PDA

View Full Version : Najera 1 of 10 ejected in NBA brawl

lauderdalesooner
12/16/2006, 11:44 PM
Just saw the highlights, looked line Najera was just trying to seperate players to me but all 10 that we're on the floor at the time were ejected.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2699893

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=159805

King Crimson
12/17/2006, 12:25 AM
brawling with Ed is prolly getting you nowhere you want to be...

Ash
12/17/2006, 12:50 AM
This was a classic slap fight. Mostly pushing and shoving, a little rasslin' (no...not that kind, aggies). Then Carmelo sucker punches some d00d and RUNS AWAY! LOL!

Ed looked like he was trying to separate people not get involved.

ouradu
12/17/2006, 09:35 AM
all players on the court were ejected, whether they did anything or not I'm sure when the league office watches it closely, Ed won't be punished. He did nothing.

Big Red Ron
12/17/2006, 09:48 AM
Melo is a puss. What a chump. He should be dropped for about 20 games for that crap.

OKC-SLC
12/17/2006, 10:10 AM
So, I'm watching Sports Reporters right now, and I can't believe it but I just heard Loopica say some things I agree with.

Along the lines of how the Knicks are retarded for acting like the Nuggets were disrespecting them and showing them up in 'their house'. Said something like, "you don't have a house; you're 4 and 10 in MSG this year". "Get better and you don't get shown up" etc.

By the way, that was the absolute most embarrassing girlpunch evar by Carmelo, then he runs away like a b*tch. What a joke the NBA is.

ouradu
12/17/2006, 10:12 AM
didn't artest (I think it was) get suspended for the whole season for throwing a punch in that ind/det brawl? maybe it was just a combination of all artest's problems, but why wouldn't "melo" get suspended for the season too?

Big Red Ron
12/17/2006, 10:15 AM
didn't artest (I think it was) get suspended for the whole season for throwing a punch in that ind/det brawl? maybe it was just a combination of all artest's problems, but why wouldn't "melo" get suspended for the season too?Artest punched fans. I think that's a big difference.

ouflak
12/17/2006, 10:40 AM
didn't artest (I think it was) get suspended for the whole season for throwing a punch in that ind/det brawl? maybe it was just a combination of all artest's problems, but why wouldn't "melo" get suspended for the season too?

It's not over yet. Getting ejected from this game was just what the refs did. I'm sure the NBA is still going to have a say in the matter. Hopefully they will overturn a few of the ejections based on the video evidence while they are looking for who to fine and hand out further suspensions too.

ouradu
12/17/2006, 05:02 PM
Artest punched fans. I think that's a big difference.
Yeah, I'd say so. I forgot about that.

starrca23
12/17/2006, 05:27 PM
Isaiah Thomas needs to be suspended or fined if he really did order that foul. There talk that he told melo not to go into the paint. He was upset that they broke an "unwritten rule." But appearently it is okay to break a written rule. I am tired of Isaiah Thomas, since his playing days he has done nothing constructive for the game of basketball. He is always popping off at the mouth and his team can't back it up. Did he get mad at little Nate for trying that dunk at the end of the game the other day? That seems to be more about embarassing the other team than people still in the game and playing hard.

King Crimson
12/17/2006, 05:50 PM
zeke is a fraud of a human being.

stoopified
12/17/2006, 05:52 PM
Cain't we all jist git along?

Seamus
12/17/2006, 06:04 PM
The NBA sux ball sweat. It hasn't been worth watching since Jordan left.

badger
12/17/2006, 09:54 PM
I used to joke with NP that the only thing Artest could say after being suspended that season was "BUY ALBUM!"

Rich, spoiled, rude, abrasive, KIDS. If they didn't see this coming, they should suspend themselves.

As for the players, maybe they should look back to their roots like Spreeeewell did after choking PJ. Why play the game if you it makes you so upset you have to attack other players?
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/12/17/sports/17knicks.1.600.jpg

royalfan5
12/17/2006, 10:47 PM
There have been brawls in basketball since they were shooting into peach baskets. This isn't anything new. The old ABA was about as bad as the NHL when it came to fighting. I guess I don't understand the outrage and surprise I have been seeing over this. Pro sports have pretty much always had outbreaks of violence.

sooner518
12/18/2006, 12:37 AM
why is it that hockey players fight pretty much every game and its a 2 minute minor penalty and in any other sport, you're suspended multiple games for throwing a punch?

OUSKINS
12/18/2006, 08:24 AM
I'm an NBA guy. Actually, I'm probably a real rarity in Oklahoma-- someone who loves college hoops, but actually PREFERS the NBA if given a choice (big Cavs fan). I know I live in the wrong region to be making that statement, but it's the truth :)

With that in mind, I think the NBA continues to get a bad wrap based on some dull years in the late 90's-early 2000's and I think a lot of the criticism is (subconsciously) racially and culturally based.

I never heard anyone calling Larry Bird a pampered spoiled thug when he punched Bill Laimbeer on the court during a game, which was one of many mini-brawls those teams engaged in. As a matter of fact, I've heard those instances used as references to the "golden days" of the NBA when players really cared.

Fights in hockey are nightly occurances, brawls in baseball are all part of the great American game, and we think it's funny and cute when we hear horror stories about what goes on underneath the bodies during a pile-up in football.

But the NBA has about one brawl a year and people go insane, using terms like "pampered, thug, etc..."

The Nuggets WERE rubbing it in, and I have NO problem with the hard foul Collins gave Smith, or even if Isaiah "ordered" it. And I have no problem with Smith defending himself or even the pushing, shoving, and tackling that followed. I do think Melo made a HUGE mistake by escalating it once it had settled. That was NOT a move an leader/star/MVP candidate should make. However, as I mentioned, Bird did the exact same thing.

Now, before everyone goes crazy-- I'm not calling out anyone on this board as a racist. I'm talking about a more generalized notion about the league itself and how I believe it to be inconsistent with the way we judge the rest of the sports/athletes we watch.

Like I said, I watch hundereds of NBA games a year, and overall, I think it's a really good product right now. You have some dog teams like the Knicks, but for the most part, the league is balanced, competitive, and the game is well-played. Lots of emerging young stars to boot.

starrca23
12/18/2006, 09:17 AM
Put the race card away, I believe the "thug" reference would be due to the fact that there are multiple arrests as well. Didn't ever see Big Bill and Larry the legend firing pistols in between slipping dollar bills into thongs, or going into the crowd, and then using the time off to promote a rap ..album in which they talk about getting high on the way to the game. Or choking coaches, or showing up on a gang DVD with the most prominent gangster in all of Baltimore...do you want me to go on?
If the NBA is so well played, why can't they hit free throws, make back door cuts, or for pete's sake shoot a left handed lay-up, or just freekin' play hard. The fact is for every Kobe you can name, I can name 4 Kwame Browns. That is not a good ratio for quality control.

OUSKINS
12/18/2006, 09:50 AM
starrca-- I totally disagree. Your first point:

--I doubt the percentage of NBA players arrested/in trouble with the law differs greatly at all from that of the NFL, MLB, or even college athletics. As a matter of fact, I believe there was a report issued a year or so ago, that put the NBA's % of arrests lower than that of some of the other major sports.

--The "they don't play hard" thing just doesn't hold any water. I watch games all the time, and while there are occasions where teams "mail it in," it isn't the prevelant way in the NBA.

--As I mentioned, I'm a Cavs fan. I'll use them as an example. I look at their 12 man roster and try to judge it on off-court troubles, and how "hard" I percieve them to play. As far as legal troubles go, I can't think of anything significant at all. As far as playing hard, Drew Gooden is the only guy on the roster that seems to "float" in terms of effort from game to game. But I think that's more his personality than anything-- if you remember, he had a similar rep while at KU. I think the Cavs situation is probably very similar to that of the majority of NBA teams-- overall, good guys who play hard. For some reason, the bad apples seem to spoil the buch more so in the NBA than in other sports.

--As for free throw percentages--I agree, that's a problem. But it's become a problem with AMERICAN basketball; it suffers on all levels.

starrca23
12/18/2006, 10:09 AM
Skins, we will have to agree to disagree. I love Lebron, but even his coach says he floats on defense. As for the other sports I totally agree, I would just say that they are thugs too. Jamal Lewis, almost the whole Bengals roster...half of the Cowboys (my favorite NFL team) from the 90's. I am not singling out the NBA, we were just speaking of the brawl which happened in the NBA.
I hope this comes across without any anger or malice, somtimes moods can be misunderstood on-line.
I do want to knw if you agree about the NBA now versus the NBA of 20 or thirty years ago, do you really thing there is no difference in terms of the off the court discipline?

C&CDean
12/18/2006, 10:14 AM
skins,

The suckage that the NBA has become is simply indefensible. Nice try, but the league of choice for you is nothing but trash. The thug factor in the NBA is off the scale. The I/ME mentality is offensive. The collective IQ of an average NBA team would be < the collective IQ of an average classroom of 6th graders. And don't you dare pull the racist card. Stupidity is color blind. When we've got players who ain't smart enough to spell their own names making 10s of millions of $$, something is out of whack.

I hate what the NBA has become with the heat of 100 million suns. I will/would not spend $1 to support anything "NBA."

starrca23
12/18/2006, 10:24 AM
Ironically Dean the Suns are about the only team worth watching. All 5 players racing up and down the floor...and get this: the PASS!

OUSKINS
12/18/2006, 10:27 AM
CC--

Obviously, you feel strongly about your position :) I too, feel strongly about mine. I spend my $200 a year on NBA League Pass and continue to be happy with the returns-- although, it was tough when the Cavs were winning 20 games a year in the BL (Before Lebron) era. I don't agree with you-- I believe a lot of your complaints are perception, not reality, and heavily media fueled. However, I do respect your opinion, and understand that most Oklahomans I've met feel the same way you do (lived here almost all my life).

and starcca-- no offense taken at all! It's just discussion. Glad you chimed in.

hurricane'bone
12/18/2006, 11:48 AM
http://i12.tinypic.com/2hefql0.gif

starrca23
12/18/2006, 11:51 AM
That is beautiful.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/18/2006, 12:20 PM
JR Smith pickin on a lil 5'8 guy...And still got whooped!

royalfan5
12/18/2006, 12:34 PM
Skins, we will have to agree to disagree. I love Lebron, but even his coach says he floats on defense. As for the other sports I totally agree, I would just say that they are thugs too. Jamal Lewis, almost the whole Bengals roster...half of the Cowboys (my favorite NFL team) from the 90's. I am not singling out the NBA, we were just speaking of the brawl which happened in the NBA.
I hope this comes across without any anger or malice, somtimes moods can be misunderstood on-line.
I do want to knw if you agree about the NBA now versus the NBA of 20 or thirty years ago, do you really thing there is no difference in terms of the off the court discipline?
20 or 30 years ago most of the players were coked out of their minds, and you had Kermit Washington damn near killing Rudy Tomjanovich during an in-game fight. The NBA is much more disciplined than 20 or 30 years ago. Read David Halberstam's Breaks of the Game about the 1979 Trailblazers, and try and argue that the NBA was a bunch of choir boys in the 70's and 80's.

OUmillenium
12/18/2006, 12:59 PM
Isaiah Thomas needs to be suspended or fined if he really did order that foul. There talk that he told melo not to go into the paint. He was upset that they broke an "unwritten rule." But appearently it is okay to break a written rule. I am tired of Isaiah Thomas, since his playing days he has done nothing constructive for the game of basketball. He is always popping off at the mouth and his team can't back it up. Did he get mad at little Nate for trying that dunk at the end of the game the other day? That seems to be more about embarassing the other team than people still in the game and playing hard.

When has he evar done anything constructive for basketball? I couldn't stand that turd as a player.

King Crimson
12/18/2006, 01:05 PM
i'm still waiting for someone to figure out that Isiah is a terrible GM, a bad coach, and a jerk. he destroyed the Raptors, failed with the CBA, was a mediocre coach with the Pacers and has driven the Knicks into the ground. nice track record.

starrca23
12/18/2006, 01:18 PM
Royal, I'll check out the book. I was born in 78, and was genuienly asking a question, since my opinion is of what i was in the 90's. I enjoy DH's book on Michael Jordan, "playing for keeps" have you read it?
As for Isaiah, he has a maturity problem. Why would you talk to a player about being in the game? My thought is he wasn't man enough to talk to Coach Karl.

royalfan5
12/18/2006, 01:25 PM
Royal, I'll check out the book. I was born in 78, and was genuienly asking a question, since my opinion is of what i was in the 90's. I enjoy DH's book on Michael Jordan, "playing for keeps" have you read it?
As for Isaiah, he has a maturity problem. Why would you talk to a player about being in the game? My thought is he wasn't man enough to talk to Coach Karl.
I haven't read that book yet, I have read most of DH's other books. He's one of my favorite authors. Thomas is useless, though. I never understood how he kept getting jobs.

msteudem
12/18/2006, 02:15 PM
I took my son to the Hornets/Cavs game last Monday night. My son was so excited because he is a huge Lebron fan. First play of the game Lebron takes it in and slams on 3 guys and so we think its going to be a great game for LJ. From that point on to my son's disappointment Lebron just mostly stood around the perimeter doing much of nothing. He ended up with 15 pts which is very low output for him. It just seemed like he took that particular game off. We spent our money on season tickets mostly to see games with stars like LJ. In fact that was the first game of the season we finally made it to because my son was so infactuated with him. We should get our money's worth. If Lebron had been sick or something I could understand but he was showboating during warmups doing all kinds of stuff. We enjoyed the warmups (before the game) as he made it very entertaining but he needed to carry it over into the game instead of just standing around and sand bagging.
When you're getting that kind of money to perform you better bring it each and every time.

mfosterftw
12/18/2006, 02:51 PM
No suspension for Eddie... just as we figured...

Marc

Stoop Dawg
12/18/2006, 03:09 PM
Now, before everyone goes crazy-- I'm not calling out anyone on this board as a racist.

It's pretty easy to identify a racist. They are the one that uses a person's race to condemn or excuse that person's poor behavior.

starrca23
12/18/2006, 03:35 PM
I have a friend that went to high school with Mike Brown, I wasn't able to go with her to the game, but they were dissapointed in King James as well, although CP3 tore it up!

OUSKINS
12/18/2006, 07:17 PM
I went to that game as well. All year long, Lebron has clearly been trying to take fewer shots and get his teammates more involved offensively early in games. He has looked a tad tentative thus far, but I think it has more to do with their new offense and a slightly altered approach from Lebron than it does with his effort.

badger
12/18/2006, 08:32 PM
NBA players need to watch themselves more than hockey, football and baseball players because basketball is such an individual sport compared to them. Often times, when you cheer for football teams, you don't cheer for players, because there's 60-80 of them. You cheer for a team. Same goes for baseball and hockey, to some degree.

Also, consider that in basketball, you see their faces throughout the game. You're not all wearing the same hat, the same helmet, etc. These are individuals you can identify by more than a number on a jersey.

And so, the NBA needs to be image concious. Five players on a team, and all-stars and endorsements. More than any other sport, it is about individuals, reputations, identities.

Contact is part of football (duh, tackles!), baseball (sliding into bases) and hockey (that's how you steal the puck). It is not part of basketball. They give fouls for contact... and they give fines and suspensions for extreme contact.

bluedogok
12/18/2006, 10:25 PM
I never heard anyone calling Larry Bird a pampered spoiled thug when he punched Bill Laimbeer on the court during a game, which was one of many mini-brawls those teams engaged in....yeah but Laimbeer probably deserved it :D

Ash
12/18/2006, 10:49 PM
NBA players need to watch themselves more than hockey, football and baseball players because basketball is such an individual sport compared to them. Often times, when you cheer for football teams, you don't cheer for players, because there's 60-80 of them. You cheer for a team. Same goes for baseball and hockey, to some degree.

Also, consider that in basketball, you see their faces throughout the game. You're not all wearing the same hat, the same helmet, etc. These are individuals you can identify by more than a number on a jersey.

And so, the NBA needs to be image concious. Five players on a team, and all-stars and endorsements. More than any other sport, it is about individuals, reputations, identities.

Contact is part of football (duh, tackles!), baseball (sliding into bases) and hockey (that's how you steal the puck). It is not part of basketball. They give fouls for contact... and they give fines and suspensions for extreme contact.

I get your point, but that last part made me laugh. Obviously you've never been in the post with the big bruisers.

badger
12/18/2006, 10:51 PM
I get your point, but that last part made me laugh. Obviously you've never been in the post with the big bruisers.
Contact happens, but it isn't encouraged. There, is that more clear?

Ash
12/18/2006, 11:02 PM
Contact happens, but it isn't encouraged. There, is that more clear?

Yeah, that's cool. I get what you're trying to say, and I wasn't trying to run you down. But tough, physical play is a part of the game in basketball as well (definitely not on the order of football or hockey). That includes hard fouls to prevent players from scoring easy buckets. That doesn't give the green light for thuggery and there's supposed to be a sportsmanship to the hard foul.