PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Depth Chart Prediction

KingDavid
12/16/2006, 04:15 PM
DEFENSE

Defensive Ends
- Starters: Alonzo Dotzon, John Williams
- Back-ups: Auston English, Tim Johnson
- X-factors: Jeremy Beal (will they leave him here or move him to OLB), Alan David (would he consider returning to compete at a relatively thin position for next year?)

Defensive Tackles
- Starters: Demarcus Granger, Steven Coleman
- In the 4-man Rotation: Cory Bennett, Gerald McCoy (might as well be starters)
- X-factor: Adrian Taylor

Linebackers
- Starters: Curtis Lofton, Mike Reed, Ryan Reynolds
- Contributing Back-ups: Demarrio Pleasant, Lewis Baker
- X-factors: Jeremy Beal, Austin Box (if he graduates early), Nic Harris

Defensive Backs
- Starters: Reggie Smith, Lendy Holmes, Marcus Walker, Darrien Williams, Nic Harris (starting nickel back)
- Back-ups: D.J. Wolfe (dime starter)
- X-factors: Keenan Clayton and lots of exciting but untested red-shirt freshman

OFFENSE

Right Tackle:
- Starter: Trent Williams
- Back-up: Phil Loadholdt
- X-factor: Curtis Bailey (if he works hard, has a shot)

Guards:
- Starters: Duke Robinson, Brandon Walker
- Back-ups: Sherrone Moore, Brian Simmons
- X-factor: Chase Beeler, Phil Loadholdt

Center:
- Starter: Jon Cooper
- Back-up: Chase Beeler
- X-factor: Jason Hannon

Left Tackle:
- Starter: Branndon Braxton
- Back-up: Phil Loadholdt
- X-factor: Corey Brandon (if he gains the weight, he will compete)

Tight End:
- Starter: Joe Jon Finley
- Back-ups, contributing significantly: Jermaine Gresham
- Bocking situations: Brody Eldridge

Wide Receivers:
- Starters: Malcom Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias, Manuel Johnson
- Back-ups: Adron Tunnell*(could start), Quentin Chaney, Fred Strong
- X-factors: Demarco Murray, Brandon Caleb

Fullback:
- Starter: Brody Eldridge
- Back-up: Matt Clapp
- X-factor: Alan Davis

Running Backs:
- Starter: Allen Patrick
- Back-ups (tough battle): Chris Brown
- X-factors: Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray, Mossis Madu

Quarterback: (Who can predict this one?)
- Starter: Joey Halzle
- Back-up: Sam Bradford
- X-factor: Keith Nichol

SPECIAL TEAMS:
will remain unchanged, with a few exceptions:
- Michael Cohen will be full-time punter
- X-factors on PR/KR - Mossis Madu, Demarco Murray

COMMENTARY:

- Obviously, the QB race will be fascinating and the most crucial.
- The battle for the open LB positions will be fierce.
- The battle for Messner's vacated tackle spot will be interesting.
- The battle for fullback will be controlled if Eldridge proves he can catch.
- Will be interesting to see what happens with the secondary. Do they find a way to get Smith back into one of the corner slots? Lots of talent brewing behind the current starters. Does Clayton get a second shot?
- We are very deep at defensive tackle.
- We are very deep at Wide Receiver.
- We are very deep at Running Back.
- We are very deep at Tight End.
- If some of the young talent matures in the secondary, we are very deep there, too.
- We are strong on the Offensive Line . . . but thin.
- We are untested at QB
- We are strong but thin at defensive end. Will be interesting to see how we address this. Shocking to me that we've not landed a top-flight DE recruit for 2007. I know we have RJ for 2008. Maybe that's why.

Discuss . . .

soonerscottd
12/16/2006, 04:29 PM
I hope AD is a 'factor' does anyone know for certain if he is coming back?

setem
12/16/2006, 05:06 PM
Is sunshine(Hartley) gonna be back? I thought he was only a soph!

I think Jermaine Gresham will take most of the snaps at TE next season and JJF will be the #2 TE when we run the multiple TE formations. If we use the height advantage Gresh has on most LB's and DB's he is gonna make that queer Adarius Bowman look like a chump! The kid is gonna be a star!

goingoneight
12/16/2006, 06:17 PM
He already made Bowman look like a fool by wearing crimson and cream whilst Bowman wears that god-awful color. Seriously, aggies and 'caines and whoever else wears orange, would you like that greusome color at all, even in the slightest, if it wasn't your school color???

JohnnyMack
12/16/2006, 06:30 PM
QB:

1. Bradford
2. Nichol
3. Halzle

spatton713
12/16/2006, 08:37 PM
demarco murray should see alot of time if AD doesnt return

KingDavid
12/16/2006, 10:59 PM
Is sunshine(Hartley) gonna be back? I thought he was only a soph!

I think Jermaine Gresham will take most of the snaps at TE next season and JJF will be the #2 TE when we run the multiple TE formations. If we use the height advantage Gresh has on most LB's and DB's he is gonna make that queer Adarius Bowman look like a chump! The kid is gonna be a star!

Sunshine will be a Senior.

Gresham is one of those X-factors for the whole offense. He'll shape the formations due to his talent. He won't displace Finley as the starter, IMO. Finley's experience is too valuable.

Murray/Madu represent another one of those X-factors for the whole offense - the coaching staff will need to find ways to get them on the field.

No matter how you slice it, we have a LOT of weapons at our disposal on the offense. We just need to have a signal caller with enough discipline to not mess it up.

I think I need to amend my pick to Bradford for the starter. He's a better fit from a personality stand-point, from what I can tell. Calmer than Halzle. I think Heupel will go with him. We'll see how these practices and the Spring shake out.

sooneriniowa
12/16/2006, 11:21 PM
Aww the heck with it.....Move Finley to QB. He wasn't bad in HS. ;)
:pop:

oumartin
12/16/2006, 11:33 PM
dont' freakin' call hartley sunshine.. they call that Reddin' kid up in stoolwater that. that kickoff kid

Big Red Ron
12/17/2006, 12:01 AM
QB:

1. Bradford
2. Nichol
3. HalzleAgree.

mightysooner
12/17/2006, 02:07 PM
Isn't Steven Coleman the one who's quitting the team to focus on raising his little brother and going through Master's studies? I don't think he's in the mix next season at DT. Somebody else will have to step up.

Curly Bill
12/17/2006, 03:12 PM
Isn't Steven Coleman the one who's quitting the team to focus on raising his little brother and going through Master's studies? I don't think he's in the mix next season at DT. Somebody else will have to step up.

No, it's Carl Pendleton that's quitting to take care of his little brother.

KingDavid
12/18/2006, 01:15 AM
If?....If you've watched the last six weeks of this season, then you know that the young talent in the secondary has already matured, and is already deep, and is a virtual lock to be among the very best in the country next season.

Not ripping you...I think you did a great job putting this depth chart together; I just don't think the secondary is still the question mark you're making it out to be.

The term "depth" typically refers to the players behind the starters. The secondary is as strong as they come . . . but the depth is still a question mark. We basically only have 6 tested players: Smith, Williams, Harris, Holmes, Walker, Wolfe. That means that if we're running a nickel, we have only ONE tested back-up for the whole unit (unless you count Lewis Baker at SS). So that's the question mark. If we stay healthy, it's the best secondary in the conference, if not the nation.

mightysooner
12/18/2006, 09:07 PM
No, it's Carl Pendleton that's quitting to take care of his little brother.

Ah! My bad! You are correct.....

soonerloyal
12/19/2006, 09:37 AM
What impact do you feel Mossis Madu will have for next season? I think he's going to perform in an outstanding way.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/19/2006, 09:46 AM
demarco murray should see alot of time if AD doesnt return
AD's not comin back!!! Can we move on people?!?!?

OSUAggie
12/19/2006, 09:57 AM
A QB needs to step up or the 2007 offense will be forced to play as conservitavely as the 2006 offense. There is too much talent in the pass-catching positions for the 2007 offense to run 85% of the time.

JohnnyMack
12/19/2006, 10:19 AM
A QB needs to step up or the 2007 offense will be forced to play as conservitavely as the 2006 offense. There is too much talent in the pass-catching positions for the 2007 offense to run 85% of the time.

Why don't you worry about Bobby "I throw it in the 10th row" Reid and the fact he's ****ed about the way Gumby is treating him and we'll worry about plugging a QB into our system.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/19/2006, 10:25 AM
Johnny you are forgetting Bobby reid finished second in the heisman!!!

Collier11
12/19/2006, 02:35 PM
Ive been hearing rumors flying around that while the younger guys are getting reps right now, several have looked really impressive including Bradford, Murray, Madu, Mccoy, Nelson, and Franks. Can anyone confirm that has any sort of inside info???

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/21/2006, 03:53 PM
Add Matt Flynn as an X-factor, unless Jamarcus Russell goes pro. Not making a prediction, just throwing it out there.

soonerspudman
12/21/2006, 04:02 PM
I'm telling you guys, we're stacked at RB next year with Brown, Murray, Madu, Gute... Move AP back to safety to get the best 22 guys out on the field, we'd have a defensive backfield to rival the all-time best.

goingoneight
12/22/2006, 12:18 AM
dont' freakin' call hartley sunshine.. they call that Reddin' kid up in stoolwater that. that kickoff kid

You've never seen Remember the Titans, have you? Any case, I wouldn;t wanna be calles sunshine for any reason, especially that one...

Egeo
12/22/2006, 12:22 AM
I'm telling you guys, we're stacked at RB next year with Brown, Murray, Madu, Gute... Move AP back to safety to get the best 22 guys out on the field, we'd have a defensive backfield to rival the all-time best.
not with the way he's been running the ball lately..
(that is, dont move him to safety)