PDA

View Full Version : If you're Bob Stoops...

goingoneight
12/21/2006, 11:52 PM
And you have a game against the Ducks in Norman again, the oppurtunity comes up to score 100 points, do you do it? Or do you take knees like we did against Fran? The 77-0 game wasn't hating on Fran, as he was a n00b at the time in aTm, the players were saying they wanted to send the aggies players and fans back sore for the way they were treated in 2002 in College Station. Stoops eventually called off the troops, but going two four whole quarters holding aTm to 0 points isn't exactly holding off.

IMHO, sometimes you've got to put people in their place. Don't you think we could have quit scoring after about 35 against Tejas in 2000 and 2003? Sometimes you want justice, no matter how classy a coach you are. I still think Stoops has that in him. I never saw letting a team play and score as a bad thing, yet some people say "that's not nice" and "Stoops would run the score up on someone." Let me ask those same people from other programs and fanbases, do you think it's fair to tell a fourth-stringer, a guy who probably won't ever see game time again to kneel down with 15:00 of play left in a game? Why did he work his *** off in two-a-days and so forth to sit on an oppurtunity? Do you think people would have been Paul Thompson haters pre-2006 if they had 15:00 of video with PT kicking ***?

I just don't get why folks say running up the score when it comes to us, but when Vince Young stays in a game where he is ahead 62-0 in Asstin against Baylor, it's "good practice." Or when he's ahead by nearly 70 points against Colorado? To me leaving these guys in is fine if you don't mind your starters getting hurt, but telling someone they're running up the score is ridiculous when everyone who can do it, will do it.

8timechamps
12/21/2006, 11:59 PM
Nope. It wasn't the Oregon players fault. Nor was it Bilotti's (spelling?) for what happened. I think Bob is not the type of guy to look for revenge. If it happened (i.e. aTm), then so be it.

Even though the Oregon Coaches and fans called OU out after Bob made his case for the blown call, it still wasn't their fault. What would any team do in that situation? Give back the win? Not likely.

sooner_born_1960
12/22/2006, 12:02 AM
No. If we play Oregon again, Bob will be happy with 77.

tigepilot
12/22/2006, 12:07 AM
You show class by embarassing the opposing team further by putting in your second teamers thereby letting the opposting team know they've been slaughtered.

SoonerLB
12/22/2006, 12:13 AM
That game is the perfect example of why you score as many points as possible, at least to the point that the other team has no chance of catching up. Not giving consideration to bad calls, it was a glaring example of what happens when you sit on a lead and get conservative.

Texas Golfer
12/22/2006, 12:20 AM
I really don't know why we're having this discussion. We can't score enough points for it to be a consideration. After we jump out to early leads, we just seem to sit on those leads and hang on for dear life.

tigepilot
12/22/2006, 12:41 AM
I really don't know why we're having this discussion. We can't score enough points for it to be a consideration. After we jump out to early leads, we just seem to sit on those leads and hang on for dear life.

That's the only thing that worries me about Boise State. OU may have the ability to get a comfortable lead but will they actually do it?

Blues1
12/22/2006, 12:51 AM
JMHO - But I gotta think alot Of Coach Stoops THINKING was to Keep Paul Thompson safe from injury for the Season....Now we are in the LAST game of the Year I think WE Go All out......!!!

I Sure hope So...(Oklahoma 52 - BS State 22)
Guess we will see.....??

Sco
12/22/2006, 02:04 PM
The way Bob's been playing lately, he'd be happy with a 20 point spread.

85sooners
12/22/2006, 02:30 PM
just win!!!!!

fadada1
12/22/2006, 02:38 PM
you call off the dogs against the middle tenn states of the world.

you don't slow down against teams like a&m. they're suppose to be a top football program (even if they're down) and to field a team like they did in 2003 an insult to their fans (as insane as they are). we should've thrown the ball after that stunt jolly pulled in the fourth quarter and gone for 100.

if you're putting the "beat down" on another 1A team, they deserve it. look at the game of which we don't speak of. we deserved a beating with the way we played after the first drive. plain and simple.

stoopified
12/23/2006, 03:16 PM
I really don't know why we're having this discussion. We can't score enough points for it to be a consideration. After we jump out to early leads, we just seem to sit on those leads and hang on for dear life.You are exactly right TG.I have been saying the same thing for the last two years.If we have the lead at half we try to run the clock out in the second half.Prime examples Nu,Baylor,aTm, from '05,oSu,UO,aTm from '06.

CORNholio
12/24/2006, 04:53 PM
you call off the dogs against the middle tenn states of the world.

you don't slow down against teams like a&m. they're suppose to be a top football program (even if they're down) and to field a team like they did in 2003 an insult to their fans (as insane as they are). we should've thrown the ball after that stunt jolly pulled in the fourth quarter and gone for 100.

if you're putting the "beat down" on another 1A team, they deserve it. look at the game of which we don't speak of. we deserved a beating with the way we played after the first drive. plain and simple.
Exactly if the team is good enough to play in a BCS conference or in a BCS bowl game they have all the same resources and opportunites OU gets therefore they get no handicap. If a team is a consistant doormat, plays in a mid-major conference, has little to no football program, then they are at a disadvantage naturally and you pull punches after knocking them down. Its about having a fair fight. You wouldn't hit a guy in a wheelchair even if he was a total smart asz. But a smart *** with two good legs who just happens to be a little smaller than you still gets his asz whooped.