PDA

View Full Version : From the IDAHO STATESMAN today

soonerloyal
12/27/2006, 11:48 PM
December 27, 2006

Point counterpoint: Which player will have the biggest impact on the final outcome of the Fiesta Bowl?

Impact players: BSU's Clady, Oklahoma's Thompson

By Mike Prater and Brian Murphy
Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 12/27/06

Which player will have the biggest impact on the final outcome of the Fiesta Bowl?

MP: Adrian Peterson is the obvious pre-game MVP. The guy is destined for NFL stardom. With that said, I think Oklahoma quarterback Paul Thompson will have the biggest impact on this game and that doesn't necessarily mean in a positive way for the Sooners. His play could determine whether Oklahoma wins or loses. Peterson will get his yards, and BSU can live with that as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Thompson, who has been good though not spectacular, could be the difference-maker.

BM: The easy call is Boise State quarterback Jared Zabransky. And for the same reasons you mentioned for Thompson. If he plays well, the Broncos have a very good chance. If he has a repeat of the Georgia game, then the Broncos are in serious trouble. Since Zabransky is too obvious, I'll go with BSU left tackle Ryan Clady. In order for Zabransky and tailback Ian Johnson to have good games, the Broncos' offensive line must play very, very well.

MP: Clady is good — another future NFL player on the field — but the Broncos' offensive line works together. How could you shine the spotlight on one guy? I'm sticking with Thompson, who had two of his worst games in the Sooners' two losses. He completed only 56 percent of his passes and was sacked twice against Oregon, and tossed two picks against Texas. He can be rattled. Of course, he can be good, too(24-of-31 for 309 yards and two TDs in a win over Texas Tech).

BM: The Broncos love to run behind Clady and left guard Tad Miller. And the running game sets up everything the Broncos do in the pass game — play-action fakes, screens, etc. So if the Broncos can't run the ball behind Clady, who will be facing a steady stream of different defensive ends, then everything else falls apart. The Sooners can win this game with a below-average performance from Thompson. Adrian Peterson, Allen Patrick and the defense can take care of that. In order for BSU to pull off the upset, it must be able to move the ball on the ground. That starts with Clady — and his offensive line mates.

MP: You're right — the Sooners can win this game with a below-average performance from Thompson. But he's also perfectly capable of losing this game on his own. I think he's the one guy on the Oklahoma roster who is capable of that. If BSU's defense can gang up on him — sacks, interceptions, etc. — and force him into making mistakes like they have so many other quarterbacks this season, that drastically improves the Broncos' chances for an upset.

BM: I'm more concerned with the BSU offense than the defense. The defense will play solid and probably force Thompson into an average game (or worse). Stopping Peterson, to me, is more important. But the Broncos can't win this game without a good offensive performance and, to me, that means giving Zabransky time and Johnson room to roam. Pressure on the quarterback leads to turnovers. And a lack of a running game makes it easy for defenses to get that pressure. This game will be decided up front.

:pop: Wow. I didn't know crack could poison the potato crop that badly.

Easting
12/27/2006, 11:52 PM
:pop: Wow. I didn't know crack could poison the potato crop that badly.

LOL!

Boomer Sooner!

TheLlama
12/28/2006, 01:23 AM
OU defense wins ballgames son... its gonna be a bloodbath at the line of scrimmage when theyre on offense.

shelley45
12/28/2006, 02:03 AM
OU defense wins ballgames son... its gonna be a bloodbath at the line of scrimmage when theyre on offense.
OU defense gave up 34 to the ducks

setem
12/28/2006, 02:12 AM

Are you ****ing kidding me?

OUr deffense gave up 27... The officials can be credited with the other 7!

I know a game you might be good at, because we all know Oregon sucks at football and need help win games. After your inside man GR left your season went **** sour, didnt it? How about you go play a nice game of Hide and Go **** YOURSELF!!!:cool:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

shelley45
12/28/2006, 02:23 AM
OU looked horrible in Autzen and you know it! Boise State will exploit that defense worse than the Ducks did.

setem
12/28/2006, 02:31 AM
How about you stop being a faggot troll and do something productive! Maybe your dead mom can design a new uniform for your cheating,no good,lousy,god damn, ****ty *** football team you have are a fan for!

How many turnovers did you guys have that game?

After Gordon checked out, the wheels fell off! I hope you had fun watching BYU romp and stomp the Ducks *** up and down the field. I know I did!

Duke o Brewery
12/28/2006, 02:48 AM

Since giving up 27 points to the ducks, the Sooner Defense has allowed a mere 13 points per game average. Five of those final ten opponents were ranked.

And for what it's worth, OU held Colorado and Dan Hawkins' 'Boise-style' offense to a fieldgoal, and made it look easy.

BASSooner
12/28/2006, 02:48 AM
OU looked horrible in Autzen and you know it! Boise State will exploit that defense worse than the Ducks did.
I don't think you have any room to talk and you know why. Maybe OUr performance wasn't as good as we wanted it to be but you know for a clear fact that the sooners should've been the ones to come out with a victory so don't talk to us about how good or bad OUr defense is going to do.

By the way, those new helmets you guys are getting are just about as ugly as the your refs' officiating. Newer uniforms and helmets won't help your team win games.

have a good one

Octavian
12/28/2006, 02:54 AM
To any and all Oregon trolls:

Please STFU and leave us alone. We don't want to discuss the hosing anymore and there's absolutely nothing that can be said (by your fanbase, by ours, by the media) now that hasn't already been said a gazillion times.

Fairly or unfairly, our fanbase has been hounded for months but we've put it behind us and are back in the BCS.

2006 Oregon is an unfortunate and perplexing game in Oklahoma's amazing history....but it's only one game in over a century's worth of much, much bigger games.

Oregon will be remembered that day because they were playing Oklahoma.

We don't want you here and you're not welcome.

As for the Boise article...I don't see anything wrong with it.

SleestakSooner
12/28/2006, 06:02 AM
He completed only 56 percent of his passes

I see something wrong with it. Since when is completing over half of your pass attempts a bad outing? I seem to recall a pro QB completing only 1/3 of his attempts recently and being all over ESPN highlights for two days because of his one TD pass.

It is all subjective and we can't "pass" judgement so easily.

If BSU loads up to stop the run like we all suspect they will, PT will have an easy game of it unless he falls off the juggernaut assault he has been building since the loss of AD as OU's #1 threat.

arcman46
12/28/2006, 08:13 AM
If I had to wear the Ducks unis, I would probably kill myself.:D

mxATVracer10
12/28/2006, 08:28 AM
How about you go play a nice game of Hide and Go **** YOURSELF!!!:cool:

Oh oh oh, my favorite game!!!! :texan:

sooneron
12/28/2006, 08:43 AM
Isn't it amusing that this year's uo hose job will forever stand out as one of their biggest victories evar??!!!! While for us, it was just another road game which we happened to have gotten screwed in. Some would call that a hollow victory, but for them, it's a meaningful point in their program's history. What a pathetic bunch of fags.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/28/2006, 09:08 AM
To any and all Oregon trolls:

Please STFU and leave us alone. We don't want to discuss the hosing anymore and there's absolutely nothing that can be said (by your fanbase, by ours, by the media) now that hasn't already been said a gazillion times.

Fairly or unfairly, our fanbase has been hounded for months but we've put it behind us and are back in the BCS.

2006 Oregon is an unfortunate and perplexing game in Oklahoma's amazing history....but it's only one game in over a century's worth of much, much bigger games.

Oregon will be remembered that day because they were playing Oklahoma.

We don't want you here and you're not welcome.

As for the Boise article...I don't see anything wrong with it.

I haven't put it behind me! F the refs and F any fan that thinks it's ok to win that way. I am not picking on the Ducks here, because they didn't do anything but play the game.

Any 'fan' that thinks that was any where near the appropriate outcome of that game loses all credibility to me. If you saw it, you should know what happened. Any other decision is horse****.

Word to your mother.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/28/2006, 09:24 AM
OU defense gave up 34 to the ducksAnd oregon's defense gave up 38 to the cougars. What's your point?

aurorasooner
12/28/2006, 09:45 AM
OU looked horrible in Autzen and you know it! Boise State will exploit that defense worse than the Ducks did. if you think the sooner D is the same one that played against oregon you've got a screw loose. I watched the oregon hosing back a couple of nights after the ou/nebraska game, and this sooner D is much, much better covering the pass than the one in that oregon. also rufus and latimer are attacking like cumby and hunt (or Tmarshall and rocky) used to do. we've got 3 running backs that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field, and we now have a seasoned QB who can make you pay if try and cheat up on the run. this team is on a mission this year after getting hosed by the zebras against oregon and texass. boise better buckle up in this one because I think we're going to attack all night, and put the women and children to bed by halftime. if you see 3 WRs line up on the same side wide in an I-type formation to start the game, you'd better book an early flight.

Sooner_Havok
12/28/2006, 09:58 AM

Oooh, Oooh, I want to play the football is transitive game!!! Ok, we beat Baylor by 26 holding them to only 10 points. Baylor got screwed at washington st and lost by 2 scoring 15* and allowing 17.

OU>WSU by 24

Washington St. then went on to beat Whoregon by a score of 34-23. So, if you believe in the transitive football property, which you must since you say just because Whoregon scored 27 on us and exploited our defense...

WSU>UO by 11

Oklahoma > Whoregon by 35. Sounds about right huh, minus some home cooking by some hopped up hippes.

Anyway, please continue on with your story of how one team will do well because of the "proformance" of another team and the bought officials.:pop:

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/28/2006, 10:16 AM
Paul Thompson sucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfp9SiacVg

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/28/2006, 10:23 AM
Sucks ***.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twL5Z3oDGFc&mode=related&search=

JohnnyMack
12/28/2006, 10:32 AM
Are Boise State's CB's all still under 6 foot tall?

Yes.

Is Malcolm Kelly still like really tall and stuff?

Yes.

Did these two guys watch the OU/Nebbish game?

Doesn't seem like it.

StoopTroup
12/28/2006, 10:39 AM
Paul Thompson sucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfp9SiacVg
There's a drive I will never tire of seeing....

Oldnslo
12/28/2006, 10:46 AM
If I have to pick one guy on whose shoulders I want the game to rest,

I pick Paul.

If the spuds are planning on putting the game in Paul's hands, we win.

Landthief 1972
12/28/2006, 11:01 AM
Why is it the spuds' sports writers completely kiss their ***, but our local yokels seem to get off on bagging on us 24/7?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2006, 11:02 AM
if you think the sooner D is the same one that played against oregon you've got a screw loose. I watched the oregon hosing back a couple of nights after the ou/nebraska game, and this sooner D is much, much better covering the pass than the one in that oregon. also rufus and latimer are attacking like cumby and hunt (or Tmarshall and rocky) used to do. we've got 3 running backs that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field, and we now have a seasoned QB who can make you pay if try and cheat up on the run. this team is on a mission this year after getting hosed by the zebras against oregon and texass. boise better buckle up in this one because I think we're going to attack all night, and put the women and children to bed by halftime. if you see 3 WRs line up on the same side wide in an I-type formation to start the game, you'd better book an early flight.Very well said, and I'm glad you included tx in the "refs screwed us again" category. You can pretty well count on another officials' hose-job in the upcoming Fiesta Bowl, too. Hopefully we will be able to score enough to overcome what we expect the refs to do.

TexasSooner01
12/28/2006, 11:09 AM

OMG what kind of crack have you been smokin? :confused: :confused:

So you are saying that Boise [I]can actually beat us w/o help from the refs[I]?

:rolleyes: WHATEVAR!

TexasSooner01
12/28/2006, 11:12 AM
If I had to wear the Ducks unis, I would probably kill myself.:D

or at the very least throw up!

Come to think of it....the throw up might make the uni's look better! :D

StuIsTheMan
12/28/2006, 11:13 AM

LightningYellow
"Autzen Stadium: The place where Heisman hopes are dashed, undefeated seasons end, and great teams go do die."

CoffeePeeYellow
"Fraudtzen Stadium: The place where the Heisman won’t ever come, we have never had an undefeated season, and great Ref's go to Lie."

fixed

OUswagger
12/28/2006, 12:45 PM
At least if the whoregon game will never rest, at least the memory will be how the cheating zebras hosed us. As for the "autzen" debocle OU lost, texas didnt win. OU had 6 turnovers. OU beat ourselves, and made a great recovery for the rest o the year. BIG 12 CHAMPS (at the expense of saxet, thank you very much) now BCS Fiesta soon to be CHAMPS!!!! BOOMER!!!

tommieharris91
12/28/2006, 02:29 PM
Peterson will get his yards, and BSU can live with that as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Peterson's line: 3 car, 244 yds, 3TD.

OK2LA
12/28/2006, 02:49 PM

Shelly,

I have some advice for you. Put that OU/UO game in a picture frame, and put it on your mantle. Look at it, praise it, remember it, love it, and above all - be proud of it. After all, that is what you have after this year. That is THE lone bright spot in your season. THAT my friend is sad. Even when it is up there on your mantle with that giant asterisk-that's ALL that you have.

From that moment in time, to now - our programs have both reacted to that game . . . & moved in different directions.

It really is quite embarassing to see how you've come on here since that game, and spread your hatred. Look. We as fans do not despise you, your program, or your coaches. They all are very respectable. We both know that the ref's had an unfortunate hand in the outcome of that game.

It's over.

Move on.

I assume that you're hanging around here, hoping that BSU beats us so you can throw that up in our faces as your swan song for all of the abuse you've taken for that game. Feel free to do what you want, but it is unbecoming of a football fan, and really gives your fans a bad name. I had a great time in Eugene, and made a rather lengthy post about the great family that invited us to their tailgate, and then back to their home after the game that day. Your team didn't respond well after the OU game this year, and that's unfortunate. I had hoped that the major fawk up would at the very least benefit you in a way that you could take solace in the fact that you as a program had nothing to do with the error. Unfortunately, the weight of that error crushed your teams hopes & confidence.

After the OU game you beat ASU. That was good, but then you laid an egg at Cal - you got beat by 3 touchdowns.

After Cal, you lost again by double digits to a 4-3 Washington State team (6-6)

You then went on your 2 game winning streak - crushing Portland State (who I assume is your other in state rival) and Washington.

This is where the wheels fell off. You'd figure that after you beat one of your biggest rivals, you'd use that as a springboard into finishing up the season strong.

Nope.

You got blown out in 3 of your last 4 games scoring at total of 56 points combined while your opponents ran up 140 on you.

140-56.

You got blown out by Arizona. (37-10)

The same Arizona team that BEAT BYU in the first game of the season.

Did I mention that BYU blew you out? (38-8) That one should be a little more fresh in your memory since it just happened a few days ago.

Shelly. You don't have a leg to stand on. Please. Do us all a favor, and move on.

soonerloyal
12/28/2006, 03:02 PM
Peterson's line: 3 car, 244 yds, 3TD.

Just checking, sir...you do realize I was just posting the article, right? I'm not agreeing with what was said therein. Nosireebob.

What I see wrong with the article is that it comes across to me as a diss on PT. That's something I'm not willing to let happen without a return punch.

Just clarifying...

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2006, 04:14 PM
Memories are short.

Josh Heupel 2000: 64% compl., 20 TD's, 15 INT's.

Paul Thompson 2006: 61% compl., 20 TD's, 8 INT's.

I'll take it.

tpatton
12/28/2006, 04:19 PM
Cool stats for AD. A bit out there, but cool. Be realistic. More along the line of 23 carries, 226 yards, 2 TD's. This will include at least two highlight film runs late in the third quarter. BSU will probably stack to stop him early, have a bit of success until PT starts eating them up, then back off to cover the pass....

setem
12/28/2006, 05:52 PM
Cool stats for AD. A bit out there, but cool. Be realistic. More along the line of 23 carries, 226 yards, 2 TD's. This will include at least two highlight film runs late in the third quarter. BSU will probably stack to stop him early, have a bit of success until PT starts eating them up, then back off to cover the pass....

I like the way this guy thinks!:cool:

Dio
12/28/2006, 06:04 PM
I hate Nike U and want to drown their ducklings.

SoonerMom2
12/28/2006, 06:06 PM

That is one of the funniest things I have read after you all got clobbered by BYU and you know full well the refs handed you to the game against OU. Pretty lame!

BTW, did your #2 man in the booth feeding Reese the video who was employed by Oregon also leave Pac 10 football completely or is your handpicked man going to be back next year in the Oregon booth to help with replays. Since Reese and him were banned from replays for the season, your season pretty much tanked! Wonder why?

When you have refs in your back pocket and one of them in the replay booth is employed by Oregon does make me wonder about your entire program owned by Nike. Did anyone happen to mention that the head ref and your coach went to high school together? Who is calling the shots at Oregon? Head of Nike or your AD? This inquiring mind would like to know!

With all of that, you have the nerve to come on this message board -- truly amazing.

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/28/2006, 09:57 PM
shelley is a b.

mightysooner
12/28/2006, 10:59 PM
How cute.....I don't think those Idahoans have a full understanding of what they're up against.

Texas Golfer
12/29/2006, 11:42 AM
I don't have a problem with Oregon fans accepting their win. It was a gift and should be received as one.

I do have a problem with them coming over here and talking smack as if it were their team that beat us.

TexasSooner01
12/29/2006, 12:03 PM
I don't have a problem with Oregon fans accepting their win. It was a gift and should be received as one.

I do have a problem with them coming over here and talking smack as if it were their team that beat us.

You are so correct!

:les: ONLY GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE SILLY TROLLS!

:pop: