PDA

View Full Version : 1st year Tulsa-Union coach resigns

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=061220_Sp_B1_Wrigh5207

Cathy Burden is a joke.

Run a first year coach out of a job.

His first year, he won a district title. You cant expect a guy to take state his first year.

Oldnslo
12/20/2006, 12:19 PM
I saw where it says that there's going to be a statement, and I saw where it said that a number of assistants resigned, but I missed the part where it said he'd already resigned.

sooner n houston
12/20/2006, 12:20 PM
Something more is going on there! ---

Submitting their resignations were Johnny Bohannon (assistant head coach and linebackers coach), Kelby Bohannon (running backs), Mike Smith (defensive line), Wade Standley (defensive line), Jon Davis (special teams) and Lance Tignor (line coach). While relinquishing their football assignments, all of the assistant coaches retained their teaching positions in the Union district.

OSUAggie
12/20/2006, 12:20 PM
Seems like the parents are a little more at fault than Cathy Burden, although she should probably control the situation a bit better.

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 12:23 PM
http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=152259.top ic&start=1&stop=40

http://mb22.scout.com/fouinsiderfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=152360.top ic&start=1&stop=40

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 12:23 PM
heh, that was yesterday's article.

Its all over the radio and news in Tulsa. He will have a press conference to offically announce his resignation today. Found out from some Union people and Austin Chadwick from highschool sports the magaizine.

Boomer.....
12/20/2006, 12:24 PM
Something more is going on there! ---

Submitting their resignations were Johnny Bohannon (assistant head coach and linebackers coach), Kelby Bohannon (running backs), Mike Smith (defensive line), Wade Standley (defensive line), Jon Davis (special teams) and Lance Tignor (line coach). While relinquishing their football assignments, all of the assistant coaches retained their teaching positions in the Union district.
If they kept their teaching positions, how are they going to hire more coaches? Find more teachers willing to coach, no? I think that you have to teach to be able to coach, and if there are no more teaching positions, then how are they going to get more coaches?

OSUAggie
12/20/2006, 12:28 PM
If they kept their teaching positions, how are they going to hire more coaches? Find more teachers willing to coach, no? I think that you have to teach to be able to coach, and if there are no more teaching positions, then how are they going to get more coaches?

Create new classes.

OklahomaTuba
12/20/2006, 12:31 PM
Heard that guy was an ***.

They will hire Blankenship back, bank on it.

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 12:35 PM
Blankenship wont come back. He just said that.

He is still going for a college job.

Pricetag
12/20/2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?ID=061220_Sp_B1_Wrigh5207

Cathy Burden is a joke.

Run a first year coach out of a job.

His first year, he won a district title. You cant expect a guy to take state his first year.
She's a joke, no doubt, but I don't think she had much to do with this.

Dude was stupid for thinking he could come in here and do the exact same things he was doing in Indiana with the talent he had at Union. He could have easily coasted to a state semifinal berth if he didn't try to force everything to his style right away.

"I have a slow QB who is a solid passer. I know, I'll have him run my antiquated option offense. I'll turn my stud tailback into a fullback, too!"

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 01:01 PM
good point.

Apparently, The parents, Boosters and players all "voted" him out last night.

The Admin knew what kind of system he ran and what he was going to run here.

What did they expect?

Widescreen
12/20/2006, 01:11 PM
I know nothing about this situation but I have a real problem with players and parents "voting out" a coach. If the coach is mistreating their kids, meet with the administrator in charge and deal with it.

sooner518
12/20/2006, 01:12 PM
everything ive read makes it seem like they hated him for off the field stuff. what kinds of "off the field" stuff was going on that all his players hated him?

starrca23
12/20/2006, 01:24 PM
A high school as big as Union will have enough turn over in teachers to find the coaches they need, plus they could teach at the middle schools as well.
I don't know Union's policy, but most schools allow lay coaches and even will pay them a stipend for their services.
I don't think Dr. Burden is a bad administrator, she is not a big sports advocate though. She has more to deal with than just sports.
As for the whole player and parent meeting. Retarded. This guy will go win games somewhere else. i would almost bet parents are mad because they moved into the distict to have their sons play football and they didnt get the playing time or position they wanted.

usmc-sooner
12/20/2006, 02:08 PM
just heard they will be announcing a press conference where they will anounce Bob Stoops as the next coach a Tulsa Union.

at least the Union job is more attractive than the Bama job.

JohnnyMack
12/20/2006, 02:14 PM
That Union team was really young this year. They weren't going to be better than Jenks, Enid or Muskogee no matter what. I thought they improved throughout the season and were showing signs that they could contend next year.

They seemed to scrap at least parts of that option attack that they were running early in the season in favor of a more traditional downfield passing attack.

SoonerMajic
12/20/2006, 02:14 PM
He has resigned. Here's the link to the statement:

http://www.unionps.org/athletics/athletics.htm

Look for and click on the scrolling headline in the middle of the page and near the bottom of the screen.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/20/2006, 02:21 PM
That Union team was really young this year. They weren't going to be better than Jenks, Enid or Muskogee no matter what. I thought they improved throughout the season and were showing signs that they could contend next year.

They seemed to scrap at least parts of that option attack that they were running early in the season in favor of a more traditional downfield passing attack.

actually they beat enid pretty handily, they lost to jenks by a couple field goals and were still running their stupid option offense that doesnt work

JohnnyMack
12/20/2006, 02:21 PM
Union lost to Hoover (one of the best teams in the nation), to state champion Jenks (by a 9 - 6 score) and Muskogee. They finished the season 7 - 3 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to Muskogee (by a 20 - 18 score). All of that with a brand new coach, a new coaching staff and a very young team.

If Union ran him off because of the record, then they're idiots.

JohnnyMack
12/20/2006, 02:22 PM
actually they beat enid pretty handily, they lost to jenks by a couple field goals and were still running their stupid option offense that doesnt work

You're right, they did!

That stupid offense worked for 49 points against them.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/20/2006, 02:26 PM
You're right, they did!

That stupid offense worked for 49 points against them.

that came out wrong, they were running the option against jenks but when they played enid they were back in the spread offense. that game was also the game austin box dislocated his elbow

usmc-sooner
12/20/2006, 02:29 PM
I'd fire them all, take Stoops and be done with it.

I'm just a fire your ***, type of guy.

The_Red_Patriot
12/20/2006, 02:48 PM
Union lost to Hoover (one of the best teams in the nation), to state champion Jenks (by a 9 - 6 score) and Muskogee. They finished the season 7 - 3 and lost in the first round of the playoffs to Muskogee (by a 20 - 18 score). All of that with a brand new coach, a new coaching staff and a very young team.

If Union ran him off because of the record, then they're idiots.

exactly.

They are like the OU fans wanting to run Bob Stoops off last year

SoonersRams
12/20/2006, 03:22 PM
Wright asked his "sr class to be to" meet and tell him what they wanted and he would step aside if that was what decided ..... they voted 28 - 3 against him. Why would a head coach ask his "players" if they wanted him?
He did resign today at noon citing, "he thought it would be better for the players and the program if he left."
Early rumors are that coach Garner will be named the interim coach. He is the ONLY coach left on staff now after 9 assistants and Wright resigned.
Apearently it goes much deeper than just winning and losing ...... Parents have made racial accusations against Wright, not against the black players but instead he chose them over the white kids. This is all over the Rivals HS board in Oklahoma, mostly parents, players and Alumni are posting. Union football is in turmoil and they need someone to bring the program and district back together.

Coach B said the boosters and administration have made Union a less than ideal job. It is going to be tough for whomever gets hired.

As an Alum, I'm glad he's gone. As an Owasso Ram players parent, I wish he would have stayed longer.

JohnnyMack
12/20/2006, 03:32 PM
exactly.

They are like the OU fans wanting to run Bob Stoops off last year

I heard they hired NickZepp as their attorney.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2006, 03:42 PM
As an Owasso Ram players parent, I wish he would have stayed longer.

You think Kirk might put his name in the hat for the Union job? I can't see him leaving the situation he's got up there in Owasso, but you never know.

I didn't think he'd leave Stillwater anytime soon either, but his wife has family in Broken Arrow I believe so I'm sure that's part of why he left.

SoonersRams
12/20/2006, 03:57 PM
His wife also has family in Owasso.

I don't think there is any way he will leave Owasso. He is the toast of the town right now and they ( he and his wife) LOVE it here. And we definately love him. It was great to see the kids fight for each other and be team mates again ... that has not been the case here for awhile.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2006, 04:52 PM

I don't think there is any way he will leave Owasso. He is the toast of the town right now and they ( he and his wife) LOVE it here. And we definately love him. It was great to see the kids fight for each other and be team mates again ... that has not been the case here for awhile.

Good for you guys . . . we went to church with them here in Stillwater.

birddog
12/20/2006, 05:16 PM
so what did this dude do wrong? was he just a butthole or something? did he fondle the players' delicates after practice?

i want specifics damnit!!

SoonerDood
12/20/2006, 06:12 PM
Seems like the parents are a little more at fault than Cathy Burden, although she should probably control the situation a bit better.
Union Alum here. Her speech at my commencement was the worst thing I've ever heard. She has to be the dumbest smart person alive. Proof that you can have 3 degrees and not know ****.

tommieharris91
12/20/2006, 06:43 PM
So you mean High School Aggy (Broken Arrow HS) may beat em next year?

tulsaoilerfan
12/20/2006, 07:49 PM
I know nothing about this situation but I have a real problem with players and parents "voting out" a coach. If the coach is mistreating their kids, meet with the administrator in charge and deal with it.
Or just let your kids transfer to jenks. :D

SoonerMajic
12/20/2006, 08:57 PM
According to a number of messages on the high schools rivals board, there were problems related to (a) how bad his offense was, (b) his poor play calling and game management, (c) how he treated the kids, (d) how he treated some coaches, (e) how arragont he was, (f) his attempts to change a number of things like uniforms, mascot, seating and the like, and (g) the selection of younger, minority students as starters over white seniors who were supposedly better players.

There is also alot of discussion about one particular assistant coach apparently sponsoring a thug like mentality (think Miami) among the players, with related complaints related to Union players trashing the Muskogee locker room and taunting during pre-game.

Reading between the lines, it seems that the assistant coach may be black and there are some concerns that he is favoring black players, over supposedly more talented white players, which is getting the Booster Club parents upset.

Here's a link to some threads:

http://hsoklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1778&tid=82716842&mid=82716842&sid=1116&style=2

http://hsoklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1778&tid=85562253&mid=85562253&sid=1116&style=2

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 11:01 PM
Blankenship wont come back. He just said that.

He is still going for a college job.

:les: Blankenship to 'BAMA!!!

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 11:04 PM
This just in, Union Football Head Coach candidates must know how to recruit and pay off stubborn players...

MiccoMacey
12/21/2006, 05:32 AM

He's going back to Shawnee to coach the Wolves!!!

I grew up with Kirk and wish this were true, but I'm glad he's found a home in Owasso.

crimson&cream
12/21/2006, 12:26 PM
Heard that guy was an ***.

They will hire Blankenship back, bank on it.
So you know for a fact Wright was an A$$ or is that se=ome friends emtional opinion-I doubt your facts and seems to me the a$$eS were the patron's who walked up to his wife a week after they arrived in town an told her "How does it feel to know nobody wants you all here" Snooty, rude, insensiative, out of line, Rich Beeches those are your a$$e$.
Today Tulsa World Blankinship stated "I will not be coming back as HC of Union" so there's you bank on it.

crimson&cream
12/21/2006, 12:30 PM
According to a number of messages on the high schools rivals board, there were problems related to (a) how bad his offense was, (b) his poor play calling and game management, (c) how he treated the kids, (d) how he treated some coaches, (e) how arragont he was, (f) his attempts to change a number of things like uniforms, mascot, seating and the like, and (g) the selection of younger, minority students as starters over white seniors who were supposedly better players.

There is also alot of discussion about one particular assistant coach apparently sponsoring a thug like mentality (think Miami) among the players, with related complaints related to Union players trashing the Muskogee locker room and taunting during pre-game.

Reading between the lines, it seems that the assistant coach may be black and there are some concerns that he is favoring black players, over supposedly more talented white players, which is getting the Booster Club parents upset.

Here's a link to some threads:

http://hsoklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1778&tid=82716842&mid=82716842&sid=1116&style=2

http://hsoklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1778&tid=85562253&mid=85562253&sid=1116&style=2
Like Wright said the message boards so he's been told are full of inaccuracies,lies and inuendo's. I'd believe his opinion on that from my own experience before I would the content of those boards. Who actually has the facts/truths---not any of us I'll bet.

crimson&cream
12/21/2006, 12:34 PM
Wright asked his "sr class to be to" meet and tell him what they wanted and he would step aside if that was what decided ..... they voted 28 - 3 against him. Why would a head coach ask his "players" if they wanted him?
He did resign today at noon citing, "he thought it would be better for the players and the program if he left."
Early rumors are that coach Garner will be named the interim coach. He is the ONLY coach left on staff now after 9 assistants and Wright resigned.
Apearently it goes much deeper than just winning and losing ...... Parents have made racial accusations against Wright, not against the black players but instead he chose them over the white kids. This is all over the Rivals HS board in Oklahoma, mostly parents, players and Alumni are posting. Union football is in turmoil and they need someone to bring the program and district back together.

Coach B said the boosters and administration have made Union a less than ideal job. It is going to be tough for whomever gets hired.

As an Alum, I'm glad he's gone. As an Owasso Ram players parent, I wish he would have stayed longer.
Sounds like a bunch of spoiled people in Union District.

SoonerMajic
12/21/2006, 12:41 PM
Like Wright said the message boards so he's been told are full of inaccuracies,lies and inuendo's. I'd believe his opinion on that from my own experience before I would the content of those boards. Who actually has the facts/truths---not any of us I'll bet.

I did not mean to imply that I necessarily believe any of the complaints reported on the message boards. That is just what people are saying was the basis for his problems. However, the level of the complaints and the fact that so many assistants resigned at once, leads me to believe that there were some type of huge problems going on.

JohnnyMack
12/21/2006, 01:19 PM
I gotta wonder if Union goes 9 - 1 and gets to the state semi-finals if the result is the same?

starrca23
12/21/2006, 01:31 PM
Mack the result would have been the same. It didn't matter who they brought in, the fact that they didin't hire Spavitaw (sp?) doomed no matter who it was.
No one on here can honestly say that offense was any worse than the Jenks run and run some more offense. Those kids never bought in and mommy and daddy didn't back the coach.
I hope he lands on his feet, he was a good guy.

boomrsoonr
12/21/2006, 07:35 PM
Whether you're Bob Stoops or any other coach, you're going to be criticized.

Stoops gets criticized????

NorthernIowaSooner
1/10/2007, 05:26 PM
Union is hiring the Owasso coach Kirk Fridrich

By Ryan Aber
The Oklahoman
TULSA — Tulsa Union will name Owasso coach Kirk Fridrich as its football coach in a 3 p.m. press conference Wednesday, school sources confirmed.

Associate athletic director Steve Dunlap will also be announced as athletic director at the press conference.

Fridrich, a former Union assistant, comes to Union after one season with the Rams, where he led Owasso to the Class 6A semifinals.

Prior to that, Fridrich coached Stillwater for four seasons, after spending nine seasons at Union under Bill Blankenship.

Fridrich replaces Kevin Wright, who resigned Dec. 20 after just one season. The Redskins went 7-4 under Wright, losing to Muskogee in the first round of the playoffs. Wright also served as athletic director.

In Class 6A, Broken Arrow, Del City, Edmond North, Putnam City West and now Owasso are searching for coaches.

Steve Dunlap will be the new AD

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 06:01 PM
Good coach. Sorry to lose him.

I wonder if Owasso has a tough AD or admin or something. Thats the 2nd coach in two years to go.

MiccoMacey
1/10/2007, 07:25 PM
According to those I know, the first coach who went to Bartlesville was probably going to be ousted anyway. He was not well liked by many (from my unofficial sources).

Kirk was probably lured away by the temptress, Union. He was there for so long. It makes sense he'd come home.

yermom
1/10/2007, 07:33 PM
at least he didn't leave for Jenks

OU-HSV
1/10/2007, 08:20 PM
I'm still wondering why Whitson left B.A. The article I read said that he "Wasn't available for comment"?

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 08:55 PM
I'm still wondering why Whitson left B.A. The article I read said that he "Wasn't available for comment"?

The BA admin was rumored to be hoping he would resign. The follow-up rumor is that they would go after Bill Blankenship. This info was going around a couple o months ago.

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 09:09 PM

But he did. He knows where the talent is. Football is #1 at Union, Baseball is #1 at Owasso. Any news on who Owasso is looking for?

OU-HSV
1/10/2007, 09:11 PM
The BA admin was rumored to be hoping he would resign. The follow-up rumor is that they would go after Bill Blankenship. This info was going around a couple o months ago.
Interesting. Dang,as long as Bill was at Union, that would be awfully wierd if Blankenship came to B.A.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 11:38 PM
But he did. He knows where the talent is. Football is #1 at Union, Baseball is #1 at Owasso. Any news on who Owasso is looking for?

Larry Coker. :D

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 11:41 PM

I get the feeling this is very much a football town. Baseball is #2 IMO.

Pricetag
1/11/2007, 01:00 AM
Interesting. Dang,as long as Bill was at Union, that would be awfully wierd if Blankenship came to B.A.
It worked out pretty well when the coach that preceded Blankenship at Union, Rick Jones, coached at B.A. I heard the rumor about Blankenship and hoped it was true. Guess not.

SoonersRams
1/11/2007, 02:26 AM
Yep, Fred left. I'll have to eat my words on that one. Money talks. Personally, I feel Fred has seen what happened to Union this year and him being a part of making Union what it was with coach B ..... intrigued him and has him wanting to build it again. Coach Fred is the " band aid" Union needed. I hope he wins every game but one every year.

I miss him already ............ Is that too much man love?

SoonerTerry
1/11/2007, 04:40 AM
He has resigned. Here's the link to the statement:

http://www.unionps.org/athletics/athletics.htm

Look for and click on the scrolling headline in the middle of the page and near the bottom of the screen.

What did the scroll link to?
I got this...

Content blocked [Sex]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****************** has blocked access to http://www.unionps.org/athletics/redskin_news.cfm.

The content has been blocked because it is deemed to contain material of a sexual nature

Contact your system administrator if you believe this page should not have been blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUmillenium
1/11/2007, 12:51 PM
I get the feeling this is very much a football town. Baseball is #2 IMO.

Really how many state football championships does Owasso have?

Do small school kids from nearby towns move into the Owasso district to play football like they do for the baseball program?

This is news to me...

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2007, 01:08 PM
This didn't surprise me at all . . . I hope Kirk does well at Union.

Union is hiring the Owasso coach Kirk Fridrich

By Ryan Aber
The Oklahoman
TULSA — Tulsa Union will name Owasso coach Kirk Fridrich as its football coach in a 3 p.m. press conference Wednesday, school sources confirmed.

Associate athletic director Steve Dunlap will also be announced as athletic director at the press conference.

Fridrich, a former Union assistant, comes to Union after one season with the Rams, where he led Owasso to the Class 6A semifinals.

Prior to that, Fridrich coached Stillwater for four seasons, after spending nine seasons at Union under Bill Blankenship.

Fridrich replaces Kevin Wright, who resigned Dec. 20 after just one season. The Redskins went 7-4 under Wright, losing to Muskogee in the first round of the playoffs. Wright also served as athletic director.

In Class 6A, Broken Arrow, Del City, Edmond North, Putnam City West and now Owasso are searching for coaches.

Steve Dunlap will be the new AD

Pricetag
1/11/2007, 01:14 PM

Do small school kids from nearby towns move into the Owasso district to play football like they do for the baseball program?

This is news to me...
It doesn't matter much. They can't beat Union in either one. At least not when it counts.

OSUAggie
1/11/2007, 01:14 PM

This is news to me...

Pretty sure the reference was to the fans, who long to be dominant in football. Sure, their baseball program is the best 6A program in the state (by far), but the people of Owasso would rather be dominant in football, not that they're not proud of their baseball program.

Mjcpr
1/11/2007, 01:18 PM
Pretty sure the reference was to the fans, who long to be dominant in football. Sure, their baseball program is the best 6A program in the state (by far), but the people of Owasso would rather be dominant in football, not that they're not proud of their baseball program.

They should call them the Owasso Aggy then.

:D

OSUAggie
1/11/2007, 01:21 PM
I was thinking that as I was typing it, the only question was who was gonna call it out.

yermom
1/11/2007, 03:35 PM
They should call them the Owasso Aggy then.

:D

don't make me neg you :mad:

although, i was often bothered by the high Aggie population there...

SoonersRams
1/11/2007, 04:20 PM
True ....... WAY to many L osu R's here. Baseball is King in Owasso and somtimes I think it is taken for granted. We would love to not be the 3rd or
4th best team on this side of the State. Problem is as stated above .... not very many kids move here for football, baseball oh yeah ..... every year ....but not in football, yet.