PDA

View Full Version : www.soonerfans.com BCS playoff ideas...

goingoneight
12/25/2006, 02:20 AM
While I feel the current system does better than the ol' fashioned "claim an MNC from Sports Illustrated..." I still feel, like many of you, that if teams squared off in death-matches, the "greatest team EVAR" probably would never make it to the Title game. The system as we all know it could use a little tweaking.

Tweaking meaning that as long as USC and Neuter Dame are ranked, they'll get polished off by the media, we cannot ever change this.

Post your playoff system ideas if you have them. Or if you have a better idea, put it up as well.

goingoneight's philosophy:

Preseason magazines are for nothing but fun. I've bought them, you've bought them, hell... Stoops might have bought one before. Paper governs nothing in such a physical, raw and emotional sport. So if Athlon Sports says USC will reload fine without two Heisman winners returning, don't go voting them into the title game at 10-2.

Spring football game mean nothing, they are a celebration of fans and traditions, and a chance for players and coaches to suit up and knock the rust off. So if Texas offense scores 77 points on their defense, don't go predicting a Heisman trophy for whoever is under center (duh, defense!).

No sir, nothing the media produces governs who does or does not play in the National Champeenship.

The Bowl Championship Series was "invented" on the grounds that it would measure strength of schedule, stats, performance, and tak into consideration the unity and condition of a team by the poll's voters. Unfortunately, whoever is winning often takes cake they don't deserve.

This is why I say we delete the obligatory Non-Conference matchups so many teams like aTm and OSU frequently schedule to pound up stats. When an option quarterback like Stephen McGee is hyped for going several games without an interception, it is usually bogus for the obvious reasons, he throws ten or less times per game, and high school opponents' defensive schemes shouldn't count. Vince Young versus Florida Atlantic is just mean, no matter who is coaching (cough! Schnellenboozer! cough!).

The question is, who gets into the "playoff system." Is it fair to put a team in that is 9-3, but has lost to it's only three worthy opponents? Is it fair to put someone into the playoff who is riding the coattails of another great team from years past? See: Oklahoma 2005, See: Miami post 2002, See: USC 2006.

In college football you have conference champions. Duh, right? Being fair to the little guys, and (gag!!!) the independent schools, 12 parties are listed on FOX SPORTS BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES WEBSITE. The BCS normally doesn't put in "non BCS conferences," but we all know a coach like Steve Kragthorpe is capable of knocking off a big-time like OU, he damn-near did it in Norman. So being fair to the little guys and independents, let all 12 parties in on the "Bowl Championship Series..."

If you have 12 teams, examples...

USC = PAC 10 represenative
Ohio State = BIG 10/11 represenative
Oklahoma = BIG 12 represenative
Wake Forest = ACC represenative
Louisville = Big East represenative
Houston = C-USA represenative
BYU = MWC represenative
Florida = SEC represenative
Notre Dame = exhibition gamer represenative
Ohio = MAC represenative
Troy = Sun-Belt represenative
BSU = WAC represenative

I think we all realize after the Middle Tennessee game this year what happens most of the time you put a power program up against a "little guy." This is how you govern your "rankings."

From there on out, it is a matter of who wants to join what side of the playoff, North/South, East/West, whatever... let the money makers figure that one out...

In this system, OU could play eleven regular season games, all six north opponents, all five south opponents. OU/Cornbraska returns alongside OU/Tejas, and Okie Light dissipates from an hint of "rivalry" as most traditionalists, like myself have wanted for years.

I'm firm in my belief that we'd have beaten the other three North Division teams like a orange-blooded little brother in 2006, so that's that. You even get another shot in the conference title should someone sneak up and bite you ala OU/Nebraska 2001...

IMHO, the only fear of putting in a playoff system is the fear that the traditional powers would take over the college footballl world. I ask you folks, since the start of the BCS, the National Championship game has featured OU, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State, USC, Texas and Ohio State... hasn't this already happened? When was the last aggy annointed the Heisman trophy? When was the last time a Middle Tech A&M coach held up a BCS crystal ball?

Call me whatever you want, but in this "system," though I don't have a playoff mapped out, I still feel Ohio State and either Florida, SUC or OU make the National Championship game. Mainly because I don't see the Rutgers of the world beating the Texas Longhorns of the world anytime soon. Although the thought crossed my mind and made me chuckle just a little bit.

And if you're wondering why I typed this up... It's Christmas morning and I'm working on the X-mas bird until 7:00 when mama takes over. :D Merry Christmas and I look forward to reading or seeing your "systems" like my own.

soonermeteor
12/25/2006, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't take any from the fluff conferences. 8 game playoff with the 6 division champs, 2 at large bids and no, absolutely no "contract obligation" to put Notre Dame in.

goingoneight
12/25/2006, 02:34 AM
You know, however, that telling Notre Dame no is like telling a little kid no in a candy store. A blood-curdling scream and a lawsuit from those who hear your uttered words soon follow. Hell, just put domer in the playoff by default and see how many years they get knocked out of it, now that's funny. But totally a joke, man! :D

goingoneight
1/10/2007, 01:13 AM
bump-a-demp

Vaevictis
1/10/2007, 01:28 AM
Each member conference selects N representatives, where N is a number determined by the size of the playoff you want. N is probably 1.

If this results in a non-power-of-two number of slots, fill out the remaining slots by assigning additional slots to the conferences with the most wins against other member conference teams. (ie, let's reward conferences with teams that play non-conference games against other major conference teams).

If you're not a member of a major conference, either join one or suck it.

FrostySooner
1/10/2007, 01:29 AM
I say a 16 team playoff at the end of the year. Start the season a week earlier and cut the schedules down to ONLY 11 games. Force ALL Conferences to have Conference Championship games.

I say keep the BCS Ranking system in tact, but get rid of the pre-season poll. Let these polls be just what one man thinks. Everybody starts at 0-0 with no number in front of them and let them battle it out for 8 weeks. After week 8, come out with the first rankings and whoever ends up in the top 16 goes to the NCAA playoffs.

Even though most people hate the computers picking the best teams, the truth is that this is the only way to keep bias out of it. Use strenghth of schedule, RPI rankings, and other computer rankings to determine the teams. I almost guarantee that the top 16 would come from the top tier conferences almost every year.

The teams ranked from 17 to 119 could then play in bowl games, but not be eligible for the NC. The first and second round games would be hosted by the highest ranked teams. Then, when we get to the final four, use the same philosophy as the NFL. Make the stadium owners fight it out to see where these games are played. The stadium with the highest bid wins it.

tommieharris91
1/10/2007, 01:44 AM
Any playoff scenario where top-rated teams get some sort of home playoff game would be cool with me, but if that happens, there needs to be at least 8 teams in it.

Harry Beanbag
1/10/2007, 06:32 AM
Anything more than 8 teams is way too much. Most years 4 is plenty.

BIG_IKE
1/10/2007, 07:13 AM
1) Force Notre Dame into the Big 10 or Big East
2) Let Conferences decide their champ however they want to
3) 6 BCS Conference Champs receive automatic bids
4) 11 Game season without BYE weeks so the season ends in mid November.
5) Conference Championships Thanksgiving Weekend (Sorry Texas/A&M)

1st week of December

Wild Card Games between 4 highest rated Champs of the 5 Non BCS conferences
Boise St ..vs. Troy
BYU vs. Houston

2nd Week of December
Florida vs. Wake Forest
Houstonvs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. Louisville
Boise State vs. USC

3rd Week of December
Florida vs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. USC

BCS Bowl Bids go out immediately following semi-final games, BCS rules will prevent teams that played in the playoffs from having a rematch in the bowl games.

The Championship game will be played January 8th. All other bowls will go as they normally do. This gives the good teams less time off, but enough time off. The season is just like it normally is excpet we could be 15-0 National Champs...high school teams gotta win more games than that to be undefeated champs.

Sooner Among The Pack
1/10/2007, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't take any from the fluff conferences. 8 game playoff with the 6 division champs, 2 at large bids and no, absolutely no "contract obligation" to put Notre Dame in.

I think the structure is the most feasible, expect you almost have to include some sort of clause for non-BCS schools and Notre Dame.

Take the six conference champions and seed them based on BCS rankings and allow two at large bids. In this format, however, I think you require the Pac-10, Big-10, and Big East to have conference championship games. The requirement for a non-BCS school to make the playoff as one of the "at large" bids is to finish in the Top 8 of the BCS standings. The requirement for Notre Dame is they finish in the Top 8 of the BCS standings. If neither of these possibilities occur, non-conference champions may claim the at-large spots.

Play the quarterfinals the weekend before/of Christmas (this year, Dec. 23-24), the semifinals New Years' Weekend (Dec 31-Jan 1), and have the championship game one week later. I'm not sure you could convince those in power to travel three weeks in a row for neutral site games. The quarterfinal games will need to be home games for the 1-4 seeds, but maybe we can have "sponsors" so people make money. The semifinals and championship game would take place with the current BCS bowl system with some sort of rotation for the championship game.

This year, Boise State would claim one at-large spot and Notre Dame wouldn't qualify. We'll assume Ohio State wins the Big-10 title game, SUC wins the Pac-10 title game, and Louisville wins the Big East title game for arguments sake. Thus, LSU would jump ahead of Michigan and get the last at-large bid, leaving three Top-10 BCS ranked teams out (Michigan, Wisconsin, and Auburn).

Quarterfinals:

#8 Wake Forest (ACC Champion, BCS Rank 14) @
#1 Ohio State (Big-10 Champion, BCS Rank 1)

#5 Louisville (Big East Champion, BCS Rank 6) @
#4 USC (Pac-10 Champion, BCS Rank 5)

#6 Boise State (At Large, BCS Rank 8) @
#3 LSU (At Large, BCS Rank 4)

#7 Oklahoma (Big XII Champion, BCS Rank 10) @
#2 Florida (SEC Champion, BCS Rank 2)

"Likely" Semifinals (Based off of Bowl Results)

#4 USC vs. #1 Ohio State
#3 LSU vs. #2 Florida

BCS Title Game

#4 USC vs. #2 Florida

Those are four really interesting Quarterfinal games. Tough break for OU having to go @ Florida...that would be a tough one to win. In this format, Boise State would have a crack at beating LSU in Death Valley, and assuming they pulled some voodoo magic, it could be interesting. I think SUC and Ohio State could handle L'ville and Wake respectively.

In the semifinal games, LSU would have its rematch with Florida (that would be a helluva game). Assuming Ohio State looked as bad as it did on Monday night, SUC could advance as the #4 seed and take on the Florida/LSU winner for the national championship.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 09:07 AM
I think the structure is the most feasible, expect you almost have to include some sort of clause for non-BCS schools and Notre Dame.

Take the six conference champions and seed them based on BCS rankings and allow two at large bids. In this format, however, I think you require the Pac-10, Big-10, and Big East to have conference championship games. The requirement for a non-BCS school to make the playoff as one of the "at large" bids is to finish in the Top 8 of the BCS standings. The requirement for Notre Dame is they finish in the Top 8 of the BCS standings. If neither of these possibilities occur, non-conference champions may claim the at-large spots.

Play the quarterfinals the weekend before/of Christmas (this year, Dec. 23-24), the semifinals New Years' Weekend (Dec 31-Jan 1), and have the championship game one week later. I'm not sure you could convince those in power to travel three weeks in a row for neutral site games. The quarterfinal games will need to be home games for the 1-4 seeds, but maybe we can have "sponsors" so people make money. The semifinals and championship game would take place with the current BCS bowl system with some sort of rotation for the championship game.

This year, Boise State would claim one at-large spot and Notre Dame wouldn't qualify. We'll assume Ohio State wins the Big-10 title game, SUC wins the Pac-10 title game, and Louisville wins the Big East title game for arguments sake. Thus, LSU would jump ahead of Michigan and get the last at-large bid, leaving three Top-10 BCS ranked teams out (Michigan, Wisconsin, and Auburn).

Quarterfinals:

#8 Wake Forest (ACC Champion, BCS Rank 14) @
#1 Ohio State (Big-10 Champion, BCS Rank 1)

#5 Louisville (Big East Champion, BCS Rank 6) @
#4 USC (Pac-10 Champion, BCS Rank 5)

#6 Boise State (At Large, BCS Rank 8) @
#3 LSU (At Large, BCS Rank 4)

#7 Oklahoma (Big XII Champion, BCS Rank 10) @
#2 Florida (SEC Champion, BCS Rank 2)

"Likely" Semifinals (Based off of Bowl Results)

#4 USC vs. #1 Ohio State
#3 LSU vs. #2 Florida

BCS Title Game

#4 USC vs. #2 Florida

Those are four really interesting Quarterfinal games. Tough break for OU having to go @ Florida...that would be a tough one to win. In this format, Boise State would have a crack at beating LSU in Death Valley, and assuming they pulled some voodoo magic, it could be interesting. I think SUC and Ohio State could handle L'ville and Wake respectively.

In the semifinal games, LSU would have its rematch with Florida (that would be a helluva game). Assuming Ohio State looked as bad as it did on Monday night, SUC could advance as the #4 seed and take on the Florida/LSU winner for the national championship.

I think that is the most reasonable plan out there, and the one most people could agree with. It doesn't leave anyone out like the current system does, and incorporate the bowls.

How the hell anyone could be against something like that is beyond me. I would think it could make college football even more exciting.

Hopefully we see that in 2010.

fadada1
1/10/2007, 09:20 AM
all well and good, but i stick to my guns by saying that the top 8 ranked teams in the BCS at the end of the season get the playoff. by top 8 ranked teams, i mean exactly that. if there are 4 teams from the same conference in the top 8, so be it. you could have a 3-4 loss big east team win their conference. doesn't seem right to keep a 1 loss big 12/SEC team out of it when we all know what the outcome of a 1 loss SEC/big12 team would be against a 4 loss boston college type.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 09:27 AM
all well and good, but i stick to my guns by saying that the top 8 ranked teams in the BCS at the end of the season get the playoff. by top 8 ranked teams, i mean exactly that. if there are 4 teams from the same conference in the top 8, so be it. you could have a 3-4 loss big east team win their conference. doesn't seem right to keep a 1 loss big 12/SEC team out of it when we all know what the outcome of a 1 loss SEC/big12 team would be against a 4 loss boston college type.

Somehow, I doubt a one loss SEc or Big 12 team would be left out, as they would probably be an at large at that point.

Nevertheless, any playoff has to incorporate the conferences, or its not going to ever happen.

8 teams with 6 CC's and 2 at large berths is the only way IMO. And it is a hell of a lot better than the stupid *** system we have now.

fadada1
1/10/2007, 09:37 AM
Somehow, I doubt a one loss SEc or Big 12 team would be left out, as they would probably be an at large at that point.

Nevertheless, any playoff has to incorporate the conferences, or its not going to ever happen.

8 teams with 6 CC's and 2 at large berths is the only way IMO. And it is a hell of a lot better than the stupid *** system we have now.
true, but lets assume something like this... in the big 12, you've got an undefeated OU (duh) and an undefeated nebraska inthe CCG. standing in the wings with their dorks in their hands (yet again) is a one loss, and highly ranked texas (loss to OU at the midpoint of the season). OU wins the CCG, nu is now 12-1 and ranked 8ish, OU is ranked #1 or #2, and texas is ranked 5ish. then you throw in a situation like the big 10 this year with michigan, osu, and wisconsin. just sayin'

TUSooner
1/10/2007, 09:44 AM

HEAR HIM !
If nothing else, even the above-average fan can't go to more that 2 "playoff" games. Heck, most fans can't even make it to one bowl game.

Some of these grandiose plans would have to be worked in over 2 or 3 or more generations. Get real; take one-step at at time .

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 09:50 AM
true, but lets assume something like this... in the big 12, you've got an undefeated OU (duh) and an undefeated nebraska inthe CCG. standing in the wings with their dorks in their hands (yet again) is a one loss, and highly ranked texas (loss to OU at the midpoint of the season). OU wins the CCG, nu is now 12-1 and ranked 8ish, OU is ranked #1 or #2, and texas is ranked 5ish. then you throw in a situation like the big 10 this year with michigan, osu, and wisconsin. just sayin'

Not saying it won't happen. But for the most part, i don't think it will.

And, its a hell of a lot better than the POS 2-team playoff decided by computers and sports writers system that we have now.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 09:55 AM
1) Force Notre Dame into the Big 10 or Big East
2) Let Conferences decide their champ however they want to
3) 6 BCS Conference Champs receive automatic bids
4) 11 Game season without BYE weeks so the season ends in mid November.
5) Conference Championships Thanksgiving Weekend (Sorry Texas/A&M)

1st week of December

Wild Card Games between 4 highest rated Champs of the 5 Non BCS conferences
Boise St ..vs. Troy
BYU vs. Houston

2nd Week of December
Florida vs. Wake Forest
Houstonvs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. Louisville
Boise State vs. USC

3rd Week of December
Florida vs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. USC

BCS Bowl Bids go out immediately following semi-final games, BCS rules will prevent teams that played in the playoffs from having a rematch in the bowl games.

The Championship game will be played January 8th. All other bowls will go as they normally do. This gives the good teams less time off, but enough time off. The season is just like it normally is excpet we could be 15-0 National Champs...high school teams gotta win more games than that to be undefeated champs.

This one is good, because it means you have to be a champion to play for the National Championship. That is the way it should be.

Alternatively, I would say that the playoffs could determine the New Year's Day Bowl Matchups (note that I did not say New Year's Week, but New Year's Day). Based on your layout, I'd say that the losers from the 2nd week in December play each other in the Rose and Orange, respectively, this year, the losers from the 3rd week in December play in the Sugar, and the winners of the respective brackets play for the championship in the Fiesta.

So we'd see (objectively)...on New Year's Day:

Wake and Houston in the Orange
Boise and Louisville in the Rose
OU and Ohio State in the Sugar
Florida and USC in the Fiesta

I can live with that.

I think the bowls and playoffs can coexist. I just prefer that we make 1 January THE DAY again. The hell with 2 Jan, 3 Jan, ..... ..... .... 8 Jan.

More football is better, everybody wins (even the little guys, who should get a legitimate chance). Except ND, who would lose out on their NBC contract and automatic BS bid to play teams that are tremendously better than them and lose big. :rolleyes:

It even leaves room for fanboys to speculate on what could have been if Michigan/Wisconsin won the Big tenleven, if LSU won the sec, etc...and that's what college football's all about. The January watercooler talks would be good.

The_Red_Patriot
1/10/2007, 10:10 AM
take the top 10 teams

The two teams that make it through the tourney play in the bcs championship game.

When a team loses, they are placed in one of the BCS games. (sugar, orange, fiesta, rose)

also, since the big 10 pac 10 bitch all the time about the rose bowl, take the rose bowl out of the bcs and put in the cotton bowl and play it at houston

Socrefbek
1/10/2007, 10:24 AM
Division 1 limited to 96 teams

Divide into 8 12 team conferences.

Teams play 11 games against conference opponents.

Season starts 2nd Saturday in September and ends in November. Teams are allowed a 2 week break for finals.

Top 2 teams from each conference qualify for 16 team playoff.

Week 1 - 2nd Saturday in December (8 games) Played at home Stadium of Conference Champions

Week 2 - 3rd Saturday in December (4 games) Played at Traditional Bowl Site Geographically Matched to the Teams

Week 3 - 4th Saturday in December (2 games) Played at Traditional Bowl Site

Week 2 and 3 played at (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Incorporate 1 Northern Domed Stadium Site) on rotational basis between week 2 and 3

Championship game is played 1st Monday in January. (Game played at week 2 site on rotational basis)

Remaining Traditional Bowl games continue for all teams that do not qualify for the playoffs. Bowls will be offered to conference teams finishing in 3rd thru 5th place in conference.

A total of 40 teams qualify for post season maximum number of games played by any team is 15 games (2 teams), 14 games (2 teams), 13 games (4 teams), 12 games (32 teams), remaining teams play 11 games.

Currently many teams are playing 13 and 14 game seasons anyway. School is not interfered with anymore than currently exists. Bowl system still exists for teams that have winning years. More teams (16) have a shot at National title and all of the season is meaningful probably moreso than it is now.

JMHO

Fraggle145
1/10/2007, 10:43 AM

Agreed. Most years more than 4 are not necessary (i.e., the plus-one). But then how do you justify screwing people out of the #4 spot? Simple, dont lose and you wont get screwed. It still keeps the emphasis on the regular season and the body of work, which is what sets college football's post season apart. I dont see why everyone wants to disassemble what is out there already... It is likely the same people that come crying when a tradition is ruined (for example OU/NEB).

I would be interested to see if anyone can find a year when more than a 4 team playoff would be necessary... :pop:

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 11:06 AM
I would be interested to see if anyone can find a year when more than a 4 team playoff would be necessary... :pop:

How about this year?

Boise wasn't in the top 4, yet they are the only undefeated team in the country. They should get a shot.

macg4
1/10/2007, 01:11 PM
Here's my idea... Since it's all about money and giving preferential treatment to certain teams, bowls and conferences, this one i think lets that junk go on and still get a playoff.

Take the top 6 or 8 out of the BCS rankings. 6 teams with a bye week for the top two, 8 teams no bye week. No conference can have more than two.

Have the playoff games be at home field with home field advantage going to the highest rated team. Use a standard payout to the visiting team or have special negations in the playoff system.

Probably would have to go back to 11 regular season games, then start the playoffs 2 weeks after the last conference championship game which should make it possible to play it out before finals. You could move the BCS games later if you wanted or needed to. Let the other non-bcs bowls do their own thing although some of them may depend on who wins in the playoffs but probably not.

With 6 teams you could have a bye for the top two, Ohio State and Florida.

It would be Michigan vs Louisville and LSU vs USC

Based on who I think would win:

Second Round: Ohio State vs Michigan and Florida vs LSU

then you would have the final BSC rankings:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Florida
4. Michigan
5. USC
6. Louisville
7. Wisconsin
...etc...

Then do the regular BCS selection at that point. The rose bowl can be happy and still feel elitist by having their beloved Pac10 Big10 pillowfight... continue using the bowl system just like it is so you don't have to worry about any conference bowl affiliations and the payouts to the school. All of the BCS conferences would still get the big money from the bcs games.

I think 8 teams would be better just more games, and as we all know "those kids are there to learn not play football.":

8 team playoff with two different brackets.

1st round 1st bracket
1. Ohio State vs 8. Oklahoma
3. Michigan vs 6. Louisville
2nd bracket
2. Florida vs 7. Boise State
4. LSU vs 7. USC

2nd round
8. Oklahoma vs 3. Michigan
2. Florida vs 4. LSU

8. Oklahoma vs 4. LSU go to championship game...

then the bcs selection can take place and one of them can choose notre dame even if they suck and can do what they want at that point. you could still use the same unfair rules that favor the rose bowl and notre dame...

This seems like it handles all the special treatment for certain bowls, schools and conferences which is not going to change, and is better at crowning a true champion.

The big 10 could still get millions from 2 bcs team and notre dame could get to go when they don't deserve to. Everybody is happy...

Fraggle145
1/10/2007, 02:36 PM
How about this year?

Boise wasn't in the top 4, yet they are the only undefeated team in the country. They should get a shot.

I respectfully disagree... They proved they could beat a very good team on one day when everything went right for them and everything went wrong for us (at least for the 1st half). Not taking anything away from them, but they still havent proven to me that they could compete in even the Big XII (and we are a weak conference right now) week in and week out. 3 trick plays arent going to go right every time, and I stil think that we would beat them 9 out of 10. JMHO.

NoUse4AName
1/10/2007, 02:55 PM
I would like to see something like the Big XII basketball tourny. Have 12 teams and give the top 4 teams a bye. Make similar rules as the BCS such as only 2 teams per conference are allowed in and whatever else. But it would give more teams a chance to prove that they are the best team at the end of the year. But maybe that's just me.

dougsooner
1/10/2007, 03:09 PM
Only conf. winners but make the smaller conferences play a "play in game". Something like the WAC vs. the Mountain West and so on. Then it can easily get to 8 teams. Big12, Big11, Pac10, ACC, SEC and two "play in game" winners. Then for the 8th team let it be a wild card team. Play the games home field advantage of the higher ranked team. The problem with rankings is what happened OU this year. They took the strength of schedule out of the BCS. The computers were supposed to keep it in but we can see that didn't work by all the Big East schools staying ranked high. Also, and this is the thing that came up this year: The computers can't understand situations like what happened at Oregon this year. Did you see where the computers had OU ranked at he end of the regular season? some of them had us around 18th or so. The computers don't recognize "special" situations. Some voters tried to make up for it by "assuming" we won that game but the computers didn't. Bottom line on the play off is win your conf. to get in.

BIG_IKE
1/10/2007, 03:13 PM
doug...you said almost the exact same thing I proposed earlier in the thread.

dougsooner
1/10/2007, 05:08 PM
Could be 1 of two things: Either "great minds think alike" or "I breezed through the first posts too quickly". I'll go with the later... sorry dude, but i have to say now: Your are 100% correct in your post!

goingoneight
1/10/2007, 11:08 PM
Even though it's painful to say it, I'm afraid USC is the only team I could see making it all the way to and through this season's tourney. Unless Florida can hang with a defense as good as their own, cuz we all know SUC is a monster D.

FrostySooner
1/11/2007, 01:08 AM
Another problem with taking just the Coference Champs is sometimes there are upsets in those Conference Championship games. A certain 11-0 team could lose to a 7-4 team and get left out of the playoff. That really is not fair either.

The truth is that what makes the biggest difference is the make believe rankings that come out each week. If a team starts #1 and loses 2 games, they will probably still finish in the top 10 because they started out so high. If a team starts at 50 and goes undefeated, they could still be ranked 18th or 20th in the nation. Get rid of these rankings and let them earn the ranking on the field in the first 8 weeks. That is really the only way that you can have a true #1.

Crucifax Autumn
1/11/2007, 02:01 AM
So why not force confrences to have 12 teams, add a game or 2 to the regular season, and eliminate the CCG?

Simple, if you wanna have your team or your conference in the playoff then you have to meet certain requirements.

FrostySooner
1/11/2007, 04:26 AM
So why not force confrences to have 12 teams, add a game or 2 to the regular season, and eliminate the CCG?

Simple, if you wanna have your team or your conference in the playoff then you have to meet certain requirements.

Then there is the scenario that two 10-1 teams are on each side of the conference and no clear cut Conference Champion. Again, we have a paper champion. I say play the CCG, take the bias human polls out of the mix, and take the top 16 teams with a system that uses SOS, RPI rankings (like NCAA Basketball), other computer rankings that are legit, and let the computers sort it out. I am not 100% for using computers, but I truly believe that it is the only way to keep bias out of CFB.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/11/2007, 08:06 AM
There should be some kind of conference strength formula to decide the best whatever conferences that year, using bowl eligible teams per capita, wins per capita, top 25 teams, top 10 and top 5.
A playoff beginnins December 10th with the play-in games.
And while I do this why don't sim it on NCAA 07 for fun?

SoonerMachine
1/12/2007, 12:50 AM
Leaving the conferences, CCGs, and independents alone...

BCS 8-team Playoff Formula for 2006:

1. After the regular season ends, rank the eleven D–1A conference champions by the BCS:

BCS Rank | Champion | Conference

#1 – Ohio State – Big 10
#2 – Florida – SEC
#5 – USC – Pacific 10
#6 – Louisville – Big East
#8 – Boise State – WAC
#10 – OU – Big 12
#14 – Wake Forest – ACC
#20 – BYU – Mountain West
(NR) – Houston – C-USA
(NR) – Central Michigan – MAC
(NR) – Troy – Sun Belt

2. Select the six highest ranked conference champions:

#1 – Ohio State – Big 10
#2 – Florida – SEC
#5 – USC – Pacific 10
#6 – Louisville – Big East
#8 – Boise State – WAC
#10 – OU – Big 12

3. Select the two highest ranked at-large teams (conference or independent):

#3 – Michigan – Big 10
#4 – LSU – SEC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Round:

#1 Ohio State hosts #10 OU

#2 Florida hosts #8 Boise State

#5 USC hosts #6 Louisville

#3 Michigan hosts #4 LSU (at-large elimination game)

2nd Round:

Highest rank hosts lowest rank

Second highest hosts third lowest

3rd Round:

Winners play in the national championship game.

All bowls remain, including invitations to the six teams eliminated prior to the championship game.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/12/2007, 08:01 AM
Ok playoffs start December the 3rd after an 11-game no conference championship season with the play in games. The at-large bids being decided by the next highest BCS ranked team. The 6 major conference champions are ordered by BCS rank.
-------------------
At Large #1 (Michigan) vs Sun Belt Champion (Troy)
WAC Champion (Boise State) vs Mountain West Champion (BYU)
At Large #2 (LSU) vs Conference USA Winner (Houston)
At Large #3 (Wisconsin) vs MAC Winner (Ohio)
-------------------
And now to simulate...

Michigan 56 Troy 3
Boise State 24 BYU 10
LSU 30 Houston 6
Wisconsin 38 Ohio 0
-------------------
Michigan advances to play Wake Forest
Boise State advances to play USC
LSU advances to play Oklahoma
Wisconsin advances to play Louisville
-------------------
Michigan 38 Wake Forest 10
USC 30 Boise State 27
Oklahoma 42 LSU 31
Wisconsin 16 Louisville 9
-------------------
Michigan advances to play Ohio State
USC advances to play the above winner
Wisconsin advances to play the below winner
Oklahoma advances to Florida
-------------------
Michigan 24 Ohio State 17
Florida 41 Oklahoma 35, 2OT
-------------------
Michigan advances to play USC
Florida advances to play Louisville
-------------------
Michigan 20 USC 13
Louisville 29 FLorida 20
-------------------
Michigan 45 Louisville 17

Michigan is the national champions.

goingoneight
1/14/2007, 01:15 AM
Bump...

and yes... I AM still whining about this on a message board. Funny how you can actually post messages on a message board, ain't it?

:stunned: Dee-dee-duh!!!