PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes As Christmas Gift

SoonerInKCMO
12/25/2006, 11:41 PM
Do other hillbilly families do this? Several of the peeps at last night's gathering at my aunt's house received wrapped cartons of cigarettes as Christmas gifts. All of 'em were pretty damn excited about it too. Does y'all's families do that too? Or is my family uniquely redneck/hillbilly/ghetto?

SicEmBaylor
12/25/2006, 11:44 PM
I got cigars. Not cigs but it's a tobacco product.

SoonerInKCMO
12/25/2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, but a nice box of fine cigars has a different cachet than a carton of Kool menthols.

Heh. At least no one got generics.

SoonerInKCMO
12/25/2006, 11:50 PM
Somewhat ironically, one of my cousins who was a proud recipient of a carton of smoke recently lost his job at the local Philips 66 for stealing cigarettes.

I should have titled this thread "My Family Is More Ghetto Than Yours".

royalfan5
12/25/2006, 11:52 PM
We've had rolls of chew given before, as well as booze and tons of different food products.

royalfan5
12/25/2006, 11:53 PM
Somewhat ironically, one of my cousins who was a proud recipient of a carton of smoke recently lost his job at the local Philips 66 for stealing cigarettes.

I should have titled this thread "My Family Is More Ghetto Than Yours".
Has interfamily arson ruined one of your christmases? It has mine.

SoonerInKCMO
12/25/2006, 11:57 PM

Dayum... naw, we haven't gone that far yet.

I think you have the lead as of now. :texan:

King Crimson
12/25/2006, 11:58 PM

inter-family, or intra-family? :texan:

royalfan5
12/25/2006, 11:58 PM
Dayum... naw, we haven't gone that far yet.

I think you have the lead as of now. :texan:
we had a multi-person brawl one year too. I'm not that keen on Christmas.

OKLA21FAN
12/26/2006, 12:20 AM
Do other hillbilly families do this? Several of the peeps at last night's gathering at my aunt's house received wrapped cartons of cigarettes as Christmas gifts. All of 'em were pretty damn excited about it too. Does y'all's families do that too? Or is my family uniquely redneck/hillbilly/ghetto?

"You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner Fing year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." Alright?"
http://www.homevideos.com/freeseframes-1026/BreakfastClub37.jpeg

royalfan5
12/26/2006, 12:30 AM
inter-family, or intra-family? :texan:
intra, sorry. I spent all day with them. It affects me.

OUAndy1807
12/26/2006, 12:32 AM
for the first time this year I was pretty uncomfortable around one side of my family due to racial slurs being thrown around, and I'm not particularly sensitive to that sort of thing.

85Sooner
12/26/2006, 12:54 AM
hey, It Christmas, who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they like it then it made them happy. Isn't what its all about. My son was upset santa didn't bring anything for me. Really upset. I explained that Santa did bring me something . It wasn't a toy or anything like that. It was the smiles on my families face this morning. What better gift to have.

soonerspiff
12/26/2006, 02:23 AM
I explained that Santa did bring me something . It wasn't a toy or anything like that. It was the smiles on my families face this morning. What better gift to have.

Yeah, that or lung cancer.

Either/or.

Blue
12/26/2006, 02:32 AM
Yes. Most definitely white trash.

...but atleast they care...

Okla-homey
12/26/2006, 07:34 AM
This reminds me of something from childhood. The ol'man smoked like a flippin' chimney. He used to keep the carton on top of the fridge. Anyhoo, at Christmas, the brand he smoked ("Winston," occasionally "Salem") had a special carton design at Christmas. Red bow design, with a "to/from" tag printed right on the carton for easy gift-giving. :D

He's 70 and still smokes...he's too mean for cancer.

VeeJay
12/26/2006, 09:18 AM
As a kid, we spent our Christmases sometimes at my grandparents' in Tupelo, MS. My uncle and aunt and cousin would go too. My parents and my uncle and aunt made a pact that they would only buy for the kids, and not each other.

We got to Tupelo and everyone put presents under the tree. My mom spotted presents for them from my uncle and aunt, and we had a crisis. So my mom takes me and my sister emergency Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve afternoon. I don't remember what she bought for my aunt, but my uncle got a carton of Winstons.

TexasLidig8r
12/26/2006, 10:29 AM
Wow... just.. wow..

Of course in Texas as of January 1, it gets a LOT more expensive to smoke...

Cigarette tax per pack going up by about a DOLLAR PER PACK!

Okla-homey
12/26/2006, 10:45 AM
Wow... just.. wow..

Of course in Texas as of January 1, it gets a LOT more expensive to smoke...

Cigarette tax per pack going up by about a DOLLAR PER PACK!

That's okay, the tribal smoke shops in OK will benefit imeasurably by TX's increased taxes on ciggies.;)

SoonerInKCMO
12/26/2006, 11:31 AM
hey, It Christmas, who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps the non-smoking part of the family that doesn't want to see them end up like gramps who spent the last three years of his life stuck in bed strapped to an oxygen tank while he slowly and painfully died from emphysema are the ones who care. Many of the folks trading smokes were the same tardbillies who helped care for him those final years and, after his funeral, had granny's house choked with ciggy smoke within five minutes of arriving.

StoopTroup
12/26/2006, 11:37 AM
I heard that smoking is bad for you...

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2006, 02:07 PM
My Bostonian friend used to smoke a pack of Marlboro Reds a day. A woman at the convenient store looked at him one day and said "those will kill you" and he says, "any pu$$y can quit cigs; it takes a real man to die of lung cancer!":rolleyes:

And he probably will....

RacerX
12/26/2006, 02:17 PM

You should see the packaging in Canada.

VeeJay
12/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Booze is a much classier gift to give for Christmas.

SicEmBaylor
12/26/2006, 02:32 PM
Booze is a much classier gift to give for Christmas.
My parents gave me a basket of assorted booze one year (I believe it was Xmas of '02) for Christmas along with a card and inside were reservations to the Doubletree for New Years Eve for my girlfriend and I. And before anyone says anything, yes she went with me. :P

85Sooner
12/26/2006, 02:43 PM

So is driving, drinking, eating too much, etc....... live and let live or we will come arter you next. We all have our vices.

BudSooner
12/26/2006, 06:21 PM
So is driving, drinking, eating too much, etc....... live and let live or we will come arter you next. We all have our vices.

Yeah, here's mine.
http://www.blackjacktools.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/vices-018.jpg
But that's probably a bad thing too huh?:D

BigRedJed
12/26/2006, 07:13 PM
royalfan's family gives rolls of chew for Christmas and we're the ****ing hillbilies?

royalfan5
12/26/2006, 07:17 PM
royalfan's family gives rolls of chew for Christmas and we're the ****ing hillbilies?
Smoking's too high class for us. Only Skoal Fine Cut. And I'm pretty sure my family can outhillbilly 95% of the other posters here.