PDA

View Full Version : Feed the Fullbacks?

franklinjake
12/27/2006, 10:25 PM
Just out of curiousity, what ever happened to handing off to the fullback on 4th and inches or 1 yard out from the goaline? Or what ever happened to feeding the ball to our fullback period? Now it seems like the H-Back is always going to get the ball in I formations. I can't remember the last time we have given the fullback the ball????

I for one would love to see the fullback get back involved in getting handed the ball. Opinions?????

goingoneight
12/27/2006, 10:35 PM
Well, us white people don't run the ball so well. :O

franklinjake
12/27/2006, 10:46 PM
Well, us white people don't run the ball so well. :O
ha ha ha, you have a point! I think BSU will be concentrating so much on AD and AP though that maybe have some plays to have the play looking like a toss or something, and to actually feed it to the fullback for a nice little 10 yard gain since the entire BSU defense will be rolling with the fake to the right or left after AD or AP ??????

SoonerDood
12/27/2006, 11:27 PM
unlike XBox, that play doesn't work as well in real life.

freshchris05
12/28/2006, 12:38 AM
i'd like to see some fullback plays as well but we cant even get those guys to catch or even stay on their feet right now so we'll see how it comes along...

Getem
12/28/2006, 12:38 AM
Too slow-developing. Need a quick-hitting play before the D can react.

goingoneight
12/28/2006, 12:49 AM
KW and Stoops have used guys before as stand in FBs. Not necessarily by trade, but just cuz they're big enough to block and not tarded enough to drop a screen pass. Eldridge did great blocking this year, catching and running, not so much. Same could be said about Clapp and Zaslaw. Much like Chuck Long, I'm afraid FB's are basically just extra OL for us. Now we have some great tight ends in JJF and JG. Those guys are pimps in the receiving game. JJF aint flashy-dashy, but he always manages to get wide-freaking open.

OK2LA
12/28/2006, 12:54 AM
Just out of curiousity, what ever happened to handing off to the fullback on 4th and inches or 1 yard out from the goaline? Or what ever happened to feeding the ball to our fullback period? Now it seems like the H-Back is always going to get the ball in I formations. I can't remember the last time we have given the fullback the ball????

I for one would love to see the fullback get back involved in getting handed the ball. Opinions?????

M.H.O.

There's only so many offensive plays that a team has period. You want to try to get the ball to your best players, and it's (giving the ball to a fullback) easily second guessed when it fails. We've PASSED to the fullback a few times this year - and it has worked pretty well I might add. The fullback is pretty much like the tight end. (depending upon who's calling the offensive plays) He is going to be blocking on most plays, and will occassionally get the ball to keep the defenses honest in guarding those "offensive" players.

freshchris05
12/28/2006, 01:16 AM
with me it goes a whole lot deep than just the fullback not running, i have problems with our offense but i dont want to sound like a greedy or unappreciative fan... i would like to see more from our offense...

we have the type of athletes where you dont have to run a million alterations of one formation, trick plays, or motion in every play, we can line up and beat you in all phases but that doesnt mean we should get extremely vanilla, slow down the tempo and sit on lead...

mxATVracer10
12/28/2006, 09:45 AM
Just out of curiousity, what ever happened to handing off to the fullback on 4th and inches or 1 yard out from the goaline?

AD happened YWIA :P

PAW
12/28/2006, 10:04 AM
Reminds me of the aTm thrashing when OU was up a bajillion to nothing and on the goal-line again. Bob said to run a fullback dive and Long told him there wasn't one in the playbook. Bob said to put one in and run it. I doubt there's a FB dive play in the current playbook.

It's kind of like when people were talking about PT running more early this year and Bob said we had other people to run the ball. Bob wants the ball in the hands of the playmakers, IMO. Out of the backfield, the FB's are road-graders for the guys who have the potential to break it long. They've caught a few passes, but dropped just as many, IIRC.

The Preach Man
12/28/2006, 11:31 AM
I can't remember the last time we have given the fullback the ball????

Coach Fran can remember. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
12/28/2006, 12:28 PM
Too slow-developing. Need a quick-hitting play before the D can react.

That's a joke, right? The dump to the fullback, too slow-developing?

OU Adonis
12/28/2006, 12:42 PM
Dump to the fullback is the fastest hitting run play to the line of scrimmage.

franklinjake
12/28/2006, 07:11 PM
All great points. I definately see both sides!

mightysooner
12/28/2006, 11:03 PM
Iv'e been calling for fullback touches for 3 years now. Every eligible player who can touch the ball should get touches. That's how you keep a defense on it's heels.

GottaHavePride
12/28/2006, 11:11 PM
I was calling for a fullback run game when we had JD. Now? Not so much.

mightysooner
12/28/2006, 11:18 PM
I was calling for a fullback run game when we had JD. Now? Not so much.

Agreed. JD was very athletic and could've carried the ball I have no doubt.

setem
12/28/2006, 11:27 PM
Agreed. JD was very athletic and could've carried the ball I have no doubt.

That catch he made in the Holiday Bowl last year was top drawer!:D

franklinjake
12/29/2006, 07:43 PM
Iv'e been calling for fullback touches for 3 years now. Every eligible player who can touch the ball should get touches. That's how you keep a defense on it's heels.

Agreed. I mean you know it is always going to AD or AP depending who is on that particular play. But if we mixed it up a little bit with giving the Fullback some carries, then it may give a slight second of hesitation on the defense when we run out of the I formation and help AD and AP get that extra sec for a read, or suck the defenders inside more to bounce it out, etc. Plus I love to watch those big beefy bastard F-Backs pound the middle of the D line.....

LittleWingSooner
12/29/2006, 07:53 PM
The full back as a position is pretty obsolete now.

oumartin
12/29/2006, 07:56 PM
Certainly,
In a Great Way.

franklinjake
12/29/2006, 08:25 PM
Certainly,
In a Great Way.
What about Rufus in as fullback, backed up by AD in the I, on 1st and goal on the 1 yard line? That could make it fun.... Could you see the fear of God in the D's eyes?