PDA

View Full Version : Stoops' press conference today

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 02:01 PM
Gettin' a lil testy about the whole 'names on jerseys' issue. Told Tramel to "get 85,000 fans to say they want the names back & I'll think about it"

:pop:

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 02:01 PM
Where do I sign?

OU4LIFE
12/20/2006, 02:03 PM
he said "fans", Pat.

OUDoc
12/20/2006, 02:07 PM
In.

OUinFLA
12/20/2006, 02:09 PM
Im in

OU4LIFE
12/20/2006, 02:11 PM
out.

I'm sure he did it for a reason, and it sure seems to be working, I'm not messing with the mojo.

dougsooner
12/20/2006, 02:11 PM
Let's compromise and go with nicknames. "He hate me" has already been done though....

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 02:15 PM
He said he hadn't heard of anyone not liking the nameless jerseys.
Tramel said he had heard from plenty. Stoops said "how many", Tramel said "hundreds".

So Stoops said "Everyone I've talked to said they liked the nameless jerseys"
(like anyone's gonna go 'Yo, Stoops - lose the nameless jerseys')
and mentioned that there's "85,000 in the stands who don't seem to mind it"

they went back & forth a little and Stoops told Tramel he should make a poll and if he gets 85,000 people to say they want the names back, "well then I'll think about it"

:)

Widescreen
12/20/2006, 02:19 PM
We should just move to XFL jerseys and get it over with.

sooner518
12/20/2006, 02:21 PM
hahahaha thats awesome. personally, i could care less. Its the coach's call.

OKLA21FAN
12/20/2006, 02:22 PM

now there is an idea

JiuJitsuSooner
12/20/2006, 02:23 PM
Berry: Any chance of putting the names back on the jerseys?

Bob: Why?

Berry: Because the fans dont like it.

Bob: How many you talk to?

Berry: Over a hundred.

Bob: Well there are 85,000 fans in the stands, if you get me a poll saying they all do not like it then we will change it.

Berry: You cant see it very well...

Bob: Shouldnt you know the numbers.

Deano: Some people are complaining that they need the names on the back of the jerseys to indetify the players

Stoops: Well, most know what numbers the players wear. Bud Wilkinson's teams didn't have names on the jerseys

Deano: But they had black and white TV back then

Stoops: What, you can't read on black and white?

BoonesFarmSooner
I'll gladly be a part of that 85k

RedStripe
I would like the names on the jerseys but I would not sign the poll because I think tramel is a di|do.

Okieflyer
12/20/2006, 02:25 PM
Names? Yes!

Heck the names were on there before "SOONERS" was put on thier chest!

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 02:27 PM
Berry: Any chance of putting the names back on the jerseys?

Bob: Why?

Berry: Because the fans dont like it.

Bob: How many you talk to?

Berry: Over a hundred.

Bob: Well there are 85,000 fans in the stands, if you get me a poll saying they all do not like it then we will change it.

Berry: You cant see it very well...

Bob: Shouldnt you know the numbers.

Deano: Some people are complaining that they need the names on the back of the jerseys to indetify the players

Stoops: Well, most know what numbers the players wear. Bud Wilkinson's teams didn't have names on the jerseys

ya had to get all literal on me, didn't you. ;)

after he said "What, you can't read on black and white?" he goes "So, did they have black lettering on black jerseys or something?" :D He's pretty funny sometimes

RedStripe
12/20/2006, 02:28 PM

This is gold Jerry GOLD!!

Fugue
12/20/2006, 02:29 PM

now there is an idea

that's a great idea, my pillvatar would frighten and confuse the competition.

EstablishedSooner1967
12/20/2006, 02:31 PM
Count me in; F- Stoops... The non joking.... quit taking thing so F-ing seriously coach...
I pay your salary with my donations, my 4 seats and the merchandise I buy... I have a say in it and I am count as 4 votes one of each of my seats...
And, while we are on it.... I want the color of the jersey change to match the helmets... and I want the names on the back.. or YOUR FIRED! LOL....

n8v_ndn
12/20/2006, 02:31 PM
I thought the official explanation was Nike--in all its infinite power and resources--couldn't get nameplates that worked with the jersey material. Some nameplates were not the right size (too small?) or they didn't adhere correctly or something.

Nike's To Do List:
1) Redesign Oregon's unis--(MAKE UGLIER!)
2) Redesign Oregon's helmet--(MAKE UGLIER!)
3) Unveil Webbed Foot™ cleat for Oregon team
18) Figure out Oklahoma's nameplate issue--(TALK TO UNDER ARMOR)

picasso
12/20/2006, 02:33 PM
I knew all season who the players are and I'm not even a football nerd.

He should have asked Tramel why he always looks like he's on sleeping pills.

OhU1
12/20/2006, 02:37 PM
You can be assured that the no names on the back of the jersey has to do with $$$$ one way or the other and has nothing to do with what fans want.

85sooners
as long as we are winning leave the muthers alone

colleyvillesooner
exactly. Who cares.

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 02:38 PM
Sometimes a player would make a play, and I didn't know who it was. But that's my fault for not learning them beforehand.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/20/2006, 02:41 PM
that's a great idea, my pillvatar would frighten and confuse the competition.

:les: MINE WOULD KILL TEH HORSEPIGS!!!

PLZKTHX.

Blues1
12/20/2006, 02:43 PM
Don't change nothing....11 and 2 --(12 and 1) -- Screw the names....KEEP it Simple....We had a Magic Season -- Don't change it now....!!!
Stay Rockin' Coach Stoops.....

OhU1
12/20/2006, 02:44 PM
Exactly, we are 11-2 because there are no names on the back of the uniform. Don't change it.

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 02:44 PM
NO NAMES!

Stoops is the man

mrowl
12/20/2006, 02:47 PM

PLEASE TELL me Stoops really said this, that is AWESOME!!!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/20/2006, 02:47 PM
Why turn this into ****ing match? It was a TEAM decision (whether it was Stoops mandated or not) and was done as a direct result of too many individuals putting themselves before the team. (And yes, making the decision easier for Stoops was that they were having a problem getting the lettering right for the new jerseys. He said as much...) That should be good enough for the fans, and it should be good enough for the media.

What difference do the names make? Anyone not know what number Paul Thompson is? Peterson? Alexander? The fact is we all know the numbers by the second or third game of the season. And those that are even a little more into it know the numbers by rote memory by the time fall camp breaks.

Let me put it to you this way: Can any of you very top row upper deck patrons make out the names on the back of the jersey's with your naked eye? How about the numbers?

This debate, especially as raised by a mediocre scribe and a 70-30 hack is absolutely pointless. Especially when, for all they know, Stoops might have been planning to get names back on next year anyway. They just decided they were going to bait him. And it is because they are PRICKS. Both of 'em could give two poops about "what the fans want."

And I do like the old school feel of no names, and I wouldn't mind even a little bit if they took SOONERS off the front. People know who we are. That's why we don't have to chant "We Are" like some of these other self-important auto-fellating so-called institutions.

It worked though, didn't it. I just wrote an awful lot of words in response to their stupid line of questioning.

....and that is all I have to say about that...

soonersam
12/20/2006, 02:50 PM
That first week of the season was hard.... Great tackle # 11?

EstablishedSooner1967
12/20/2006, 02:51 PM
"The bottomline is, I don't think Oklahoma can win the Big 12 South, the Big 12 Championship, or go to a BCS game this year, because of the QB position."
-Mark May, 9/2/06

"With Paul Thompson at QB, Oklahoma will not win the Big 12."
-Lee Corso 9/2/06

Nice I have never see these before... I can not stand these two guys!

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2006, 02:54 PM
in -

me = 1 of 85000

Paperclip
12/20/2006, 02:54 PM

I'm pretty sure #11 didn't tackle anyone until game 5 or so.

;)

MiccoMacey
12/20/2006, 02:55 PM
"The bottomline is, I don't think Oklahoma can win the Big 12 South, the Big 12 Championship, or go to a BCS game this year, because they don't have names on the back of their jerseys."
-Mark May, 9/2/06

"Without names on the back of their jerseys, Oklahoma will not win the Big 12."
-Lee Corso 9/2/06

Fixed. :D

mrowl
12/20/2006, 02:55 PM
I don't care... but would rather have

2 of 85000

soonerboy_odanorth
12/20/2006, 02:56 PM

Yup. But we all know who 11 is now. And largely because of his emergence we are stockpiled at DB now.

Widescreen
12/20/2006, 02:56 PM
It's stuff like this that make me wonder how on earth Blevins still does Stoops' show.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/20/2006, 02:58 PM
PLEASE TELL me Stoops really said this, that is AWESOME!!!

If you read it on the internet, it must be true.

stoopified
12/20/2006, 03:01 PM
I never thought I would say this ever but I AGREE WITH TRAMEL.Count me as a season ticketholder who wants the names.Tramel is still an idiot,and now I have to gargle with paint thinner after saying I agree with him.

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 03:02 PM
It's stuff like this that make me wonder how on earth Blevins still does Stoops' show.

I wonder that myself every time I hear Stoops respond to Blevins in a presser.

HateTheWhorns
12/20/2006, 03:07 PM
You can be assured that the no names on the back of the jersey has to do with $$$$ one way or the other and has nothing to do with what fans want.

You're right. Boy Scout Troop #138 complained to Bob that program sales have been lagging so Bob came up with an easy solution to help them out.

Partial Qualifier
12/20/2006, 03:43 PM
Why turn this into ****ing match?

It doesn't seem like a ****ing match but it is our right as fans to debate a sudden & very noticable change to our beloved Sooner uniforms. I mean, right?

What difference do the names make? Anyone not know what number Paul Thompson is? Peterson? Alexander?

It's not about that but for argument's sake, quick: what's Branndon Braxton's #? Brandon Walker? Mike Cohen? Ian Pleasant?

I bet if your name isn't Bob Stoops and you confidentially asked the players what their preference is, almost 100% would want the names.
On natl. TV 13 times a year, etc.? oh yeah. Just a hunch. But I agree, perhaps this is the mentality which the coaches wanted to subdue.

The average upper-deck ticketholder = no big loss but televised games, name exposure, etc. it makes a difference. How many times did Chris Brown get called Allen Patrick? How many times did the announcers screw up someone's name because they guessed first & checked the roster later?

I wouldn't mind even a little bit if they took SOONERS off the front.

BOO! ;)

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 03:48 PM
How many times did Chris Brown get called Allen Patrick? How many times did the announcers screw up someone's name because they guessed first & checked the roster later?

I don't think that many people listen to the radio broadcast anyway.

:D

Jimminy Crimson
12/20/2006, 03:54 PM
Keep 'em off.

It helps separate the true fans from the bandwagon fans. :texan:

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/20/2006, 03:55 PM
I say no names. My thinking is:

A: from the stands, if you dont already know the number, can you really read the name on back....only if they have their back to you, and they are on your end of the field....and the announcer is going to give you the name prolly before you see it on the big screen.

B. same thing on tv. The announcer is going to give the name before they show the back of the player close enough to read the name.

that being said, the first game we were tearing the program apart getting names.

batonrougesooner
12/20/2006, 04:06 PM
At first I was against not having names. Now I don't care.

If after the first or second game you can't tell who the players are, you haven't been paying attention. A name on the back of the jersey wouldn't really help much.

I kind of like the cleaner look of no names myself.

Beef
12/20/2006, 04:23 PM
Exactly, we are 11-2 because there are no names on the back of the uniform. Don't change it.
I thought we were 11-2 because of excellent football players and superior coaching. ;)

OhU1
12/20/2006, 05:09 PM
I thought we were 11-2 because of excellent football players and superior coaching. ;)

Beef you are not a very logical man. 1. No names on the back of the jersey in 2006. 2. We are 11-2 in 2006. Thus, it follows that the 11-2 record is caused by said lack of names on the back of the jersey. Hello? 8-4 in 2005 with names, 11-2 without. :rolleyes:

birddog
12/20/2006, 05:23 PM
i kind of like identifying players by their numbers. i've always had to look at the names after plays and never could figure who the player was by the number that is 10x larger.

i think the names take away from the number. but i really think this is a stupid issue. our uni's are the best in the country either way.

BOOOOOMER!!

SleestakSooner
12/20/2006, 05:26 PM
I knew all season who the players are and I'm not even a football nerd.

He should have asked Tramel why he always looks like he's on sleeping pills.

I have it on good authority (no not Dean Blevin's connection) that Tramel is tight with Rush Limbaugh... :pop:

Collier11
12/20/2006, 06:07 PM

Two things: This is classic Stoops, I love it. Funny stuff!!! Second, Dean strikes again. This guy is such a joke as a reporter....seriously, he sounds like a complete tool everytime he opens his mouth. Is he going to **** off venables next?/ He might get his azz kicked then

Collier11
12/20/2006, 06:08 PM
Also, if you arent a good enough fan to know which player is which then oh well...If stoops doesnt want them then it shouldnt matter really

SoonerLB
12/20/2006, 06:26 PM
Not all fans are young with sharp memories you know. I readily admit that sometimes I forget who is who (mostly I have trouble with players coming off the bench that are not on the field a lot), and anyone that calls me a "not good enough fan" is going to get some immediate face time. That's bull**** saying someone is not a good enough fan because they can't remember who all the players are.
Now I guess it's no secret that I would like to see the names back on.

Aries
12/20/2006, 06:37 PM
It is freakin' ridiculous that anyone would suggest that your opinion on names/no names says anything at all about what kind of fan you are.

All_Day_28
12/20/2006, 06:45 PM
I agree with the previous 2 post 100%

SleestakSooner
12/20/2006, 06:47 PM
We should use reverse psychology on Castiglione... let him think we like the jerseys sans nomenclature and he is sure to put the names back on! [/conspiracy]

Collier11
12/20/2006, 07:19 PM
Not all fans are young with sharp memories you know. I readily admit that sometimes I forget who is who (mostly I have trouble with players coming off the bench that are not on the field a lot), and anyone that calls me a "not good enough fan" is going to get some immediate face time.

Then its not like you would remember my name anyways...;)
Ill take back what I said though, I dont mean that you arent a good fan...what I should have said is that if Stoops thinks its appropriate for whatever reason, then we should be ok with that because we as OU fans trust him

SoonerGators
12/20/2006, 07:20 PM
I was originally opposed to not having names on the back...but I have made a complete 180. Please, NO NAMES. It looks better, a lot better. If this is your team and you love your team you should know who every single player is and what number they wear. Sorry to all the donors who don't come cause its cold or leave early cause they have better things to do...but learn who the players are and you won't have to worry about not having names. Plenty of other teams don't have names on the backs and they're doing just fine.

Collier11
12/20/2006, 07:21 PM
I just feel like we as OU fans have it really good and too many choose to b*tch and moan over irrelevant stuff. Im really frustrated by the whole student seat issue at LNC, when they cry over fans not being there and now Sherri has 10 grand coming each game, they choose to penalize the students because donors dont want us standing up at a game. Get real, I know this is for another forum, but if you go to a game whether it is football or bball or whatever, you are there to cheer.

Rogue
12/20/2006, 07:48 PM
I'm for the names on the jerseys.
I'm against not having the names on the jerseys.
I'm for Bob Stoops usually but I want the names back.
Dammit.

SoonerStud615
12/20/2006, 07:50 PM
no thanks. i think the nameless jerseys look good.

Blues1
12/20/2006, 08:22 PM
To Me NOT having a Name makes the players Jersey even more important....

I will never Forget Tommy McDonald as Number 25 or Clendon Thomas as Number 35 etc....And I wish I could Forget seeing the jersey that said BOMAR Number 7...
And Because Boise State has been looking at a ton of OU Films -- I'd Like to see the "Throw Back Uniforms" in The Fiesta Bowl just to screw with the Minds of Boise State....... :)
Keep R'

bluesmagoo
12/20/2006, 08:30 PM
Tramel is an idiot. I admit the jersey's looked strange early on this season, but if Stoops doesn't want the names, so be it. Tramel is an idiot.

sendbaht
12/20/2006, 08:31 PM
I like the names but it is a team sport, so have to go with the No Names on back. Really, as long as we win they can have their girlfriends names and for the USC players their boyfriends on the back I don't care, just win.

MamaMia
12/20/2006, 08:40 PM
Maybe Coach Stoops could compromise and allow the names on the pants? :)

FlatheadSooner
12/20/2006, 10:51 PM
I think the nameless jerseys are in a direction of goodness - especially after the last few years where there seemed to be an attitude of "I deserve to win".

What's the big deal? We have to memorize the numbers? What a stretch!

The announcers usually fill in the names for us on key plays.

Also, the offsetting colors of jerseys vs. helmets is also making us unique from Arkie Pigs and Hoosier copycats.

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 11:16 PM
OH MY FREAKIN GAWD I DON'T SEE A NUMBER!!! WHO TEH HELL IS DIS??? :eek:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041113/041113_jason_white_vmed_7p.vlarge.jpg

Texas Golfer
12/20/2006, 11:17 PM
I think they should remove the numbers, too. That way everyone is surprised all of the time. The opposing defenses wouldn't know whether to sh!t or go blind.

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 11:26 PM
I think they should remove the numbers, too. That way everyone is surprised all of the time. The opposing defenses wouldn't know whether to sh!t or go blind.
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/03/08/guiness-inside.jpg
BRILLIANT!!! :D

TUSooner
12/20/2006, 11:56 PM
Was that the only question at the press conference? Did anybody mention the game?

And BTW, the REAL reason behind the no-names deal is to confuse BB Sr so much that he will finally throw in the towel and retire. When he's gone; the names will be back.

Collier11
12/21/2006, 12:00 AM
And BTW, the REAL reason behind the no-names deal is to confuse BB Sr so much that he will finally throw in the towel and retire. When he's gone; the names will be back.

Dont tease me...:D

Vaevictis
12/21/2006, 12:30 AM
How many times did Chris Brown get called Allen Patrick? How many times did the announcers screw up someone's name because they guessed first & checked the roster later?

Hell, they do that with the names.

I seem to remember that in one game, the announcer called out "Antonio Perkins" every time AD carried the ball for the first quarter or two.

jbstrick
12/21/2006, 12:41 AM
too many choose to b*tch and moan over irrelevant stuff.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Lets give all the players cute little stickers that say "Hi, My Name is Rufus".

I can barely see the numbers, much less the names. =)

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2006, 12:42 AM
Personally in all my years of watching football I usually know the player by their number even with the names. It's far easier to see the numbers and I am not a moron, so I can remember who's who.

I like names on the opponents' jerseys though...makes it easier to come up with obcene bastardizations of their names to yell at the TV and spout off on messageboards.

Doged
12/21/2006, 12:44 AM
[conspiracy theorist] No names on the jersey means no name recognition for the players, which is why no Sooners won any hardware this season! [/conspiracy theorist] :D

I much prefer the names, but it's not exactly a deal breaker. Putting Sooners across the front I do like and have since they did it.

Ash
12/21/2006, 12:47 AM
Hilarious that, of all things, the Stoops presser thread is 4+ pages of debate about whether names should be on the jersey.

Egeo
12/21/2006, 12:53 AM
Keep 'em off.

It helps separate the true fans from the bandwagon fans. :texan:
i concur - i may not know all the numbers off the top of my head but when i see what # is playing what position i can usually put 2 and 2 together.

if you want to be a fan of Oklahoma players, you can atleast freaking remember their names
*just look at this a few times and you'll pretty much have it
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

the only time i have trouble, is in the spring when everyone changes their numbers

Soonerus
12/21/2006, 12:59 AM
Put the names on the jerseys, its not like they do not have the budget to buy new jerseys each year...

All_Day_28
12/21/2006, 01:59 AM
i concur - i may not know all the numbers off the top of my head but when i see what # is playing what position i can usually put 2 and 2 together.

if you want to be a fan of Oklahoma players, you can atleast freaking remember their names
*just look at this a few times and you'll pretty much have it
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

the only time i have trouble, is in the spring when everyone changes their numbers
not all fans have enough time to sit down and memorize the players names.. it doesn't make you a bandwagon fan because you don't know everyones number.. I personally do know most of the players, the ones that play anyway, so I am not speaking about myself..

Collier11
12/21/2006, 02:02 AM
not all fans have enough time to sit down and memorize the players names.. it doesn't make you a bandwagon fan because you don't know everyones number.. I personally do know most of the players, the ones that play anyway, so I am not speaking about myself..

If you are a fan of any team, whether you are a hard core fan or just a OU fan in general, you should know who is playing for your team. That doesnt make you a bad fan, but I honestly think it shows a level of commitment to your team

Collier11
12/21/2006, 02:03 AM
I work full time and go to college but I still know who plays for my Sooners, Chiefs, and Cardinals without looking at their jerseys

Sam Spade
12/21/2006, 05:01 AM
I don't care if the names are on the jersey's.

I have the superhuman ability to associate the numbers with their corresponding names and let my brain make the connection. It's what separates me from mere mortals.

Fraggle145
12/21/2006, 05:21 AM
I personally liked the names. I have always hated the "Sooners" on the front just because every team we play already knows who is about to kick their ***... Personally my favorites were the throwback uni's. Every other team that has names on the front S. U. C. K. S. Ark (ok maybe not this year and their uniform changes more often than a Cartman's mom gives head), SoCar, I cant think of them all. JMHO

Texas Golfer
12/21/2006, 08:38 AM
The names on the backs are not for the fans, it's for the opponents who turn around real fast to see who just blazed by them as they say, "Who the fu<k was that?!?"

85Sooner
12/21/2006, 09:20 AM
This is one that IMO makes Stoops look Stoooopid

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/21/2006, 09:46 AM
I just feel like we as OU fans have it really good and too many choose to b*tch and moan over irrelevant stuff. Im really frustrated by the whole student seat issue at LNC, when they cry over fans not being there and now Sherri has 10 grand coming each game, they choose to penalize the students because donors dont want us standing up at a game. Get real, I know this is for another forum, but if you go to a game whether it is football or bball or whatever, you are there to cheer.

yeah, but just think, after you graduate YOU can be the donor that thinks because he donates more money that he is the superior fan and should get to do anything he wants.

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/21/2006, 09:50 AM
I have not seen it mentioned in any previous post, but how about putting RB #28, or WR #1 ....on the backs of the jerseys.

Partial Qualifier
12/21/2006, 09:56 AM
Hate to say it but I'm on the fence on this deal. I'm used to these jerseys now, it's not bad-looking, don't mess with the mojo, trust Stoops. Totally down with all that. Other big, tradition-rich programs do it: PSU, ND, SC..

But I still miss seeing the names. :O I votes yes to the names but either way, it's all good as long as we keep winning

OUmillenium
12/21/2006, 09:58 AM
Yes, names on Jersey, see previous threads for reasons

crimson&cream
12/21/2006, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=EstablishedSooner1967]Count me in; F- Stoops... The non joking.... quit taking thing so F-ing seriously coach...
I pay your salary with my donations, my 4 seats and the merchandise I buy... I have a say in it and I am count as 4 votes one of each of my seats...
And, while we are on it.... I want the color of the jersey change to match the helmets... and I want the names on the back.. or YOUR FIRED! LOL....[/QUOTE
Well Geez here, I help pay Stoops salary so by God I want the names back on the jersey's and he just better do what "YOU" want. LMAO I'll bet he'll get right on it because you want it and may fire him.LOL

crimson&cream
12/21/2006, 11:34 AM
This is one that IMO makes Stoops look Stoooopid
I think you should attend a press conference and tell that he's stupid about no names on jersey's! I'll bet he'll then get right on what "YOU" want.

blackbeauty02
12/21/2006, 11:40 AM
I stand behind Stoop's all the way. That is unless he changes our uniforms to pink and has them wearing tu-tu's.

Crimsontothecore
12/21/2006, 11:43 AM
I think they should remove the numbers as well. REAL fans would know the players by their eye color, manorisms and walk.
Think of how fun it would be watching the referee's call a penalty:
"False start on the offense...uh..the big guy there on the left, right next to that other big guy who's talking to the other big guy...10 yard penalty, repeat second down"

Sam Spade
12/21/2006, 12:53 PM
I stand behind Stoop's all the way. That is unless he changes our uniforms to pink and has them wearing tu-tu's.

What if he did that and then we went undefeated and won the NC?

;)

Partial Qualifier
12/21/2006, 12:56 PM
retire the tutus; hang 'em on the practice field fence :)

Soonerman08
12/21/2006, 12:59 PM
What the hell does it matter people? It is a team sport not an individual sport. I don't really give a damn if there are names or aren't names on the jerseys. The only name that matters is what is on the front of the jersey, and I mean as long as the players are playing collectively and the defense and offense are doing their jobs and winning then who the hell cares? Sheesh don't lose sleep over this.

Sooner in Tampa
12/21/2006, 01:18 PM
I can't believe that this is being discussed STILL. Damn...the athletic department and Bob have agreed on this. To bitch about this AFTER the season is basically over is kind of stoopid. I just don't get what all the complaining is about...it was difficult to get used to in the first of couple of games...but I got over it. I went on line and printed off a roster...it really was a pretty simple fix.

Partial Qualifier
12/21/2006, 01:26 PM
Who the hell's bitching?

Nobody's calling for Stoops' head or really complaining, that I can tell.

The only people bitching are bitching about the fact people are talking about it, except for the back-&-forth about someone questioning a fan's integrity or "bandwagon" status for their opinion on this.

Of course if voicing different opinions = bitching to you, then please continue your bitching about the bitching :)

Bourbon St Sooner
12/21/2006, 01:34 PM
Beef you are not a very logical man. 1. No names on the back of the jersey in 2006. 2. We are 11-2 in 2006. Thus, it follows that the 11-2 record is caused by said lack of names on the back of the jersey. Hello? 8-4 in 2005 with names, 11-2 without. :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that it took 5 games, but eventually the no name jersey anti-curse overrode the curse of the horsepigs. Man that Bob is a smart guy.

OhU1
12/21/2006, 01:54 PM
The Horse Pig curse is a bitch that's for sure. Thank God no one on OU put out any "bulletin board material" this year as that is worth at least a TD to the other team and we had a lot of close games.

Pricetag
12/21/2006, 01:57 PM
I don't like removing the names, simply because there's no good reason for it.

The whole "doing it for the team" thing is trite and overdone to say the least. OSU did this a few years back, for pete's sake. It doesn't say much for the motivation skills of the coach if he thinks something like this will work.

Changing it for the new crappy Nike jerseys is even worse. We've had Nike jerseys for like ten years now, and this didn't happen until this year--go back to the old ones. I think the little vertical slit in the back looks stupid anyway.

dougsooner
12/21/2006, 02:04 PM
As long as we go back to the tear away jersey next season I don't care if the names are on the back or not!

UTisLousy
12/21/2006, 02:43 PM
It's sad to me that so many in our fan base don't take the time to learn the players names by their jersey number. If you don't know who it was listen to the PA system and they'll tell you who it was. I understand some may not know everyone on the team, but at least know the starter's numbers. I prefer nameless. Fans should just quit being so lazy and look them up.
Here are some numbers you should know or you really haven't been paying attention.
Next year watch out for number 07

picasso
12/21/2006, 03:05 PM

The whole "doing it for the team" thing is trite and overdone to say the least. OSU did this a few years back, for pete's sake. It doesn't say much for the motivation skills of the coach if he thinks something like this will work.

Changing it for the new crappy Nike jerseys is even worse. We've had Nike jerseys for like ten years now, and this didn't happen until this year--go back to the old ones. I think the little vertical slit in the back looks stupid anyway.
it seems logical if we had a team full of young players in '05 who thought they could just show up and win because they were OU. This year's team moved way beyond that thinking.

Sooner in Tampa
12/21/2006, 03:07 PM
it seems logical if we had a team full of young players in '05 who thought they could just show up and win because they were OU. This year's team moved way beyond that thinking.I am pretty sure Bob made references to an attitude like that this spring.

Jdog
12/21/2006, 03:53 PM
It's sad to me that so many in our fan base don't take the time to learn the players names by their jersey number. If you don't know who it was listen to the PA system and they'll tell you who it was. I understand some may not know everyone on the team, but at least know the starter's numbers. I prefer nameless. Fans should just quit being so lazy and look them up.
Here are some numbers you should know or you really haven't been paying attention.

As for the Bowl game in AZ (what is it called?) I hope that 12,4 and 28 and do what they need to do to put enough points on the board to win and that 5 42 and 3 can force some turnovers.

Go UNIVERSITY

josh09
12/21/2006, 04:13 PM
Its all up to the coach. I trust Bob.

josh09
12/21/2006, 04:16 PM

You forgot 23 and 29. Those are some big ones :D

mightysooner
12/22/2006, 01:06 AM
I'll sign on.

ouwasp
12/22/2006, 01:16 AM
Well, I hope the names are back next yr. If for no other reason, it just might slow my Dad down. During games he's constantly asking me who that was...

OTOH, if having the nameless jerseys will drive Bob Barry into retirement...LEAVE 'EM OFF! :D

sooneriniowa
12/22/2006, 01:22 AM
No love for #99??
As for the # 07. That # should be burned with the previous wearer IN it.

ouwasp
12/22/2006, 01:33 AM
speaking of innocuous subjects, I think #00 should be a football jersey.

Or mmaybe just plain #0....

Collier11
12/22/2006, 02:09 AM

The whole "doing it for the team" thing is trite and overdone to say the least. .
Wow...you guys are so whiny, many of you are on here making such a big frickin deal about names on the back of a jersey. Why the hell does it matter so much, if Coach Stoops took them off for motivational reasons or to hide the fact that Nike screwed up and gave us jerseys that wont fit our players names on them, so be it. It doesnt bother me either way, I like the look of the jerseys without the names but if OU decides to put the names back on im not gonna throw a hissy fit because I like the other way better. IT DOESNT MATTER!!! I know the players, but if some of you dont then listen to the commentators or PA if you dont know them all. I can understand why some of you may like it with the names on, but why are you making such a fuss over something so small??

Collier11
12/22/2006, 02:11 AM
Also, did any of you hear Deano on the Animal today acting like he was "joking" when Stoops pimp slapped him off of the mic at the presser? It was sad.

sooneriniowa
12/22/2006, 03:03 AM
ROSTER (http://admin.xosn.com//pdf1/54777.pdf?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475)
YWIA

SoonerNorth
12/22/2006, 01:12 PM
Hey I admit it I would like to see the name plates come back. It's not life or death and I don't think anyone is trying to dis Coach Stoops. It's just a personal thing, if you like them, then it's ok to say that you would rather see them than not.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/22/2006, 01:31 PM
28 Antonio Perkins
04 Brandon Martin
03 Josh Norman
12 Cale Gundy

Not sure about the rest. ;)

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/22/2006, 03:46 PM
Tramel just can't read. Period.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/22/2006, 04:34 PM
28 Antonio Perkins
04 Brandon Martin
03 Josh Norman
05 EARL "BULLET HEAD" JOHNSON..... DUH!!!
12 Cale Gundy

Not sure about the rest. ;)

:D

picasso
12/22/2006, 05:07 PM
that Martin kid was a weenie.

Remembering Tom Stidham
12/22/2006, 05:08 PM
I can not attend the games, anymore, because of vision and joint problems. So those names on the back are very important to me while watching TV.

I have never met Berry Tramel but I consider his writing skills in a class with Bill Connors and Blackie Sherrod.

Collier11
12/22/2006, 05:45 PM
I can not attend the games, anymore, because of vision and joint problems. So those names on the back are very important to me while watching TV.

I have never met Berry Tramel but I consider his writing skills in a class with Bill Connors and Blackie Sherrod.

Then turn the volume up???

Ash
12/22/2006, 08:02 PM

Have you ever read his column?

Ash
12/22/2006, 08:03 PM
I also hope that most fans know that, barring other things, you can print the roster from soonersports.com...

just sayin'

soonerloyal
12/22/2006, 11:06 PM
Not glorifying individuals over the team has worked for a few hundred years for the Marines. They fought the idea of names on uniforms for decades. Their emphasis is on the Corps, not the individual Marines. I know the players are young men playing football, but the principle is still valid.

And eeeewww - comparing OU to OSU, ever, is simply stomping-on-baby-chicks, drinking-Lake-Thunderbird-water, eating-off-the-bus-terminal-floor wrong.

If Stoops and staff and the team are fine with it, what difference should it make to us? Besides, I rather like listening to the announcers stumble over themselves trying to ID players. Makes people realize what total tools they are. They're supposed to know about their subjects. Other teams have the names missing from their jerseys. It doesn't make or break a team or the season, but if it works for Stoops' Troops, more power to 'em.

I'll take Stoops' opinion over Tramel's any day, especially when it comes to running the football program successfully. If Tramel wants to try making this a big thing, he'll lose. Take a chill pill, Berry - it's all good.

Ash
12/22/2006, 11:13 PM
...drinking-Lake-Thunderbird-water...

:eek:

YOU SICKO!!!oneONEwonjuan