PDA

View Full Version : Highrise apartments

Penguin
12/18/2006, 07:07 PM
I've always wanted to live in a highrise apartment with a spectacular view. I'm checking out some here in Houston and there are some very nice ones for less than $1,000/month. That's well within my budget.

Has anybody lived in a highrise apartment before? What are some of the drawbacks compared to a regular apartment?

Mongo
12/18/2006, 07:08 PM
neighbors secking it up

royalfan5
12/18/2006, 07:14 PM
If you fall out of the window it will hurt more.

Mongo
12/18/2006, 07:16 PM
Gozer will come and you will have to choose the form of the destructor, and Gozer will totally trash that building

SoonerInKCMO
12/18/2006, 07:17 PM
I've lived in a mid-rise (14 stories) building in downtown KC. The biggest complaint I had other than the poor quality of sound insulation was that it took so much longer to get in and out of. Instead of walking out the door to the car, I had to walk down the hall, wait on the elevator, ride the elevator to the floor with the walkway to the garage, walk back around the building to the garage, get in the car, drive around the garage to get out. Carrying groceries in sucked too.

Is it a purpose built apartment building? Or is it one of those remodeled office buildings with the exposed concrete and ductwork and such? Bare concrete ceilings and floors make for lousy acoustics for listening to music or watching TV. You can also hear the clickety-clack of your upstairs neighbor's high heels on her concrete floor at all hours of the day and night.

Okla-homey
12/18/2006, 07:17 PM
You have to get dressed and ride down in the elevator to let your dog take a poop.

Other than that, enjoy your "dee-lux apartment in the sky."

soonerboomer93
12/18/2006, 07:21 PM
I live in a 15 story building here. I can hear my neighbors from time to time, but it's not too annoying. They way it's setup here, there's 5 apartments per floor, but 1 elevator servers units 1 and 2, and a second serves 3-5 which is really handy so I don't have a long elevator wait many times

Penguin
12/18/2006, 07:22 PM
Is it a purpose built apartment building? Or is it one of those remodeled office buildings with the exposed concrete and ductwork and such? Bare concrete ceilings and floors make for lousy acoustics for listening to music or watching TV. You can also hear the clickety-clack of your upstairs neighbor's high heels on her concrete floor at all hours of the day and night.

I haven't done any legwork, yet. I've just been taking vitual tours on the internets.

KABOOKIE
12/18/2006, 11:41 PM
Make sure you don't get the corner room. Everyone else will see your whacking pron sessions.

soonerboomer93
12/19/2006, 03:03 AM
If you fall out of the window it will hurt more.

I think someone feel out of a window in my complex a couple weeks ago

mrowl
12/19/2006, 06:43 AM
I've always wanted to live in a highrise apartment with a spectacular view.

you thinking NYC? Miami? LA? Seattle?

Chuck Bao
12/19/2006, 07:34 AM
I love having an apartment downtown, close to work and I can ride my bike.

But, I miss having a yard and a dog. Okay, it's mostly about not having a dog.

I hate heights. Views are way, way over-rated, unless you have mountain or ocean (particularly beach) views.

SoonerInKCMO
12/19/2006, 09:47 AM
I hate heights. Views are way, way over-rated, unless you have mountain or ocean (particularly beach) views.

Way over-rated. I had a friend that lived on the 20-something floor of a place in downtown Minneapolis. His view was mostly of the tops of old, dirty mid-rise office buildings.

Hot Rod
12/19/2006, 09:53 AM
Gozer will come and you will have to choose the form of the destructor, and Gozer will totally trash that building

Are you the Key Master?

Tulsa_Fireman
12/19/2006, 12:02 PM
What are some of the drawbacks compared to a regular apartment?

If they catch fire, you can die really easy. Really. Easy.

Don't get in anything over the 8th floor because that's right around where most aerial devices are gonna simply run out of aerial. That + fire = dead people.