PDA

View Full Version : After 10 games,here we are at 7-3,better or worse than you expected?

stoopified
12/23/2006, 08:58 AM
By my prediction we are exactly on beam.We have not lost any games I expected us to win and have not won any I expected us to lose.I expect us to go 8-8 in conference.I know many are thinking I am crazy but everone in the conference has shown weaknesses that will allow us a chance to cmpete and win.In any case I still think we will finish with 17-18 wins.

Ash
12/23/2006, 09:38 AM
We're about where I expected, but I thought this team could maybe pull out one or two more wins against teams like Purdue and maybe 'Nova at home. But no big surprises so far, I figured this team is going to be up and down all year...maybe winning one or two they shouldn't and losing one or two they should have won.

I don't think this team has a chance against the better teams in the conference, especially on the road. I'm thinking A&M, Kansas, Texas, and Okie Lite. Baylor has been playing well, but I'm not terribly impressed by them. The other teams...I think it's a toss up at this point.

This team needed to beat a quality OOC opponent, IMO to build the NCAA tourney resume. Now, I think they'd have to make a huge run in the conference and reach the finals or win the tourney to get a bid. I still think the NIT is possible and that it would be a great opportunity for this team, this year. Extra games, extra practices and tourney type competition. Teams that do well in the NIT often improve the next season and go on to the big dance.

Jeopardude
12/23/2006, 12:01 PM
I really thought 8-2 at worst (cocky about Purdue). I hope Ash is astute about the outside chance at the NCAA. I'd be happy with one win in the NIT.

(unless of course Longar Squared turns into the player I predcit him to be)

Sooner24
12/23/2006, 09:44 PM
Maybe a little better record then I expected at this point. A great season to me would be making the NIT.

OUSKINS
12/24/2006, 12:27 PM
Record-wise, we're right where I thought we'd be. But overall, I think we're slightly better than my initial expectations. The team plays MUCH better defense than I would have thought. We're not big, we're not really overly skilled, but the team does have some decent athletes, and Capel has turned that strength into a real defensive dynamo. He switches up defenses, confuses other teams, and we utilizes our good on-ball defenders very well.

Offensively, it's a struggle at times, which is not a surprise. It's also probably going to be a struggle all season. Crocker is a better scorer than I imagined, but other than that, the team is basically what I thought in terms of offensive skill.

I do think this season may be more fun than anticipated. The NIT is MORE than a realistic goal-- at this point, I'd actually say I'd be really surprised if we don't make it. The NCAA? Very unlikely, because I just can't see us winning any tough games on the road-- which will pretty much be a necessity unless we run the table at home-- again, totally unlikely.

But I've enjoyed this team so far more than I thought I would.

King Crimson
12/24/2006, 12:51 PM
even though i missed the game due to the weather here in Colorado, i was pleased to beat Tulsa. they were kind of gunning for us, and had played some solid ball. i'd really like to see Griffin step forward and be more consistent....but i guess i'd have to say we're about where i thought we'd be. on pace for about 15-17 wins. i agree with 24 that the NIT is a reasonable goal, IMO. South divisional games won't be easy with UT, ATM, OSU twice.

FT shooting concerns me....you can't win close road games in conference going 11-20 from the stripe.

Blue
12/26/2006, 01:35 AM
12-18 is possible, but so is 18-12. Should be fun....or not.

stoopified
12/26/2006, 09:52 AM
12-18 is possible, but so is 18-12. Should be fun....or not.I'm glad to see someone who is decisive.:D

soonervegas
12/26/2006, 10:47 AM
I only had us winning 11-12 games this year...so I am slightly surprised at this point. The main problem I see going forward is this:

Texas
at Texas
OSU
at OSU
Texas A&M
at Texas A&M
Kansas

The key to our season will trying to steal 2 of these games. If we do....NIT here we come. If we don't we wil be hard pressed to hit the 15-16 win mark.

OUstud
12/26/2006, 01:53 PM
Here's what I see:

Wins: SMU, Colorado, Nebraska, Baylor, Longwood (heh), @ ISU
Maybes: @ Tech, Tech, Aggy (kind of like how they play well at home in football), @ Baylor, A&M (we could match up well with their defensive style), Kansas (sometimes disappears vs. lesser opponents), @ KSU
Losses: @ Bama, @ Texas, @ Aggy, @ A&M, @ Missouri, Texas

So 13 wins at the least, I think we could win a couple of those maybes and finish with a solid 16 wins or so. That would be a good season with reason for optimism for next year.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/26/2006, 03:56 PM
Here's what I see:

Wins: SMU, Colorado, Nebraska, Baylor, Longwood (heh), @ ISU
Maybes: @ Tech, Tech, Aggy (kind of like how they play well at home in football), @ Baylor, A&M (we could match up well with their defensive style), Kansas (sometimes disappears vs. lesser opponents), @ KSU
Losses: @ Bama, @ Texas, @ Aggy, @ A&M, @ Missouri, Texas

So 13 wins at the least, I think we could win a couple of those maybes and finish with a solid 16 wins or so. That would be a good season with reason for optimism for next year.

I was pretty conservative with my picks going into the year but we are pretty much where I thought we would be. I think overall we are probably at least marginally better/more competitive than I thought we would be. Probably most pleasantly suprised with Longar and pleased but not terribly suprised by Crocker and most disappointed with Carter, not that he is bad but certainly I hoped for more than 4.5 pts a game when I had read on several occaisions a couple years ago that he could wind up being the star of the team.

I generally agree with OUStud's predictions above except I'd move the game @MU from a loss to a maybe game. I'd not sold on MU just yet and I think their system has had more success early in the season that it will late with marginal talent.

If I had to pick a number right now I'd go with 15 wins regular season and a good shot at an opening round conference tourney win which would get us into the NIT.

As many big shots and as much heart as Neal has shown I'll be sorry to see him go but I do think from a talent standpoint the players coming in next year, plus the likely maturation of the current underclassmen probably means that the team stands a good chance of improving next year.

This year I'd just like to see the postseason streak continue.

fwsooner22
12/26/2006, 04:31 PM
I would add that there are a few games that we are in danger of having our heads handed to us. Like 20 or 30 point losses. We do not board well enough to stay in games against superior opponents. I hope I am wrong.

OUSKINS
12/26/2006, 04:59 PM
I totally agree that the key to our post-season hopes is pretty simple:

1. We MUST win home games against equal or lesser teams (SMU, Colorado, Nebraska, etc..)

2. We MUST find a way to not go 0-8 against the "beasts" on the schedule (Bama, OSU, Tex, A+M, KU). Pull off a couple of wins from that group, and I'd say we're a lock for the NIT.

As a fan, I can't help but dream NCAA dreams in terms of making the Big Dance. However, I acknowledge that is beyond unlikely, and that making the NIT should be our goal. I will be disappointed if we don't make it.

william_brasky
12/26/2006, 07:36 PM
As a team, we're right where I thought we'd be.

Individually, some guys are playing better than I thought they would, and some aren't playing as well as I thought they would.

Rook65
12/28/2006, 10:59 AM
I just wish more OU "fans" would actually go to the games.

OUstud
12/28/2006, 11:55 AM
I hear you Rook. I'm in for tonight...