PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was an interesting Christmas Eve Service.

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 11:09 AM
Went to a Christmas Eve service in Durant, OK. This is a pretty big Church. I've never been there before, so I don't know if this was normal protocol.

If you were over the age of 5-7 and were paying attention, you knew that there is no Santa Clause. :eek:

I couldn't believe it. He beat around the bush, but pretty much let the cat out of the bag, on purpose.

He tied it to we should have a child like faith and we should believe in Christ like a kid believes in Santa Claus, because they both do/did impossible things.

Compared walking on water and raising the dead to "flying around the world...in one NIGHT!"

He also did a whole "skit/joke" about Santa getting a letter from the ACLU about being more PC, accusing him of being a "Ho-Ho-Homophone" and that his brother Bubba Claus would take care of Christmas. Redneck jokes followed.

I got what his overall message was, and it was good, but these few things really stood out as "Is he really saying this?"

P.S. This guy did not get the Preacher Memo that you keep the Christmas Eve servie short and sweet. I guess I'm just a big fan of the short message, religous christmas songs, and ending with a candle lit "Silent Night"

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 11:18 AM
we went to mass......and the priest, who was handling the overflow service, was in his late 60's......and "sang" this story about nestor the donkey

a sweet story but the priest's singing voice made it hysterical......the children up at the altar enjoyed it but most of the adults were hiding their laughter

yermom
12/27/2006, 11:18 AM
child-like, eh?

slickdawg
12/27/2006, 11:29 AM
That's one thing I miss from Mississippi, our church had a beautiful Christmas Eve service.

picasso
12/27/2006, 11:33 AM
My brother and I grew up Baptist and Charismatic but we've made it an annual thing to attend Catholic mass the last 7 or 8 years. didn't make it this time.

Sooner_Bob
12/27/2006, 11:33 AM
IMO sometimes preachers outsmart themselves and try to be too fancy with their message.

Widescreen
12/27/2006, 11:36 AM
we went to mass......and the priest, who was handling the overflow service, was in his late 60's......and "sang" this story about nestor the donkey

a sweet story but the priest's singing voice made it hysterical......the children up at the altar enjoyed it but most of the adults were hiding their laughter
You're serious? You mean the song from the TV show?

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 11:39 AM
This it?

http://www.indianchild.com/short_stories_for_children.htm

I would have died.

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 11:46 AM
yeah thats the one, he didnt sing it all though, just the "chorus"

problem was, he had a very high pitched moany voice.....just funny as hell

Osce0la
12/27/2006, 11:53 AM
If you were over the age of 5-7 and were paying attention, you knew that there is no Santa Clause. :eek:

Well, this alone is crap. There is a Santa Clause, if there wasn't, Tim Allen would've been out of work after Home Improvement went off the air.

Taxman71
12/27/2006, 02:25 PM
You serious Clark?

Pricetag
12/27/2006, 03:26 PM

This happened to us at a good friend's wedding. I had heard the Lord's Prayer recited at least a million times, but I had never heard it sung, and when the guy launched into it, I was caught off guard. I suspect his voice sounded pretty similar to what you're talking about, because my instinct was to laugh. Then I noticed my brother and the rest of our friends shaking as they struggled to stifle their laughter, and it made it that much worse. I actually started sweating I was working so hard to keep it under wraps.

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 05:47 PM
mrs jk is catholic and apparently they're lords prayer is a tad shorter than the one us methodists recite

so the first time we go to mass, we're all doing the lords prayer......they all stop, and i keep going for at least 5 or 6 words

greaaaaaaaaaaat

now she holds my hand and squeezes it when its time to stop

colleyvillesooner
12/27/2006, 05:51 PM
Just a heads up, it doesn't end "And the Home of the SOONERS!!!!!!"

Rogue
12/27/2006, 11:20 PM
I used to go to one of the spanish language masses in Texas. Didn't understand much but it was a beautiful service. I almost learned to sing the "Our Father" (Lord's Prayer to you protesters) en espanol.

SicEmBaylor
12/27/2006, 11:45 PM
It's not that I oppose religion, I just haven't really found a church that I'd ever like to attend. This church you went to in DOO-rant sure sounds like the kind of place I've done my best to avoid over the years.

I want something formal and staid.
I'd like a good sermon lasting no longer than 60 minutes with very little/no singing among the congregation.
I don't like the whole "hug your neighbor" business. I'd like my neighbors to keep their hands to themselves.