PDA

View Full Version : a driving poll

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 10:24 PM
wont make this scientific for .....ahem, obvious reasons, however this is work related, so i would like to get your response

ok, situation....you and another car are in a double left turn lane, sitting at a red light. the green arrow comes on, and you're both turning left...

do you think the natural tendency is:

a) both cars tend to swing out wide, toward the right
2) both cars tend to turn sharper than necessary, towards the left

SCOUT
12/27/2006, 10:26 PM
The natural tendency is to swing out wide toward the right. That path requires less effort. IMO

GottaHavePride
12/27/2006, 10:27 PM
I tend to stay in the center of my lane like I always do. However, it usually seems that the inner car cuts the turn sharper than necessary, while the outer car swings wide to increase the clearance between the cars.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 10:29 PM
It depends. I think if I'm on the far left I usually try to go as wide as I can without veering into the other lane.

If I'm in the right lane then I cut it close.

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 10:35 PM
ok, i should have clarified.....all the perfect drivers, pretend you're not

if you've got two cars that collide during that left turn.....a side swipe.

which car would you say.....and again, this is just a gut feeling....which car would tend to initiate contact in that turn? the car on the inside swinging out to wide to the right? or the car on the outside cutting it too sharp to the right?

Howzit
12/27/2006, 10:35 PM
why don't you have a customized title thingy, jk?

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 10:36 PM
i ****ed beano off, so he's teaching me a lesson

GottaHavePride
12/27/2006, 10:40 PM

which car would you say.....and again, this is just a gut feeling....which car would tend to initiate contact in that turn? the car on the inside swinging out to wide to the right? or the car on the outside cutting it too sharp to the right?
I think 90% of the time it would be from the inner car swinging wide. Everyone (in this part of the country, anyway) tends to take turns too fast and swing out an extra lane when turning - it lets them go faster through the turn and pretend they're F1 drivers. But in a double-turn lane a lot of times the outer car doesn't have an extra lane, so they HAVE to turn properly, and if the inner car forgets and tries to swing wide like normal...

KABOOKIE
12/27/2006, 10:44 PM
Just give 'em their G.D. check.

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 10:50 PM
Inner car swinging too wide. I deal with one if these lanes every day, and I ALWAYS take the far right lane, so I can control the situation and swing wide out of the inside guys way.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 10:54 PM
Inside car. People in the first turn lane never seem to be able to figure out that they can't just turn into whatever fool-*** lane they want.

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 10:57 PM
Inside car. People in the first turn lane never seem to be able to figure out that they can't just turn into whatever fool-*** lane they want.

I believe you had a similar problem recently. :D

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 11:00 PM
ok, this was my answer/thoughts as well

we have alot of accidents in this scenario....sometimes our insured is on the inside, sometimes on the out.....but there is never a witness nor a police report that is worth a flip

my boss seems to think the answer is the other way around.....he's crazy

Rogue
12/27/2006, 11:07 PM
I'd say the inside lane, mostly because of the way the car is configured. With the driver on the left side, the short chicks can't see where the right side of the car is most of the time. 'Cept in Europe.

Rogue
12/27/2006, 11:09 PM
Oh, and I'd be willin' to bet that some insurance actuary type knows the statistical answer to this.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 11:19 PM
I believe you had a similar problem recently. :D

Recently, a while ago, basically whenever I want to turn right off of Benson onto the New Seward Highway.

And jk, the answer is "If our insured is in the inside lane, then it was the person in the outside lane's fault. If our insured is in the outside lane, then it was the person in the inside lane."

Logically, it's just more likely that someone in the inside lane was taking a wide turn to the second lane. People in the second turn lane know they were in the second lane.

BajaOklahoma
12/27/2006, 11:21 PM
In my case, it would be the other guy's fault. Always.

Scott D
12/27/2006, 11:22 PM
ok, this was my answer/thoughts as well

we have alot of accidents in this scenario....sometimes our insured is on the inside, sometimes on the out.....but there is never a witness nor a police report that is worth a flip

my boss seems to think the answer is the other way around.....he's crazy

your boss probably also thinks that a person making a left hand turn into oncoming traffic is never at fault in an accident also ;)

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 11:23 PM
not necessarily true, but he's good at finding some comparative negligence on the person with the right of way ;)

Scott D
12/27/2006, 11:25 PM
kinda makes me glad that my accident was weather related and no other vehicles involved :D

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 11:31 PM
not necessarily true, but he's good at finding some comparative negligence on the person with the right of way ;)

It's crap like this that makes me think that Massachusetts actually had a good idea with how they handle claims.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 11:41 PM
Let me ask you all this question,
Why can't you turn left on red onto a one way street going that direction? Isn't it the same concept as right on red?

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 11:44 PM
Why can't you turn left on red onto a one way street going that direction? Isn't it the same concept as right on red?
Not if your street is a two way. They could turn down it.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 11:46 PM
You can turn left on red from a one way onto a one way. You cannot turn left on red either from a two way or onto a two way.

The reason you can't do what you want to do is because a light-controlled intersection presumably has significant traffic and you need to monitor traffic coming from two different directions-from your right and in front of you.

sooneron
I gotta go with the inside car swinging too wide.

SicEmBaylor
Not if your street is a two way. They could turn down it.

Well that's true, but I was thinking two intersecting one way streets.

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 11:47 PM

You can't do that? I do.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 11:47 PM
You can't do that? I do.

I was stopped by a cop once in Waco for doing that. I didn't get a ticket but he told me not to do it again.

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 11:48 PM

You can totally do that. At least you can here. I do it all the time and I've done it in front of cops who didn't seem to care.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 11:49 PM
You can totally do that. At least you can here. I do it all the time and I've done it in front of cops who didn't seem to care.

Then I'm going to keep doing it and if I get stopped again they can kiss my ***. :D

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 11:50 PM
Tell em we said you could. It'll be cool. :D

OUinFLA
12/27/2006, 11:52 PM
Then I'm going to keep doing it and if I get stopped again they can kiss my ***. :D

You'll do anything to get a date, won't you?
:D

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2006, 11:52 PM

Well, you may wish to check your local driving regulations. It's legal to boogie whilst doing car karaoke here, and I doubt that's legal in Waco.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 11:54 PM
You'll do anything to get a date, won't you?
Yes.:hot: :twinkies:

MamaMia
12/28/2006, 12:18 AM
If I'm in the left lane and there are no cars to the left of me in the lanes of the place where I'm turning, I will scoot over just a tad to make some extra room for the car to the right of me, but I wont cross the line. If I'm driving the car in the right lane turning left, I will scoot over to the right just a bit to give the car to my left some extra room.

If I'm all alone, how I turn depends on the weather.

I hope that helps. :)

critical_phil
12/28/2006, 01:23 AM
when faced with these type of turns, i always put one hand on the horn, get my middle finger ready, and clinch my lips in the "F" position - no matter which lane i'm in. there seem to be many people that can't negotiate this kind of turn.

how about this for a theory: no matter the lane, the car with the furthermost aft damage would tend to be at fault. i'm saying that only because it would indicate that driver had lost sight of the other vehicle.

sooner n houston
12/28/2006, 10:03 AM
Or its always the womans fault, kinda works for me! :D

TexasSooner01
12/28/2006, 10:38 AM

The firm i work with had a case like this one. the jury agreed that it was a 50/50 accident and came back w/a defense verdict....YEA!

Basicly the Pl's ins took care of Pl's vehicle and Def ins paid for Def's car.

hope this helps.....Of course this was in Harris Co. Texas...venue might be different where you are. :)

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 10:48 AM
nope, that sounds pretty typical for harris county, and we often offer 50%....but alot of claimants wont take it

thats ok, your insurance company will take it in a subro settlement

TexasSooner01
12/28/2006, 10:51 AM
nope, that sounds pretty typical for harris county, and we often offer 50%....but alot of claimants wont take it

thats ok, your insurance company will take it in a subro settlement

Yup...What county is this in? If you dont mind me askin

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 10:57 AM
oh, no particular county......hell we have these all the time, harris county, bexar, tarrant, dallas.....you name it, we get them

TexasSooner01
12/28/2006, 10:57 AM
We hate Walker, of course if you are a Pl you like it.

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 10:59 AM
we're not fond of anything in south texico......harris and dallas county are always fair

bexar is plaintiff friendly, very much so

Boarder
12/28/2006, 11:44 AM
Just drive a big truck that scares people into staying away from you. Then you can drive where you want.

sanantoniosooner
12/28/2006, 11:53 AM
Exactly.

I am the regional enforcer to make sure people stay in the lane they elected to choose in the first place.

I hate the a-holes that choose the right, of the two turn lanes, so they can turn on red, but then cross over to the third lane when they turn at the signal. I pretty much dare them to turn into me.

BTW. I know which lane is mine because there are little dots that tell me so.

slickdawg
12/28/2006, 11:56 AM
People always tend to cut hard on their turns, so I vote 2.

BajaOklahoma
12/28/2006, 12:37 PM
Then there is the woman that decided it should have been a double left turn lane and plowed into Lil Baja's car. Lil Baja was okay, just p!ssed. The lady said it was a double left turn lane the day before - uh, no. And it was a company car, so the woman had to call the police.
So Lil Baja got to drive a loaner for several weeks while the woman's company insurance tried to make her pay for stupidity.

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 02:05 PM
oh look, how cute....one of the admins added a poll for me

bri
12/28/2006, 02:54 PM
We aims to please!

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 02:57 PM
lottery!

Ike
12/28/2006, 03:12 PM
without more information, I can't give an answer. It would depend on where the contact happened. If the contact happened toward the outer part of the turn then the inside guy caused it...I would guess that this is more probable. However, I can see situations where the outside guy could cause an accident as well. I'd want more information before making a decision though.

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 03:17 PM
you damn scientists and your empirical evidence!!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
12/28/2006, 03:36 PM
You'd think an admin would be smart enough to limit the pollster to one choice in this case.

Odd.

bri
12/28/2006, 03:49 PM
We just figure that this way, everyone can jack with the poll by voting for everything. :D

sanantoniosooner
12/28/2006, 03:51 PM
Who was the spokesman for the admin before they brought you on board?

bri
12/28/2006, 04:02 PM
We just let the random, paranoid ramblings of whoever we were f*cking with speak for us.

jk the sooner fan
12/28/2006, 04:04 PM
nice

and so the baiting DOES occur on both sides

bri
12/28/2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, but some people are master baiters.

Get it? "Master baiters?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh, I kill me sometimes.

I guess I really am immature. Quick, someone take my moddy gun and badge before I put an eye out or something!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2006, 04:37 PM
This poll ****es me off.

All of y'all just stay the hell out of my way out there on the roads!

bri
12/28/2006, 05:26 PM
You lose effectiveness points for omitting "whippersnappers". :D

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2006, 05:36 PM
Yes, but some people are master baiters.

Get it? "Master baiters?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh, I kill me sometimes.

I guess I really am immature. Quick, someone take my moddy gun and badge before I put an eye out or something!

"Debaters do it orally"
"Debaters get it done in 16 minutes with 3 minutes prep time."

Both suggestions for my high school debate team t-shirts...both rejected by the administration. =(

This has little to do with the thread, but the "master baiter" joke reminded me of "master debater."

soonerbrat
12/28/2006, 05:48 PM

you can if the street you're on is also a one way street and you're in the far left lane.