PDA

View Full Version : Just How Bad Does The NBA Suck?

FaninAma
12/17/2006, 06:45 PM
Is the NBA even a real sport?

1stTimeCaller
12/17/2006, 06:46 PM
it's as real as pro rasslin.

Big Red Ron
12/17/2006, 06:46 PM
I like it but to each his own.

Okla-homey
12/17/2006, 06:56 PM
Licensed thuggery masquerading as an athletic contest. Only in America.

Jimminy Crimson
12/17/2006, 07:01 PM
No different than the NFL with its head-stomping earlier this year.

bri
12/17/2006, 07:05 PM
Good thing they're getting rid of that mean old ball that gives them hand owies. It sure would suck if they bled on each other during slapfights.

Big Red Ron
12/17/2006, 07:47 PM
No different than the NFL ...Exactly where I'm coming from.

;)

Newbomb Turk
12/17/2006, 07:47 PM
they are going back to the leather ball January 1.

...and the NBA is teh succ.

BigRedJed
12/17/2006, 07:49 PM
Yep. Thank goodness we have college sports, where nobody would ever dream of fighting. :rolleyes:

King Crimson
12/17/2006, 07:52 PM
the 24 second shot clock is a joke of a game, IMO.

SicEmBaylor
12/17/2006, 07:53 PM
It sure would suck if they bled on each other during slapfights.

It really would suck if Magic Johnson were still playing.

Curly Bill
12/17/2006, 08:05 PM
NBA sucks much. Different rules for different players: you're a star you get a lot more calls (see Dwayne Wade last years finals). Just call the game fairly, quit worrying about stupid crap like if someone's jersey comes untucked during the game, if their socks don't come up just right on their leg, or if Stackhouse is wearing tights under his shorts, and just play the game. And while I'm at it: tell the officials they are not bigger then the game: just call it, don't instigate confrontations with players/coaches, and make them answerable for their screw-ups just as players and coaches are.

Mongo
12/17/2006, 08:17 PM
Curly Bill, you know most NBA fans are whorns and whorn lovers. How do you feel about that?

Curly Bill
12/17/2006, 08:32 PM
Curly Bill, you know most NBA fans are whorns and whorn lovers. How do you feel about that?

Can't say that I got any love for the whorns or whorn-lovers. So, if the only NBA fans are whorns and whorn-lovers then I got no love for the NBA either.

Rhino
12/17/2006, 08:43 PM
Is the NBA even a real sport? No, but the NBA is a professional association of a real sport.

SCOUT
12/17/2006, 08:50 PM
I always hear that the style of NBA is the way it is because everyone just wants to win. I am told that they are simply doing everything in their power to win a title.

Then when international play rolls around, the US style of play gets whooped by countries like Latvia. It seems their style of play is more effective. Hmmm

The NBA has become an exhibition for a few elite players and has bastardized the concept of team.

IMO of course.

bri
12/17/2006, 09:03 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The reason our NBA players get schooled in international play is because they don't play basketball in the NBA, they "ball". They be "ballas". And "ballin'" will ALWAYS get its *** kicked by skilled, fundamental basketball players.

Curly Bill
12/17/2006, 09:49 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The reason our NBA players get schooled in international play is because they don't play basketball in the NBA, they "ball". They be "ballas". And "ballin'" will ALWAYS get its *** kicked by skilled, fundamental basketball players.

Well said! And the biggest fundamental most NBA'ers lack is the ability to shoot the ball. Most can dunk it anyway you want it, but how many really good shooters are there?

Sooner24
12/17/2006, 09:54 PM
I am just counting the days until the Hornets pack up and leave town so I won't have to hear about the NBA for a while. I am sure at some point it will come back but I can always hope.

jk the sooner fan
12/17/2006, 09:54 PM
the nba isnt anymore pathetic than say.....you know, somebody who just cant catch a clue to save his life

sad really

Mongo
12/17/2006, 09:55 PM
the nba isnt anymore pathetic than say.....you know, somebody who just cant catch a clue to save his life

sad really

I bet you Carmelo Anthony could troll lights out

jk the sooner fan
12/17/2006, 09:56 PM
I bet you Carmelo Anthony could troll lights out

nah, he'd run out of email addresses and ideas for troll handles....

yermom
12/17/2006, 10:10 PM
I am just counting the days until the Hornets pack up and leave town so I won't have to hear about the NBA for a while. I am sure at some point it will come back but I can always hope.

yeah, the Hornets have been horrible for OKC

Sooner24
12/17/2006, 10:24 PM
Didn't say they haven't help OKC I just get tired of hearing about it.

olevetonahill
12/17/2006, 10:25 PM
Yall leave gdcs new troll handle alone for a little while
Welcome back gdc , for as long as it lasts .

SouthFortySooner
12/17/2006, 11:12 PM
...never been coon-huntin or watched an nba game, or listened to a rap song... or britney or ...

olevetonahill
12/17/2006, 11:35 PM
...never been coon-huntin or watched an nba game, or listened to a rap song... or britney or ...
You aint done any of the above ? :confused:
Get ur azz to bed youngun , you should be asleep by 8 pm

Jimminy Crimson
12/18/2006, 04:02 AM
Didn't say they haven't help OKC I just get tired of hearing about it.

Then don't watch/listen to the news/radio... ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
12/18/2006, 10:05 AM
Need to bring out that punching NBA logo again!!!

Oh and the NBA sucks like the crappy Katrina evacuees still living here and expecting free stuff...

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 03:06 PM
Well, I for one am tired of hearing about baseball. Here's hoping they tear down the ballpark in Bricktown. I mean, I know it was good for OKC and all, but I'm sick of hearing about it. I'm sick of Toby Keith, too. Hopefully they fill in the canal. Oh, and I'm also REALLY tired of education discussions. Can we tear down the new schools that we're building with MAPS for Kids money?

TIA.

C&CDean
12/18/2006, 03:18 PM
Well, I for one am tired of hearing about baseball. Here's hoping they tear down the ballpark in Bricktown. I mean, I know it was good for OKC and all, but I'm sick of hearing about it. I'm sick of Toby Keith, too. Hopefully they fill in the canal. Oh, and I'm also REALLY tired of education discussions. Can we tear down the new schools that we're building with MAPS for Kids money?

TIA.

Timeout. This post is not well thought out - or even reasonable. You simply cannot equate all the success stories of MAPS, etc., or even discuss them in the same sentence with the NBA/Hornets.

The Hornets came here cause NO got swamped out. No other reason. A bunch of you guys went goo-goo-gaa-gaa over them. Now, they're going back to NO, and those of us who ****ing hate the NBA are happy, and those of us who love the NBA are not.

I would love to see a big league sports franchise in OKC. I probably wouldn't support it financially or in attendance, but I could see the value it adds to the city. But the rub - I don't want NO's dregs, and I despise what the NBA has become.

If we're gonna get a pro team, I'd like to see them come here the right way.

Taxman71
12/18/2006, 03:23 PM

TIA.

Hear, hear! And drain the freakin Canadian River like it used to be. All that dang water reflects the sun in my eyes when I am trying to dodge craters on the I-40 crosstown.

Taxman71
12/18/2006, 03:27 PM
If we're gonna get a pro team, I'd like to see them come here the right way.

On the other hand, it would be pretty cool is OKC stole a pro franchise from a "top tier" city. Then again, Gotebo could steal business from Nawlins these days.

Big Red Ron
12/18/2006, 03:53 PM
On the other hand, it would be pretty cool is OKC stole a pro franchise from a "top tier" city. Then again, Gotebo could steal business from Nawlins these days.Like say....Seattle?

:P

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 04:08 PM
Seattle is far less than 50/50 of coming here, IMO. There is a strong desire in the league and in the ownership group to keep them in Seattle, believe it or not.

I think there is actually a better chance of the Hornets ending up here, after they tank in NOLA. It's also possible they end up in KC, Fresno or Vegas. OKC will have a team at some point, I just think that it's unlikely to be the Sonics. If it isn't the Hornets, it will be another unhappy team or an expansion within the next five years. People getting all caught up in the Sonics dream are wasting time and emotion, more than likely.

And Dean, I'm NOT unhappy the Hornets are going back to NOLA. I think it IS the right thing to do. After they fail down there (which is all but inevitable), nobody will be able to criticize a sale or a re-location. This isn't about the hurricane; they shouldn't have located to NOLA in the first place. If not for the hurricane, they would be busy planning exit strategy from NOLA right now, anyway.

C&CDean
12/18/2006, 04:10 PM
Well, if the Hornets ever do come here for real, they better change their colors if they want me to come see them. Baby blue doesn't look good on anybody.

Big Red Ron
12/18/2006, 04:11 PM
I would say that there is a greater than 70% chance that Seattle does NOT build a new arena for the Sonics. At that point NOK will have gone back to NO and there is a greater than 90% chance that Seattle comes here.

Meaning that we will not have a team in 2007-8 but will in 2008-9.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 04:14 PM
As for my post about razing the ballpark or filling the canal, it is obviously tounge-in-cheek, but it does follow the same logic. Just because you don't like a sport and don't like hearing about it doesn't mean that it's a good thing for it to go away. If you can't connect the dots between MAPS and the Hornets...

Sure, ONE reason the Hornets are here right now is because of Katrina, but a HUGE reason they're here is because of the MAPS-funded arena and the renaissance we experienced because of MAPS. One of the expressed purposes of MAPS was to make OKC a major-league city. The Hornets landing here was inextricably tied to MAPS. Sure, we were in the right place at the right time, but we wouldn't have been either if MAPS hadn't done its thing. It's part and parcel.

And believe me, the Hornets being here has brought OKC more national and international news coverage and credibility than all of MAPS, combined. The NBA being here has been a huge boon for OKC's profile nationally, and it's hard to calculate the positive economic impact it will ultimately have on our city.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 04:24 PM
I would say that there is a greater than 70% chance that Seattle does NOT build a new arena for the Sonics. At that point NOK will have gone back to NO and there is a greater than 90% chance that Seattle comes here.

Meaning that we will not have a team in 2007-8 but will in 2008-9.
There is a 100% chance that Seattle won't build a new arena for the Sonics. There is, however, an excellent chance that a combined effort from the players including the Sonics ownership, the Washington State Legislature, King County and the City of Bellevue WILL build an arena.

And the Hornets already have to go back to NOLA. It's decided. One thing has NOTHING to do with the other. Just because the Hornets are gone from OKC has no bearing on whether the Sonics come here.

The ONLY factor in whether the Sonics come here is whether they get an arena deal. No arena deal, they come to OKC regardless of the Hornets' status. But they are worth far more to Clay and his partners if they remain in Seattle. Contrary to what everybody seems to think, he didn't buy them to move them here. He bought them to (1) get his foot in the ownership door (which all but ensures that he can ultimately own a team in OKC, (2) perhaps more importantly, to make money. They are business people.

Additionally, the league wants very much to keep the Sonics in the Seattle area. It would be a huge black eye to lose Seattle. Losing NOLA is not such a black eye. The Sonics are a 40 year franchise with league title tradition. Seattle is a top-tier city. Believe me, no effort will be spared by ANYBODY (other than Seattle taxpayers) to keep them there.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 04:29 PM
BTW, I said months ago that there would be no team here in '07-'08. I also believe there is a strong chance there is no team here in '08-'09. The Hornets may take more than one season to fail in NOLA, and as I mentioned, I think there is better than a 50/50 chance the Sonics stay in Seattle/King County.

Dio
12/18/2006, 04:30 PM

TIA.

And while we're at it, we need to rename that alley down in Bricktown for a band everyone likes, like Color Me Badd.

;)

Big Red Ron
12/18/2006, 04:30 PM
That's pretty much what I was saying.

I'm pretty close with one of the principal owners and they are making all the right public moves but staying in Seattle isn't their primary goal. Making money is and they honestly believe that OKC will be better financially.

Taxman71
12/18/2006, 04:52 PM
And while we're at it, we need to rename that alley down in Bricktown for a band everyone likes, like Color Me Badd.;)

Ironically, those guys would actually be the ones installing the signs and doing the paving.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 04:57 PM
...staying in Seattle isn't their primary goal. Making money is...
Actually, they're one and the same. And I've got a few connections, too, believe it or not. On multiple fronts. Plain and simple, the team is worth more in Seattle. Two other groups made offers of $70M more than the OKC owner group, but would relocate immediately. If they get the arena deal done, they can flip the team (even back to Schultz and his people) for a huge profit. They are more likely than Schultz was to get the arena deal done, because the relocation threat is real.

But perhaps more appealing to everyone involved (except George Shinn) is this scenario: Clay and Co. get the arena deal done in King County, the Sonics shoot up in value. Shinn relocates to NOLA, and quickly moves headlong towards bankruptcy. The NBA can say it tried in NOLA to make it work (it actually will have tried very hard), but it has become obvious that hoop isn't sustainable, at least for now. Shinn wants to relocate or sell, but terms are dictated by the league (a fact -- he can't make any decisions like this without league approval). The Hornets (or a major interest) are now available at bargain-basement prices.

Clay and Co. can sell their interest in the Sonics either to current partners or someone like Schultz, and can then buy the Hornets outright. If Shinn wants to stay in it and Clay and Co. are agreeable, the NBA can force Shinn to approve the deal Clay and Co. originally proposed, a 49% interest to them, with first right of refusal on a controlling interest if Shinn dies, becomes incapacitated or wants to sell. This guarantees that Clay and his group ultimately own controlling interest in a team in OKC. They also have made a ridiculous profit on the Sonics. A win-win.

Perhaps more likely than a Bennett & Co/Shinn partnership is Shinn going totally broke and selling 100% to new owners, or even selling back to the league for the franchise fee (a la the Expos/Nationals). The league would then have complete discretion as to who it goes to, and guess who has lots of cash to spare (thanks to their Sonics sale), and a ready-made arena? That's right.

It's also entirely possible that the Sonics get an arena deal, and Shinn figures out how to hang on for a few years in NOLA. In this case, OKC could be awarded an expedited expansion franchise (similar to Charlotte), or a different team could relocate (with Clay and Co. joining the ownership).

What is 100% sure: the Hornets are going back to NOLA.

What is almost 100% sure: OKC will ultimately have an NBA franchise, with Clay and Co. owning controlling interest

What is nowhere near 100% sure: the Sonics moving to OKC. The Sonics ownership group is made up of astute businessmen. They aren't going to pass on a $70M to $150M profit to bring that team here, when they are all but guaranteed an opportunity to own a different team here in the future, through far less expensive channels.

BigRedJed
12/18/2006, 05:00 PM
Another 100% sure thing: no hoop in OKC in '07-'08

Very, very possible (maybe even likely): no hoop in OKC in '08-09

Jimminy Crimson
12/18/2006, 05:13 PM
Another 100% sure thing: no hoop in OKC in '07-'08

Very, very possible (maybe even likely): no hoop in OKC in '08-09

Well I guess Sherri and the girls could fill the Ford Center during an NBA downtime in the OKC. :)