PDA

View Full Version : OU Hockey - Force added to 2007 U.S. University Select Team

Chris Perry
12/18/2006, 01:32 PM
*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

FORCE ADDED TO 2007 U.S. UNIVERSITY SELECT TEAM
OU DEFENSEMAN TO PLAY FOR USA IN WINTER WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES

NORMAN, OK – Danny Force, a senior defenseman on the University of Oklahoma® hockey club, has been added to the 22-player United States University Select Team roster which will compete at the Winter World University Games, to be held Jan. 17-27, 2007 in Torino, Italy.

Force, a 6’0”, 215 lb. broadcasting major from Southlake, Texas who has 10 goals and 5 assists in 17 games for the Sooners so far this season, was originally named as an alternate to the U.S. University Select Team. However, due to injuries, Force was recently added to the U.S. University Select Team’s roster and will join the team in early January when it convenes in Washington, D.C. prior to departing for Italy.

“It’s an honor to be chosen for the Select Team,” said Force. “It’s not only great for me personally but also for the OU Hockey program, which has improved every year I’ve been at Oklahoma. I’m looking forward to competing in Italy and helping Team USA as best I can. This experience will be valuable when I return to the Sooners to compete for a National Championship.”

“We are very proud of Danny,” said Oklahoma Hockey head coach Larry Donovan. “He’s a competitor and I know that he will play with tremendous pride and emotion for Team USA. We’ll miss him while he’s overseas but we look forward to his return for our stretch run to the National Championship tournament.”

The U.S. University Select Team was picked following an identification camp held in August and is comprised of players from collegiate club ice hockey teams affiliated with the American Collegiate Hockey Association, which includes 333 teams in three men’s divisions. The 2007 U.S. University Select Team will be coached by Chad Cassel, head coach of The University of Illinois hockey club. The U.S. University Select Team will play Canada, Slovakia, Russia and Korea in group play in Torino prior to the elimination round of the Winter World University Games.

The Winter World University Games is the second-largest sporting event in the world next to the Olympic Games and consists of 11 sports and 72 medal events. Featuring 1,500 athletes in the 17-28 year-old age range, the 10-day event began in 1960 in France and was hosted on American soil in Lake Placid, N.Y., in 1972.

### BOOMER SOONER! ###
MEDIA CONTACT:
Chris Perry, General Manager
University of Oklahoma® Hockey
Phone: (405) 631-2709 / Cell: (405) 488-4048
Email: [email protected] / Fax: (405) 631-3303
www.icehockey.ou.edu / www.ouhockey.com