PDA

View Full Version : Ah Homeys Civil war thing has

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 10:29 PM
Caused me to bring up the Questions . Since we have so many that know everything about that period .
Who fired first ? when (as in date ) ? where and at what ?
Spek to the 1st one to get ir correct .

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 10:33 PM
Near as I can remember, the Confederates fired first on Ft. Sumter in South Carolina.

April 1961, right?

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2006, 10:40 PM
i thought they fired on the supply ship coming into the harbor at ft sumter

could be way off

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 10:41 PM
As could I.

Actually, I'm curious-do they teach military history in the armed forces? Like I'm sure they teach some in OCS, but do the enlisted get any?

Scott D
12/20/2006, 10:42 PM
The January 26, 1861 edition of Harper's Weekly featured the following illustration, showing the First Shot of the Civil War. The first shot was fired on January 10, 1861. It was fired by the South Carolinians on Morris Island. They fired on the Union Ship "Star of the West" as it attempted to reinforce Major Anderson at Fort Sumter.

There.

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2006, 10:42 PM
absolutely none unless your'e in a leadership school, and then the history is strictly "situational based"........i.e., joshua chamberlain on little round top

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 10:43 PM
absolutely none unless your'e in a leadership school, and then the history is strictly "situational based"........i.e., joshua chamberlain on little round top

Thanks. I didn't think there was necessarily a reason to teach it, but thought it would be neat if they did.

Scott D
12/20/2006, 10:44 PM
I can't speak for active duty, but I know that Naval History was part of my Naval Science curriculum in my jrotc classes in High School.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 10:44 PM
I imagine this thread is bringing back memories for olevet. He was probably on the dock waiting for that ship to come in. ;)

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2006, 10:45 PM
i got a small amount of military history during warrant officer candidate school, but it wasnt anything to write home about

we had to read a book from a list and write an essay on it......and watched several movies (military) and wrote essays on leadership

Scott D
12/20/2006, 10:45 PM
olevet remembers when the USS Constitution was being built ;)

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 10:50 PM
olevet remembers when the US Constitution was being written;)

Yeah, true.

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 11:00 PM
one or 2 are very close but not all have been answered yet . :P

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 11:02 PM
Oh and Scott is the closest so far spek Scott

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2006, 11:03 PM
scotts answer is the same thing as mine

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 11:09 PM
you only answered the at what, not when and by whom :P

Okla-homey
12/20/2006, 11:09 PM
Caused me to bring up the Questions . Since we have so many that know everything about that period .
Who fired first ? when (as in date ) ? where and at what ?
Spek to the 1st one to get ir correct .

First shot as memorialized on the campus of my alma mater:

"The Star of the West Monument is dedicated to the memory of the cadets who fired on the "Star of the West" at dawn on Jan 9, 1861 and to all Citadel graduates who have died in defense of their country. The granite monument was raised in the spring of 1961, 100 years after Citadel cadets fired on the federal supply ship from the northern point of Morris Island. A bronze plaque depicts the action. Cadets were chosen to man the 24-pound siege guns because they were the best-trained men in Charleston to fire the weapons. Inscribed on the monument are the names of those cadets who have won the Star of the West Medal for individual drill competition. The monument is located between Bond Hall and the central flagpole."

Cadet who pulled the lanyard in the first gun: George Haynesworth '62

second gun: Stephen Pickens '62

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 11:11 PM
First shot as memorialized on the campus of my alma mater:

"The Star of the West Monument is dedicated to the memory of the cadets who fired on the "Star of the West" at dawn on Jan 9, 1861 and to all Citadel graduates who have died in defense of their country. The granite monument was raised in the spring of 1961, 100 years after Citadel cadets fired on the federal supply ship from the northern point of Morris Island. A bronze plaque depicts the action. Cadets were chosen to man the 24-pound siege guns because they were the best-trained men in Charleston to fire the weapons. Inscribed on the monument are the names of those cadets who have won the Star of the West Medal for individual drill competition. The monument is located between Bond Hall and the central flagpole."

Cadet who pulled the lanyard in the first gun: George Haynesworth '62

second gun: Stephen Pickens '62
Ding ding , we have a winner !

olevetonahill
12/20/2006, 11:14 PM
heres the link
http://www.citadel.edu/r3/about/history/civilwar.shtml

Scott D
12/20/2006, 11:26 PM
Sorry olevet. I refuse to recognize the Citadel as anything other than an antiquated relic of Confederation Secession, and a patsy for SEC teams to try and make a claim that they should be MNC contenders ;)

Okla-homey
12/20/2006, 11:46 PM
Sorry olevet. I refuse to recognize the Citadel as anything other than an antiquated relic of Confederation Secession, and a patsy for SEC teams to try and make a claim that they should be MNC contenders ;)

We played aTm this year pally. We'll patsy for anyone who will share a big gate!

TUSooner
12/20/2006, 11:46 PM
I confess: I did it, and I'm sorry. So let's move on. :)

Okla-homey
12/20/2006, 11:47 PM
I confess: I did it, and I'm sorry. So let's move on. :)

Its cool. I think the statute of limitations on fomenting rebellion and treason is only 50 years.;)

olevetonahill
12/21/2006, 02:16 AM
Its Ok Scott , I pretty much respect everyones opinion , and would put the uniform on again to defend your right to have it :cool:

olevetonahill
12/21/2006, 05:24 AM
Im gonna go neg some nOObs cause I gotta YMSSRA . be for I spek ya again

CShine
12/21/2006, 05:55 AM
So everyone here agrees the South shot first. The South acted in treason, end of story. No one even doubts it.