PDA

View Full Version : Here's to the best-traveling classiest fans in all of college football!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/26/2006, 05:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls06/news/story?id=2708826

Suck it, Cornholers!

Suck.

It.

SleestakSooner
12/26/2006, 06:05 PM
Updated: Dec. 26, 2006, 5:27 PM ET
Cotton Bowl ticket prices dropping

Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. -- Tickets for the AT&T Cotton Bowl are so cheap that a family of four could see the New Year's Day game between Nebraska and Auburn in Dallas for less than $100.
The lowest price found Tuesday, on StubHub.com, was $12 for a ticket with a face value of $90.
San Francisco-based StubHub is among the online marketplaces that bring together ticket buyers and sellers. Company spokesman Sean Pate said the so-called "secondary market" gives a true indication of how hot -- or cold -- a ticket is.
Typically, fans go to the secondary market for hard-to-get tickets -- and often pay significantly more than face value.
Buyers are getting the better end of the deal with the Cotton Bowl.
TicketsNow.com had $15 tickets, and several other online brokers had plenty listed for $20. Prime seats still go for several hundred dollars, but what surprises Pate is that it would cost fans very little to get a seat.
"Those tickets are dropping to unforeseen territory for a bowl game of that magnitude," Pate said.
Neither Nebraska nor Auburn had sold out its allotment of 12,500 tickets, all priced at $90. All but about 3,500 of the 68,252 Cotton Bowl stadium seats have a face value of $90.
Omaha-based Ticket Express is getting 10 calls from people trying to sell Cotton Bowl tickets for every one trying to buy, president Chad Carr said.
Carr, like others in the travel and ticket business, say fans aren't enamored with Dallas as a destination. Brokers say Nebraska fans are let down after the Huskers lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship game. Same goes for Auburn fans, who saw their Tigers' national championship hopes end with a November loss to Georgia.

The 10:38 a.m. kickoff time is also difficult to overcome, Carr said, as is the unpredictable January weather in Dallas.
At StubHub, the average price for a Cotton Bowl ticket is $90, with $406 the highest paid so far. Pate said he expects the average to fall as the game nears.
The average price is 19th among the 32 bowls and ranks behind games such as the Texas Bowl ($100), Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl ($116), Emerald Bowl ($125) and Alamo Bowl ($138).
The Tostitos BCS Championship Game, Pate said, is fetching an average of $1,400.
Jason Randall, CEO of Austin-based Coast to Coast Tickets, said he's not caught off-guard by the low Cotton Bowl ticket prices because the stadium is large and the matchup pits teams from distant places.
"When there's not a championship on the line, it makes it a lot harder to justify the travel expense," Randall said. "If [the University of Texas] were playing in the Cotton Bowl against an interesting opponent, maybe that would shake things up. As it is, this game isn't that big a deal."
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

MamaMia
12/26/2006, 06:06 PM
Maybe its just me, but it seems that saying "Suck it" while calling people "classless" is just wrong.

They are just bad supporters of their team. Callahan must be proud.

Texas Golfer
12/26/2006, 06:13 PM
Does anyone else think that this could come back to hurt them for future bowl considerations and invitations?

Blues1
12/26/2006, 06:14 PM
Yep - The Old Cotton Bowl is getting some bad rap....Sad to see what was once a Big Time Bowl now just a warm up to the Real Bowl games...
Should be a good game from a players stand point - but sure doesn't capture the imaganation of The College Football world....Too many Bowls....???
From my earlier thread today.....

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9891517

soonerboy_odanorth
12/26/2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe its just me, but it seems that saying "Suck it" while calling people "classless" is just wrong.

Mama,

On the contrary, I didn't say they were completely classless. Nor do I think they are.

But I am very sick and tired of the non-stop self-congratulation that goes on in the Husker camp about how well they travel, how classy they are, blah blah blah.....

And I don't mean anything profane by "suck it", either. But rather, I should have said, "Wallow in it; wallow in the mediocrity that defines the current state of Nebraska football."

royalfan5
12/26/2006, 06:29 PM
Damn it. I paid 20 for mine. Of course they are Auburn tickets but still.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/26/2006, 06:31 PM
Damn it. I paid 20 for mine. Of course they are Auburn tickets but still.

... ok now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are....

... and the pygmies in New Guinea...

...Amen...

MamaMia
12/26/2006, 06:46 PM
Mama,

On the contrary, I didn't say they were completely classless. Nor do I think they are.

But I am very sick and tired of the non-stop self-congratulation that goes on in the Husker camp about how well they travel, how classy they are, blah blah blah.....

And I don't mean anything profane by "suck it", either. But rather, I should have said, "Wallow in it; wallow in the mediocrity that defines the current state of Nebraska football."Oh, I see. :D

batonrougesooner
12/26/2006, 06:47 PM
It is the 10 a.m. kickoff that is killing this bowl.

Dio
12/26/2006, 06:53 PM

Werd.

Stitch Face
12/26/2006, 07:15 PM

They should call it the Cereal Bowl.

batonrougesooner
12/26/2006, 07:19 PM

The Cotton Bowl, brought to you by Kelloggs.

swardboy
12/26/2006, 07:58 PM

Ouch! You hit my funny bone!:D

85sooners
12/26/2006, 08:06 PM
cotton bowl seats suck!!!!!!

cvsooner
12/26/2006, 08:46 PM
Man, even the teams' fans don't want to go...that's pretty sad.

OUAndy1807
12/26/2006, 09:12 PM
Does anyone else think that this could come back to hurt them for future bowl considerations and invitations?
ya think?:rolleyes:

goingoneight
12/26/2006, 10:03 PM

New word: agonizing [ah-guh-ni-zeeng] n Turning a once great football program into a team nobody cares about who loses championships (if they ever get there).

:D New word, y'all... agonizing... :D

FaninAma
12/27/2006, 03:12 PM
"But the bowls are so great for the fans and they would be hurt by a playoff."

B S

This year's bowl matchups are nothing short of a craptastic snooze fest.

Is this really what the powers that be think college football fans want....meaningless game after meaningless game?

Larry&Leisa
12/27/2006, 03:22 PM
"But the bowls are so great for the fans and they would be hurt by a playoff."

B S

This year's bowl matchups are nothing short of a craptastic snooze fest.

Is this really what the powers that be think college football fans want....meaningless game after meaningless game?

not even close games!

tulsaoilerfan
12/27/2006, 08:51 PM
Well, it's a crap stadium in a crap part of Dallas with a crap kick off time; what the hell do they expect?

Sooner24
12/27/2006, 11:53 PM
Well, it's a crap stadium in a crap part of Dallas with a crap kick off time; what the hell do they expect?

Crap? :confused:

TheUnnamedSooner
12/28/2006, 12:58 AM
Suck it classless fans!

Groovie_Mann
12/28/2006, 01:19 AM
soonerboy that was THE funniest post ever. Especially the Suck...... It.... part. Seriously man that was hilarious. And no kidding ya get SICK of hearing all that we are so classy, we travel so well crap....Rock on brother!!!