PDA

View Full Version : Time to clinch up... more coming on out re: Big Red Sports & Imports

soonerboy_odanorth
12/17/2006, 05:54 PM
Given the investigation that was supposed to be wrapped up Nov. 1 still isn't.

Think it has to be safe to infer the NCAA has found more garbage that they aren't too comfortable with...

Wonder if they'll lower the hammer bowl week or the week after?

Linky:

http://www.newsok.com/article/2986585/

This doth sucketh.

yermom
12/17/2006, 06:00 PM
as far as i can tell, the only new thing in this is that the AP filed an open records request recently

Ash
12/17/2006, 06:06 PM
as far as i can tell, the only new thing in this is that the AP filed an open records request recently

Yeah, I don't get it. Why is it worrisome that the press asked for a records release regarding info that was already known to anyone that's followed the story?

In fact, why is this a story? C'mon Oklahoma sports reporters, can't we do better than this?

yermom
12/17/2006, 06:22 PM
i think it's just an old story that got bumped when they added more info

Scott D
12/17/2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I don't get it. Why is it worrisome that the press asked for a records release regarding info that was already known to anyone that's followed the story?

In fact, why is this a story? C'mon Oklahoma sports reporters, can't we do better than this?

because some people need to continue to feed the persecution monster that lives under their beds here.

usmc-sooner
12/17/2006, 07:44 PM
I think when USC and Ohio State, Miami, Nebraska, Texas, LSU, Auburn clench I may squench just a little, until then I'm OK.

Collier11
12/17/2006, 08:14 PM

Surely you know better than that dont you??? LOL!!

Readyfor8
12/17/2006, 08:15 PM
This is alot of smoke and mirrors. Hornfans has been going of on this for about 3 or 4 days.

The fact is the College Football Season is over and there is nothing to talk about in this area for a month. Until I hear something new, like some new players names, I will reserve judgement.

Meanwhile, the Oklahoman is testing my patience. When John Rhode can't remember Allen Patrick's name, and spouts off about people not attending Basketball games when he didn't even attend (and it's his job to attend.) Something should be done about these guys who live and breath scandal when it comes to The University of Oklahoma, and never report positives.

8timechamps
12/17/2006, 09:20 PM
Please don't neg me, but is this the dealership that "employed" Bomar? (I haven't lived in teh OKC area in years, and never heard the name of the dealership.

yermom
12/17/2006, 09:38 PM
yes

Larry&Leisa
12/17/2006, 10:13 PM
Please don't neg me, but is this the dealership that "employed" Bomar? (I haven't lived in teh OKC area in years, and never heard the name of the dealership.

Under new ownership now also...

DarrellZero
12/17/2006, 10:14 PM
Look guys, there's no reason to be worried about this. The fact is, we asked Big Red for info, which I assume we got. If we had found a violation, we would have reported it ourselves.

We didn't, so I assume there was nothing to report.

Fraggle145
12/17/2006, 10:17 PM
when are they going to start investigating more into USC? Auburn should be on probation for all of tha academic fraud going on there... And the heisman winner is corrupt as hell. Just saying

Ash
12/17/2006, 10:17 PM
Surely you know better than that dont you??? LOL!!

heh.

stoopified
12/18/2006, 04:08 PM

In fact, why is this a story? C'mon Oklahoma sports reporters, can't we do better than this?No .The difference between a catfish and a DO sports reporter?One is a scum-sucking bottom feeder and the other is a fish.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/18/2006, 04:33 PM
Maybe I missed the jist of the article, but what I was reading into it (perhaps too much), is that we (OU) have had to go back to BRSI outside of the original investigation to dig up the names of players who have driven, borrowed, bought, leased autos from BRSI in the past. And that that information has by necessity then been passed to the NCAA.

What is bothersome to me is that this investigation has dragged on almost 2 months past the targeted wrap-up date. In my mind that means one of two things- either they are simply wratcheting up the detail of the investigation because of the severety of the knuckleheads' transgressions and are not finding anything no matter which rock they look under, or they've turned the investigation into the proverbial Russian nesting doll (open one, and there's another, etc.).

And don't worry about my persecution complex. That's not what is setting me off. My bumpkinbooster-dar is what is setting me off. With his utter recklessness and stupidity does anyone really doubt that he was capable of just letting players use cars without them having to produce one red cent (or legitimate financing, as it is)?

soonerspudman
12/18/2006, 05:23 PM
...or, once again, the NCAA may choose to selectively enforce against OU, then walk away proclaiming that all of college football has been cleansed.

Ash
12/18/2006, 10:46 PM
The article was about the AP requesting records or am I looking at the wrong link????

All the other parties, according to what I've heard about the situation, have had that info for quite some time now.

Scott D
12/18/2006, 10:54 PM
no you would be correct. The rest of the nonsense in this thread is chicken little persecution syndrome.

Ash
12/18/2006, 11:10 PM
no you would be correct. The rest of the nonsense in this thread is chicken little persecution syndrome.

Heh.

BTW, for the others here: AP does not = NCAA.

props
12/18/2006, 11:53 PM
Look guys, there's no reason to be worried about this. The fact is, we asked Big Red for info, which I assume we got. If we had found a violation, we would have reported it ourselves.

We didn't, so I assume there was nothing to report.

i back this up. if anything else big was found, i'm sure i would have been leaked or something.

besides, if there were any other serious violations, wouldn't you expect that stoops would have booted any other offenders off the team? i mean, if he boots bomar/quinn off the team, it would look really shallow and empty if there were other violations, and stoops just sat on it.

i'm not worried.

ouflak
12/19/2006, 06:30 AM
Heck, if anything else big was found, Stoops would have probably already kicked the guys off the team so he could prepare what was leftover for the bowl game. That's the kind of coach we have.

mrowl
12/19/2006, 06:40 AM
scott D was dead on right. people can't read.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/19/2006, 11:32 AM
C'mon guys. No reason to get nasty. I can read perfectly well. Let me do a little highlighting for you, then you smart guys can enlighten me as to where I am lacking in my reading comprehension skills:

In the letter, dated Sept. 5, [NOTE: this is AFTER both of the original investigations] Harroz asks Atkins to require two employees be made available to interview with university officials. It said that OU had no reason to believe the employees were involved in any NCAA violations but that their testimony was needed "to clarify and confirm our current understanding of the relevant facts of the matter.” [NOTE: These are supplemental interviews beyond the scope of the original interviews. We have not yet read the testimony of these interviews. Maybe it's good stuff. Maybe it's not. I can't say, but neither can you. And again, why isn't the NCAA investigation wrapped up?]

Among the documents requested in the attachment to the letter [NOTE: Again, this letter, and it's attachment thereby request for documents are dated Sept. 5th, AFTER the original investigations] are the dealership's service records for an unknown number of people; tax forms, paycheck stubs and-or timesheets from 2005 and-or 2006 for 10 student-athletes; and "names of football student-athletes who have made purchases from Big Red, driven Big Red vehicles and-or had their vehicles serviced by Big Red.” [NOTE: Which implies, especially in the latter, that these are supplemental documents which were not requested as part of the original Peterson, and then two knuckleheads investigations; though, I'll concede that we don't know that and it should be clarified]

The names on the list of requested documents were redacted.

In an earlier investigation, OU had looked into the circumstances by which tailback Adrian Peterson bought a car and then returned it to the dealership several weeks later. The university determined the arrangement did not violate NCAA regulations.

OU athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said the university had no comment on the documents released Friday. [NOTE: Why? I'm speculating that the NCAA hasn't completed their review of these and the other documents involved with this Sept. 5th letter, requests, and resulting findings. And I think that's reasonable speculation, though feel free to argue the point.]

Now the crack about the AP <> NCAA. Yeah. I get that. Do you get that whatever has been made available to the AP has already been made available to the NCAA? Do you get that this information had to have been made available to the NCAA on or after Sept. 5 which is after the original investigations by the university were supposedly concluded? Have you asked yourself why clarification was needed which prompted the Sept. 5th letter? Do you think the university autonomously decided, "Hey, we better just go ahead and clarify portions of the investigation", or do you think that maybe the NCAA requested clarification?

I'm not trying to get in a ****ing match. And I'm not panicking. Even if the NCAA finds something else to nitpick, it might not result in much of a sanction due to the swiftness and severety of actions taken by Bob and the University to rectify the situation in house. On the other hand, the potential, with this scumbag McManus at the center of this mess, is that there could be additional violations, or at least, that the NCAA disagrees with the university as to the severety of the violations.

All I'm really saying is "stand by for further details", and I'm hoping that the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't decide to lower a boom (no matter the severety or lack thereof) bowl week. That would be a huge distraction and be grossly unfair to all the staff and players who have conducted themselves above board. And in my estimation, the NCAA rarely displays equity in their treatment of certain institutions and/or student-athletes.

And as much as you want to call me chicken little, you ostriches may have your heads buried in the sand just a wee little bit.

Scott D
12/19/2006, 11:45 AM
not you odie, everyone who posted after you :P

There's nothing new from the NCAA's end of things, just an open records request by a bored AP writer. They'll likely make a ruling on the Reggie Bush matter before they make one on this matter, unless they have to keep digging with the Bush thing.

Ash
12/19/2006, 11:56 AM
C'mon guys. No reason to get nasty. I can read perfectly well. Let me do a little highlighting for you, then you smart guys can enlighten me as to where I am lacking in my reading comprehension skills:

In the letter, dated Sept. 5, [NOTE: this is AFTER both of the original investigations] Harroz asks Atkins to require two employees be made available to interview with university officials. It said that OU had no reason to believe the employees were involved in any NCAA violations but that their testimony was needed "to clarify and confirm our current understanding of the relevant facts of the matter.” [NOTE: These are supplemental interviews beyond the scope of the original interviews. We have not yet read the testimony of these interviews. Maybe it's good stuff. Maybe it's not. I can't say, but neither can you. And again, why isn't the NCAA investigation wrapped up?]

Among the documents requested in the attachment to the letter [NOTE: Again, this letter, and it's attachment thereby request for documents are dated Sept. 5th, AFTER the original investigations] are the dealership's service records for an unknown number of people; tax forms, paycheck stubs and-or timesheets from 2005 and-or 2006 for 10 student-athletes; and "names of football student-athletes who have made purchases from Big Red, driven Big Red vehicles and-or had their vehicles serviced by Big Red.” [NOTE: Which implies, especially in the latter, that these are supplemental documents which were not requested as part of the original Peterson, and then two knuckleheads investigations; though, I'll concede that we don't know that and it should be clarified]

The names on the list of requested documents were redacted.

In an earlier investigation, OU had looked into the circumstances by which tailback Adrian Peterson bought a car and then returned it to the dealership several weeks later. The university determined the arrangement did not violate NCAA regulations.

OU athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said the university had no comment on the documents released Friday. [NOTE: Why? I'm speculating that the NCAA hasn't completed their review of these and the other documents involved with this Sept. 5th letter, requests, and resulting findings. And I think that's reasonable speculation, though feel free to argue the point.]

Now the crack about the AP <> NCAA. Yeah. I get that. Do you get that whatever has been made available to the AP has already been made available to the NCAA? Do you get that this information had to have been made available to the NCAA on or after Sept. 5 which is after the original investigations by the university were supposedly concluded? Have you asked yourself why clarification was needed which prompted the Sept. 5th letter? Do you think the university autonomously decided, "Hey, we better just go ahead and clarify portions of the investigation", or do you think that maybe the NCAA requested clarification?

I'm not trying to get in a ****ing match. And I'm not panicking. Even if the NCAA finds something else to nitpick, it might not result in much of a sanction due to the swiftness and severety of actions taken by Bob and the University to rectify the situation in house. On the other hand, the potential, with this scumbag McManus at the center of this mess, is that there could be additional violations, or at least, that the NCAA disagrees with the university as to the severety of the violations.

All I'm really saying is "stand by for further details", and I'm hoping that the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't decide to lower a boom (no matter the severety or lack thereof) bowl week. That would be a huge distraction and be grossly unfair to all the staff and players who have conducted themselves above board. And in my estimation, the NCAA rarely displays equity in their treatment of certain institutions and/or student-athletes.

And as much as you want to call me chicken little, you ostriches may have your heads buried in the sand just a wee little bit.

I still don't get it. I think you're on a fishing expedition. Feel free to read into it whatever you want.

If the NCAA asked for supplemental interviews to confirm OUs findings and that was provided, that doesn't tell me anything. (BTW, the article says nothing about the NCAA, this could be OU acting on its own for CYA purposes just in case).

And if you aren't trying to raise the alarm, why the title to thread.

SleestakSooner
12/19/2006, 12:02 PM

the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

yadda yadda yadda yadda

Now the crack about the AP <> NCAA. Yeah. I get that. Do you get that whatever has been made available to the AP has already been made available to the NCAA? I'm not trying to get in a ****ing match. And I'm not panicking... the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

yadda yadda yadda...

fixed :D

soonerboy_odanorth
12/19/2006, 12:11 PM
[Cartman voice] I...........hate...........you........guys...... [/Cartman voice]

;)

MamaMia
12/19/2006, 12:13 PM
Guess who asked to be moved over at Owen Field, but was moved down a few rows instead, to none other than the seats previously owned by the Big Red Sports and Autos finance manager? Up until this last season, he sat there alot and also shared the seats with his friends and family.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/19/2006, 12:14 PM
And if you aren't trying to raise the alarm, why the title to thread.

Discussion topic.....

Stir, stir, stir the pot... gently down the cyber-stream.... Merrily merrily merrily merrily... debating is the thing!

:D

TUSooner
12/19/2006, 12:16 PM
THANK YOU for saying that. I get tired of this knee-jerk "everybody is out get OU." And "everybody" seems to have no limit: NCAA, ESPN, the whole MSM, the NAACP, the FBI, and the CIA, and the BBC, B.B. King and Doris Day, Matt Busby.

Spek to whoever identifies the allusion at the end of this post.

SleestakSooner
12/19/2006, 12:45 PM
John Lennon's doppelganger paranoia?

crimson&cream
12/19/2006, 01:39 PM
because some people need to continue to feed the persecution monster that lives under their beds here.

Yeh! The Eagles Don Henley recorded a song that describes this phenom to a tee "Dirty Laundry"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TUSooner
12/19/2006, 05:06 PM
hint: Liverpudlian quartet

I'm waaaaay over the hill:rolleyes:

SleestakSooner
12/19/2006, 05:29 PM
ummm... ok let me be more specific.

Dig It... by The Beatles

song mentions all those people and entities in the lyrics.

From what I have read it was a spoof on paranoia along the lines of Elvis, Jim Morrisson and 2Pac aren't really dead type rumors.

sooner-n-ga
12/19/2006, 05:56 PM

I see it used here all the time, what is teh ?

mrowl
12/19/2006, 06:01 PM
I see it used here all the time, what is teh ?

it's like pron, evar, ena, ad, ap, hmfic, otoh, imo, waylt, etc...

StoopTroup
12/19/2006, 07:14 PM
I heard that Texas Players thought that Longhorn Steakhouse was the Athletic Cafeteria and that they have been eating for free there for years.

Rogue
12/19/2006, 07:23 PM
Is there a conspiracy with Manchester United?
Was Yoko Ono a futbol fan?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/busby/

Liverpool decided to make Busby club coach but before he could take up the appointment at the end of the war, United offered him their vacant manager's job and Liverpool chairman Billy McConnell persuaded the board to release him.

blackbeauty02
12/19/2006, 08:08 PM
Under new ownership now also...

yea Hudiburg bought it out and they are good people. now hopefully this **** won't happen again.

TUSooner
12/19/2006, 08:24 PM
ummm... ok let me be more specific.

Dig It... by The Beatles

song mentions all those people and entities in the lyrics.

From what I have read it was a spoof on paranoia along the lines of Elvis, Jim Morrisson and 2Pac aren't really dead type rumors.
That's like, cool . . . and stuff :)

TheUnnamedSooner
12/20/2006, 12:42 AM
BTW, for the others here: AP does not = NCAA.

Thanks, but why would Allen Patrick be requesting this? :confused:

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2006, 01:25 AM
Why are you calling him AP when his initials are AOC?

Ash
12/20/2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks, but why would Allen Patrick be requesting this? :confused:

Finally, someone is asking the tough, important questions.