PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in OKC....

OUAndy1807
12/27/2006, 09:06 PM
we're finally buying a house in the OKC area. Where would you guys live? So far we're looking at Norman anywhere West of OU or the Edgemere Park area in OKC. We're looking for an older house that we can put some money in to. We don't have kids, so schools aren't an issue.

SoonerInKCMO
12/27/2006, 09:12 PM
Older house to put some money into? I think BRJ might be the guy to ask - at least for the near NW part of OKC. Lots of potential in a lot of '20s-'30s era houses around there.

1stTimeCaller
12/27/2006, 09:14 PM
the ole lady get a yob?

congrats.

OUAndy1807
12/27/2006, 09:16 PM
the ole lady get a yob?

congrats.
yeah, they're picking her up with a real position next year, so we'll be around for a while.

thanks.

Rhino
12/27/2006, 09:25 PM
Buy my house near OKCCC. Thanks.

OUAndy1807
12/27/2006, 09:27 PM
Buy my house near OKCCC. Thanks.
no offense, but yuck.

Rhino
12/27/2006, 09:28 PM
You think yuck, until you see the second living room. Then you think, party!

StoopTroup
12/27/2006, 09:52 PM
OKC is a beautiful place to live like a hillbilly...

You can park your home anywhere you want.

http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/rv/redneck-rv.jpg

Rogue
12/27/2006, 11:11 PM
Big Red Jed is the guy for this question. I'm still waiting for an opening that I thought was right around the proverbial corner, but he has the skinny on OKC real estate.

Soonerus
12/27/2006, 11:18 PM
Anywhere in Norman is far superior than Edgemere in OKC...especially if you have or plan to have kids....

LilSooner
12/28/2006, 10:38 AM
Heritage Hills or Mesta Park.

Your welcome in advanced.

Although I do love our house in Norman, I LOVE those houses up there. I just wished the neighborhoods had been just a little bit better.

OUAndy1807
12/28/2006, 10:40 AM
Heritage Hills or Mesta Park.

Your welcome in advanced.

Although I do love our house in Norman, I LOVE those houses up there. I just wished the neighborhoods had been just a little bit better.

I really like those areas, but there is a lack of fixer-uppers now-a-days. Also, the nieghborhoods go from good to bad so quick.

Widescreen
12/28/2006, 10:45 AM
we're finally buying a house in the OKC area. Where would you guys live?
Tulsa.

Sooner_Havok
12/28/2006, 10:51 AM
I would have to say Norman. I live over in the Chautauqua Historic District, and there are quite a few older homes over here for sale. There is one right down the street from from me on Cruce that is really nice, if I get a yob in the OKC area after I gradumate, I hope to keep on living in norman.

Sooner_Havok
12/28/2006, 10:55 AM
Tulsa.

really?

http://toddstewart.net/images/Narrative2_006_jpg.jpg

OUAndy1807
12/28/2006, 10:57 AM
Tulsa.
I didn't ask where I should look for old oil refineries to live in.

StoopTroup
12/28/2006, 10:57 AM
Is that Bikerfox's boyfriend?

batonrougesooner
12/28/2006, 10:58 AM
Am I the only one who sees the humor and irony in "an older house we want to put some money into?" heh, get ready!

The area's just north of St. Anthony's hospital or the area off Classen between 30th and 50th or so would be good places to start. Sorry, can't remember the neighborhood names.

birddog
12/28/2006, 10:58 AM
2301 n. shartel, near mesta park. pamklepper.com.

saw it this weekend when i visited the folks. i still can't believe how cheap houses are there.

batonrougesooner
12/28/2006, 10:59 AM
2301 n. shartel, near mesta park. pamklepper.com.

saw it this weekend when i visited the folks. i still can't believe how cheap houses are there.

This is the area I mean when I say north of Saints.

OUAndy1807
12/28/2006, 11:09 AM
Am I the only one who sees the humor and irony in "an older house we want to put some money into?" heh, get ready!

The area's just north of St. Anthony's hospital or the area off Classen between 30th and 50th or so would be good places to start. Sorry, can't remember the neighborhood names.

I work in the construction industry, so the money I'll put in will be a fraction of what would be paid normally.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/28/2006, 12:36 PM
23rd and Kelley.

Guns up, beyonces!

Taxman71
12/28/2006, 02:08 PM
I moved from Edgemere Park to Norman with no regrets...at least now that I-35 is opened up. For kids, Norman is a no-brainer. No kids? Downtown OKC area is tough to beat. North Norman (east or west of I-35) makes an OKC drive very easy.

Edgemere still has some fixer-uppers in a decent price range but don't expect anyting over 1600 square feet unless you look to Mesta Park, Crown Heights or Heritage Hills, all of which are already heavily appreciated in value. You might consider Putnam Heights (west of Classen) for a good sized lot and house with relatively low FMV compared to the others named above. Further west towards OCU has nice-priced historic homes, but more ghetto areas surrounding you.

soonerbrat
12/28/2006, 02:11 PM
a friend of mine just bought a really cute house in Crown Heights...the neighborhood isn't too bad.

SoonerInKCMO
12/28/2006, 02:18 PM
I've always been partial to the Cleveland neighborhood north of 23rd between NW Classen and Shepherd Mal... err... office park.

sooneron
12/28/2006, 03:30 PM
Not taking schools into account is a little short-sighted as you may end up with a little bundle of joy unexpectedly or you will eventually want to actually SELL the house. Buying a house in a crap school district b/c you don't have kids will bite you in the *** later when you want to move, as you will lose about 2/3rds of prospective buyers on schools alone.

Taxman71
12/28/2006, 04:04 PM
Not taking schools into account is a little short-sighted as you may end up with a little bundle of joy unexpectedly or you will eventually want to actually SELL the house. Buying a house in a crap school district b/c you don't have kids will bite you in the *** later when you want to move, as you will lose about 2/3rds of prospective buyers on schools alone.

Yes, but any house in a decent historic neighborhood in OKC (Heritage Hills, Mesta, Edgemere, Crown Heights) is in high demand and should sell easily. Just too many people want to live close to downtown.

My house sold in 1 day after we had 4 couples ask to see it within 8 hours of putting the "For Sale By Owner" sign out. Didn't have to pay a realtor commission either. Thus, unless you have major repairs after your purchase, it is hard to lose money on those historic homes.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/28/2006, 04:47 PM
It's been a really long time for me, but is Bethany still a pretty nice (albeit older) area? I thought it used to be a pretty nice ranch-style community with mature trees, etc.

BigRedJed
12/28/2006, 07:24 PM
a friend of mine just bought a really cute house in Crown Heights...the neighborhood isn't too bad.
Heh. You think? It's only the highest price per square foot in all of Oklahoma City. That neighborhood not only "isn't too bad," it's about the only historic neighborhood in OKC that never GOT bad.

BigRedJed
12/28/2006, 07:32 PM
And Andy, I just bundled up and sent you a PM with everything that I sent to Rogue about historic neighborhoods in the Downtown/near-Northwest portions of OKC. Hope it helps.

Taxman71
12/29/2006, 09:16 AM
Heh. You think? It's only the highest price per square foot in all of Oklahoma City. That neighborhood not only "isn't too bad," it's about the only historic neighborhood in OKC that never GOT bad.

I think Nichols Hills still has it beat on $/square foot by quite a margin, but it is definitely up there. I don't think you get in a house in Nichols Hills for under $200/foot these days can you?