PDA

View Full Version : HDTV users. PLEASE HELP CHECK THIS OUT

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 06:24 PM
I finally have my website up. Please check it out.
www.avassistant.com

Kepp in mind this is only the beginning. try the cable lists and diagrams.

I DO appreciate the feedback.

Don't loose sight of the main colors. Crimson and Cream

Okieflyer
12/19/2006, 06:31 PM
It's about time! Good site and just in time! :D

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 06:35 PM
That's good stuff. I'd add the possibility of having an HDMI-compliant receiver-those are starting to come out now.

I'd also throw in XBox360/PS3/PC hookups.

IB4OU2
12/19/2006, 07:18 PM
How come you did'nt have it up 3 days ago....That's when I set my new HDTV up....:( just kiddin' Congrats! I'm sure I'll need more of your help. :)

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 07:54 PM
That's good stuff. I'd add the possibility of having an HDMI-compliant receiver-those are starting to come out now.

I'd also throw in XBox360/PS3/PC hookups.

Read under FAQ

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/19/2006, 08:13 PM
85 - you do know that if we do go ahead and log in we can see all your info, right?

Just checking...

BigRedJed
12/19/2006, 08:22 PM
85, could you please PM your SS# and DOB? TIA.

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 08:55 PM
85, could you please PM your SS# and DOB? TIA.

I figured I could trust folks here. I hope!

Cam
12/19/2006, 09:37 PM
Pretty cool site. There's a "is" that should probably be "it" in the first testimonial. Not trying to nit-pick. You don't want somebody thinking you're unprofessional cause of a typo.

Norm In Norman
12/19/2006, 09:39 PM
Dude, I would delete that if I were you. Send it by PM.

OUHOMER
12/19/2006, 10:44 PM
85, good info. So if you had $2000.00 to spend on a TV what would you buy????

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 10:47 PM

I'm not 85, but the first question is going to be something about how far you sit from the TV to determine what size of set you should get.

I'm a big fan of the Sony XBR-3 LCDs if price isn't an object. If price is a bit of an object, go with a Panasonic plasma.

OUHOMER
12/19/2006, 10:52 PM
I'm not 85, but the first question is going to be something about how far you sit from the TV to determine what size of set you should get.

I'm a big fan of the Sony XBR-3 LCDs if price isn't an object. If price is a bit of an object, go with a Panasonic plasma.

I actually sit about 18 ft away. I set at the puter and watch TV. Game days I am bout 10 ft away.

colleyvillesooner
12/19/2006, 10:53 PM
Sorry 85, but your new password is

Iheartballs. :D

Awesome site. It would really help out any noob at hookups.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:00 PM
I actually sit about 18 ft away. I set at the puter and watch TV. Game days I am bout 10 ft away.

You're probably OK with a 42-50 inch TV. You're not going to get an XBR-3 at that price.

Is native 1080p resolution important to you? The only things that are native 1080p right now are some X-Box 360 games, PS3 games, HD-DVDs, and Blu-Ray, though a 1080p TV's line doubler can make 1080i content look pretty darn good. To my eye, I don't see a bunch of difference between 1080i and 1080p, but it's there.

If 1080p isn't super important to you, then I'd go with a Panasonic plasma. The 42" 42PX60U can be found for around $1500 right now, has dual HDMI inputs and a very very nice picture-in fact, I'm watching one right now.

Or, if the cool factor of a flat screen isn't what you want, there's always the DLPs and RP-LCDs.

OUHOMER
12/19/2006, 11:06 PM
flat screen for sure, I dont do any Xbox or other games. i have been waiting for my Tv to go out but the damn thing keeps working. its a Mitsubishi. i thinking about putting it in the barn and put a flat screen in the living room

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:08 PM
OK, then, go check out the TV I recommended above.

www.panasonic.com has a really good link debunking some of the popular myths regarding plasmas (like burn-in and burnout) that you may want to read.

One thing to consider is ambient light in your living room, by the way. I keep my living room pretty dark, but a living room with high ambient light washes a plasma out a little bit. LCDs typically have brighter pictures, while plasmas have more detailed pictures. LCDs generally look better in a bright room, while plasmas look better in a dark room.

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:36 PM
Pretty cool site. There's a "is" that should probably be "it" in the first testimonial. Not trying to nit-pick. You don't want somebody thinking you're unprofessional cause of a typo.

Found it. THanks, I will get that fixed. Any help you all can give is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:37 PM

Sony KDS50A2000 1879.00

85Sooner
12/19/2006, 11:39 PM

70" SXRD Baby

Boomer.....
12/20/2006, 10:03 AM
It is not giving me a hook-up diagram:
HDTV->HD Cable Box->DVD/CD player (with surround sound)->sound from tv when regular, but when a game is on I can turn on the surround sound with no sound from the tv.

Is there a way to do this? I used to be able to before I had the cable box.

Norm In Norman
12/20/2006, 11:10 AM
Sony KDS50A2000 1879.00
I really liked that set, but I ended up getting E2000 version instead. I just couldn't justify spending over $500 more for the A2000, even if it did look better (from closer up at least). I'm still really happy with my purchase though. A buddy of mine got the 60" version of the E2000 (but last year's model - I don't remember the actual number) and he loves the thing to death. It's probably too big for his viewing distance, but there is no SDE from that distance anyway so it doesn't matter.

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 11:11 AM
I thought you had a Panasonic, Norm....did you get another one?

skycat
12/20/2006, 11:17 AM
I'd defintely add gaming systems in there.

Looks good otherwise.

Boomer.....
12/20/2006, 11:31 AM
I really liked that set, but I ended up getting E2000 version instead. I just couldn't justify spending over $500 more for the A2000, even if it did look better (from closer up at least). I'm still really happy with my purchase though. A buddy of mine got the 60" version of the E2000 (but last year's model - I don't remember the actual number) and he loves the thing to death. It's probably too big for his viewing distance, but there is no SDE from that distance anyway so it doesn't matter.
I just bought the KDF-55E2000 and the picture is great! I didn't want to pony up and pay $630 more for the KDS (1080p) version. In person, the picture was very similar and the only noticable difference was on a HDDVD.

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/20/2006, 11:45 AM
If 1080p isn't super important to you, then I'd go with a Panasonic plasma. The 42" 42PX60U can be found for around $1500 right now, has dual HDMI inputs and a very very nice picture-in fact, I'm watching one right now.

Or, if the cool factor of a flat screen isn't what you want, there's always the DLPs and RP-LCDs.

I bought the Panasonic 42PX60U 2 weeks ago. I am very happy with it. Got it for less than 1400.00 at Sears. I noticed in the Christmas Sale flyer for Sears the other day they had it on sale for 1700.00....heh.

Im going to try the HD over antenna, any advice? Im hoping to make one work in the attic, or a small antenna outside.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 11:50 AM
No advice on OTA HD, I'm using a cable box for TV.

85Sooner
12/20/2006, 02:42 PM
It is not giving me a hook-up diagram:
HDTV->HD Cable Box->DVD/CD player (with surround sound)->sound from tv when regular, but when a game is on I can turn on the surround sound with no sound from the tv.

Is there a way to do this? I used to be able to before I had the cable box.

That would be

HDTV
Cable Box
DVD/CD PLayer
Receiver
Sound through either the tv or receiver

I believe Diagram TCBDR1C

Norm In Norman
12/20/2006, 04:12 PM
I thought you had a Panasonic, Norm....did you get another one?
Yep, I just got another one last week. I wanted something smaller (overall, not screen wise) and something with a built in HD tuner.

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 04:14 PM
I'm sure the new flat screen LCD and Plasmas have a way better HD pic than my rear projection set does but hell, it's only about 3 years old or so, so I can't see buying a new one.......yet. :)

Norm In Norman
12/20/2006, 04:27 PM
I just bought the KDF-55E2000 and the picture is great! I didn't want to pony up and pay $630 more for the KDS (1080p) version. In person, the picture was very similar and the only noticable difference was on a HDDVD.
I could tell a difference. The KDS is the SXRD version, so there wasn't really any screen door effect. The colors seemed a little deeper to me too (at least with the crummy signal Best Buy was sending, all things being equally crummy). But not much. The viewing distance was about 6 feet away at the store.

Watching football on Fox with it is enough to make me weep. i can't wait until the bowl game.

Boomer.....
12/20/2006, 05:01 PM
That would be

HDTV
Cable Box
DVD/CD PLayer
Receiver
Sound through either the tv or receiver

I believe Diagram TCBDR1C
My DVD/CD player/Reciever is one unit. It holds 5 disks and has a surround sound speakers going to it. There is no additional reciever. Also, I only have my cable going to the HD DVR and the Cox component cables going from the DVR to the TV. Why do I need a splitter with a direct connection to my tv?

85Sooner
12/20/2006, 06:54 PM
My DVD/CD player/Reciever is one unit. It holds 5 disks and has a surround sound speakers going to it. There is no additional reciever. Also, I only have my cable going to the HD DVR and the Cox component cables going from the DVR to the TV. Why do I need a splitter with a direct connection to my tv?

THis is designed for home theater install , not box systems.

to answer your question though. the splitter allows optional tv tuner/ cable tuner veiwing. (can come in handy when recording) Since you have a box system just ignore he DVD part and check hdtv, cablebox, and receiver.

When that DVD player breaks, get separates!

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 06:57 PM
THis is designed for home theater install , not box systems.

to answer your question though. the splitter allows optional tv tuner/ cable tuner veiwing. (can come in handy when recording) Since you have a box system just ignore he DVD part and check hdtv, cablebox, and receiver.

When that DVD player breaks, get separates!

:nods:

I will never again buy something that is neither fish nor fowl.

Preservation Parcels
12/20/2006, 07:58 PM
What a great idea! We have a 20 year-old antenna in the attic, LG HDTV, DVD player, and VHS player/recorder. I didn't find a diagram for it.

Is there a way to "back down" the signal so that the closer stations will show in HDTV? The more distant stations come in fine, but the ones with closer transmitters only come in with an analog signal. Thank you.

85Sooner
12/21/2006, 09:24 AM
What a great idea! We have a 20 year-old antenna in the attic, LG HDTV, DVD player, and VHS player/recorder. I didn't find a diagram for it.

Is there a way to "back down" the signal so that the closer stations will show in HDTV? The more distant stations come in fine, but the ones with closer transmitters only come in with an analog signal. Thank you.

Did you enter
HDTV
Antenna
Recorder
DVD/CD PLayer

ITS there. called t1dvc

depending on the antenna, you just need to adjust(keep moving) it.

Preservation Parcels
12/21/2006, 10:09 AM
Thank you. It worked when I checked the "No AV Receiver" option. Originally, I checked "Sound from TV And/Or Audio/Video Receiver?" because the sound does come from the tv. Perhaps it would be helpful, although it would be a lot of work, to have a hover or pop-out menu of definitions for those of us who read too much into it.

This is a terrific idea, and so needed because new hook-ups are so rare. The diagram is very clear, the cable list is genius. Thank you.

Boomer.....
12/21/2006, 11:23 AM
My DVD/CD combo is about 5 years old, so soon I will be getting a new set up. Thanks for your help, 85.

85Sooner
12/21/2006, 02:59 PM
bump, so as many who want to can try it. I appreciate all the feedback. Very much!!!

Beef
12/21/2006, 03:05 PM
I bought a motorcycle instead of an HDTV, so I have no feedback. Sorry.

Mjcpr
1/5/2007, 10:21 AM
So, how do you sign in to this again?

:O

85Sooner
1/5/2007, 10:54 AM
So, how do you sign in to this again?

:O

Just sign up. No biggie.

Mjcpr
1/5/2007, 10:58 AM
Will it tell me how to get the TV audio through the (not really) surround sound sytem? :D

85Sooner
1/5/2007, 11:09 AM
Will it tell me how to get the TV audio through the (not really) surround sound sytem? :D

You just need an audio cable running from the audio out of the tv to an aux or tv input on the bose unit.

Mjcpr
1/5/2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I did that and it isn't working for some reason. There just isn't any audio. I have something wrong somewhere. It mentioned several times that if your Audio Out plug says fixed and/or var, you have to turn the TV sound way up and the TV speaker off or something. I'm thinking it may have something to do with that but I'm not sure.

So the cable box shouldn't have to run through the Bose unit though, right? Those two components don't connect in anyway except that they both are connected to the TV.

sanantoniosooner
1/5/2007, 11:42 AM
I signed up.

Why did I get an email about Paul Thompson?

;)

85Sooner
1/5/2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I did that and it isn't working for some reason. There just isn't any audio. I have something wrong somewhere. It mentioned several times that if your Audio Out plug says fixed and/or var, you have to turn the TV sound way up and the TV speaker off or something. I'm thinking it may have something to do with that but I'm not sure.

So the cable box shouldn't have to run through the Bose unit though, right? Those two components don't connect in anyway except that they both are connected to the TV.

What tv? on some tv's, you must turn the internal audio off to send the audio to the receiver. Try that.

85Sooner
1/5/2007, 10:59 PM
Mjcpr,
did you try the last idea...... it may be the answer

Mjcpr
1/6/2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not at home so I won't be able to try any of the suggestions until Sunday; however, I did turn the TV audio off when I originally hooked it up and that's when I got the static and silence.