PDA

View Full Version : No more driving while jabbering

Okla-homey
12/19/2006, 09:34 PM
...on cellphones aboard US military installations. Evar. 'Cept for "handsfree" models. Military cops are specifically authorized to stop and cite offenders. Boy, I'd like to have the Bluetooth concession at the BX/PX right now.

Now, if they would just pass a law in Oklahoma which would have a similar effect, life would be perfect.

That is all.

TopDaugIn2000
12/19/2006, 10:46 PM
yup, no phones on Tinker AFB. so I use my bluetoof while driving on base

sooneron
12/19/2006, 10:48 PM
They've had that as a state law up here for a long time now. Great idea that is not enforced enough.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 10:52 PM
Except the headsets are pretty much just as unsafe as holding the phone to your head and much douchier.

sooneron
12/19/2006, 11:00 PM
How are they unsafe? Practically every time I'm behind an idiot not paying attention to the road, they have the phone up to their ear.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:01 PM
Studies show that drivers using the headset are every bit as distracted as people holding the phone to their head.

sooneron
12/19/2006, 11:03 PM
Studies show that drivers using the headset are every bit as distracted as people holding the phone to their head.
I think 90% of statistics from studies are made up.

KABOOKIE
12/19/2006, 11:38 PM
They should ban listening to the radio too.

Vaevictis
12/20/2006, 12:14 AM
Except the headsets are pretty much just as unsafe as holding the phone to your head and much douchier.

Yeah, but enforcing the hands free stuff is much harder.

Get yourself a model that doesn't go in your ear but goes through the car speaker system, and you say, "Why, no officer, I wasn't talking on the phone at all. I was singing to my radio!"

They couldn't even get you necessarily by just sniffing the radio waves and triangulating, because cell phones are often communicating with the tower whether or not you're talking just to keep synched with the network.

crawfish
12/20/2006, 12:21 AM

Yeah, but at least they might have both hands available for emergencies, and have a hand free to use the nice extra devices a car offers, such as a turn signal. They are also free to turn their head at normal angles when changing lanes/etc. I'm not sure I buy the studies.

Hands-free is no different than listening to talk radio or talking to the person in the car beside you as far as distractability goes. Granted, a distressing percentage of drivers don't seem to be able to handle even that.

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 12:26 AM
OK. I can't talk on the phone, but I can still text message, right?

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 12:27 AM
Hey, I'm just saying that's what the studies show. When the evidence shows something that doesn't make sense to you, you can either choose to believe the evidence, commission another study, or just disregard it.

I'm just saying-if you're going to ban talking on cellphones, why not just ban talking on cellphones entirely instead of making an exception for something that hasn't been shown to statistically improve safety?

1stTimeCaller
12/20/2006, 02:13 AM
Hey, I'm just saying that's what the studies show. When the evidence shows something that doesn't make sense to you, you can either choose to believe the evidence, commission another study, or just disregard it.

I'm just saying-if you're going to ban talking on cellphones, why not just ban talking on cellphones entirely instead of making an exception for something that hasn't been shown to statistically improve safety?

What studies show that?

Links?

While I do agree with you and can remember Okla-homey posting that talking one the cell phone while driving was no different than what every pilot in America is doing when they fly a plane and that it shouldn't be a problem, I'd like to see the 'studies'.

Jerk
12/20/2006, 05:15 AM
There's a bumper sticker for sale at the midway between okc and tulsa...it says...

"You're in a car, not a phone both"

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2006, 05:24 AM
They're hauling people over left and right down here at Randoph for talking away...it's funny to watch...some people are still talking on the damn phone WHILE they're being cited!

Okla-homey
12/20/2006, 06:15 AM
Here's the thing. Despite being socially regressive in a few areas, the military has often led civil society in progressive social change. For example, desegregation, equal opportunities for wimmens, no smoking in buildings.

Ergo, I posit that "no talking on cellphones while driving" laws in most states will follow this move by the military.

soonerloyal
12/20/2006, 07:11 AM
On Marine Corps bases, the guards at the gates will seriously fry your six if you approach 'em while on a cell phone. Ditto if you don't turn off your lights when approaching. I can't tell you how many times I was talking to my Firedawg and he hung up on me with no further adieu when he got near the Main gate at Oceanside. It's a great rule.

I've almost been wiped off the road due to some soccermom on crack weaving her Escalade all over while she's screaming at her housemaid about God knows what. I think you should get at least one free pass at punching people who put everyone at risk because they can't shut their pieholes & Motorolas for one freaking roadtrip to the mall.

I need decaf...

AlbqSooner
12/20/2006, 07:20 AM
Here's the thing. Despite being socially regressive in a few areas, the military has often led civil society in progressive social change. For example, desegregation, equal opportunities for wimmens, no smoking in buildings.

Ergo, I posit that "no talking on cellphones while driving" laws in most states will follow this move by the military.
The third brake light - the one in the rear window at eye level - was tested at a couple of Air Force bases. When they had a reduction of almost 50% in rear end collisions, they became standard issue on civilian vehicles.

Okieflyer
12/20/2006, 07:34 AM
I think they should ban stupid drivers! :mad:

Which is a good idea for a new thread.

Newbomb Turk
12/20/2006, 07:39 AM
I think they should ban stupid drivers! :mad:

then how the heck would you get to work?

;)

Okieflyer
12/20/2006, 07:45 AM
then how the heck would you get to work?

;)

Taxi! :(

Newbomb Turk
12/20/2006, 07:50 AM
The change of avatars torques my jaws. :mad:

not the avatar, but the change.

Okieflyer
12/20/2006, 08:00 AM
The change of avatars torques my jaws. :mad:

not the avatar, but the change.

Just kidding!!!:D

KABOOKIE
12/20/2006, 08:04 AM
On Marine Corps bases, the guards at the gates will seriously fry your six if you approach 'em while on a cell phone.

How do they "fry your six" if you're approaching them? Wouldn't they fry your noon?

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 09:51 AM
The third brake light - the one in the rear window at eye level - was tested at a couple of Air Force bases. When they had a reduction of almost 50% in rear end collisions, they became standard issue on civilian vehicles.
AKA, the Dole light.

Vaevictis
12/20/2006, 10:00 AM
How do they "fry your six" if you're approaching them? Wouldn't they fry your noon?

Chew your ***? I'm guessing that's what the six is referring to. Your "noon" would be something else entirely, and I'm guessing that most Marines would want nothing to do with that part of your anatomy.

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 10:05 AM
Chew your ***? I'm guessing that's what the six is referring to. Your "noon" would be something else entirely, and I'm guessing that most Marines would want nothing to do with that part of your anatomy.
Maybe a kick in the junk.