PDA

View Full Version : Glad we didn't Get Cotton Bowl because..

Blues1
12/26/2006, 03:46 PM
From CBS Sports....

In the era of the Bowl Championship Series, the 71-year-old Cotton is regarded as a second-tier bowl. But officials with the tradition-rich game are studying ways to get into the BCS mix when the series' contract expires in 2010.

"It used to carry a lot more significance when there were just a couple Jan. 1 games," Todd said. "Now that there are so many games Jan. 1 and later, the day itself isn't significant. But the bowl game is significant. The Cotton Bowl is a great game to go to, and we're excited about it."

Link...http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9891517

Have Fun Huskers..... :( --- :)

soonerspudman
12/27/2006, 11:57 AM
It only used to be big because Tejas was always a top-ranked team after blowing through the old SWC fish-fodder of a schedule. Really, Cotton Bowl is a great site for the R3 in the fall during the fair, but how can that dump ever compete in January with places like Miami, NO, Phoenix... Dallas should be happy they can even draw teams like Auburn and Nebn'er.

Blitzkrieg
12/27/2006, 12:01 PM
Remember the ncaa having to put it the "no taunting" rule after Miami de-pants Texas on national TV in the CB?

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/27/2006, 12:01 PM
We woulda got beat anyway.

TexasLidig8r
12/27/2006, 12:13 PM
It only used to be big because Tejas was always a top-ranked team after blowing through the old SWC fish-fodder of a schedule. Really, Cotton Bowl is a great site for the R3 in the fall during the fair, but how can that dump ever compete in January with places like Miami, NO, Phoenix... Dallas should be happy they can even draw teams like Auburn and Nebn'er.

Pulleezee.. New Orleans is and always has been a dump.. here. drink cheap liquor and throw up in the street then go to that rathole, the once great, "Superdome."

Afraid Jerry and Jerry's World will become major players when the BCS contract is up in 2010...

The Orange Bowl has moved.
The Sugar Bowl used to be played at Tulane Stadium.

Hello Cotton Bowl at Jerry's World.

King Crimson
12/27/2006, 12:18 PM
there was a reason the Cotton Bowl in it's "hey day" was the first new years day bowl game at 10 AM CST. no one cared. it rarely mattered in the national scene.

soonerspudman
12/27/2006, 12:25 PM
Pulleezee.. New Orleans is and always has been a dump.. here. drink cheap liquor and throw up in the street then go to that rathole, the once great, "Superdome."

Afraid Jerry and Jerry's World will become major players when the BCS contract is up in 2010...

The Orange Bowl has moved.
The Sugar Bowl used to be played at Tulane Stadium.

Hello Cotton Bowl at Jerry's World.

Beg to differ here, the reason ticket sales are lagging has much less to do with the teams, which is actually a decent matchup, and mostly to do with the location. Put these same two teams in NO and ticket demand probably doubles. Even hardcore Nebulons would rather spend new years day in Omaha than the blighted ghettos of the forgotton Dallas underbelly, who could blame them. Sure moving to Arlington would help, but a first-tier BCS location? Meh. Dallas should continue focusing on things like fertilizer conventions...

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/27/2006, 12:25 PM
#1-EHF:
Isn't this getting tedious for you?
No. Why would it? I'm just being honest. Auburn would run all over us!

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 12:28 PM
the omaha paper headline states "dump awaits huskers"

true, the cotton bowl is a dump

fadada1
12/27/2006, 12:41 PM
there was a reason the Cotton Bowl in it's "hey day" was the first new years day bowl game at 10 AM CST. no one cared. it rarely mattered in the national scene.
because it rarely came down to a SWC team playing for a national championship.

OSUAggie
12/27/2006, 12:48 PM
Yankee Stadium is a "dump" too. So what. Old stadiums are what they are. I would rather watch a game @ Yankee Stadium than Ameriquest Field just like I would rather watch a game at the Cotton Bowl than I would at Reliant Stadium. Historic stadiums, I believe, are better venues for big games.

Big Red Ron
12/27/2006, 12:51 PM
Yankee Stadium is a "dump" too. So what. Old stadiums are what they are. I would rather watch a game @ Yankee Stadium than Ameriquest Field just like I would rather watch a game at the Cotton Bowl than I would at Reliant Stadium. Historic stadiums, I believe, are better venues for big games.I bet you're all bummed out about Boone Pickens messin with your dump in Stoolwater then.

sooner_born_1960
12/27/2006, 01:02 PM
"Historic Lewis Field" has a nice ring to it.

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 01:17 PM
they're building a new yankee stadium btw

yermom
12/27/2006, 01:28 PM
i'm glad we aren't playing there because that would mean we didn't win the Big 12

it wouldn't bother me if the Bowl Game moved to Arlington, just leave OU/TX alone ;)

TexasLidig8r
12/27/2006, 01:55 PM
it wouldn't bother me if the Bowl Game moved to Arlington, just leave TX/OU alone ;)

Agreed.. ... and fixed.

Big Red Ron
12/27/2006, 02:13 PM
TX football < OK Football + OK alphabetically precedes TX = OU v TX

OSUAggie
12/27/2006, 03:12 PM
I bet you're all bummed out about Boone Pickens messin with your dump in Stoolwater then.

Lewis Field doesn't pertain to the statement because there is little to no history there. The Cotton Bowl, on the other hand, has a ton of college football history. I don't mind overhauling venerable old stadiums/arenas (Solider Field, Gallagher, whatever), as long as the sense of history remains intact.

jk the sooner fan
12/27/2006, 03:14 PM
Lewis Field doesn't pertain to the statement because there is little to no history there.

that is not true, we've beaten your *** there plenty of times ;)

OSUAggie
12/27/2006, 03:17 PM
Who hasn't?

mrowl
12/27/2006, 03:19 PM
after seeing the plans for Jerry World, I would love for OU-TX game to move there.

If its the fair you want, go to six flags.
If its the cattle, sheep you want, pick any field on the drive.
If its the corny dogs you want, setup a corny dog stand in the parking lot.

and I am sick of hearing about the Cotton Bowls history here from the sports-talk in DFW. You had some SMU games, and some SWC game, so what??? They didn't decide jack.

Big Red Ron
12/27/2006, 03:22 PM
Lewis Field doesn't pertain to the statement because there is little to no history there. The Cotton Bowl, on the other hand, has a ton of college football history. I don't mind overhauling venerable old stadiums/arenas (Solider Field, Gallagher, whatever), as long as the sense of history remains intact.Ooh, ooh, like when ya'll "Bottled up" the spirit of the old Gallager Iba and went on to get your asses handed to you by Nolan Johnson and the Sooners.

Seeing Gottlieb crying after the game was priceless.

Edmond Sooner
12/27/2006, 05:05 PM
Historic teams, I believe, are better venues for big games.

There, I fixed it for yah.

BudSooner
12/27/2006, 05:54 PM
Yankee Stadium is a "dump" too. So what. Old stadiums are what they are. I would rather watch a game @ Yankee Stadium than Ameriquest Field just like I would rather watch a game at the Cotton Bowl than I would at Reliant Stadium. Historic stadiums, I believe, are better venues for big games.
I'm going to dig up Babe Ruth and jump start him just so he can kick you in the junk for that comment.

If you had said Shea stadium, then you would be spot on correct.

utex74
12/27/2006, 10:43 PM
because it rarely came down to a SWC team playing for a national championship.

Stating off the bat that I do not like the Cotton Bowl, however there were a few years where the national championship was decided there. Just in my memory are 1964 (1963 season), 1970, 1971, 1978, 1984 (all for the prior year's season). Falls down a lot after that until the Big 12 in 1996, but deciding five titles that I can remember in 19 years seems like its fair share for a dump.

And I do remember 1991 and Miami. They and Notre Dame are on a short list of paybacks we owe. Funny thing is....Iowa is also on that list. We'll see.
(just so you won't feel slighted, OU is a permanent member of the "list") ;)