PDA

View Full Version : Camera question

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 02:17 PM
I cant remember if I have seen a thread regarding new cameras but anyway. I am thinking about purchasing a new camera for myself. I figured I can get better information and especially more entertaining commentary than the guy getting paid minimum wage at best buy. I'm looking at one of those smaller ones with the screen on the back side. Are they pretty much all the same? Certain brand I should look for? Certain features I should be interested in? TIA.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 02:25 PM
I just bought the Canon 540 for my father. It is 6 MP and has a 2.5 inch screen on the back with 4x (I think) digital zoom. Uses 2 AA batteries and SD cards. At Amazon.com, $159. For the money, a very good camera. The Mrs and I have an older version of this Canon camera. We are very happy with this camera.

EDIT: My Dad wanted a point and shoot digital camera, not too small. He liked the Olympus (I have no idea why, I think it was highly advertized)...I asked him about the type of recording media it used and if he could put it in the computer. He goes..."you need a chip?" I asked him how he expected to see the photos, he expected to look at them in the camera...

So, the above camera I think is good for non-techie people as well as technology oriented people.

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2006, 02:33 PM
I've been mostly happy with a couple different Canons. The Powershot A-series might be a good place to start looking.

dehr.. what THA said

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 02:34 PM
I think the 540 is a Powershot.

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 02:42 PM
Do these digital ones have a black and white photo option?

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2006, 02:43 PM
Sure.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 02:45 PM
I don't know. They have multiple adjustments, I would check it out to confirm. I wasn't interested in that feature. Can't tell if Partial is being helpful or sarcastic (not a slam PQ).

EDIT: PQ, I hope you didn't take my comment above about the 540 as being snotty. I didn't pay much attention to the model name, just the number... So I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same camera line.

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 02:46 PM
We have the A540 and it kicks major buttage. You can't go wrong with this point and shooter.

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 02:48 PM
I'll have to check out this A 540 you guys speak so highly of.

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a540-review/

WILBURJIM
12/19/2006, 02:57 PM
Anyone ever have a digital camera just die on them? I have a Canon S230(3.2MP) that we bought a few years ago and the LCD does not display an image nor does the camera take a photo. Warranty has run out, is it worth getting fixed? Looked at? I am guessing it'd be cost effective just to get a new camera.

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 02:58 PM
Upgrade to the A540! ;)

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2006, 02:59 PM
I don't know. They have multiple adjustments, I would check it out to confirm. I wasn't interested in that feature. Can't tell if Partial is being helpful or sarcastic (not a slam PQ).

EDIT: PQ, I hope you didn't take my comment above about the 540 as being snotty. I didn't pay much attention to the model name, just the number... So I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same camera line.

hey. I'm the guy around here whom you never, ever have to worry about insulting :) but thankspek to you.

I'm pretty sure they all do B/W nowadays.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/19/2006, 03:06 PM
I agree with the Canon A530. As for shooting in black and white, I wouldn't do this. I'd shoot in colour then put it in an editing program to remove the colour.

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 03:08 PM
No the A540, it has a bigger lcd screen for old eyes.

Mjcpr
12/19/2006, 03:18 PM
I agree with the Canon A530. As for shooting in black and white, I wouldn't do this. I'd shoot in colour then put it in an editing program to remove the colour.

I didn't know you were British.

C&CDean
12/19/2006, 03:18 PM

WTF, are you british now?

C&CDean
12/19/2006, 03:19 PM
Man you gotta get up early to beat pat.

Mjcpr
12/19/2006, 03:35 PM
Man you gotta get up early to beat pat.

My flat or yours?

:D

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 03:38 PM
No the A540, it has a bigger lcd screen for old eyes.

Hence, why I got it for my 79 y.o. dad...

(which he will probably never use, but what he really wanted....)

skycat
12/19/2006, 03:48 PM
What are you going to take pictures of?

People inside (kids birthday parties, drunk chicks at bars)?

Landscapes?

Kids playing sports?

Something else?

No one compact is the best at everything, so you need to decide what's important to you and then go from there.

skycat
12/19/2006, 04:02 PM
Anyway, since I don't know if I'll be able to check the board for a while, I'll say this:

it seems that most people mostly take indoor shots of people. If that describes you, take a long look at the FujiFilm F30. It's easily the best low-light point and shoot compact camera available on the market.

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 04:10 PM
Mostly outdoor pics. Outcrops and what not. The occasional half naked chick in my bed. Normal stuff like that.

RacerX
12/19/2006, 04:27 PM
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7705/7705156_ra.jpg

skycat
12/19/2006, 04:46 PM
Mostly outdoor pics. Outcrops and what not. The occasional half naked chick in my bed. Normal stuff like that.

Alright then. If I was looking for a compact to take pictures of outcroppings like that, I'd want a lens with a true wide angle (i.e. a 28mm equivalent lens).

Now, as opposed the Fuji that I recommended above, I've never used nor bought either of these cameras, so I can't really give my personal recommendation, but based on www.dpreview.com, I would go with either the Canon Powershot SD800 IS for ~$400, or if that was too rich the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 for ~$260.

The Panasonic got a good, but not excellent official review from the site, while the Canon hasn't been reviewed yet. But based on the reader reviews, and the performance of the previous Canon's in that class, I would be surprised if it's not an excellent camera. The Canon has an optical viewfinder which is really nice when glare from the sun makes it hard to see the rear LCD. The Panasonic is smaller, which might be more conveinent for you.

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 04:54 PM
Alright then. If I was looking for a compact to take pictures of outcroppings like that, I'd want a lens with a true wide angle (i.e. a 28mm equivalent lens).

Now, as opposed the Fuji that I recommended above, I've never used nor bought either of these cameras, so I can't really give my personal recommendation, but based on www.dpreview.com, I would go with either the Canon Powershot SD800 IS for ~$400, or if that was too rich the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 for ~$260.

The Panasonic got a good, but not excellent official review from the site, while the Canon hasn't been reviewed yet. But based on the reader reviews, and the performance of the previous Canon's in that class, I would be surprised if it's not an excellent camera. The Canon has an optical viewfinder which is really nice when glare from the sun makes it hard to see the rear LCD. The Panasonic is smaller, which might be more conveinent for you.

Thanks! Size is not really a factor. I doesnt need to be the size of a credit card. But would rather it not be the size of most traditional cameras. I'll look into the SD800. I want it to be a grreat camera cause I dont want to buy a new one in a few years cause its a piece or cause the current technology is obsolete.

C&CDean
12/19/2006, 04:55 PM
I like listening to you ****ing hillbillies talk all fancy about digital cameras like you have a ****ing clue or something.

I bought momma a Kodak C875 last week. It's 8 MP, and any old dumbass can take real good pictures or shoot a little video with it. It was on sale for about $139-$149 (I can't remember for sure).

skycat
12/19/2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks! Size is not really a factor. I doesnt need to be the size of a credit card. But would rather it not be the size of most traditional cameras. I'll look into the SD800. I want it to be a grreat camera cause I dont want to buy a new one in a few years cause its a piece or cause the current technology is obsolete.

Well, there is no doubt that a camera in 3 or 4 years time will be capable of doing a lot more than any camera you buy right now for the same amount of money. It's just the way it is.

That certainly doesn't mean that a camera you buy now won't take excellent pictures for years to come. And that Canon has a lot of nice features and a fine lens, in a body that will make it easy for you to carry it along with you whenever you want.

The about the camera that I don't like is that it doesn't have manual control features like Aperture- and Shutter-priority. If you're the type that thinks you want to read a little about photography and get a little more "serious" about it, then I wouldn't necessarily think this is the right camera for you. But if that's not your thing, then I'd really give it a look.

skycat
12/19/2006, 05:07 PM
I like listening to you ****ing hillbillies talk all fancy about digital cameras like you have a ****ing clue or something.

I bought momma a Kodak C875 last week. It's 8 MP, and any old dumbass can take real good pictures or shoot a little video with it. It was on sale for about $139-$149 (I can't remember for sure).

I'm from Kansas, I may be a hayseed, but we've got no hills for hillbillies to reside on.

Petro-Sooner
12/19/2006, 05:07 PM
Sky,

According to the Canon web site that particular camera has something called, digital ELPH. WTF is that? Also these things can record like a camcorder for short perods of time? Well good grief What will they think of next.

skycat
12/19/2006, 05:20 PM
ELPH is just a line of small cameras that Canon has been selling since the film days.

And pretty much all digital compact cameras will let you take video clips with them. That's not true for the dSLR's and some others because of the way they're built, but for most all of the smallish cameras you find at Best Buy it is.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/19/2006, 05:41 PM
One thing to consider is if you get the Canon we have suggested, spring for another $20 for the battery charger. Also, get the warranty.

OCUDad
12/19/2006, 05:44 PM
RacerX is right on target. The Canon S3 IS. Even the S2 IS if you can still find one. Awesome camera. Also takes great movie clips.

skycat
12/19/2006, 06:14 PM
The S3 IS is a different kind of camera than then ones I recommended. It's lens isn't nearly as wide on the short end, but it gives you much more reach on the long end. It's not as compact as the SD800. It is much more configurable though.

The S3 and the SD800 are just different kinds of cameras. Some things you can do with one of them you can't do with the other.

OUinFLA
12/19/2006, 08:53 PM
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7705/7705156_ra.jpg

ding ding ding.
We have a winner folks!

I just bought the S2 model for my sis for a Christmas present. If you are wanting a ZOOM feature, the 12X and 10X cameras are lots of fun. The Canon S3 or S2(which is closing out cheap at lots of stores) has a great Image Stabilization feature that takes the shake out.

best camera comparison page with reviews I have encountered is
Camera comparison page (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php)

WILBURJIM
12/19/2006, 09:11 PM
best camera comparison page with reviews I have encountered is
Camera comparison page (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php)
I found a lot of good sites for comparison, I'll have to check out dcresource. I also found a site that had good details on the problem my Canon is having. It seems Sony supplied bad CCD image sensors to many Camera manufacturers. They are not doing a recall, so even if you filled out your warranty registration you won't be notified about this problem. Alot of Cameras on this list. Here's just the Canon digital cameras affected:

* PowerShot A60
* PowerShot A70
* PowerShot A75
* PowerShot A300
* PowerShot A310
* PowerShot S230 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS V3 / IXY D320
* PowerShot SD100 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS II / IXY Digital 30
* PowerShot SD110 Digital ELPH / Digital IXUS IIs / IXY Digital 30a

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html#cause

VeeJay
12/19/2006, 09:49 PM
I have a Nikon CoolPix 8700 (comparable to the D50, but without interchangeable Nikkor lenses - still, it comes with a 35-200 zoom). It's closer in size to a regular SLR camera.

I wanted something that would fit in my pocket for upcoming trips out of town and settled on the Nikon L6, which is 6.0 mpx (plenty unless you're doing photography for billboard ads), and all the bells and whistles of any other point and shoot - very easy to operate. It also has a larger (2.5") screen on the back. Downfalls: these cameras in the $179- $199 range normally do not have Li-ion rechargeable batteries, so I'm sure I'll need plenty of AA batteries on long outings.

But, it beats taking rolls of film to Wal-Mart or Walgreens where the colors get screwed up.

soonerboomer93
12/19/2006, 10:47 PM
you can buy rechargeable AA batteries also

SCOUT
12/19/2006, 11:52 PM
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and I think it is the best camera ever. It isn't really what you are looking for, but I have to put in at least one good word for Canon.

If you wind up looking at one of those credit card point and shoot cameras, consider one with image stabilization. Sony has a pretty good feature in this area. It is pretty difficult to hold one of those tiny cameras still for any length of time so the image stabilization becomes more important as the size goes down.

VeeJay
12/20/2006, 09:57 AM
Anyone ever have a digital camera just die on them? I have a Canon S230(3.2MP) that we bought a few years ago and the LCD does not display an image nor does the camera take a photo. Warranty has run out, is it worth getting fixed? Looked at? I am guessing it'd be cost effective just to get a new camera.

Wow! We had the same exact thing happen a few weeks ago with a Canon that Mrs. VJ bought on a trip to CA a couple of years ago. It just stopped working - no display, and it stopped taking pics. I changed batteries and tried to set it back to default settings and nothing happened. I thought about getting it fixed, too, but it's probably cheaper to get her a new one - that's what I'm doing for Christmas, and it won't be a Canon!

Mjcpr
12/20/2006, 09:58 AM
Anyone ever have a digital camera just die on them? I have a Canon S230(3.2MP) that we bought a few years ago and the LCD does not display an image nor does the camera take a photo.

Other than that does it work okay?

sooner_born_1960
12/20/2006, 10:04 AM

Amen. When I go to the kid's school functions, there are 60 parents with 60 different cameras. They all seen satisfied. So just pick one that has what you want.

skycat
12/20/2006, 11:02 AM
And those 60 parents probably came in 40 different kinds of cars that they're perfectly happy with. That analogy works pretty well. If all you're doing is a 5 minute commute, it pretty much doesn't matter what kind of vehicle you drive. If you've got a 2 hour commute in stop and go traffic, than maybe a big ol' SUV that gets 15 mpg isn't the best choice.

The thing with digital cameras right now is that there are so many different models out there that pretty much do the same thing that it's hard to find the models that do something a little different or better. And there are a couple out there that are a little different and can do a few things better than others.

WILBURJIM
12/20/2006, 11:31 AM
Wow! We had the same exact thing happen a few weeks ago with a Canon that Mrs. VJ bought on a trip to CA a couple of years ago. It just stopped working - no display, and it stopped taking pics. I changed batteries and tried to set it back to default settings and nothing happened. I thought about getting it fixed, too, but it's probably cheaper to get her a new one - that's what I'm doing for Christmas, and it won't be a Canon!
VeeJay, check that list of cameras affected. If your Camera is on the list, Canon says they will fix the sensor problem even if the cameras out of warranty. I have just emailed them with a request to have them fix mine.

WILBURJIM
12/20/2006, 11:40 AM
Other than that does it work okay?

Well, the past few months, it has done an excellent job of keeping papers on my desk.:D

The LCD is fine, actually. I found an old card with some images still left, and it displays them beautifully. Yesterday, a local repair guy said contact Canon, as they have sensor problems in some of their models. Sony sensors are the culprit, and they manufacture sensors for a whole smorgasbord of other camera manufacturers as well.