PDA

View Full Version : 10 BURNING QUESTIONS-#7 OU Nat Champs?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2006, 10:48 AM
From the MSN Home Page, 10 Burning Questions for college football fans...

"7. Who has more to prove in the Fiesta Bowl, Boise State or Oklahoma?

Sooners fans will keep beefing about that Oregon officiating if their team beats Boise State. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

Oklahoma. Boise State wants to prove it belongs in the BCS, but the Sooners want to prove they belonged in the title game. If not for the worst officiating calamity in recent NCAA history, which cost the Sooners their game at Oregon, Oklahoma would have finished 12-1 with its lone loss to Texas. College officials — both the striped and bureaucratic types — are probably hoping Ian Johnson runs wild and Boise State pulls off the upset. Otherwise, that call — that nutty call — might forever be seen as costing Oklahoma a shot at the national title. If the Broncos win, however, it'll be hard to make a case that the Sooners would have beaten Ohio State."

OUmillenium
12/19/2006, 10:55 AM
Still, it's nice to see the media remembering how we got shafted and that this year's has finished strongly.

n8v_ndn
12/19/2006, 10:57 AM
All the more motivation to blast the Broncos 60-something to teen-something, although I think it'll be closer than that (not because BSU's that good, but because we'll call off the dogs somewhat).

SoonerStormchaser
12/19/2006, 11:25 AM
I KNOW we could beat Ohio State...just like we could've beaten Miami in 2001!

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2006, 11:46 AM
Still, it's nice to see the media remembering how we got shafted and that this year's has finished strongly.

The media outrage kindof contrasts with the fact that
they DIDN'T VOTE US AS THOUGH WE WON TAHT GAME!!1!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

SleestakSooner
12/19/2006, 11:52 AM
That's the media saying
We're not going to buck the system, but it sure makes a nice story don't ya think?

jwlynn64
12/19/2006, 12:05 PM
Actually, the AP is voting us as if we won that game. The only two win team a head of us is LSU and they're also in front of Wisconsin (1 loss) and Louisville (1 loss). They have us in front of USC who most everyone has as the second best 2 loss team.

You mighit make an argument that we should be in front of Wisconsis or not but I think that most people would say that the Louisville loss (almost going into overtime on the road at Rutgers) was a better performance than our sloppy loss to Texas this year.

I'm actually surprised that the AP seems to be walking the walk and just not talking the talk.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/19/2006, 12:14 PM
I don't think we would have beaten miami in 2001. We only scored 10 points against arky. It would have been fun to see how our defense would have matched up against them though.

12/20/2006, 12:34 AM
I, too, don't get the impression that either the team or the fans are feeling super confident about playing tOSU, or even suc for that matter. However, I sure am certain that the refs hosed us again, a bunch, this year.

Bruiser53
12/20/2006, 01:16 AM
I don't know if we would have deserved a national title shot even with a W at Oregon. The Big 12 is not as strong as in previous years as seen in the non conference results. I think Michigan or Florida would still have a better case than us. You do have to give us credit for taking care of buisness against teams we were better than in the last part of the season. Many teams teams could have gone into one of those games not ready to play, but not our Sooners. Overall, I have no complaints about this season. We are benifciaries of Karma here because we did end up where we belonged- BCS champs and in the BCS bowl.

yermom
12/20/2006, 01:18 AM
we could have maybe made the game though, with a win we can talk **** about that for a long time :D

if we win we should be something like #3 in the AP

Vaevictis
12/20/2006, 01:21 AM
Sooners fans will keep beefing about that Oregon officiating if their team beats Boise State. (Ronald Martinez / Getty Images)

I'm going to keep beefing either way. It has nothing to do with national title implications.

Our team was plain old cheated. And would be bitter about that whether it's a 1 loss, 2 loss or 8 loss season.

It's especially grevious because:

1. Everyone knows the Pac10's non-conference officiating borders on cheating -- when it isn't crossing the line to straight up cheating, that is.
2. Everyone knows the Pac10 ain't going to do jack **** about it.
3. ... because everyone knows the Pac10 LIKES it that way.

Blues1
12/20/2006, 01:50 AM
As far as I can remember ?? - All year Long Boise State were ahead of us in the most polls - Sometimes keeping us out of the Top15 - For me that Pi$$ed me off...The time to find out IF they deserve that ranking is coming Jan 1st.... So to me they have More to prove than The Sooners...I understand on any Given Saturday anything can happen in College Football ,,,BUT IF we play our best -- and they play their Best I still Say---- OU 52 - BS State 22....

Keep and Stay Rockin'

12/20/2006, 02:12 AM
Variable Prediction: OU 28 or 35-BSU 14 or 17

Texas Golfer
12/20/2006, 02:49 AM
I hope our players play like we have more to lose.

shavedmarmoset
12/20/2006, 03:37 AM
we could have maybe made the game though, with a win we can talk **** about that for a long time :D

Let's not do that. We are not whiners, we are OU fans.

OklaPony
12/20/2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think we would have beaten miami in 2001. We only scored 10 points against arky. It would have been fun to see how our defense would have matched up against them though.
It took me a sec to figure out what the heck you were talking about. I think Sooner StormChaser's reference to Thug U was in regards to our OB victory in January 2001, not the Cotton Bowl vs. Piggly Wiggly. Those fuggers from Miami are STILL ****ed about FS Who going to the title game instead of them.

MiccoMacey
12/20/2006, 09:45 AM
It took me a sec to figure out what the heck you were talking about. I think Sooner StormChaser's reference to Thug U was in regards to our OB victory in January 2001, not the Cotton Bowl vs. Piggly Wiggly.

We would never have beaten Colorado inthe CCG, so it would have been a moot point. We'd never have made it to the Orange Bowl against Miami. I love my Sooners, but we weren't good enough to play for all the marbles in 2001.

Those fuggers from Miami are STILL ****ed about FS Who going to the title game instead of them.

Which makes the 2000 title all the more sweet. :D

12/20/2006, 09:45 AM
It took me a sec to figure out what the heck you were talking about. I think Sooner StormChaser's reference to Thug U was in regards to our OB victory in January 2001, not the Cotton Bowl vs. Piggly Wiggly. Those fuggers from Miami are STILL ****ed about FS Who going to the title game instead of them.Guess ThugU shoulda beaten Fla St when they played earlier that season, eh?

12/20/2006, 09:48 AM
We would never have beaten Colorado inthe CCG, so it would have been a moot point.

Why would you say that?

OklaPony
12/20/2006, 10:38 AM
We would never have beaten Colorado inthe CCG, so it would have been a moot point. We'd never have made it to the Orange Bowl against Miami. I love my Sooners, but we weren't good enough to play for all the marbles in 2001.
I think we're still talking about different seasons. We played in the OB in Jan. 2001, beating FS Who and grating the nerves of Thug U. We played in the Cotton Bowl against Arky in Jan. 2002. Thug U played (thrashed, actually) Nebbish in the Rose Bowl for the title that year, while the Orange Bowl hosted FS Who and Maryland.

Maybe you just confused me by putting Thug U in the Orange Bowl in Jan. 2002 after the 2001 season. :confused:

Which makes the 2000 title all the more sweet. :D
Man, isn't that the truth. That was easily one of the best games I've ever been to, EVAR!

MiccoMacey
12/20/2006, 02:47 PM
I was talking about the 2001 season/2002 Rose Bowl in my original statement. I think I mitakenly called it the Orange Bowl. But I was referring to not making the NC game because I believe we would have lost the CCG.

I don't think we'd have beaten Colorado in the 2001 CCG. We were not a good offense, and they were on a roll. They crushed Nebraska, whom we had already lost to, the week before. We had difficulty with OSU at our own home and lost. We beat Texas that year because JW came off the bench and directed our lone offensive TD. He was gone for the year by then.

Our defense would have kept us in the game, but our offense wouldn't have been able to pull it out in my opinion.

I was talking about the 2000 season/2001 Orange Bowl in my last statement. The fact they are still mad that FSU took the ***-whooping instead of them now makes it one of my more memorable Sooner games ever.

FlatheadSooner
12/20/2006, 11:04 PM
Even if we stomp Boise St., there will remain the questions - why did it take our defense so long in the season to turn itself around; how could we let Oregon score on us so easily late in the game; how did we lose convincingly to TX, etc., etc..

Let's just be thankful that we are in the position we are in!! We came back from adversity. That's a great story, and one that many more will buy into.

BOOMER!!

goingoneight
12/20/2006, 11:19 PM
Guess ThugU shoulda beaten Fla St when they played earlier that season, eh?

ahem... they did.

tbl
12/20/2006, 11:29 PM
I have a feeling we'll have to go undefeated and play a hard schedule before the voters put us back in there.

12/21/2006, 01:20 AM
ahem... they did.My bad. Thugs won over Criminoles by 3 points. Thugs lost to U of Washington, second game of season. Fast forward to now. Looks like Fla Gators are building a juggernaut right now, 2006, eh?