PDA

View Full Version : Keating for President?

OklahomaTuba
12/16/2006, 07:34 PM
Good Gov, but I just don't see it. Sorry Frank.

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating is mulling a possible bid for the presidency, voicing concern that the 2008 Republican lineup lacks a Ronald Reagan conservative.

"He's kicked the idea around in his head," Dan Mahoney, an aide to Keating, said Friday. "He's just sort of thinking about it."

Keating, 62, a former FBI agent and prosecutor, served as Oklahoma governor from 1994-2002 and was in charge of the state during the deadly Oklahoma City bombing in 1995. He was a high-ranking official in the Justice and Treasury departments during the Reagan administration and considered a possible vice presidential choice by George W. Bush in 2000.

In June 2003, Keating resigned as head of a panel examining the U.S. Roman Catholic hierarchy's efforts to rid the priesthood of sexual molesters. Keating was highly critical of the bishops' cooperation and compared the secretive church hierarchy to the Mafia.

Mahoney said that after the defeat of Republican Sen. George Allen of Virginia last month, Keating was concerned about the absence of a "Reagan-like conservative in the mix" of presidential candidates. Several of the White House GOP hopefuls _ Sens. John McCain and Sam Brownback, and Gov. Mitt Romney _ have either compared themselves to Reagan or highlighted his record.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/15/AR2006121500986_2.html

OklaPony
12/16/2006, 08:57 PM
I've got a Gov. Keating story.

In Summer of 2001 I was on an extended work assignment in South Carolina and would freqently utilize Continental via Houston to travel back and forth from there to Norman. On one particular trip I noticed the Governor and his Trooper / bodyguard in the waiting area of the same flight on which I was booked. As it turned out we ended up standing next to each other as our rows were called. He was approached by several people during the time that I observed him by both admirers and detractors. The manner in which he received each person was truly amazing to watch, he didn't blow anybody off, he appeared very genuine and sincere in his responses, and I found the whole scene particularly fascinating to watch. As the last of these people left I turned to him, introduced myself, and shook his hand. (I mean, what the hell, right? Might as well take the opportunity since it presented itself.)

After witnessing all this I surmised that he was probably hanging out towards the back of the line so that he could indeed be available to meet and speak with people as I had witnessed, figuring that he, as a Governor, would surely be flying 1st Class. As it turns out he was flying coach along with all the rest of us schmucks. Something about that entire scenario impressed the hell out of me.

Jimminy Crimson
12/16/2006, 09:11 PM
Keating is 100 times the man Clinton ever was/is.

He would make a good veep, though.

Scott D
12/16/2006, 09:48 PM
No man named Francis Anthony Keating can be trusted to be president. Take your pick, Francis or Anthony is a name that means you can't trust them to run the country.

Widescreen
12/16/2006, 10:15 PM
Keating had a bad habit of putting his foot in his mouth but he was an AWESOME spokesman for the state after the OKC bombing. He really made a great impression on behalf of all of us Okies. I liked him because he said what he felt regardless of the political ramifications - which is why he'll never be president.

Frozen Sooner
12/16/2006, 10:23 PM
No man named Francis Anthony Keating can be trusted to be president. Take your pick, Francis or Anthony is a name that means you can't trust them to run the country.

WHY IS THE MSM NOT MAKING A BIGGER DEAL ABOUT HIS MIDDLE NAME???

King Crimson
12/16/2006, 10:42 PM
WHY IS THE MSM NOT MAKING A BIGGER DEAL ABOUT HIS MIDDLE NAME???

heh.

Sooner_Bob
12/16/2006, 11:05 PM

Yeah like Scott is a completely trustworthy name . . . :rolleyes: :P

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/17/2006, 12:19 AM
Keating... he was an AWESOME spokesman for the state after the OKC bombing. He really made a great impression on behalf of all of us Okies. I liked him because he said what he felt regardless of the political ramifications - It's going to take someone with that attitude, as well as incredible drive, to beat the dims from here on in.

Scott D
12/17/2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah like Scott is a completely trustworthy name . . . :rolleyes: :P

no Bob, we need a congressional investigation into his middle name. The msm isn't doing a good enough job of creating scrutiny :D

SicEmBaylor
12/17/2006, 12:27 AM
I can say without any doubt that I have the greatest most trustworthy name on the SO.

Chuck Bao
12/17/2006, 12:33 AM
And, I now have the worst, thanks to some unfortunately-named guy in the White House.

Scott D
12/17/2006, 12:34 AM
People, people. The only things that matter are what your middle name is, and whether or not if it's shocking and a travesty that the msm don't make a big deal out of it.

Chuck Bao
12/17/2006, 12:42 AM
My German ancestors were so frugal that they thought it was an unnecessary luxury to have a middle name. Either that or they hated the German monarchary for all of their pretentious middle names. Anyway, I didn't get one.

I'm not running for president. What are we talking about again?

Rhino
12/17/2006, 01:05 AM
He would make a good veep, though. If he hadn't taken $250,000 in "gifts" from Dreyfus, he would be our veep.

Pricetag
12/17/2006, 01:23 AM
My German ancestors were so frugal that they thought it was an unnecessary luxury to have a middle name. Either that or they hated the German monarchary for all of their pretentious middle names. Anyway, I didn't get one.

I'm not running for president. What are we talking about again?
You can't be a high-profile criminal, either. You have to have a middle name for that.

Chuck Bao
12/17/2006, 01:29 AM
If he hadn't taken $250,000 in "gifts" from Dreyfus, he would be our veep.

I'm still trying to get my mind around that whole prospect. I'm assuming that Cheney would still be Cheney except for the tie-breaker vote in the Senate that he now has.

My father hosted a BBQ fundraiser at my family's cabin for Keating in his first run for governor. I wish I'd been there to meet him.

jdsooner
12/17/2006, 02:05 AM
Just when I thought we couldn't do worse than W. . . .

King Crimson
12/17/2006, 03:55 AM
You can't be a high-profile criminal, either. You have to have a middle name for that.

it doesn't really work if you murder people and dont have one.....

"he used to come into the U-totem, now and again, for a nachos and microwave chicken chimi....but Jimmy Dale Hurley was kind of a loner."

Chuck Bao
12/17/2006, 05:26 AM
it doesn't really work if you murder people and dont have one.....

"he used to come into the U-totem, now and again, for a nachos and microwave chicken chimi....but Jimmy Dale Hurley was kind of a loner."

This sucks. I can't be a famous criminal or a murder?"

But I can get a nickname, right? How about "George, Just George"?

12/17/2006, 07:22 AM
Veep.

I agree with Jimminy, though even a run at veep is a stretch. I think Keating is a sharp guy and would make a fine candidate. I'd vote for him in a second.

That said, nobody outside a three-state region remembers the guy.

And God bless 'em, he looks like Montgomory Burns.

Widescreen
12/17/2006, 09:26 AM
I think serial killer has an exclusion clause though. There have been several of those that didn't have a middle name.

RacerX
12/17/2006, 09:36 AM
Keating, no thanks.