PDA

View Full Version : Up Date on Coach Long....

Blues1
12/20/2006, 04:58 PM
Since Things are a little Slow right now --- Heres a up-date on our former Offensive Coach....

For San Diego State I hope things will be on the up-Swing... Since 'The Chargers' are having such a great Pro Season probably took a little heat off what was going on at the college.....

From Yahoo Sports....

FAST FORWARD: The Aztecs were not ready for coach Chuck Long's physical demands as the 18 players lost for the season and myriad other injuries will attest. That's been the constant obstacle at San Diego State. If the Aztecs can get through the physical demands he imposes for an entire season, they have the talent to compete with anybody in the conference. The Aztecs lose only one starting skill player on offense wide receiver Ramal Porter and will return three quarterbacks with starting experience. On defense, they must replace six starters, including Martin, but have a pretty good foundation for next season with DE Antwan Applewhite and S Ray Bass. Long made some rookie mistakes going conservative on offense that resulted in a loss to Cal Poly and not reinserting a healthy Kevin O'Connell sooner, but as he grows, so will the program. A bowl contender next season is not out of the realm of possibilities, and if that happens, watch out in 2008.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I need to instill better confidence in them next year and I will do that. I need to start to develop leadership and start that as soon as possible. From year one to year two you have to continue to work hard in the weight room. This is not an overnight deal. We have some work to do, there is no question about that. We haven't had an established quarterback all year and that makes a big difference." Coach Chuck Long.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
PLAYERS TO WATCH IN 2007: RB Atiyyah Henderson had a five-game stretch in which he averaged 112 yards per game before the pounding of being the starter took its toll on the diminutive back. Coach Chuck Long said Henderson should be much better next season after going through the team's conditioning program.

Still R'

yermom
12/20/2006, 05:11 PM
18 players? dang, what kinda meat grinder is he running out there?

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 05:14 PM
Probably a bunch of 5 star pre-Madonnas.

westcoast_sooner
12/20/2006, 05:15 PM
Dunno about all that "bowl contender next year" stuff. My son said he went to watch one of their games, since he lives down there. Said he thought a lot of high schools could beat them.

Landthief 1972
12/20/2006, 05:37 PM
Long made some rookie mistakes going conservative on offense that resulted in a loss to Cal Poly

Ummm, that's no rookie mistake - he was doing that every year at OU. :D

SoonerLB
12/20/2006, 05:50 PM
My thoughts exactly Landthief! You said just what I intended to.

OUFAN29
12/20/2006, 06:39 PM
Dunno about all that "bowl contender next year" stuff. My son said he went to watch one of their games, since he lives down there. Said he thought a lot of high schools could beat them.

We went ot the SDSU/UTEP game which was opening day and the fans were very dissappointed in his play calling. Granted, down here football is not the #1 priority in life but they expected a lot more from him being from OU. We wore our OU shirts and fans asked us to take him back.