PDA

View Full Version : Yet another which tv to buy thread

achiro
12/20/2006, 11:12 AM
I want to get a new tv for my den. The primary use for it will be for gaming(xbox 360) Something around a 32 inch would be perfect. I want to get the best picture(for gaming) for the best money possible. I also don't want a tv that will have maintenence issues. Also under 8-900 dollars would be ok, less would be better.
Please be specific, I really am just getting more and more confused with all these detailed threads, 1080 this and hdmi that...Sony lt459ddsez this and panasonic lwfw24442sd2 that.

Answers like, "sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA", would be the best.:D :D :D

TYIA

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Go to Best Buy. Watch the TV's. Pick out one you like in your price range. YWIA.

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Do you have a time frame for when we need to get this to you?

achiro
12/20/2006, 11:51 AM
Do you have a time frame for when we need to get this to you?
Time is running out, have you found it for me yet?

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 11:53 AM
Go to Best Buy. Watch the TV's. Pick out one you like in your price range. YWIA.

Do not go to Best Buy to compare TVs. Best Buys have possibly the worst set up for comparing TVs imaginable.

sooner n houston
12/20/2006, 11:54 AM
sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA

Sorry, had to be done! :D

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 11:54 AM
I want to get a new tv for my den. The primary use for it will be for gaming(xbox 360) Something around a 32 inch would be perfect. I want to get the best picture(for gaming) for the best money possible. I also don't want a tv that will have maintenence issues. Also under 8-900 dollars would be ok, less would be better.
Please be specific, I really am just getting more and more confused with all these detailed threads, 1080 this and hdmi that...Sony lt459ddsez this and panasonic lwfw24442sd2 that.

Answers like, "sony blah blah blah, best buy-this week for $xxx YWIA", would be the best.:D :D :D

TYIA

Buying an HDTV under 40" is like buying a hooker without a hole.

Just go to Costco and buy a Vizio POS or something.

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 11:57 AM
Oh. I didn't read HDTV in there anywhere. My contribution was worthless.

Sooner in Tampa
12/20/2006, 12:14 PM
Buying an HDTV under 40" is like buying a hooker without a hole.:cool: THAT is an interesting analogy right there

You can't go wrong with the Sony Trinitron

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7e/f9/faf1_3.JPG

achiro
12/20/2006, 12:30 PM
Buying an HDTV under 40" is like buying a hooker without a hole.

Is there a problem with a smaller tv or is it just some kind of penis envy issue you have going on?

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 12:42 PM
Is there a problem with a smaller tv or is it just some kind of penis envy issue you have going on?

Do you normally accuse people who are helping you of having penis envy issues?

Yes, there is a bit of a problem with a smaller TV. HDTVs under 40" don't give you near the picture that the larger ones do.

achiro
12/20/2006, 12:48 PM
Do you normally accuse people who are helping you of having penis envy issues?
If I asked someone about a ford or chevy and they told me anything less than a porche was a piece of crap, yes I would.;)

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 12:56 PM
OK, here's the deal:

If you're going to buy a 32" TV MAX, then it doesn't really matter that much what brand you buy. The difference in picture quality is going to be so negligible that it's not going to be worth the extra cost. To take the analogy you just gave a little further, if you were to tell me that you wanted to buy a compact car to get around town in and asked me for recommendations on an engine, I would have said that buying something with a V-12 in it is probably kind of dumb. You're just not getting your money's worth on it.

For what you're planning on doing, buy a Vizio or similar off-brand.

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 12:58 PM
I was considering a small widescreen HDTV for the boy's room and only because he has an XBox 360. But they were too much $ for a video game display IMO.

OUDoc
12/20/2006, 01:02 PM
FWIW, I bought one of these (I think that's the one) for $899 a few months ago as a second TV in the front room (mostly for kids, games, etc). It's fine although the display for the channel # is REALLY small and hard to read. Picture is nice and sound is decent. Picks up unscrambled cable HD signals without an extra HD cable box, too.

http://www.magnavox.com/images/products/150/32MF231D_37.jpg

http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?event=main&cat_id=1&subcat_id=5&product=93

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 01:04 PM
To sum it up. If you replace "Best Buy" with "Costco" in my original post, you're good to go. YWIA.

achiro
12/20/2006, 01:06 PM
OK, here's the deal:

If you're going to buy a 32" TV MAX, then it doesn't really matter that much what brand you buy. The difference in picture quality is going to be so negligible that it's not going to be worth the extra cost. To take the analogy you just gave a little further, if you were to tell me that you wanted to buy a compact car to get around town in and asked me for recommendations on an engine, I would have said that buying something with a V-12 in it is probably kind of dumb. You're just not getting your money's worth on it.

For what you're planning on doing, buy a Vizio or similar off-brand.
Point taken. The room I am planning on putting it in is small enough that anything bigger than a 32 just seems overkill. A 40" might work but then the price becomes a factor, at least I think it does. I am not opposed to a visio or whatever other cheap brand would be out there if you really think the picture quality would be that close. This is why I posted the question.:D

So you are saying, go to wal-mart and get a visio plasma, lcd, what? Specifics man...:D

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 01:08 PM
If it's mainly for gaming, go with an LCD. If you're going to be watching movies, I prefer the picture a plasma gives you.

skycat
12/20/2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, there is a bit of a problem with a smaller TV. HDTVs under 40" don't give you near the picture that the larger ones do.

This quite simply isn't true. The issue with smaller TV's is that at a certain point the human eye can't distinguish all of the resolution that a smaller TV is displaying. That point depends on your eyesight and how close to the TV you sit.

Lots of people sit close enough to their TV to make something like a 32"-34" HDTV perfectly worthwhile, and gamers would most likely fit into this group.

There will still be differences in contrast, color reproduction, shadow detail, etc, etc, etc, that will be evident from one set to the next regardless of size. How important these differences are is entirely up to you, just like in any sized screen.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 02:19 PM
I'm tellin' you skycat, this is almost word-for-word what the guys at avsforum say-if your TV is under 40", then there's just not that huge of a difference between them.

skycat
12/20/2006, 02:25 PM
I'm tellin' you skycat, this is almost word-for-word what the guys at avsforum say-if your TV is under 40", then there's just not that huge of a difference between them.

Flatscreen only? A 34" CRT would blow a similar sized Plasma away.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 02:59 PM
This is true. I wasn't even thinking about a CRT that size with HDTV. Heavier than a mug, but it'll put out a nice looking picture.

Tosh makes a 34" which looks to be right in his wheelhouse on price.

IB4OU2
12/20/2006, 03:19 PM
FWIW, I bought one of these (I think that's the one) for $899 a few months ago as a second TV in the front room (mostly for kids, games, etc). It's fine although the display for the channel # is REALLY small and hard to read. Picture is nice and sound is decent. Picks up unscrambled cable HD signals without an extra HD cable box, too.

http://www.magnavox.com/images/products/150/32MF231D_37.jpg

http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?event=main&cat_id=1&subcat_id=5&product=93

I bought the 37 inch Magnavox (Smart/VerySmart) HDTV a week ago and I'm very pleased. I did some research and compared it to all the other
highdollar brands like LG, Hitatchi and Sony and could'nt tell any difference plus I saved about $500.

achiro
12/20/2006, 05:25 PM
Holy cow, now I'm REALLY confused. I don't even know what a CRT is! You people are suppose to be helping find a tv here!:O :D

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 05:27 PM
Heh. A CRT is a traditional tube-based TV. Cathode Ray Tube.

85Sooner
12/20/2006, 07:29 PM

I would agee with that sentiment. THere are a couple really good 32" but I can give their theory a thumbs up.

achiro
12/20/2006, 10:05 PM
I would agee with that sentiment. THere are a couple really good 32" but I can give their theory a thumbs up.
Thats all I get? Dang, I was waiting on your response and thats all I get?????:D
So is a cheap 32 hd still better than el cheapo other kind of tvs?

BeetDigger
12/21/2006, 12:04 AM
This one seems to vary in price each week. It was $699 in late November, was as high as $899 and now is back to $799 this week. Most buyers seem to like it.

Olevia (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889022032)

The Westinghouse 32" is also popular. Do a search on the innner web for prices. I think that I saw them at BB for $599 or so recently. They were $498 or so on Black Friday fwiw. But you won't find them at that price today. If it is for gaming and such, an Oevia or Vizio should provide a fine pic at a good price.

Taxman71
12/21/2006, 07:36 AM
I got the Westinghouse 32" for $600 and change at BB and it has performed great (about 6 weeks or so). The picture is very good (comparable to my 50" Sony LCD), it has hdmi and looks good sitting on a stand in an extra room. No regrets at this point at all. I paid more for a 32" Sony CRT back in 2000.

Note: join the BB Zone club, then GIS and print a 12% off coupon. It makes the price on this ridiculous.

I agree paying $1200+ for a comparable Sony, etc. doesn't make sense as the picture difference is negligible and the price should fall like a rocket in the next year or two.