PDA

View Full Version : Military considering recruiting foriegners

royalfan5
12/26/2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/12/26/military_considers_recruiting_foreigners/

I have a hard time seeing that fly politically if turned into an issue by motivated parties.

as an aside, I have no issue with the policy, I was more interested in gaging responses to this policy

KABOOKIE
12/26/2006, 11:43 PM
Seems odd. I remember serving in the GWI with foriegners. Canadian, Italian and some dude from Kenya. But, I guess anything to get the "slant"

Frozen Sooner
12/26/2006, 11:45 PM
Foreign citizens serving in the US military is a highly charged issue, which could expose the Pentagon to criticism that it is essentially using mercenaries to defend the country.

Er, as opposed to what we're doing now?

Greenspan answered this one a long time ago.

batonrougesooner
12/27/2006, 12:14 AM
This is nothing new. The military has been allowing non-citizens to serve for decades with the understanding that their application for citizenship would be improved.

olevetonahill
12/27/2006, 12:21 AM
This is nothing new. The military has been allowing non-citizens to serve for decades with the understanding that their application for citizenship would be improved.
Yup My Dad was a Canadian Citizen , Got drafted in 43 , Naturalised in 43 went to the PTO in 44 .
a LOT of Americans went to England to enlist befor we got involved .
Non story to me .

Wishboned
12/27/2006, 12:30 AM
When I was in I served with Korean citizens, British citizens and Canadian citizens.

They were all good soldiers.

olevetonahill
12/27/2006, 12:40 AM
When I was in I served with Korean citizens, British citizens and Canadian citizens.

They were all good soldiers.
There Ya go .
Put On the Uniform , your Merican .

OklahomaTuba
12/27/2006, 12:40 AM
This has been a tradition of the US military since the 1770s. Fight for us, and you become one of us.

critical_phil
12/27/2006, 02:24 AM
half of the supply-types in the west coast navy is made up of Filipino nationals.

batonrougesooner
12/27/2006, 02:38 AM
half of the west coast navy is made up of Filipino nationals.

Fixed it for you.

Okla-homey
12/27/2006, 06:45 AM
It works for France. Heck, the only brigade in the entire Armee worth its croissants is the Foriegn Legion, and it's ranks are filled almost exclusively with non-Frenchmen.;)

Harry Beanbag
12/27/2006, 06:51 AM
half of the supply-types in the west coast navy is made up of Filipino nationals.

No kidding. Few things in life have infuriated me more than going to Personnel to get something taken care of and not being able to understand what United States Navy sailors are trying to say.

No, they weren't drunk, just couldn't speak English very well. ;)

olevetonahill
12/27/2006, 07:29 AM
One word !
Draft

Vaevictis
12/27/2006, 08:29 AM
It works for France. Heck, the only brigade in the entire Armee worth its croissants is the Foriegn Legion, and it's ranks are filled almost exclusively with non-Frenchmen.;)

Hell, technically speaking, Frenchmen aren't allowed. Says something about the French if their best brigade won't allow Frenchmen, right? ;)

Okla-homey
12/27/2006, 12:47 PM
Hell, technically speaking, Frenchmen aren't allowed. Says something about the French if their best brigade won't allow Frenchmen, right? ;)

I think it's officered by Frenchies...or at least used to be.

critical_phil
12/27/2006, 01:38 PM
i had the occasion to meet some legionnaires during some training in the philippines back in about 1992. there were two americans in the outfit who i got to know a little. interesting cats. one hated it, and couldn't wait to get out. the other one said he loved it because he was treated like a rock star anytime he went back to france. he said the money was good, too.

they were in the philippines on a **** hunting mission. seriously.