PDA

View Full Version : Grobe AP COY

Sooner in Tampa
12/20/2006, 02:50 PM
By RALPH D. RUSSO
NEW YORK (AP) -Jim Grobe held Wake Forest together after a couple of potentially devastating injuries, refused to let his players feel sorry for themselves and turned the perennially downtrodden Demon Deacons into champions.
For orchestrating one of the most surprising turnarounds in college football - and the best season in Wake Forest's 105-year football history - Grobe was honored as The Associated Press Coach of the Year on Wednesday.
"I can't put into words how satisfying it's been," Grobe said in a recent phone interview. "It's just now that we're starting to appreciate what we've done and to enjoy it a little bit."
In his sixth season at Wake Forest, Grobe took the Demon Deacons (11-2) from worst to first in the Atlantic Coast Conference without their starting quarterback and top tailback. Wake Forest set a school record for victories and won the ACC for the first time in 36 years.
"This is one football team that appreciates the opportunity to go to a bowl game and especially appreciates the opportunity to play in the Orange Bowl," Grobe said.
if ((typeof tag300_4) == 'function') {tag300_4();} The 54-year-old Grobe beat out a strong group of contenders for coach of the year, receiving 39 of 65 votes from the AP Top 25 voters.
Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, who took the once-laughable Scarlet Knights within a victory of the Bowl Championship Series, finished second with 12 votes. Oklahoma's Bob Stoops was third with six votes. Ohio State's Jim Tressel received three votes. Arkansas' Houston Nutt got two votes. Boise State's Chris Petersen, Louisville's Bobby Petrino and first-year Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema each received one vote.

Blues1
12/20/2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry Coach Stoops was 3rd - But you gotta hand it to the Wake Forest Coach...At least some guy like Carroll didn't win it,,,,,, :)

R'

Sooner in Tampa
12/20/2006, 02:57 PM
I just don't know if Wake was that good or the ACC was that bad.

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 03:10 PM
I just don't know if Wake was that good or the ACC was that bad.

That's my deal too. I'm no expert on strength of schedules but to me, it looked like Rutgers had a tougher row to hoe and ultimately had a more impressive season.

NormanPride
12/20/2006, 03:28 PM
Wake winning the ACC is still a marvel. If any of the top 3 had won, you couldn't argue. I certainly wouldn't trade Stoops for anyone, and that's all that matters.