PDA

View Full Version : Not your average music thread

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:13 PM
What happened to rock music? The "rock" music, or music in general now a days, IMO, is very subpar. I listen to a lot of classic rock and stuff from the 80s. Great stuff, Boston, Zepplin, Crue. Ever since grunge of the early nineties music as a whole seems to succ. Sometimes I scan through the stations in teh car and I come across stuff and think to myself, you call this music??? Now I said as a whole. Of course there has been some really good stuff in there.

Discuss.

TexasLidig8r
12/18/2006, 03:18 PM
What happened to music in general?

Today, the so called "rock" stars tend to be over-synthesized entities more a creation of their marketing directors than their own talent. In fact you can take persons with very little talent today (see Ashley Simpson, Lindsey Lohan, any of the numerous so called talent).. dress them up, synthesize the music, drown their voices out and sell it.. but, if they look good, that is what sells.

Seems to be very little substance and a lot of flash.

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:19 PM
Bingo.

Mjcpr
12/18/2006, 03:21 PM
I wonder if any of the old people from past eras said the same thing? :D

:pop:

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2006, 03:22 PM
I'm curious to see the responses to this thread because I know there is good 'new' rock out there, I hear it in bits & pieces, but can't match band names with songs I've heard, so I don't know good bands or CD's to look at...

but I totally agree. I'd go even further - Rock's golden age was the 70's when there were so many different styles of "rock". Just my opinion. 80's were good, 90's were better than I gave credit for at the time but still not that great. 21st century... I'm lost

Rhino
12/18/2006, 03:25 PM
If you're looking to the radio for hearing about new and/or good music, you're looking in the wrong place.

HoserSooner
12/18/2006, 03:26 PM
Ugly musicians can't get recording contracts anymore due to videos being needed to market them.

If a band like AC/DC came on the scene today, there is no way they'd be able to get their product out to an audience, due to their rather unattractive appearance.

C&CDean
12/18/2006, 03:27 PM
If you're looking to the radio for hearing about new and/or good music, you're looking in the wrong place.

You are correct sir.

Osce0la
12/18/2006, 03:29 PM
Blink 182 is teh win!!!11

No really, a lot of the crap that has been put out the last decade or so has been teh succ...I did actually see Blink 182 live once (took days for my ears to stop bleeding) and that was only because they were having a show with Green Day (please explain to me again why Green Day had to open for Blink 182). They drown out the vocals by overdoing it on the bass. If you aren't a big Blink 182 fan (which I am not) it is very hard to tell what they are playing, even if it is one of the few songs I do know. Overall, Blink 182 was the absolute worst show I have ever seen.

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:29 PM
I think its total BS. I dont care what you look like. I wanna rock. ROCK.

Osce0la
12/18/2006, 03:30 PM
Ugly musicians can't get recording contracts anymore due to videos being needed to market them.

Someone forgot to tell Nickelback about that...Which I haven't cared for anything they did after their first album anyway...

Beef
12/18/2006, 03:32 PM

If a band like AC/DC came on the scene today, there is no way they'd be able to get their product out to an audience, due to their rather unattractive appearance.
You don't think record companies would be dying to sign Lemmy?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5351/slemmydo8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Taxman71
12/18/2006, 03:33 PM
Rock died when David Lee Roth left Van Halen....thus, allowing rap to assume the void left in impressionable white males living in the suburbs looking to rebel. It's all downhill now, except for country music.

HoserSooner
12/18/2006, 03:37 PM
You don't think record companies would be dying to sign Lemmy?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5351/slemmydo8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:D

Based on appearance only? No freaking way. I'm a die-hard Motörhead fan, and I can say without a doubt, that Lemmy is the ugliest person that I have ever seen in person.

Having said that though, he seems to get laid a lot for someone with warts the size of silver dollars on his cheek. :confused:

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 03:41 PM
Rock died when David Lee Roth left Van Halen....thus, allowing rap to assume the void left in impressionable white males living in the suburbs looking to rebel. It's all downhill now, except for country music.

I think country has slipped as well. Maybe its just me but it all seems to be all homogenized crap. I dont want rock in my country. I dont want rap in my rock.

GottaHavePride
12/18/2006, 03:45 PM
It's all downhill now, except for country music.

Well yeah. I mean, you can't go downhill when you're already at the bottom of the hill. ;)

HoserSooner
12/18/2006, 03:47 PM
Someone forgot to tell Nickelback about that...Which I haven't cared for anything they did after their first album anyway...

Well, I don't know that appearance-wise they are ALL ugly. The lead singer certainly needs to do something with the broomhead look, but the rest at least look like normal dudes.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2006, 03:51 PM
This is what I mean. When Nickelback becomes the topic of discussion in a "what happened to rock?" thread........

:eek:

times are tough all over, I guess ;)

SoonerJack
12/18/2006, 04:01 PM

Hammer, meet nail.:)

OklaPony
12/18/2006, 04:05 PM
If you're looking to the radio in OKC for hearing about new and/or good music, you're looking in the wrong place.
Just a little fix.

Unfortunately with only a few occasional, temporary exceptions, this has been the case for decades around OKC.

Osce0la
12/18/2006, 04:09 PM
This is what I mean. When Nickelback becomes the topic of discussion in a "what happened to rock?" thread........

Point is, they've made it, yet they aren't the best looking group of people (at least not the front man). Nickelback is part of what is wrong with rock today though...

Rhino
12/18/2006, 04:10 PM
Oh, OKC is one of the cities that has radio, yes.

And yes, I'd say they suck more than other cities.

You still shouldn't relying on radio to fulfill any of your music needs unless you really, really hate music.

OklaPony
12/18/2006, 04:14 PM
...Nickelback is part of what is wrong with rock today though...
Why's that?

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure what genre I'd put Nickleback in. It damn sure isn't rock.

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2006, 04:17 PM
The lead singer of Nickelback looks like Jesus....why do you all hate Jesus?

C&CDean
12/18/2006, 04:20 PM
Oh, OKC is one of the cities that has radio, yes.

And yes, I'd say they suck more than other cities.

You still shouldn't relying on radio to fulfill any of your music needs unless you really, really hate music.

Being a fan of "classic" rock myself, I find the OKC stations woeful. I mean c'mon, Steve Miller had some pretty good tunes besides Fly Like an Eagle, Take the Money and Run, and the Joker. You'd think Locomotion and Some Kinda Wonderful were the only two songs Grand Funk ever put out. Free Ride and Frankenstein are probably the two worst songs Edgar Winter ever did - but they're the only two you'll ever hear. The Guess Who had some pretty good tunes out, but all you ever hear is American Woman. Same 3 Boston songs ad nauseum. Same half-dozen Fleetwood Mac songs. Jimi Hendrix did a lot more than Crosstown Traffic. And last time I checked, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Black Oak Arkansas, Jo Jo Gunn, Deep Purple, Santana, Montrose, The Who, and about a hundred others are also "classic rock."

Any more, all I do is listen to the sound of the road while driving, and a lot of blues while flying.

HoserSooner
12/18/2006, 04:26 PM
Being a fan of "classic" rock myself, I find the OKC stations woeful. I mean c'mon, Steve Miller had some pretty good tunes besides Fly Like an Eagle, Take the Money and Run, and the Joker. You'd think Locomotion and Some Kinda Wonderful were the only two songs Grand Funk ever put out. Free Ride and Frankenstein are probably the two worst songs Edgar Winter ever did - but they're the only two you'll ever hear. The Guess Who had some pretty good tunes out, but all you ever hear is American Woman. Same 3 Boston songs ad nauseum. Same half-dozen Fleetwood Mac songs. Jimi Hendrix did a lot more than Crosstown Traffic. And last time I checked, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Black Oak Arkansas, Jo Jo Gunn, Deep Purple, Santana, Montrose, The Who, and about a hundred others are also "classic rock."

Any more, all I do is listen to the sound of the road while driving, and a lot of blues while flying.

Sounds exactly like the local "classic rock" station in town. They claim to play Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Neil Young, CCR, etc., but then only play 4-5 of each bands more popular singles, and nothing else.

Someone needs to tell these people that most of the classic rock bands actually have other songs that they can play. I'm at the point where I'm starting to hate some of the songs I used to love.

Osce0la
12/18/2006, 04:34 PM
That also sounds like the Classic Rock station in Birmingham. The only Pink Floyd songs they play here are "Another Brick In the Wall II" and "Money". Occasionally you'll get something else, but 90% of the time those are the only 2 Pink Floyd songs you get.

Not to mention every song you listed that does/does not get played on the radio station you are talking about perfectly matches what does/does not get played here...

Petro-Sooner
12/18/2006, 04:34 PM

Exactly. Play something else. Is there a reason why this is done or more of a, well thats just the way things work in radio?

Osce0la
12/18/2006, 04:35 PM
The lead singer of Nickelback looks like Jesus....why do you all hate Jesus?
Funny that you make that comparison since their first big single (that I can remember anyway) was titled "Leader of Men"...

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2006, 04:41 PM

okay, so.. what? Spend a few days listening to stuff on the internets? When I have time to do that, which is seldom here lately, I usually wind up at radio stations' sites who play alternative rock.

I WANT SOMEONE TO TELL ME WHAT I LIKE & WHAT TO BUY, DAMMIT ! ;)

Rhino
12/18/2006, 04:54 PM
Here's what I do:

Surround myself with people who's music opinion I value. Trade recommendations with them. Listen to those recommendations.

Listen to radio stations online and podcasts that match my likes:
http://www.yrockonxpn.org/
http://festivalcityradio.libsyn.com/

Browse music blogs for new gems:
http://memo57.blogspot.com/
http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/

Immerse myself in the local scene:
http://www.oklahomarock.com/bands.htm
http://www.myspace.com/oklahomarock (Paying specific attention to the top 24)

And, generally, like and want to seek out new music. If you're half-assing it trying to find new music, you're going to get half-assed results.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2006, 05:03 PM
hmm cool, thx for the links

Beef
12/18/2006, 05:05 PM
Just go buy The Ultimate Ronnie Milsap and throw the rest of your music away. You're welcome.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 05:08 PM
Once again, I agree with everything Rhino said in this thread. Scary.

And, yeah, OKC radio sucks more than most, but radio ANWHERE typically sucks. Station that are free-form, playing album cuts, used to abound. They just don't anymore, anywhere. The business part of the music business is what ruined it for everybody. Radio (and record deals) everywhere are formulaic, and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

There is all sorts of great, independant music out there that would appeal to nearly every taste, hard rock, country, folk, poppy, electronic. I would put much of today's music up against anything from the '60s, '70s or '80s. The difference is that back then, great music got airplay. Now you have to break free of the shackles of radio to find it.

The good news is that the Internet makes that far easier to do than say, reading obscure music magazines back in the day.

sooneron
12/18/2006, 05:13 PM
What happened to music in general?

Today, the so called "rock" stars tend to be over-synthesized entities more a creation of their marketing directors than their own talent. In fact you can take persons with very little talent today (see Ashley Simpson, Lindsey Lohan, any of the numerous so called talent).. dress them up, synthesize the music, drown their voices out and sell it.. but, if they look good, that is what sells.

Seems to be very little substance and a lot of flash.
People that say this either have zero memory or were too high to remember such acts as- Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy, Debbie Boone, Tiffany, Menudo, Spice Girls, New Kids, et al. Taking a face with marginal to no talent over talent without a face has been in effect since someone figured they could make a buck being a manager/producer/music exec. and cramming/hyping said person down our throats.

Viking Kitten
12/18/2006, 05:16 PM
Why's that?

I'm gonna take a stab at this question regarding Nickelback.

It's not so much Nickelback sucking that's the problem. (Which they do, in a "listening to them is like reaching the Ninth Circle of Hell" kind of way.) The problem with Nickelback is that they are symbolic of everything that is that is wrong with the music industry, that is, it's a numbers game, and whoever sells the most records wins. However, you and I, the consumers are the big loser.

Music execs latch on to whatever music seems to be the current trend, find performers who fit that mold and can appeal to the lowest common denominator, package it, sell it and suck the life out of it. Innovators and anyone with an iota of originality need not apply, because that would necessitate risk taking. It's not about making art, it's about making the quickest buck. Which, hey, I'm not opposed to making money, I just think the music industry is being a little short sighted. Those who take the biggest risks make the biggest dividends. They also have a better chance of producing something meaningful, in which case everybody wins.

In any case, there is great music out there, we all just have to look a little harder to find it. And PQ, shame on you. I happen to know you sit four feet away from a veritable goldmine of information on what to listen to and where to find it. :D

Viking Kitten
12/18/2006, 05:17 PM
Well mother ****er. I took too long to type that.

crawfish
12/18/2006, 05:18 PM
I think its total BS. I dont care what you look like. I wanna rock. ROCK.

http://www.apollopony.net/images/twisted_sister.jpg

DustySooner
12/18/2006, 05:20 PM
What was left of rock completely died out after the grunge era. Now-a-days is completely different from what it used to be. Newer rock music kind gives the pop feel. It's almost like it feels like everyone sold out. It's seems like our rock genre the artists fought to rock. Take AC/DC for example it seems that every song was about "rocking."

Our rock that we loved so much and that we grew up on is not what the new generation of kids want. They want kids with dyed black combed over hair. Kids with mascera up on stage whining their brains out looking freakishly metrosexual. Emo kids..pffft.

Side Note: I do miss riding around in the old pickup with my dad when I was a kid listening to the Zeppelin, the Floyd, the Tom Petty, ect ect. and my ole man and I singing even though I didn't know half of the words and my dad laughing at me. Ahh..memories. He taught me to appreciate rock. I salute him.

Beef
12/18/2006, 05:21 PM
Music will not suck anymore when Cinderella puts out albums on a regular basis again.
**** YEAH!

King Crimson
12/18/2006, 05:25 PM
Station that are free-form, playing album cuts, used to abound. They just don't anymore, anywhere. The business part of the music business is what ruined it for everybody. Radio (and record deals) everywhere are formulaic, and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

the FCC used to restrict the number of spectrum licences any single entity could hold in a single market. the rationale being that it would preserve diversity in the marketplace. However, in the late 70's (under Carter) and really hammered home during the Reagan administration the mood of communications legislation (as the result on intense industry lobbying) began to be one of "de-regulation" in which diversity and plurality in the market was said to be constrained in favor of an economic argument that lifted licence restrictions. again, the benefit of "de-regulation" has been entirely to industry. not the consumer.

the result has been near monopolistic structures like Clear Channel that divvy up the spectrum/radio dial in safe formulaic demographics based programming. which accounts for the easy to digest, saccharine, set of demographics you hear in most metro markets. oldies, "Feel good oldies", 70's oldies, classic rock spliced about 8 different ways, country, etc.

Viking Kitten
12/18/2006, 05:25 PM
**** YEAH!

You're dang skippy. :)

sooneron
12/18/2006, 05:26 PM
the FCC used to restrict the number of spectrum licences any single entity could hold in a single market. the rationale being that it would preserve diversity in the marketplace. However, in the late 70's (under Carter) and really hammered home during the Reagan administration the mood of communications legislation (as the result on intense industry lobbying) began to be one of "de-regulation" in which diversity and plurality in the market was said to be constrained in favor of an economic argument that lifted licence restrictions. again, the benefit of "de-regulation" has been entirely to industry. not the consumer.

the result has been near monopolistic structures like Clear Channel that divvy up the spectrum/radio dial in safe formulaic demographics based programming. which accounts for the easy to digest, saccharine, set of demographics you hear in most metro markets. oldies, "Feel good oldies", 70's oldies, classic rock spliced about 8 different ways, country, etc.
Sounds like someone is a knowitall!:D

King Crimson
12/18/2006, 05:29 PM
Sounds like someone is a knowitall!:D

i saw my chance and i went for it.:texan:

IB4OU2
12/18/2006, 05:30 PM

You need an Ipod buddy......problem solved.

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2006, 05:41 PM
PQ, shame on you. I happen to know you sit four feet away from a veritable goldmine of information on what to listen to and where to find it. :D

but, it's really like 7 feet and there's a cubicle wall between us ?

I never know when she's messing with me. I ask for old-school-hard-rock and she tells me "Nickelback, dude" ...... ;)

Seriously, I had no idea there were so many Oklahoma-local bands. Holy crap.

OKC-area radio has been dead to me since about 1987 or so. I've lived off old music since then but am burnt out on everything. I never really used the interwebs' full potential to find new music (I know...I'm a loser). It comes down to wishing the radio could provide help, hell just one freaking station that played alternative rock for more than a week before going all commercial. I'm Lazy :)

yermom
12/18/2006, 05:50 PM
i think someone tried the iPod with Dean ;)

and it sounds like someone should be checking out the WAYLT threads a bit more :D

Pandora.com is a decent place to start to at least hear some new stuff, it gets a bit repetive after a while though

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 05:52 PM
PQ, if she's recommending Nickleback, she's ****ing with you. YWIA.

yermom
12/18/2006, 05:53 PM
but, it's really like 7 feet and there's a cubicle wall between us ?

I never know when she's messing with me. I ask for old-school-hard-rock and she tells me "Nickelback, dude" ...... ;)

Seriously, I had no idea there were so many Oklahoma-local bands. Holy crap.

OKC-area radio has been dead to me since about 1987 or so. I've lived off old music since then but am burnt out on everything. I never really used the interwebs' full potential to find new music (I know...I'm a loser). It comes down to wishing the radio could provide help, hell just one freaking station that played alternative rock for more than a week before going all commercial. I'm Lazy :)

old school hard rock?

Wolfmother (we've been beating this to death lately)

The Black Keys (i've been beating this one to death)

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 05:53 PM
...and it sounds like someone should be checking out the WAYLT threads a bit more...
Why would anybody do that? We all know they're just legal post-padding and have nothing to do with music. :rolleyes:

Scott D
12/18/2006, 05:56 PM
Just a little fix.

Unfortunately with only a few occasional, temporary exceptions, this has been the case for decades around OKC.

no need to fix anything. When Clearchannel owns 75+% of radio stations out there, it's the same generic swill across the country. There may be a few stations here and there in places which are good, but they are more niche stations than anything. Even stations which were high quality in the past like 107.5 in NYC have fallen to the mediocrity that is Clearchannel's power.

Scott D
12/18/2006, 06:03 PM
Music will not suck anymore when Cinderella puts out albums on a regular basis again.
**** YEAH!

Tom Keifer solo album scheduled for 1st quarter 2007 release. ywia.

Oldnslo
12/18/2006, 06:03 PM
I've had this discussion with the operations manager for Cox Radio.

Here's the deal. What people say they want, and what they do when you give it to them, are two different things.

When he's got a 300 song playlist, he gets higher ratings than when he's got a 500 song playlist. This experiment has been done a brazillion times.

Dude explains it thusly: When you go to the Coke machine and push the Coke button, you want Coke.

YOU may like some deep cut on whatever album that brings you back to when Mary finally let you undo her bra, but for the rest of the folks, that song just makes you think, "Gee, why aren't they playing one of that group's really GOOD songs?"

Sorry. I just report.

Scott D
12/18/2006, 06:05 PM
btw, What's up with Hall and Oates now. Hall has a goatee and Oates is clean shaven.

IT LOOKS WIERD PEOPLE!

yermom
12/18/2006, 06:06 PM
the problem is that the format works best for the LCD

if everyone had good, diverse taste in music we wouldn't be having this discussion ;)

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 06:07 PM
Here's (http://www.kcrw.com/) an interesting broadcast station (you can also listen online). Might not appeal to those looking for hard rock, but a lot of classic rock fans might be really surprised by how much they enjoy the new music played here. They're public and not tied to the traditional commercial formats.

Scott D
12/18/2006, 06:10 PM
the problem is that the format works best for the LCD

if everyone had better, non-doleo taste in music we wouldn't be having this discussion ;)

:D

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 06:11 PM
I've had this discussion with the operations manager for Cox Radio.

Here's the deal. What people say they want, and what they do when you give it to them, are two different things.

When he's got a 300 song playlist, he gets higher ratings than when he's got a 500 song playlist. This experiment has been done a brazillion times.

Dude explains it thusly: When you go to the Coke machine and push the Coke button, you want Coke.

YOU may like some deep cut on whatever album that brings you back to when Mary finally let you undo her bra, but for the rest of the folks, that song just makes you think, "Gee, why aren't they playing one of that group's really GOOD songs?"

Sorry. I just report.
Unfortunately, that's very true. Like I said, they go for the lowest common denominator. It brings the highest number of listeners. That said, somebody who's bitching about the state of current music should branch out and try to find the music that would NOT be termed lowest common denominator music.

Just because the vast majority of the listening public has ****ty taste doesn't mean you have to, or that you should be forced to listen to what they do.

OUAndy1807
12/18/2006, 06:11 PM
I understand the points everyone is making, but can someone explain to me why rock started going downhill after my high school glory days were over? I mean, we can all agree that the late 70's and early 80s were the peak of rock and roll, right? Rock also seemed to take a step down in quality when I got married and then again when I started having kids.

seriously, the good music is out there, you're just not paying attention like you used to because your priorities have changed. then, one day, it hits you that all you are listening to is radio crap and you're like "where the hell did all the good music go".

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 06:14 PM
That's the point: the good music hasn't gone away; the industry just figured out that they can make more money playing the crappy music.

Scott D
12/18/2006, 06:16 PM
I understand the points everyone is making, but can someone explain to me why rock started going downhill after my high school glory days were over? I mean, we can all agree that the late 70's and early 80s were the peak of rock and roll, right? Rock also seemed to take a step down in quality when I got married and then again when I started having kids.

seriously, the good music is out there, you're just not paying attention like you used to because your priorities have changed. then, one day, it hits you that all you are listening to is radio crap and you're like "where the hell did all the good music go".

Once again, that depends on what you are looking for in music. The only constant that music has ever had is that it's constantly evolving.

Melo
12/18/2006, 06:24 PM
Anyone who said good music has died has let their imagination, open mindedness, and sense of inner child die and are just stuck in their old people, 'i'm too lazy to look up good music' rut. If you like your music so much, why stop listening to it?

I'm kidding, but seriously. The radio sucks. Alternative rock? No way. Now, before anyone throws out the 'you're too young to know good music' card, I have two parents that are VERY into music. Thanks to mom and dad, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, The Eagles, a bunch of other crap that I cant remember, have all been pretty much what I have grown up on. Throw in some Louis Armstrong, Shostakovich, Mozart and Wagner, and you pretty much get the idea of what I have grown up with.

Like everyone has already stated, good music is out there. You wont hear it on the radio, you wont find it on tv. What you get from those two is pre-packaged sh*t wrapped up all 'pretty' to sell to all the 'sheep' out there. Obviously someone was right on because it sells. But we all know that the mass majority is only slightly less retarded than, say, Doleo? And that might be saying a lot. ;)

Anyways, someone mentioned Pandora. Thats a good place to start. Also, I cringe at actually advising someone to do this, BUT, myspace has a pretty good thing going, music-wise. Myspace has given opportunities to people who wouldn't necessarily get the same opportunity to get their music out there. For instance, a local band can be looked up just as easily as, oh I don't know, System of a Down. (One of the greatest bands ever, IMO).

Basically, what I am saying is, you just have to take time and listen to stuff you never have before. Don't get bogged down by a genre, either. Take a chance on a band you have never heard of before, and listen to their stuff. Youre bound to find something you like.

yermom
12/18/2006, 06:25 PM
you lost me at SoaD

;)

Mongo
12/18/2006, 06:26 PM
Anyone who said good music has died has let their imagination, open mindedness, and sense of inner child die and are just stuck in their old people, 'i'm too lazy to look up good music' rut. If you like your music so much, why stop listening to it?

I'm kidding, but seriously. The radio sucks. Alternative rock? No way. Now, before anyone throws out the 'you're too young to know good music' card, I have two parents that are VERY into music. Thanks to mom and dad, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, The Eagles, a bunch of other crap that I cant remember, have all been pretty much what I have grown up on. Throw in some Louis Armstrong, Shostakovich, Mozart and Wagner, and you pretty much get the idea of what I have grown up with.

Like everyone has already stated, good music is out there. You wont hear it on the radio, you wont find it on tv. What you get from those two is pre-packaged sh*t wrapped up all 'pretty' to sell to all the 'sheep' out there. Obviously someone was right on because it sells. But we all know that the mass majority is only slightly less retarded than, say, Doleo? And that might be saying a lot. ;)

Anyways, someone mentioned Pandora. Thats a good place to start. Also, I cringe at actually advising someone to do this, BUT, myspace has a pretty good thing going, music-wise. Myspace has given opportunities to people who wouldn't necessarily get the same opportunity to get their music out there. For instance, a local band can be looked up just as easily as, oh I don't know, System of a Down. (One of the greatest bands ever, IMO).

Basically, what I am saying is, you just have to take time and listen to stuff you never have before. Don't get bogged down by a genre, either. Take a chance on a band you have never heard of before, and listen to their stuff. Youre bound to find something you like.

This coming from the pervert that gets threads deleted;)

Melo
12/18/2006, 06:33 PM
How do I get threads deleted? I don't know what you're talking about.

you lost me at SoaD

;)

Blasphemy!!! You know you like them and their weirdness and strange music.

yermom
12/18/2006, 06:36 PM
i do kinda like them, but the radio plays them

a lot

Mongo
12/18/2006, 06:38 PM
How do I get threads deleted? I don't know what you're talking about.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/snow.jpg

Melo
12/18/2006, 06:42 PM
i do kinda like them, but the radio plays them

a lot

Now they do. :mad:

Didn't used to, though. I fixed that issue by just not listening to the radio.

Melo
12/18/2006, 06:43 PM
Oh, the snowball thing. Right. How was that bad? I wasn't the one who even brought it up.

yermom
12/18/2006, 07:34 PM
snowballs, rockin' bewbs... you are a thread locking waiting to happen

Mongo
12/18/2006, 07:37 PM
Oh, the snowball thing. Right. How was that bad? I wasn't the one who even brought it up.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/report.gif

Melo
12/18/2006, 07:44 PM
:mad:

I wasnt!!

soonerboomer93
12/18/2006, 07:55 PM
Pandora.com is a decent place to start to at least hear some new stuff, it gets a bit repetive after a while though

Pandora, you sure about that :D

yermom
12/18/2006, 08:02 PM
it's good when it's not playing Mandy Moore :O

The Cult - Nirvana

Scott D
12/18/2006, 09:33 PM
it's good when it's always playing Mandy Moore :)

The Cult - Nirvana

:eek:

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:38 PM
her music sucks, but she's the least skanky/most respectable one to come out out of that group of pop-princess types a few years back

i'd take Scrubs/Saved/Entourage over Crossroads, Dukes of Hazzard and whatever skankness X-tina has been up to

KC//CRIMSON
12/18/2006, 09:41 PM
One of the best online music sites out there, imo.:cool:

Arguably the most influential radio station in America, listener- supported KCRW is the station Hollywood television and motion picture soundtrack supervisors listen to. Do you like the soundtrack for the Sopranos ... or CSI ... or the OC ... or pretty much any other popular television show or movie? Thank KCRW.

Unlike most public radio stations which play classical music, KCRW plays a free-form collection of modern, "eclectic" music. According to the station's web site, The station's eclectic mix combines world beat, pop, jazz, rap, hip-hop, reggae, African, new wave, classical and new music with numerous live in-studio interviews and performances.

Because KCRW's playlist is completely created by its staff, not by a committee of corporate lackeys, KCRW is one of the best places in the world to find new music, music that no other radio station in the world is playing...yet. I say "yet" because KCRW has a knack of launching the music careers of unknown artists. For example, KCRW was the first radio station in the world to play Norah Jones, Dido and Coldplay [all went on to win multiple Grammy awards.] Best of all, you can listen to KCRW online. Just point your web browser to

http://www.kcrw.com/music/

Scott D
12/18/2006, 09:50 PM
her music sucks, but she's the least skanky/most respectable one to come out out of that group of pop-princess types a few years back

i'd take Scrubs/Saved/Entourage over Crossroads, Dukes of Hazzard and whatever skankness X-tina has been up to

allegedly she puts out more than the rest of them combined.

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:51 PM
i think KC//CRIMSON is on KCRW's payroll

Scott D
12/18/2006, 09:53 PM
One of the best online music sites out there, imo.:cool:

Arguably the most influential radio station in America, listener- supported KCRW is the station Hollywood television and motion picture soundtrack supervisors listen to. Do you like the soundtrack for the Sopranos ... or CSI ... or the OC ... or pretty much any other popular television show or movie? Thank KCRW.

Unlike most public radio stations which play classical music, KCRW plays a free-form collection of modern, "eclectic" music. According to the station's web site, The station's eclectic mix combines world beat, pop, jazz, rap, hip-hop, reggae, African, new wave, classical and new music with numerous live in-studio interviews and performances.

Because KCRW's playlist is completely created by its staff, not by a committee of corporate lackeys, KCRW is one of the best places in the world to find new music, music that no other radio station in the world is playing...yet. I say "yet" because KCRW has a knack of launching the music careers of unknown artists. For example, KCRW was the first radio station in the world to play Norah Jones, Dido and Coldplay [all went on to win multiple Grammy awards.] Best of all, you can listen to KCRW online. Just point your web browser to

http://www.kcrw.com/music/

they lost points with me for bragging about being the first to play Coldplay.

yermom
12/18/2006, 09:54 PM
allegedly she puts out more than the rest of them combined.

well, at least she doesn't look like a skank

it just seems like she might actually end up with a decent career acting or something

they aforementioned ones will be begging Hef to put them in Playboy in a few years :D

Scott D
12/18/2006, 09:55 PM
who are you kidding, Britney will end up in Hustler.

OUAndy1807
12/18/2006, 10:38 PM
www.wfmu.org

here's another free-form station, this one is a little more out there I'm sure.

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2006, 08:19 AM
the good music is out there, you're just not paying attention like you used to because your priorities have changed. then, one day, it hits you that all you are listening to is radio crap and you're like "where the hell did all the good music go".

^^ This pretty much sums me up. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

idunno.. 99% of the new stuff I've heard is either juevenile, or bands trying too hard to sound like their favorite bands, or I just plain ol' don't like it. I used to really identify & relate with music but that's just not the dealio anymore. I reached the conclusion - if I have to work hard at finding music I like, it's really not worth it. it's not that important to me now or else I'd be all over it.

OklaPony
12/19/2006, 09:25 AM
I'm gonna take a stab at this question regarding Nickelback.

It's not so much Nickelback sucking that's the problem. (Which they do, in a "listening to them is like reaching the Ninth Circle of Hell" kind of way.) The problem with Nickelback is that they are symbolic of everything that is that is wrong with the music industry, that is, it's a numbers game, and whoever sells the most records wins. However, you and I, the consumers are the big loser.

Music execs latch on to whatever music seems to be the current trend, find performers who fit that mold and can appeal to the lowest common denominator, package it, sell it and suck the life out of it. Innovators and anyone with an iota of originality need not apply, because that would necessitate risk taking. It's not about making art, it's about making the quickest buck. Which, hey, I'm not opposed to making money, I just think the music industry is being a little short sighted. Those who take the biggest risks make the biggest dividends. They also have a better chance of producing something meaningful, in which case everybody wins.

In any case, there is great music out there, we all just have to look a little harder to find it. And PQ, shame on you. I happen to know you sit four feet away from a veritable goldmine of information on what to listen to and where to find it. :D
Bravo! The situation you describe above re: music execs / trendy crap has been going on ever since recorded music began to be a money-making venture. There will always be the select few that will genuinely seek out new and innovative acts to try to bring to the forefront of the popular music scene but the vast majority will forever be trend-chasers. It sucks but that's the reality. Basically, your analysis is dead-on correct.

The reason I latched on to the Nickelback question is this:

In November(?) 2001, they were scheduled to do a show in St. Louis (where I was working at the time) at the Pageant Theatre with Saliva as support (speaking of unattractive bands, WHEW!). They had brought a couple of their Martins into the store for some work and had graciously left some some guest passes for the Guitar Tech that did the job so he and I went to the show. I honestly didn't know diddly about them and had only heard the one single on the radio. Their show was quite good, they all played well, sang on pitch, played in time, etc. I can't say that I became a diehard fan of theirs or anything but I was genuinely impressed with their level of performance on stage and that's something that rarely happens.

Personally, I really haven't heard much in the way of new rock-oriented stuff in the last 10 years or so that's really captured my attention except for Foo Fighters and Audioslave.