PDA

View Full Version : My son scared the bejeezus out of us the other night

achiro
12/18/2006, 03:41 PM
This is my soon to be 7 year old. He had been running a slight temp all day(99.5) but really no big deal, felt fine otherwise. We put him in bed and started watching a movie. About 45 minutes later he goes running by down the hall, I see him and yell in to him and ask why he is out of bed. He comes in with a look of terror on his face. He jumps in mom's lap and starts whimpering and kind of crying. We ask him whats wrong and he stops hugging her, sits back and looks at her with that look of sheer terror on his face, shaking, and stares blankly for a few seconds at her before starting to cry again. We ask if he is ok, he sits up, looks calm and say's yes, we ask if he is awake, he says yes. We ask him a few other questions and he responds yes or no with no problems. Ask what's wrong and he flips out again. At one point, we ask whats wrong and he reaches his hand very slowly up toward my wifes eye and just sits it there just in front of her face, then yanks it back and starts whimpering again. He starts talking in jiberish. Ask, him whats wrong and he starts crying and pointing toward his chest and flipping out again.
He climbs down out of my wifes lap and starts saying, "wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah...des this over and over with a look like he was trying to say something else but thats all that would come out.
At this point I pretty much start freaking out, thinking maybe the fever went out of control. Rushed him to the bathroom, started a bath and checked his temp, it was 99.2. So now I'm really confused. I ask him to show me whats wrong, he graps mommas hand and walks her to his bedroom, climbs into his bed and instantly his facial expression changed back to "normal" he looked around and asked, what was going on?
The only thing I can come up with is tat he was sleepwalking but holy cow, that was some skeery stuff. If it never happens again, I'll be good with it.

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:46 PM
I remember as a kid waking up in my parents bed room while they were talking to me trying either see what was wrong or wake me up from sleepwalking. I had some really freaky dreams as a kid.

frankensooner
12/18/2006, 03:51 PM
One time when I was twelve, I was running a fever and had a hallucination of a sports coat and a hat like Bear Bryant's floating behind me. I was alone in the house and it scared the crap out of me.

Sound like your boy had some night terrors brought on by the fever...sorry.

MiccoMacey
12/18/2006, 03:57 PM
As a parent, that'd scare me to death. I hope you never have to go through something like that again, but I'm relieved to hear it sounds like he was sleepwalking.

Widescreen
12/18/2006, 03:58 PM
I had some weird experiences like that when I was a kid. It was like I'd get stuck between asleep and awake and cause me to freak out.

Boomer.....
12/18/2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe he saw a ghost.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/18/2006, 04:05 PM
One time when I was twelve, I was running a fever and had a hallucination of a sports coat and a hat like Bear Bryant's floating behind me.

Not to sound crass, but that sport coat and hat won its 56th national championship after that encounter. You should feel honored to have met it.

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2006, 04:09 PM
I had the chickenpox when I was in 4th grade and hallucinated really bad. I thought I was on a riverboat with Davy Crockett fighting Mike Fink. I wouldn't touch the carpet; because, I was convinced there were alligators in the river.

Ever since then whenever I get REALLY sick (not even necessarily running a temperature) I hallucinate. The last time it got really bad was a couple of years ago in my apartment alone. I don't know exactly how it happened but I woke up in my tub inside of freezing water laying on my pillow and bed clothes...apparently at some point I decided it'd be a good idea to sleep in the tub.

IB4OU2
12/18/2006, 04:17 PM
He never mentioned redrum in a low croaky kinda voice did he? :eek:

achiro
12/18/2006, 04:17 PM
He never mentioned redrum in a low croaky kinda voice did he? :eek:
Yeah, no kidding!:eek:

WILBURJIM
12/18/2006, 04:28 PM
Been there. My son would do the same thing with night terrors. Walking around talking gibberish sometimes crying sometimes not. It scares the **** out of ya. The last time was 3 or 4 months ago. He is 11 years old and still has a fear of our basement at night but, he came downstairs from his bedroom, walked right past me, went down the basement stairs wandering around like he was looking for something. I start following him and kept asking him if he was okay? What are you looking for? etc
He didn't really answer, just spoke complete nonsense, and as a parent it's scarry, because you are wondering if he's gone mental. Finally, I got him back upstairs and into bed. My wife talks to him, and now he is partially making sense but, still out of it. She calms him down and he falls asleep. The next morning, I ask if he remembers last night. He says: I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! So he remembered enough to know something wasn't quite right the night before. He's been fine since, awake or asleep.

william_brasky
12/18/2006, 04:31 PM
Just a few years ago I woke up standing at my front door (inside) with the door cracked open and had a boot in my hand.

I was having a dream about hundreds of large attacking lobsters. About the size of a large dog.

No joke.

MamaMia
12/18/2006, 04:35 PM
Just for safe measure, I think I would call the family physician and speak with her, or him, directly, not the mommy who answers the phone.

DustySooner
12/18/2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah my little brother who is 18 years younger than me used to wake up in the middle of the night crying and get up and just stand in the middle of the room and point at the same place every time and say "look at the scary man" or "do you see the scary man?" when someone would check on him, and of course he was pointing at the bare wall with nothing around it. Freaky. Kids scare the crap out of me.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2006, 04:52 PM
My wife reacts like that when she sees that I'm pitching a tent in bed.

Frozen Sooner
12/18/2006, 04:57 PM
He's OK now, right?

Because I kind of want to make a "Shoulda cracked his back" joke, but I don't know if it's too soon or not.

Hope your kid is doing better, achiro.

achiro
12/18/2006, 05:10 PM
He's OK now, right?

Because I kind of want to make a "Shoulda cracked his back" joke, but I don't know if it's too soon or not.

Hope your kid is doing better, achiro.
Oh, yeah he is fine. Nothing at all wrong with him and he didn't remember any of the incident that next morning...at least up to the point when he climbed back into his bed.

Penguin
12/18/2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe the boogeyman bit off one of his toes. Did you count the toes? Make sure they're still there.

achiro
12/19/2006, 11:15 AM
Maybe the boogeyman bit off one of his toes. Did you count the toes? Make sure they're still there.
I checked last night, he has all of his toes.

BoogercountySooner
12/19/2006, 11:27 AM
My baby brother when we were kids jumped down off the top bunk of our bunkbeds walked over to our Chest-o-drawers opened up my sock-underwear drawer and started peeing in it. I screamed at him to stop and he turns around mumbles get's back up into his bed and goes to sleep! I sure miss him. See ya some day little brother!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/19/2006, 11:29 AM
How many of these stories can be written off to supposed "night terrors"/hallucinations/whatever and how many simply don't have an explanation?

You guys hear that story about the North Carolina courthouse?

There's too many consistencies in the stories you hear. And instead of investigating as best as one can, folks are usually content to write it off as whatever, night tremors, a bad bit of beef, paranoia and hallucination-inducing herpes simplex 47 virus, you name it.

Maybe there's more to it, gang. So let's shift gears.

Who in here has seen a ghost/apparition/et cetera?

BoogercountySooner
12/19/2006, 11:33 AM
I thought I saw a ghost hovering over my bed one night before I figured out I was a little excited and the sheets were a little high!:O

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 11:34 AM
The Frat house was haunted by Bob the Ghost and if he started making a racket you just said, Skeeter (his actual nickname) or Bob, "hold it down", and it would stop. My roomate back in the day swore he saw him sitting in the corner one night, as we lived in his old room. But he was stoned, so I took it with a grain of salt. Bob died back in the 50's and this was the 80's.

Other than the coat and hat and Bob, I have no other ghostly stories.

frankensooner
12/19/2006, 11:38 AM
Oh, I have another spooky Bob story, one time the pledges were cleaning the silver goblets that were given to the house back in the 50's by the members, and one dood kept saying Bob was a load of crap and blah blah blah and then he looks down at the goblet he was cleaning and it was the one engraved with Bob's name (The guys had their names engraved on the cups) and he about crapped his pants.

IB4OU2
12/19/2006, 11:39 AM
I startled a flock of turkeys roosting over my deer stand early one morning in the dark. That's about as spooked as I've ever been...:eek: