BASSooner
12/22/2006, 02:29 AM
content

SleestakSooner
12/22/2006, 02:35 AM
I try not to.

ouwasp
12/22/2006, 02:48 AM
When I heard Coach Gibbs say "When will Oklahoma get back to the top? I'm not sure college football will allow that..."

I knew his days were numbered.

I wish him well wherever he presently is and in the future. But tonight as BYU was pummeling Oregon :D , I thought of the disastrous Copper Bowl that ended Coach Gibbs tenure...

What a nightmare that was.....

setem
12/22/2006, 03:00 AM
I included him(showing the bad **** OU has been through) in my new video and I did not want to bash someone if I didnt have too.

Octavian
12/22/2006, 03:24 AM
a cerebral leader for the great OU defenses of the mid-80s....someone who was highly respected by his players and Switzer....

but someone who had the misfortune of following in the footsteps of a legend (without possessing the same charisma)...inheriting a program w/out TV access, bowls, or the normal scholarship limits...and being asked to restore respectability in the wake of the scandals.

He had to play with a pretty crappy hand.

He lost a bunch to the rivals and wasn't a great HC...but OU's had it's share of bad coaches....and Gibbs wasn't one of 'em IMO.

SoonerTerry
12/22/2006, 06:44 AM
Liked his work with the Bee Gees, but his solo work wasn't so hot;)

Is he the one who sang "Night Fever"?:D

LoyalFan
12/22/2006, 07:27 AM
When I heard Coach Gibbs say "When will Oklahoma get back to the top? I'm not sure college football will allow that..."

I knew his days were numbered.

I wish him well wherever he presently is and in the future. But tonight as BYU was pummeling Oregon :D , I thought of the disastrous Copper Bowl that ended Coach Gibbs tenure...

What a nightmare that was.....

Yais, it was a nightmare, but the team carried him off the field on their shoulders. Maybe they felt all he needed was more time.
Now, the cutie who sustained me through that game, and "soothed" me later, said of Gary..."Fired? But he's so cute!" Go figger.

LF

Sooner24
12/22/2006, 07:33 AM
Proud that he was a Sooner.

TUSooner
12/22/2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah, he had a tough time as HC, but once a Sooner....

And now he's doing a great job with mostly no-names as the Saints' DC (in case somebody didn't know)

So I like the guy.

SoonerStormchaser
12/22/2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah, he had a tough time as HC, but once a Sooner....

Um yah...do you feel the same way abouy **************?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/22/2006, 10:08 AM

HE was NEVER a Sooner... He just sat in the chair and drank.

mrowl
12/22/2006, 10:14 AM
He will be HC again somewhere in D1, and probably do a good job.

Rufnek76
12/22/2006, 10:35 AM
Sorry dudes...I have a great deal of DISRESPECT for Gary Gibbs, this is why. I was a donor back whe Gibbs was hired...The very first introduction to the donors that fall he stated, "I am going to coach this team first, and foremost, with class!" Just the way he said it made one think he didn't think Barry had coached the team with class. I guess it depends on what you think "class" is. I have always felt the OU administration had NO CLASS by the way they turned their backs on Barry, and Gibbs had NO CLASS by making that statement!" GARY GIBBS HAS NO CLASS!

soonervegas
12/22/2006, 10:56 AM
He will be HC again somewhere in the NFL, and probably do a good job.

Fixed it for you. Gibbs is a classic example of a coach that was meant for the pros. Detail oriented, businesslike.....just what NFL players respond too. Not a rah, rah guy that is needed in college....

jk the sooner fan
12/22/2006, 11:12 AM
i like Gibbs, he came in at a time when it was about as impossible a situation as you can imagine.....filling a legend's shoes is never easy, especially when they leave under such scrutiny and controversy

his two successors sure made him look much better than we thought he was

TUSooner
12/22/2006, 11:18 AM

I don't think Schmellybooger even made it to "once."

TUSooner
12/22/2006, 11:26 AM
Sorry dudes...I have a great deal of DISRESPECT for Gary Gibbs, this is why. I was a donor back whe Gibbs was hired...The very first introduction to the donors that fall he stated, "I am going to coach this team first, and foremost, with class!" Just the way he said it made one think he didn't think Barry had coached the team with class. I guess it depends on what you think "class" is. I have always felt the OU administration had NO CLASS by the way they turned their backs on Barry, and Gibbs had NO CLASS by making that statement!" GARY GIBBS HAS NO CLASS!
I disagree.
Barry has now regained his rightful "legend" status, but at the end of his tenure, things just didn't smell too good. A lot of long-time faithful Sooners were among those thinking that machine guns in the dorm and coke-dealing moonlighters was not a sign of "class" in a football program. Gibbs was reacting to the zeitgeist; I certainly can't disrespect him (in capital letters) for that remark made at that time.

stonecoldsoonerfan
12/22/2006, 12:25 PM
a cerebral leader for the great OU defenses of the mid-80s....someone who was highly respected by his players and Switzer....

but someone who had the misfortune of following in the footsteps of a legend (without possessing the same charisma)...inheriting a program w/out TV access, bowls, or the normal scholarship limits...and being asked to restore respectability in the wake of the scandals.

He had to play with a pretty crappy hand.

He lost a bunch to the rivals and wasn't a great HC...but OU's had it's share of bad coaches....and Gibbs wasn't one of 'em IMO.

bingo! we have a winner!

The Maestro
12/22/2006, 12:32 PM
Switzer's last worst move in that era was picking Gary Gibbs as his replacement. That job should have gone to Merv, no questions asked. Just his leadership styple was more suited. Gibbs proved then and again now that he is suited to be a DC, not a head coach. Merv's calm attitude, great rapport with Oklahoma high school football coaches and even his older age on that staff would have been the perfect fit, in my opinion, regardless of the tough times due to probation. Barry picking Gibbs rivals his ability to run restaurants.

Did I just bash The King? I feel all dirty inside...

Rufnek76
12/22/2006, 06:18 PM
Barry did not shoot any machine guns, or deal any coke...the classless players did. A coach can not hold a players hand and babysit them 24/7.
If that were so, 95% of all college coaches are classless. AND I guess you are not a DALLAS COWBOY fan (which I am not) but I guess Parcell's has no class because of T.O., the FOOL, Tom Osborne had no class because of a high number of incidents, and most recently Larry Coker has no class because of all of the idiots he coached at Miami.....I must DISAGREE again. I am old enough to really know what went on, I know the people involved, and the whole situation should have been handled differently, then Barry would have been able to stay and we would have never experienced Gibby as a head coach, much less Snellie, or Blake.

Jdog
12/22/2006, 06:53 PM
Liked his work with the Bee Gees, but his solo work wasn't so hot;)

Is he the one who sang "Night Fever"?:D

T is that you - Your not from Mc are you?

OU Adonis
12/23/2006, 12:00 AM
So if Merv Johnson was the Head ball coach, do you think we would of stuck with the wishbone?

Thats one of the biggest gripes I ever had about Gary.

OUstud
12/23/2006, 02:00 AM
I included him(showing the bad **** OU has been through) in my new video and I did not want to bash someone if I didnt have too.

YouTube?

OklahomaTuba
12/23/2006, 03:49 AM
What painful days those were.

Remember the team walking out on him?

He should stick to coaching D, not coaching a team.

stoopified
12/23/2006, 11:31 AM
Gary Gibbs?

oumartin
12/23/2006, 12:04 PM
I liked the guy just think he started off with a bad situation and just could never get it going the way fans wanted. I believe he was a good HC just not great and yes better suited for a DC job in the NFL and who knows. Maybe a HC in the NFL?

Dio
12/23/2006, 12:19 PM
Great DC, HC not so much. If Tom Benson will upgrade the Saints D this offseason like he did their O last summer, look out.

goingoneight
12/23/2006, 04:07 PM
HE was NEVER a Sooner... He just sat in the chair and drank.

I sit in a chair and drink everytime I visit the forums. :D

But I actually took classes at OU, so I'm designated "Sooner." :D

soonerjoker
12/24/2006, 12:05 PM
Gary Gibbs is an excellent coach. he cleaned up the OU program, like he was told to do. then they told him, we meant for you to clean it up & of course
win every game. remember, his first 2 or 3 yrs; OU was on probation.

Gibbs was leaving OU to become DC @ USC; Barry thot enougf of him
to give him the DC job @ OU. over whomever already had the DC job.
he did an EXCELLENT job as DC.

MiccoMacey
12/24/2006, 02:10 PM
Very glad he was around when he was...did an admirable job in the situation given him. He will probably go down as one of the best "underappreciated" coaches ever.

It'd be neat to see how well he'd do as a HC when not followig a legend, and not starting your term off on probabtion. I'd like to see him get another chance.

soonerjoker
12/25/2006, 10:22 AM
agree !!!

Jason White's Third Knee
12/25/2006, 12:35 PM
With my hands!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm not gay.

BigRedJed
12/25/2006, 12:57 PM
Tough-as-nails player
Best DC ever at OU, and that includes Mike Stoops
Did what was asked of him and cleaned up the program
Not a "players' coach
Not good with media
Mediocre head coach
Nice career rebound
Loyal Sooner
Good personI defended Gary for years when people I knew were calling for his head. By the time he left, I thought it was the right thing, though. Somebody had it right when they said his successors made him look better than he was.

I'm not one of the people who think it's reasonable to expect the Sooners to win national championships every year. But I do think it's fair to expect them to contend most years, and win one or two a decade (even more would be OK with me!). That's what Barry did, and that's what Bob is doing. Gary was never going to do that. Consistent 7, 8 and 9 win seasons aren't good enough. Sorry.

But I felt that overall, he conducted himself with class in a tough, tough situation. He was out of his element as HC, and it showed.

I'm glad he's had a great career since, and wish him all the best. He's a great Sooner.

goingoneight
12/25/2006, 08:54 PM
He's not really my type. I like 'em female.