PDA

View Full Version : The end all chicken fried steak thread

Petro-Sooner
12/26/2006, 10:57 AM
family had enough of all the turkey and what not for Christmas and we did the chicken fried steak and fixings. Let it be now know that my aunt makes the VERY best!!! Dad surprised me by saying he thinks that was the best Chirstmas dinner we've had on moms side of the family. I watched her make it and will attempt to duplicate it this evening.

That is all.

william_brasky
12/26/2006, 12:04 PM
Loves me some CFS.

BajaOklahoma
12/26/2006, 12:40 PM
Recipe please.

Petro-Sooner
12/26/2006, 12:51 PM
Nothing special. few eggs and milk for the batter. Finely crumbled up saltines. The meat was really tenderized well. Season meat to your likeing. Dip the meat into the batter then the crackers. Making sure meat is thourghly covered with crackers. Put onto a hot oiled skillet Maybe it was the meat itself that made it better than what mom always did. She goes to a butcher and not Wal-Mart. I dont know, maybe thats it. Let me tell you though. It was goods eats!

King Crimson
12/26/2006, 12:53 PM
my mom's used to be pretty darned good. she used to season the tenderized meat a wee squeeze of lemon (citrus is a powerful tenderizer). and spice the flour/breading mix with Canvenders seasoning and a ton of black pepper.

King Crimson
12/26/2006, 12:54 PM
She goes to a butcher and not Wal-Mart. I dont know, maybe thats it.

touchdown!, Petro-Sooner. :D

StoopTroup
12/26/2006, 12:57 PM
For a Feliz Navidad Christmas Dinner like the one we had yesterday...

My BIL made taco shells in corn oil in a pan and then folded them in half...

We had some spicy cheese enchiladas and some Chicken Enchiladas...

Fresh guacamole, Rotel / Velveeta Crock pot cheese, Fresh tomatos and lettuce and a bucket of freshly grated cheese for the tacos...

I had a 2 hour seista after that too....:D

crawfish
12/26/2006, 12:58 PM
What time should we come over? :D

Petro-Sooner
12/26/2006, 01:01 PM
No joke!!

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2006, 01:55 PM
CFS is pretty good. You know the crumb scrapings you get from the bottom of the pan? I love to eat that as a side dish.

GottaHavePride
12/26/2006, 02:27 PM
CFS is pretty good. You know the crumb scrapings you get from the bottom of the pan? I love to eat that as a side dish.

Dammit, that's what you make the gravy out of! You take those out of the pan and all you have is flour sauce.

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2006, 02:28 PM
Dammit, that's what you make the gravy out of! You take those out of the pan and all you have is flour sauce.

I don't like gravy though.

Petro-Sooner
12/26/2006, 02:29 PM

:confused: I dont get it........

GottaHavePride
12/26/2006, 02:33 PM
Wha.. the.... huh?

Then you're not eating chicken-fried steak. You're eating breaded meat.

Edit: and no wonder you don't like gravy, if you take all the stuff that tastes good out before you make the gravy. I don't like flour paste either.

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2006, 02:35 PM
Wha.. the.... huh?

Then you're not eating chicken-fried steak. You're eating breaded meat.

Edit: and no wonder you don't like gravy, if you take all the stuff that tastes good out before you make the gravy. I don't like flour paste either.

I used to sorta like brown gravy, but you use that stuff to make white gravy not brown right?

GottaHavePride
12/26/2006, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty sure my mom uses it for brown gravy, too - that's where all the flavor is. Difference is you don't use cream (or milk) in brown gravy.

However, brown gravy doesn't go on CFS either.

soonerboomer93
12/26/2006, 03:59 PM

wow, i'm shocked

:confused:

SoonerInKCMO
12/26/2006, 04:39 PM

If I were the praying type, I'd pray for you.

SoonerJack
12/26/2006, 04:40 PM
Sicem, either you grew up in a gravy-deprived family or are a victim of packet gravy. You need to get some counseling and get it fast. Cream gravy (that's the white kind, usually accompanied by fried chicken, chicken fried steak, or fried porkchops) is one of those delicacies that God allowed on earth to give us a little taste of heaven. Chicken fried steak is the other. Keep in mind this is not a knock on brown gravy. That's stuff's good too, but it's like a step-child to white gravy.

GottaHavePride
12/26/2006, 04:43 PM
Sicem, either you grew up in a gravy-deprived family or are a victim of packet gravy. You need to get some counseling and get it fast. Cream gravy (that's the white kind, usually accompanied by fried chicken, chicken fried steak, or fried porkchops, or with a breakfast consisting of eggs, biscuits, bacon, sausage - multiple types of sausage is a bonus, hashbrowns, possibly ham...) is one of those delicacies that God allowed on earth to give us a little taste of heaven. Chicken fried steak is the other. Keep in mind this is not a knock on brown gravy. That's stuff's good too, but it's like a step-child to white gravy.

fixed.

mikeelikee
12/26/2006, 05:47 PM
The best place to get chicken-fried steak in Tulsa, Nelson's Buffeteria, closed a couple of years ago. My son and I still miss it. :(

Mixer!
12/26/2006, 08:41 PM
:dean: WHAT?!? :dean:

King Crimson
12/26/2006, 09:05 PM
there isn't good (non deep fried) CFS in the Denver area, i'm convinced of it. there's apparently a breakfast/lunch place in one of the suburbs owned by Oklahomans....that's the real deal. but, i don't trust the guy who told me about it.

ouwasp
12/27/2006, 02:33 AM
Del Rancho's in Tahlequah. Terrific.

But, ya gotta have white gravy. In abundance. AND Tabasco Sauce.

Yes. :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/29/2006, 12:51 PM
Well, how did your CFS turn out?

I've never put saltines in mine. May have to try that sometime.

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2006, 12:57 PM
Got to drinking too much beer and never got around to it. :D

hookem31
12/29/2006, 01:49 PM

I'm speechless. :eek:

Rocket Cafe, near Red Oak TX, is my favorite.

william_brasky
12/29/2006, 02:56 PM
Got to drinking too much beer and never got around to it. :D

story of my life.

SoonerJack
12/29/2006, 03:06 PM
Del Rancho's in Tahlequah. Terrific.

But, ya gotta have white gravy. In abundance. AND Worcestershire Sauce.

Yes. :)

fixed

Petro-Sooner
12/29/2006, 03:15 PM
The tahlequah taco at Del Rancho is good stuff.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2006, 04:49 PM
The Tahlequah Del Rancho is just the schizznit. Period.
That's some good eating.

soonerinabilene
12/29/2006, 05:30 PM
was in santa fe a few years ago with my church. went to lubys,(the succ) ordered a cfs, they handed me my plate. i stared at them. they stared at me. i stared at my plate, then back at them. said very calmly, may i please have some gravy on this? they looked at me like i had just said the most disgusting thing in the world and said, "are you serious? you put gravy on a chicken fried steak?" i vowed never to return to that hippie town for as long as i live.

SOONERKAT
12/29/2006, 06:39 PM
"Cream gravy (that's the white kind, usually accompanied by fried chicken, chicken fried steak, or fried porkchops) is one of those delicacies that God allowed on earth to give us a little taste of heaven. Chicken fried steak is the other." - SoonerJack

That's signature material right there.

Hickory Hoolow in Houston makes a mean one. The steak, just the steak, is served on it's own platter with the sides on a separate plate, and with a bowl a cream gravy on the side. The good chunky kind.

Now that dinner for tonight has been decied, ya'll have a good weekend!

King Crimson
12/29/2006, 06:42 PM
was in santa fe a few years ago with my church. went to lubys,(the succ) ordered a cfs, they handed me my plate. i stared at them. they stared at me. i stared at my plate, then back at them. said very calmly, may i please have some gravy on this? they looked at me like i had just said the most disgusting thing in the world and said, "are you serious? you put gravy on a chicken fried steak?" i vowed never to return to that hippie town for as long as i live.

i used to laugh my *** off whenever Applebee's and other interstate places used to advertise CFS and there would be eensy weensy half-dollar sized dollop of gravy neatly configured in the middle of the CFS. c'mon?