PDA

View Full Version : I saw Apocalypto and I thought it was great

usmc-sooner
12/17/2006, 06:50 PM
I know there was another thread about it somewhere but I thought it was a great movie

Okla-homey
12/17/2006, 06:52 PM
I know there was another thread about it somewhere but I thought it was a great movie

I enjoyed it too. However, the water-birth was a bit over the top don't you think?

usmc-sooner
12/17/2006, 07:09 PM
it probably was but I think every movie has those moments.

It's probably still the best movie I've seen this year. I've read in the USA Today where they think it has elements of Mad Max, Dances with Wolves and about three other movies, I don't have the article handy, but I think it was a really cool and original movie.

Most of that stuff probably happened in the Mayan culture. I think it's cool with all the history we have, that we tend to make the same old movies about the same old stuff.

I have been to some of the Mayan ruins (Tulum) and it was awesome. I'm going to buy this movie when it comes out on DVD.

Okla-homey
12/17/2006, 07:13 PM
How would you like to be assigned "finisher" duty? :eek:

Sounds easy, but desperate men trying to make it to the treeline could be tough. Especially when you are the only thing standing between them and a horrible death.

usmc-sooner
12/17/2006, 07:21 PM
I guess I'd rather be the finisher, than the guy running for the jungle. :D

what got me is instead of the finisher scene, I thought when they were painted blue they were going to play "Mayan Soccer" or whatever that sport was where they kicked the ball through the ring with the losing team being beheaded.

King Crimson
12/17/2006, 07:27 PM
i thought it was pretty good. i, personally, would not go looking for any big political or social issue in it. it' a pretty conventional genre flick.

subtlety is not Mel's calling card.