PDA

View Full Version : If Venables or Wilson get HC jobs

stoopified
12/18/2006, 04:21 PM
do you think Cale or Jackie should get a shot at co-o coordinator or d-coordinators job,respectively?Personally I would think they should be.Bob doesn't keep coaches around just out of loyalty so they MUST be doing a good job. We have had others promoted to co-cordinator or hired in as such ,I'm thinking that they are due their shot OR they will look elsewhere.When,not if Wilson and Venables move on do Cale and Jackie get their shots?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/18/2006, 04:26 PM
are any up for a job? Only I heard was Sumlin and he didn't get the LaTech job...it went to Dooley.

Widescreen
12/18/2006, 05:26 PM
Do we really know whether or not Bob doesn't keep coaches around out of loyalty? What do you base that on? AFAIK, he's never fired anyone so all we know is either the coaches are doing a good job or he's loyal to a fault.

DrZaius
12/18/2006, 05:58 PM
Do we really know whether or not Bob doesn't keep coaches around out of loyalty? What do you base that on? AFAIK, he's never fired anyone so all we know is either the coaches are doing a good job or he's loyal to a fault.

I believe that Bob's record speaks that our assistants do pretty well.

oumartin
12/18/2006, 07:41 PM
i believe he is loyal.. but he also hires good assistants for the most part.

mightysooner
12/18/2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think Stoops' assistants are really that highly sought after but that's just my opinion. The only successful coach he's produced is Leach thus far. Mike got a job at Arizona....not a great job.....and Long (never liked this guy) got a job at San Diego State (he will be a failure as a head coach IMO). Those aren't great jobs. I don't think Venables is that highly thought of in the national sense even though he got some well deserved respect for his turn around job this season with the defense. I have to say the only assistants we've had here that I've been impressed with are Leach and Mike Stoops as much as it pains me to say it. I do think Bob is loyal to a fault quite often and tends to think of himself as both a head coach and a career development counselor for his buddies. I think that's what has hurt him the most. Feel free to flame away.....:pop:

AllAboutThe'O'
12/18/2006, 09:40 PM
Well, you can cross Stanford off the list of head coaching vacancies.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2701748

p.s. Funny that schools such as Stanford can already hire coaches quicker than Alabama can.

badger
12/18/2006, 10:20 PM
no jobs worth taking right now, except MAYBE bama... if you don't mind getting fired in the next five years.

Taxman71
12/19/2006, 10:04 AM
I think people are beginning to realize that being a great coordinator does not necessarily equate to being a good head coach. I call it the Gary Gibbs Syndrome. With the money involved with DI football these days, your head coach has to have the management, personal and discipline skills to coordinate all the facets of the program to be successful. Stoops appears to be very structured and detail oriented and has flourished. I have no idea if our other coaches have those skills or even a "gameplan" for heading a program.