdl40xbr4 for 1999.00. currently in production

I usually like Sony tv's. How does the 46" Samsung 1080p 120 MHz compare? It's only a few hundred more.

Is the 120 MHz gonna help that much with the overall picture?

85Sooner
2/17/2008, 12:58 PM
I usually like Sony tv's. How does the 46" Samsung 1080p 120 MHz compare? It's only a few hundred more.

Is the 120 MHz gonna help that much with the overall picture?

120MHZ shows well on the sony xbr's, In all honesty we have the samsung next to the sony on the floor. sony's outsell the samsungs 20-1.

I can tell you that no one who works here owns a samsung.

Boomer.....
2/19/2008, 10:08 AM
Are all TV channels filmed in HD? The reason I ask is because some seem to have sharper images, like ESPN, while some of the newer ones are not as clear, like A&E. A lot of the new HD channels do not state that the channel is in HD, yet it is shown as a full screen picture on the HD channels, where an ABC or ESPN program which is not labeled HD would have the black boxes on the sides. Also, all of the commercials on these channels are full screen pictures where other channels have the black boxes on the sides.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 10:59 AM
I believe they are just stretching the SD content to fill the screen. You'll also see it on some smaller golf tourneys where the Tower cam's by the greens are HD, but the cameras following the golfers are SD, so they stretch them to fill the screen so it's no a constant back and forth of bars and no bars,

Boomer.....
2/19/2008, 11:15 AM
Why wouldn't all channels just stretch the bars?

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 11:19 AM
Cause it looks worse?

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2008, 04:05 PM
OK, so Toshiba officially announced they are discontinuing production on HD DVD. LG will still manufacture combo players for the time being. Universal stated that they will immediately begin production of BD media. Paramount has not said anything as yet.

OUbones
2/19/2008, 05:19 PM
With the amount of content that can be saved on a blu ray disc vs hd disc, I was just amazed that there was even a battle.

soonernation
2/19/2008, 05:44 PM
Why wouldn't all channels just stretch the bars?

I thought it had something to do with the camera they use for filming. The newer ones are filmed with 16:9 rather than 4:3. I could be wrong on this.

Also on the Motorola cable box you need to go to the 4:3 override setting and set it to 16:9 aspect ratio to get the picture to go all the way across the screen on a wide screen tv. This does not stretch the picture it expands it.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 06:08 PM
On my cable box, my options for 4:3 override are "off", 480i, 480p and stretch.

Which will make my SD channels looks the best with no bars

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2008, 06:18 PM
On my cable box, my options for 4:3 override are "off", 480i, 480p and stretch.

Which will make my SD channels looks the best with no bars

You've got two different and opposed variables there, cv.

480p will make it look the best.

"Stretch" will give you no pillarboxes. It will also distort screen images.

Don't mind me, though. I'm an OAR snob.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 06:22 PM
but 480p will have bars?

Is OAR Over the Air?

Can I just by a cheap antenna and grab some more HD channels?

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2008, 06:25 PM
OAR=Original Aspect Ratio.

480p should be pillarboxed if you're receiving a 4:3 aspect ratio signal, unless there's some other signal processing (say, from the display or an external scaler.)

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 09:02 PM
480p is still full screen on the SD channels.

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2008, 09:04 PM
Then there's some other processing going on there.

Rogue
1/30/2010, 11:47 PM
I'm seriously thinking of getting the LG 47" LED LH90.
1080; 240 Hz; 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio; great reviews.
$1599.

Mrs. Rogue has about convinced me to try out the stock speakers for awhile before getting a "system." I don't need theater quality surround and a huge receiver so I was looking at the Panasonic 7.1 1000 watt Bluray b/c it has an ipod dock and plays everything from my CD-R live shows to Bluray. But I think I'll save the $500 and take Mrs. Rogue's advice this time.

Also having a hard time NOT buying anything that's not called a "fifty inch plasma."
That phrase makes some of my parts go all tingly.
It's like "bigger truck tires" or "touchdown Oklahoma!"

So, do I need $300 worth of HDMI and Digital-Optical cables?
What about the $99 "power cleaner?"
What about the $200 to $500 extended service plans? These all seem like scams to me so far.

If I watch some HD porn without using the most expensive HDMI cables will I go blind?

BB's Info on the TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9318623.p?skuId=9318623&id=1218084410226)

Boomer.....
1/30/2010, 11:53 PM
Personally, I would just buy cables from monoprice for a fraction of the big box stores price and skip on the "power cleaner" and warranties.

Boomerbrad
1/31/2010, 03:13 PM
Second vote for monoprice on cables...just bought a 6' HDMI for $8 (including shipping) that would have been $30-$50 at BB or Walmart.

85Sooner
2/1/2010, 09:25 AM
I'm seriously thinking of getting the LG 47" LED LH90.
1080; 240 Hz; 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio; great reviews.
$1599.

Mrs. Rogue has about convinced me to try out the stock speakers for awhile before getting a "system." I don't need theater quality surround and a huge receiver so I was looking at the Panasonic 7.1 1000 watt Bluray b/c it has an ipod dock and plays everything from my CD-R live shows to Bluray. But I think I'll save the $500 and take Mrs. Rogue's advice this time.

Also having a hard time NOT buying anything that's not called a "fifty inch plasma."
That phrase makes some of my parts go all tingly.
It's like "bigger truck tires" or "touchdown Oklahoma!"

So, do I need $300 worth of HDMI and Digital-Optical cables?
What about the $99 "power cleaner?"
What about the $200 to $500 extended service plans? These all seem like scams to me so far.

If I watch some HD porn without using the most expensive HDMI cables will I go blind?

BB's Info on the TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9318623.p?skuId=9318623&id=1218084410226)

Forget the 300,99,200-500..... and get a good TV, LG and their reviews are very suspect. We have LG returned more than any other brand. Get HDMI cables 24$ and a panamax surge protector 69$. If you get the LG DO GET THE PROTECTION PLAN.

Boomer.....
2/1/2010, 10:52 AM
Hey 85, what are your thoughts on LED tvs?