View Full Version : New article about Tommy Grady's transfer

TheLurker
12/20/2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=061220_Sp_B1_ExSoo64748

Ex-Sooner's emotions mixed on transfer
By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer
12/20/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Tommy Grady admits it. He probably bailed too hastily on his University of Oklahoma football career.

Grady has reason to regret his August 2005 decision to leave the program -- every time he hears the Sooners are having trouble at quarterback.

It has happened twice since he transferred to the University of Utah, which plays Tulsa in Saturday's Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl.

Grady will be on the sideline in Fort Worth, backing up Utah starting quarterback Brett Ratliff.

Had Grady stayed in Norman, he might have gotten a chance in 2005 when Paul Thompson and Rhett Bomar had trouble getting the Sooner offense untracked.

Or he might have become the starter this past season -- after Bomar was dismissed in the summer for breaking NCAA rules by accepting payment for work he didn't do.

The job fell to Thompson almost by default because he was the only experienced quarterback left in the program. Thompson led the Sooners to a Big 12 championship and a berth in the Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl against Boise State.

"It's kind of hard to say you don't regret (leaving Oklahoma) because it's one of the huge names in college football, and there are a bunch of great players there," he said. "I do regret it a
Tulsa World Sports Extra
little."

Grady was nearly 900 miles away when the Bomar story broke, but that kind of news travels fast.

"I was getting a lot of calls from people saying I should come back. But I like it here," the fourth-year junior said.

He likes his new school, even if things haven't worked out with the Utes like he had hoped.

Grady competed for the starting job in the spring, but the coaching staff gave most of the repetitions with the first and second teams to Ratliff, who won his only starts in 2005 after taking over for an injured Brian Johnson.

Ratliff beat archrival Brigham Young in the final regular-season game of 2005 and had a record-setting performance against Georgia Tech in the Emerald Bowl. He has started all 12 games for the 7-5 Utes in 2006, but has been most effective in the last five games, throwing for an average of 278.4 yards.

Grady has played in seven games, completing 7-of-14 passes for 102 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.

"I got more of a chance to play at Oklahoma than I've gotten here," he said.

"Tommy got put in some tough situations this year," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "Each time we inserted him in the ball game, it wasn't an ideal circumstance. He didn't fare as well as he would have hoped. He's a very talented kid. He didn't get a chance to get in football games with a few expectations at opportune times. He was always put in difficult circumstances."

Grady's experience with the Utes seems to have mellowed him on the incident that caused him to leave OU.

He fell behind Bomar and Thompson in 2005 when he was held out of preseason drills to complete a three-hour course necessary to remain academically eligible.

At the time, Grady thought he was being treated unfairly. Now, he says the Sooner coaching staff "handled the situation the right way."

"Now that I've been around another program, I understand a little better how things work," he said.

Even now, Grady would probably have a better chance to play in Norman next year. The most experienced returning quarterback (Joey Halzle) has thrown two varsity passes.

At Utah, Grady will probably have to beat out Johnson, who starred in 10 games in 2005 before injuring his knee, throwing for 2,892 yards and 18 touchdowns.

"I've never gotten a chance on the field. I need to get on the field," Grady said.

Mike Brown 581-8390
[email protected]

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/20/2006, 05:41 PM
We shoulda just made him a wide reciever. :D

birddog
12/20/2006, 05:42 PM
tough luck fella. the grass is always greener...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2006, 06:18 PM
graduate in may and you can come back dude.

Blues1
12/20/2006, 07:46 PM
Once again think about all PT went through...and HE Stayed....This just makes PT's story at OU even better.....

One who quit -- And One who Kept Rockin'

Rogue
12/20/2006, 07:52 PM
So, this kid who is 2nd string at Utah thinks he'd be a shoe-in starter at Oklahoma?

birddog
12/20/2006, 07:54 PM
probably figured if thompson can do it, it must be easy.:rolleyes:

crazy kids and their hasty decisions...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2006, 08:00 PM
If he transfers back to OU, will he be eligible again by '08?

Widescreen
12/20/2006, 08:04 PM
If he graduates, he'd be eligible in 07. I'm pretty sure we don't want him at this point.

Sooner-N-KS
12/20/2006, 08:15 PM
He has 102 yds, 1 TD and 3 INT's.........I don't think we want him.

MamaMia
12/20/2006, 08:45 PM
Everything happens for a reason.

OK2LA
12/20/2006, 08:46 PM
Didn't he come in for mop up duty in TGWWDNSO?

FlatheadSooner
12/20/2006, 10:41 PM
He has 102 yds, 1 TD and 3 INT's.........I don't think we want him.

Kind of makes Bob & Co. decisions look all the wiser, eh!?

:)

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 10:46 PM
Didn't he come in for mop up duty in TGWWDNSO?

ojhawofiwhjfoawiehjf :D What are you talking about ;)???

Texas Golfer
12/20/2006, 10:55 PM
Once again think about all PT went through...and HE Stayed....This just makes PT's story at OU even better.....

One who quit -- And One who Kept Rockin'

I agree. PT has always put the Sooners above everything else. Although Grady may have gotten the nod over PT (since he was moved to WR) but I don't think Grady would have taken us any farther than did PT.

jacru
12/20/2006, 10:58 PM
winners never quit.... and stuff.

Alum81
12/20/2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=061220_Sp_B1_ExSoo64748

At the time, Grady thought he was being treated unfairly. Now, he says the Sooner coaching staff "handled the situation the right way."

"Now that I've been around another program, I understand a little better how things work," he said.

Hey, isn't the grass greener over there?

Bruiser53
12/21/2006, 02:03 PM
"At the time, Grady thought he was being treated unfairly. Now, he says the Sooner coaching staff "handled the situation the right way."

"Now that I've been around another program, I understand a little better how things work," he said."

That is a pretty telling quote, in my opinion, about his imaturity. With Grady at qb this year, we would be missing leadership and PT's talent. We would be looking at a few more losses I believe and a trip to the www.Icantfindacoach.com Aggy Bowl in Shreveport.

Stoop Dawg
12/21/2006, 02:17 PM
So, this kid who is 2nd string at Utah thinks he'd be a shoe-in starter at Oklahoma?

I don't see where he said that. He said he got more of an opportunity at OU than he did at Utah.

Career decisions are hard.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/21/2006, 02:22 PM
ojhawofiwhjfoawiehjf :D What are you talking about ;)???
I think he means the 05 Orange Bowl. You know, the one against USC. :)

Vaevictis
12/21/2006, 02:46 PM

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None whatsoever.

Desert Sapper
12/21/2006, 02:58 PM

Well, in that case, TGOWWDNS is the appropriate ridiculously long string of letters. And that game never happened. It is a myth.;)