PDA

View Full Version : Sooners in the Pro Bowl!

Collier11
12/19/2006, 04:45 PM
Roy Williams, Tommie Harris, Jammal Brown...did I miss anyone??

Widescreen
12/19/2006, 04:49 PM
Weird. According to UT fans, Roy Williams is the worst safety in the history of the NFL.

Collier11
12/19/2006, 04:51 PM
Ya well, youve got to be pretty bad to be in what...4 straight Pro-Bowls

Sooner_Havok
12/19/2006, 04:51 PM
Weird. According to UT fans, Roy Williams is the worst safety in the history of the NFL.

The knock on TRRW is that is is not a great pass stopping saftey. He is one of the best run stoppers however. Normally a guy is better at either defending the pass or the run, Roy just happens to be great at stopping the run, and only above average at stopping the pass.

Collier11
12/19/2006, 04:52 PM
Ala Darren Woodson I suppose

Sooner_Havok
12/19/2006, 04:54 PM
Only greater :D

Collier11
12/19/2006, 04:54 PM
ooooooh, I heard that!

Sooner_Havok
12/19/2006, 04:55 PM
snap!

the_ouskull
12/19/2006, 05:28 PM

Yeah, well according to UT fans, they're a better program, historically; orange is a "cool" color, Austin doesn't have an excessive homosexual population (NTTAWWT). and Vince Young DOESN'T look like Uncle Rico when he throws the ball.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/VinceYouncleRico.gif

the_ouskull

All_Day_28
12/19/2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, well according to UT fans, they're a better program, historically; orange is a "cool" color, Austin doesn't have an excessive homosexual population (NTTAWWT). and Vince Young DOESN'T look like Uncle Rico when he throws the ball.

the_ouskull
lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lolololololololololololol

that is classic

flopshotjoe99
12/19/2006, 05:43 PM
Roy doesn't do well against the deep ball, but he'll rattle your teeth lose if you come across the middle.

Collier11
12/19/2006, 05:44 PM
the_ouskull strikes again...damned silent assasin...:)

soonersam
12/19/2006, 06:07 PM
God Bless him, but he's blown a few deep balls the last two years.... the Washington game last year against Santana Moss was terrible.

TXBOOMER
12/19/2006, 10:11 PM
I see safeties getting burned every week. For some reason when it is Roy every one in texass runs their mouth. You take a guy that runs a 4.6 or 4.7 and say cover a guy that runs a 4.4 and by the way our cornerbacks are not going to bump them on the line and we are not going to put any pressure on the QB. And I'll show you a guy that will get burned every so often. How many Oskies does he have compared to other safeties????? He is not near as bad a pass coverage as the texass media and the texass fans (phil Simms) make him out to be.

crimson&cream
12/20/2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe his coverag skill are mediocre and I've heard talk to move up to play more like an LB, but he makes up for his coverage skills in many other ways.

Tear Down This Wall
12/20/2006, 11:06 AM
Did anyone else catch Jammal Brown blocking Roy Williams out of the screen pass TD to Reggie Bush a couple of weeks ago? That was pretty cool, Sooners on both sides of the ball in on the same play. Didn't work out well for Roy, but it made Jammal Brown look like a monster for keeping up with Bush down the sideline most of the way.

Beef
12/20/2006, 11:23 AM
Jammal starting the Pro Bowl caught me off guard. Not from a talent perspective, but just that I hadn't heard he was having such a great season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2006, 11:54 AM
Jammal starting the Pro Bowl caught me off guard. Not from a talent perspective, but just that I hadn't heard he was having such a great season.

dude, he's been having a monster year at LT. NO is going to have to pay him a mint over the next 10 years.

tbl
12/20/2006, 11:59 AM
TRRW has coverage issues... that cannot be denied. Lately he hasn't been laying hits either. I mean, if you're not going to cover well, at least keep doing what you're known for.

sooner94
12/20/2006, 12:04 PM

There are some OU fans that post here that think Roy Williams isn't very good.

BillyBall
12/20/2006, 12:07 PM
For all of Roy Williams "coverage issues", he has 5 picks and 13 pass deflections thus far for the year. That ranks 2nd in both categories for starting safeties in the league, just sayin'...

jwlynn64
12/20/2006, 12:10 PM
TRRW has coverage issues... that cannot be denied. Lately he hasn't been laying hits either. I mean, if you're not going to cover well, at least keep doing what you're known for.

I guess that the only two jobs as a safety are to cover deep passes or "laying hits".

Maybe that's a little too simplified for me. Maybe he's doing other jobs on defense that don't show up in the highlight reels.

Last time I looked also, there were two teams on the field. It might be possible that other teams are desgining plays that don't really let Roy knock one of their players out. Even the crappy pro teams have damn good players on them.

OSUAggie
12/20/2006, 12:14 PM
Kevin Williams and Tommie Harris starting next to each other @ DT for the NFC... Kinda strange.

OSU has 2 starters in the Pro Bowl, both @ DT.... Weird for a school that is consistently pathetic on D. Must be bad coaching.

Pretty sure Roy Williams is at least a top-5 safety in the NFL, and might be the best defensive player to ever wear Crimson & Cream, which is saying quite a bit.

jwlynn64
12/20/2006, 12:45 PM
Of course Tommie not playing next to anyone in this years Pro Bowl. Out for the season is what I've heard.

TexasSooner01
12/20/2006, 12:56 PM
TRRW Rocks!

Bourbon St Sooner
12/20/2006, 01:00 PM

Jammal's had an outstanding year, especially being his first year at Left Tackle, going against everybody's best pass rusher each week. If you haven't noticed, Brees hasn't spent much time on the turf. The only way Demarcus Ware could get around JB was to jump offsides.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/20/2006, 01:03 PM
Lee Roy Selmon is the best defensive player to ever wear Crimson & Cream, which is saying quite a bit.

Fixed it for ya....

Roy is top 5 no doubt. But it will take perhaps the next "prototype" defender to ever unseat Lee Roy... because he was the modern era prototype DE at every level- H.S., college, and NFL.

starrca23
12/20/2006, 01:11 PM
Texass fans also believe in the magic power of the liger.

EstablishedSooner1967
12/20/2006, 02:47 PM
I lov the Sooners and like the Cowboys... but RW did not deserve to go this year...

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/20/2006, 04:26 PM
I lov the Sooners and like the Cowboys... but RW did not deserve to go this year...
In the NFL you don't hafta deserve anything to go anywhere.

jwlynn64
12/20/2006, 04:56 PM

Who should have went instead of him and back it up with stats? For the Record, I don't know if he deserved to go or not.

OSUAggie
12/20/2006, 05:10 PM
Fixed it for ya....

Roy is top 5 no doubt. But it will take perhaps the next "prototype" defender to ever unseat Lee Roy... because he was the modern era prototype DE at every level- H.S., college, and NFL.

I said might... which was leaving room for Selmon, Bosworth, whomever..... He's in the discussion.

tulsaoilerfan
12/20/2006, 07:58 PM
For all of Roy Williams "coverage issues", he has 5 picks and 13 pass deflections thus far for the year. That ranks 2nd in both categories for starting safeties in the league, just sayin'...
I remember Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters getting toasted on a weekly basis when i was growing up, and i know Harris went to a lot of pro bowls; all we see is the last defender getting burned, but unless you are a coach, you have no clue who is really at fault; again, most safeties are not good at deep coverage or they would be cornerbacks:pop:

47straight
12/21/2006, 07:48 PM
The knock on TRRW is that is is not a great pass stopping saftey. He is one of the best run stoppers however. Normally a guy is better at either defending the pass or the run, Roy just happens to be great at stopping the run, and only above average at stopping the pass.

Most strong safeties who are really good at stopping the pass play free safety or cornerback.

47straight
12/21/2006, 07:50 PM
I see safeties getting burned every week. For some reason when it is Roy every one in texass runs their mouth. You take a guy that runs a 4.6 or 4.7 and say cover a guy that runs a 4.4 and by the way our cornerbacks are not going to bump them on the line and we are not going to put any pressure on the QB. And I'll show you a guy that will get burned every so often. How many Oskies does he have compared to other safeties????? He is not near as bad a pass coverage as the texass media and the texass fans (phil Simms) make him out to be.

That much football logic would make the offices of the Dallas Morning Fiction spontaneously combust.

goingoneight
12/21/2006, 11:13 PM

the_ouskull

... and nothing good ever comes out of OU [cough! Darrell Royal cough! Mack Brown!]... :rolleyes: