PDA

View Full Version : The College Football Playoff Is Right Emerging Right Before Your Eyes

JohnnyMack
12/18/2006, 04:57 PM
1. The BCS Adds a fifth game this year (The BCS Championship). That game is played a week after January 1st.

2. The new Fox BCS Commercials have 4 bowls featured in addition to the BCS Championship, the Orange, the Sugar, the Fiesta and.........the Cotton.

3. The current contract for this format is through the 2009 season.

My prediction for how the BCS Championship will look starting in 2010:

January 1

Cotton Bowl
BCS #1 vs. BCS #4

Fiesta Bowl
BCS #2 vs. BCS #3

January 2nd

Orange Bowl
BCS At Large vs. BCS At Large

January 3rd

Sugar Bowl
BCS at Large vs. BCS At Large

January 8th
BCS CHAMPIONSHIP - ORANGE BOWL
Cotton Bowl Champion vs. Fiesta Bowl Champion

The bowls will rotate each year. Each year 3 of the 4 four bowls will host either the semi-finals or the finals. I also think Jerry Jones will make a major push to get the Cotton Bowl moved to his new stadium. The Rose Bowl will be out (and neither they nor the BCS seem to care). This will be the +1 System, FOX style.

soonervegas
12/18/2006, 05:21 PM
As a college football fan I could live with a 4 team playoff, but that is a slippery slope. Next thing you know it is a 24 team playoff and we have a 1st round bye waiting the outcome of the South Carolina vs. Arizona State snore fest.

jrsooner
12/18/2006, 05:24 PM
My prediction for how the BCS Championship will look starting in 2010:
January 1
Cotton Bowl
BCS #1 vs. BCS #4
Fiesta Bowl
BCS #2 vs. BCS #3

January 2nd
Orange Bowl
BCS At Large vs. BCS At Large

January 3rd

Sugar Bowl
BCS at Large vs. BCS At Large

January 8th
BCS CHAMPIONSHIP - ORANGE BOWL
Cotton Bowl Champion vs. Fiesta Bowl ChampionThat still doesn't give us a "true" champion, why not:

Day 1:
BCS #1 vs. BCS #4
BCS #2 vs. BCS #3

Day 2:
BCS #1 vs. BCS #2
BCS #4 vs. BCS #3

Day 3:
BCS #1 vs. BCS #3
BCS #2 vs. BCS #4

Whoever has the best record, then they are crowned. :) Otherwise you could always say one team had an easier path than the other team.

SoonerStormchaser
12/18/2006, 05:25 PM
What about the Rose Bowl...ya left it out entirely.

JohnnyMack
12/18/2006, 05:36 PM
What about the Rose Bowl...ya left it out entirely.

I know. Word is they want out.

mrowl
12/18/2006, 05:45 PM
they are already halfway out, with their own TV contract.

JohnnyMack
12/18/2006, 05:58 PM
You'd have a brand new venue in Dallas, a virtually new venue in Glendale, a totally refurbished Superdome and the Orange bowl. All nice places to have a Championship Game.

TopDawg
12/18/2006, 06:10 PM
As a college football fan I could live with a 4 team playoff, but that is a slippery slope. Next thing you know it is a 24 team playoff and we have a 1st round bye waiting the outcome of the South Carolina vs. Arizona State snore fest.

A 4-team playoff wouldn't be what put us on the slope. Going to the BCS championship game did. That was the game that put us on the "determine it on the field" slope. Which, in my opinion, is a good slope to be on.

But I do hope that we don't go too far with it. I think a 24-team playoff is a little bit further off than you suggest. In fact, I don't think it will ever happen. If it really is the "next thing ya know", then I'm guessing you would've had to have gone into a pretty long coma. ;)

JohnnyMack
12/18/2006, 06:16 PM
A 4-team playoff wouldn't be what put us on the slope. Going to the BCS championship game did. That was the game that put us on the "determine it on the field" slope. Which, in my opinion, is a good slope to be on.

But I do hope that we don't go too far with it. I think a 24-team playoff is a little bit further off than you suggest. In fact, I don't think it will ever happen. If it really is the "next thing ya know", then I'm guessing you would've had to have gone into a pretty long coma. ;)

Why do you hate Rumpelstiltskin?

Collier11
12/18/2006, 06:34 PM
I like most fans want a playoff desperately, the problem with a 4 team playoff though is there are going to be numerous lawsuits. If there is a playoff it will have to include the conf. champ from each conference even if we all know there is no way they could compete. You cant have a Division 1 playoff and not inlcude every conf. from div. 1. Lets hope whatever they choose to do that they do it soon, this current system like the previous is crap crap crap!!

josh09
12/18/2006, 06:56 PM
Id rather do the top 8 in the AP poll in a playoff. That would work just fine.

Frozen Sooner
12/18/2006, 07:01 PM
A "playoff" that does not include the Big 10 or Pac 10 champion is a farce. The Big 10 and Pac 10 are not going to sever their tie to the Rose Bowl.

Collier11
12/18/2006, 07:35 PM
I like the idea of doing the every conference champion plus the next 5 highest rated bcs or AP teams, though I doubt we will ever have a 16 team playoff. The bowls could be included easily, though the big 10 and pac 10 wouldnt be gauranteed in the Rose Bowl, but one conf hasnt been represented in the Rose Bowl for three or four years in the past 5 or 6 anyways

SoonerInKCMO
12/18/2006, 07:35 PM
Playoff, playoff, playoff.

Here's an idea since everyone has such a hard on for 'settling it on the field': completely forego the traditional regular season. How, you ask?

Add 9 teams to division I-A giving a total of 128. Divide those 128 into 32 groups of 4. Let the groups play three weeks of round-robin. Take the top two teams from each group and make 16 groups of 4. Three more weeks of round-robin. Take the top two teams from each of those groups and create a 32-team double-elimination tournament. 62 or 63 games later... undisputed national champion. Sound like fun?

Collier11
12/18/2006, 07:39 PM
Playoff, playoff, playoff.

Here's an idea since everyone has such a hard on for 'settling it on the field': completely forego the traditional regular season. How, you ask?

Add 9 teams to division I-A giving a total of 128. Divide those 128 into 32 groups of 4. Let the groups play three weeks of round-robin. Take the top two teams from each group and make 16 groups of 4. Three more weeks of round-robin. Take the top two teams from each of those groups and create a 32-team double-elimination tournament. 62 or 63 games later... undisputed national champion. Sound like fun?

Worst Idea ever

yermom
12/18/2006, 08:45 PM
we should just have Swiss style pairings and Elo ratings

MiccoMacey
12/18/2006, 09:05 PM
The next time the National title is determined between the Pac-10 champ and the Big Ten champ in the Rose Bowl will be the first time in...what...twenty or so years?

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:09 PM
or 3

Collier11
12/18/2006, 09:24 PM
or 3

Im pretty sure that LSU won the natl title that year in the Sugar Bowl, Usc was voted in by a bunch of media ala pre-bcs...I dont count that

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:29 PM
in 10 years or so no one will know the difference

Since71ASooner4Life
12/18/2006, 09:31 PM
I dont think it's ever gonna happen. One reason - there is too much money on the line for each of the major bowls. A playoff de-emphasizes the importance of any bowl placed on a lower wrung in the bracket, and none of them will agree to that. Even the agruement that they rotate the national title game each year like they do now doesn't work. just because the Rose Bowl isn't the title game this year, it's still the rose bowl with all the pagentry. But make it the quarter final in any one year and that crushes the mystique somewhat. The major bowls are thrilled to death every year with or without their game being for the NC becuase of the millions of $$$$ they make regardless.

Collier11
12/18/2006, 09:52 PM
I dont think it's ever gonna happen. One reason - there is too much money on the line for each of the major bowls.

I dont buy that excuse...what do you seriously think would draw a larger tv audience, a larger ticket sales, and more ad space sold on tv, the cotton bowl as it is now or a natl quarterfinal played at the cotton bowl, between say...OU and Auburn for example. I think a playoff would be worth so much more money to everyone

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:58 PM
i think that it might draw more viewers (assuming it's not at 10:00 in the morning)

but who wants to travel to that game on short notice?

the cool thing about the bowls is that you have some lead time, it's hard enough for a normal person to arrange to make one game, two is going to be a lot harder. especially if you want to see if you actually make the game before making plans

the CCG is bad enough

Collier11
12/18/2006, 10:05 PM
Div 1-aa through div 3 fans do it, hs fans do it, nfl fans do it...whats wrong with traveling? Id much rather go to four games in a month or 6 weeks rather than waiting a month and a half just to watch the bowl game

Collier11
12/18/2006, 10:07 PM
It wouldnt be that bad though, do a game the week before finals, another the weekend after christmas, then jan 2-4th and jan 9-11th

yermom
12/18/2006, 10:09 PM
i think those fan bases are also less regional, or are much smaller

playoff games in the NFL are also in home stadiums, not neutral fields potentially hundreds of miles away from both fan bases. i'm not sure about the other college divisions, but they are probably similar

Collier11
12/18/2006, 10:18 PM
well if it was a 16 team playoff, I think the highest ranked teams should get home games for the first two rounds then go neutral, I just would much rather have a playoff then to watch 64 teams including a bunch of 6-6 teams in bowl games that no one cares about

Texas Golfer
12/18/2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know why so many people spend soo much time on something that will not happen in our lifetimes?

Collier11
12/18/2006, 10:59 PM
I don't know why so many people spend soo much time on something that will not happen in our lifetimes?

You must be pretty old, I would put alot of money on a playoff within the next 5-10 years

SoonerMachine
12/18/2006, 11:08 PM
8-team playoff seeded with the top six (out of 11) conference winners + the 2 highest ranked at-large spots.

All bowls remain, including invitations to the six teams eliminated prior to the championship game.

Texas Golfer
12/18/2006, 11:59 PM
You must be pretty old, I would put alot of money on a playoff within the next 5-10 years

And I'm willing to put up a lot of money that there will not be a playoff withing the next 10 years.

JohnnyMack
12/18/2006, 11:59 PM
A "playoff" that does not include the Big 10 or Pac 10 champion is a farce. The Big 10 and Pac 10 are not going to sever their tie to the Rose Bowl.

Money Talks. Tradition will take a back seat to $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

goingoneight
12/19/2006, 12:03 AM
Here's the plan...

Teams ditch all the fancy Non-Conference matchups and only leave enough so you can play every league opponent, for OU, all eleven B12 opponents (including Cornbraska).

Conference Champions and at-large bids make the "Bowl Championship Series" a playoff system where teams square off in the Bowls like the Cotton, the Orange, The Fiesta, The Rose, The Sugar, the Gator, etc. The playoff determines your BCS #1 and BCS #2.

This way, everyone gets their bowl game, the cities don't lose their precious bowl money, and at last the real #1 and #2 team play for it all.

The system is dangerous, as a team like the SUC or Neuter Dame could own the MNC bowl for years, but... you have your playoff. Give about a month delay for BCS 1 and BCS 2 to prepare for the showdown so ESPN can hype it up, fans can make their travel plans, and aggies wait painstakingly for teams like OU to fail, only to be disappointed in the end.

TopDawg
12/19/2006, 12:13 AM
And I'm willing to put up a lot of money that there will not be a playoff withing the next 10 years.

Congratulations Ohio State and Florida. Your accomplishments this year have earned you a spot in the BCS 1-game playoff.

OOPS!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2006, 12:25 AM
Im pretty sure that LSU won the natl title that year in the Sugar Bowl, Usc was voted in by a bunch of media ala pre-bcs...I dont count thatYes, and Michigan wasn't a top contender, so suc would have had to play OU or LSU to win the "real" NC.

Fraggle145
12/19/2006, 04:50 AM
I'm fine with a 4 game playoff... The real question is with that scenario is "who is number 4?" instead of "Who is number 2?" I can live with fuking a team over who could be #4. And if you lose a game then you dont get to complainif you dont get in, you shouldnt have lost. Same as teams that are getting their a$$ beat shouldnt start fights they should be good enough to stop someone...

Second it still keeps the importance of the regular season and your body of work or at least winning almost all of your games. Considering it is the only sport that does that anymore. I think if you lose more than one game you shouldnt be able to win it, JMHO. I also think you should have to win your conference (although I think Michigan should be in this year, but that is a totally separate issue since that rule is not in place and should therefore have no bearing on the outcome)

Furthermore, if college basketabll fans can travel to see more than one game over the course of what 3 wks? (I can never tell because I dont care that much so please correct my stupidity here) then I think college football fans can do the same, sure not all of us can do it (me included), but there are plenty of people with a lot of money that can... When we went to the orange bowl I bought my ticket before the CCG.. have some faith and if sh!t happens sell it for twice as much.

OUmillenium
12/19/2006, 11:04 AM

Would not need their teams unless highly rated. Then the Rose could take the next team in the conference. I guess that would work. Just speculatin

tigepilot
12/19/2006, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Golfer

Congratulations Ohio State and Florida. Your accomplishments this year have earned you a spot in the BCS 1-game playoff.

OOPS!

I was thinking the same thing. This really is just a small 2 team 1 game playoff and we've had ot for several years now. The argument should be do you want a bigger playoff or not.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2006, 01:31 PM
Money Talks. Tradition will take a back seat to $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I don't think you guys realize how much the Rose Bowl means to the alumni and fan bases in the Big 10 and Pac 10. I've heard serious comments from MANY Pac-10 folks that they would prefer to pull out of the BCS entirely so that they could have the Rose Bowl the way they remember it.

JohnnyMack
12/19/2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think you guys realize how much the Rose Bowl means to the alumni and fan bases in the Big 10 and Pac 10. I've heard serious comments from MANY Pac-10 folks that they would prefer to pull out of the BCS entirely so that they could have the Rose Bowl the way they remember it.

SUC didn't have a problem going to the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago. Don't think they would have had a moral conflict over going to Glendale had they made it either.

soonerjoker
12/20/2006, 11:49 AM
many people don't want a play-off.

jwlynn64
12/20/2006, 12:33 PM
A playoff as decribed above will not work because of the travel and expense of going to a big time bowl. This is the point that will not allow a real playoff to happen.

If the early games in the playoff were held on home fields, then it works. In that case however, only the final game would be in the bowl fashion. I also think that the #3 and #4 teams could compete in a bowl game to determine the true #3.

The real question is how do you handle everything up to the final game?