PDA

View Full Version : I feel dirty

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:04 PM
After promising myself I wasn't going to buy any more game systems, I walked right into a display of 60GB PS3s at Best Buy. I was honestly buying Christmas gifts for other people, but the dang things ambushed me.

royalfan5
12/22/2006, 09:09 PM
Did they have knives? Because it's okay then.

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, they had knives.

Dirty savings account gashing knives.

BudSooner
12/22/2006, 09:19 PM
You will feel better when the next addition of NCAA football comes out, knives are a bad thing though. ;)

Widescreen
12/22/2006, 09:44 PM
Do you have to use some kind of voltage converter in Alaska? I think the PS3's run on 120volt. YWIA.

;)

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, CRAP! That's why it's smoking!

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2006, 09:51 PM
So how many gaming systems does this make for the Frozen Mike household?

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:52 PM
Um, let's see.

There's the Sega Dreamcast that's in the closet.

It's hanging out with the XBOX.

The XBOX 360 and the PS3 are hooked up right now.

On the bright side, at least after three months when I don't play with THIS one, I can still watch Blu-Ray movies on it. Of course, I still think HD-DVD is going to win, but I've got downside protection now.

Widescreen
12/22/2006, 09:53 PM
There's still the Wii. Slacker.

Mjcpr
12/22/2006, 09:54 PM
I am FAR from a gaming expert but I could never figure out why one would need an XBox 360 and a PS3. The better graphics and HD are the big selling points and they both have that, right?

It sucks getting old. I couldn't understand why the boy needed an XBox and a PS2 either. :(

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:54 PM
I refuse to buy Nintendo products. There's really no reason why. It's just blind, unreasoning hate.

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 09:56 PM
I am FAR from a gaming expert but I could never figure out why one would need an XBox 360 and a PS3. The better graphics and HD are the big selling points and they both have that, right?

It sucks getting old. I couldn't understand why the boy needed an XBox and a PS2 either. :(

Well, the better graphics=HD on both of them. Title exclusivity is a thing of the past, really, so yeah, gaming system-wise there's really no reason to own both. In fact, I may try to unload my 360.

The PS3 does support Blu-Ray playback, and it's $400 cheaper than the cheapest standalone Blu-Ray player (nice marketing tactic there, Sony. Undercut everyone who's supporting your format!) There's a bunch of Blu-Ray discs that aren't out in HD-DVD and a bunch of HD-DVD titles that aren't on Blu-Ray.

King Crimson
12/22/2006, 09:57 PM
There's really no reason why. It's just blind, unreasoning hate.

well, that's what makes the world go 'round.

Mjcpr
12/22/2006, 10:00 PM
So PS3's will play Blu-Ray discs and the 360 plays neither? Interesting. So if the HD DVD concept takes off, I guess Sony is in line to break the bank. And I don't doubt that it will because I'm starting to see moves advertised as available in Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD formats.

royalfan5
12/22/2006, 10:00 PM
Well, the better graphics=HD on both of them. Title exclusivity is a thing of the past, really, so yeah, gaming system-wise there's really no reason to own both. In fact, I may try to unload my 360.

The PS3 does support Blu-Ray playback, and it's $400 cheaper than the cheapest standalone Blu-Ray player (nice marketing tactic there, Sony. Undercut everyone who's supporting your format!) There's a bunch of Blu-Ray discs that aren't out in HD-DVD and a bunch of HD-DVD titles that aren't on Blu-Ray.
[Sony exec]Hey, remember how well we did with Beta? I think we should totally emulate that with blue-ray[Sony Exec] {Other Sony exec} That's a great idea, let's do it{Other Sony Exec}

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 10:02 PM
So PS3's will play Blu-Ray discs and the 360 plays neither? Interesting. So if the HD DVD concept takes off, I guess Sony is in line to break the bank. And I don't doubt that it will because I'm starting to see moves advertised as available in Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD formats.

PS3 supports Blu-Ray, but not HD-DVD. The 360 supports HD-DVD with a $200 addon. I have a standalone HD-DVD player, though.

BudSooner
12/22/2006, 10:02 PM
I refuse to buy Nintendo products. There's really no reason why. It's just blind, unreasoning hate.

Not to mention that whole throwing the controller at your tv thing...that kinda bites. and the two dudes who show up wanting to play your games, word is they are from Oregon.:D

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 10:03 PM
[Sony exec]Hey, remember how well we did with Beta? I think we should totally emulate that with blue-ray[Sony Exec] {Other Sony exec} That's a great idea, let's do it{Other Sony Exec}

And UMD, and Memory Stick, and SACD....

Yeah, Sony isn't the best on the whole format thing.

slickdawg
12/22/2006, 10:23 PM
I'm gonna wait 1-2 years before even considering a HD DVD/Blu Ray player.

This is definately another beta vs. VHS

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 10:25 PM
I'm gonna wait 1-2 years before even considering a HD DVD/Blu Ray player.

This is definately another beta vs. VHS

Honestly, it's probably more of an SACD vs. DVD-A (no, not DVDA, which is something completely other you sick freak.) Neither one is a standard that is likely to be widely accepted in the marketplace before a superior standard comes along and wipes both of them out. If the format differences settle in the next year, then one will probably survive-but if the "war" continues past that, downloadable content will blow both away.

crawfish
12/22/2006, 11:16 PM
After promising myself I wasn't going to buy any more game systems, I walked right into a display of 60GB PS3s at Best Buy. I was honestly buying Christmas gifts for other people, but the dang things ambushed me.

Heh. I'm taking mine back to the store.

I'm gonna talk real loud as I return it and see what kind of chaos ensues. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 11:18 PM
Heh. Reports are that Sony shipped a butt-ton of the PS3s to hit stores today. I guess Sharp finally delivered a big load of blue laser diodes that they had promised weeks ago, and that was the big production holdup.

Now that I know Sharp is building the lasers and not Sony, I feel a lot better about the tech.

proud gonzo
12/22/2006, 11:21 PM
nerrrrds...

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2006, 11:27 PM
You wish you could be here watching Ice Age 2 with me.

proud gonzo
12/22/2006, 11:34 PM
heh

GottaHavePride
12/23/2006, 12:19 AM

As far as I know, most movie studios are in bed with either one format or the other, but not both. So some movies you need HD-DVD to watch and some you need Blu-Ray.

That said, I still think the 360 is going to win this round. It got out first, costs significantly less, and from what I can tell Blu-Ray will manage at best a stalemate with HD-DVD.

Plus I'm a HALO junkie.

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 12:26 AM
As far as I know, most movie studios are in bed with either one format or the other, but not both. So some movies you need HD-DVD to watch and some you need Blu-Ray.

That said, I still think the 360 is going to win this round. It got out first, costs significantly less, and from what I can tell Blu-Ray will manage at best a stalemate with HD-DVD.

Plus I'm a HALO junkie.

Well, sort of on the studios.

There are two studios that are HD-DVD exclusive: Universal and Weinstein. Weinstein hasn't put out any discs yet, so...

There are more studios that are Blu-Ray exclusive: Disney, Sony/Columbia, Lion's Gate, Fox, MGM.

Warner Brothers, Paramount, and a bunch of others are neutral-they're putting out content for both formats.

soonerboomer93
12/23/2006, 01:59 AM
You should just sent that ps3 to me, that will make you feel better

:D

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah yeah. Gecher butt online.

OUstud
12/23/2006, 02:09 AM
This thread makes me sad in the pants. I've believed everything I've heard, how it's just like the 360, that once the first day is gone, they won't be shipping until February, no 60 gigs available... :( maybe there will be a Christmas miracle for me :D

SicEmBaylor
12/23/2006, 02:15 AM
How the hell did you just waltz into a Best Buy and buy a PS3? Have all the units been inadvertently shipped to Alaska instead of the real United States?

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 02:16 AM
How the hell did you just waltz into a Best Buy and buy a PS3? Have all the units been inadvertently shipped to Alaska instead of the real United States?

Because I ****ing RULE!

King Crimson
12/23/2006, 04:23 AM
can you make wind chimes? tee hee

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 04:28 AM
can you make wind chimes? tee hee

Heh. I was recruited by UCLA, you know. ;)

King Crimson
12/23/2006, 04:50 AM
Heh. I was recruited by UCLA, you know. ;)

oh man....i'm not even going to GIS strawberry shortcake canyon and some ham faced fat chicks in Cal sweatshirts. but, i thought about it.

soonerboomer93
12/23/2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah yeah. Gecher butt online.

I was online for a bit last night, but then I got sleep and ****.

I'm trying to figure out what I will buy myself this week, even though I said I wouldn't get it :D

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 12:04 PM
I was online for a bit last night, but then I got sleep and ****.

I'm trying to figure out what I will buy myself this week, even though I said I wouldn't get it :D

It should probably be that one girl on your profile. I mean, I doubt she's for sale, but :hot:

Sooner_Havok
12/23/2006, 12:19 PM

Plus I'm a HALO junkie.

The 360 does cost less at first, but when you add in the cost of buying the HD-DVD attachment for it, it becomes a wash. I think that will be the fall of the 360. When people start to figure out it isn't a next-gen DVD player out of the box, they will look towards the PS3 more.

GottaHavePride
12/23/2006, 01:01 PM
The 360 does cost less at first, but when you add in the cost of buying the HD-DVD attachment for it, it becomes a wash. I think that will be the fall of the 360. When people start to figure out it isn't a next-gen DVD player out of the box, they will look towards the PS3 more.

Meh. I'm waiting for one format to definitively become dominant before buying a player anyway. Heck, I don't even have an HD tv yet.

Sooner_Havok
12/23/2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I can't afford one of them HD tvs

soonerboomer93
12/23/2006, 06:48 PM
It should probably be that one girl on your profile. I mean, I doubt she's for sale, but :hot:

which girl, and the one on myspace you mean?

Frozen Sooner
12/23/2006, 07:17 PM
which girl, and the one on myspace you mean?

Yeah, on myspace.

GottaHavePride
12/23/2006, 07:27 PM
Link? ;)

soonerboomer93
12/23/2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah, on myspace.

your'e gonna have to be more specific then, there's a couple hotties on there

soonerboomer93
12/23/2006, 08:54 PM
Link? ;)

join myspace :D