PDA

View Full Version : So I'm in Wichita

royalfan5
12/15/2006, 06:44 PM
The very edge between wichita and park city. I saw me some BTK sights and stuff and found out that Schaefer's Light is available in Park City. I also found out that central Kansas is pretty desolate from Clay Center to Newton. Also what is the logic behind the Kansas Coliseum?

Widescreen
12/15/2006, 06:52 PM
BTK sights? Great googily moogily.

StoopTroup
12/15/2006, 06:56 PM
Is he as nice as he seems to be on TV? :D

http://www.adjab.com/images/2005/04/burgerking_150.jpg

GottaHavePride
12/15/2006, 07:48 PM
Also what is the logic behind the Kansas Coliseum?
There isn't any. Logic, that is. The place is a cave and needs to be imploded if you ask me.

EDIT: If you want some Mexican food, go find Felipe's. Good stuff.

royalfan5
12/15/2006, 08:02 PM
I got to go to my first Dillon's too. That was exciting.

Fugue
12/15/2006, 09:17 PM
sorry, this is a strange weekend or i'd have been more social. hope you have a good time

royalfan5
12/16/2006, 12:56 AM
So far so good anyway. I am going to go exploring with my friend tomorrow. It should be exciting, or something.

BigRedJed
12/16/2006, 03:18 PM
Man, I saw some great rock shows in that dump. But yeah, it needs to be imploded. Basically the same thing as the Myriad/Cox Center, without the conference space, out in the boondocks instead of downtown. I'm pretty sure they're on track for a downtown arena now, though, which will be good for Wichita.

royalfan5
12/16/2006, 05:12 PM
So fat today, I have seen the east mall, the library, eaten at McAllister's Deli, saw my first Braums, Taco Bueno, Taco Tico, WSU's campus, and saw a movie at the second run theater. It's all been quite exciting thus far.

GottaHavePride
12/16/2006, 05:26 PM
Dude, don't go to the second-run theater. Go to one of the ones Bill Warren owns - there's one Downtown, East, and West. Seriously, you will not find many movie theaters that nice.

royalfan5
12/16/2006, 05:28 PM
Dude, don't go to the second-run theater. Go to one of the ones Bill Warren owns - there's one Downtown, East, and West. Seriously, you will not find many movie theaters that nice.
It's a little late for that now. I've already seen the movie at the palace

Scott D
12/16/2006, 05:57 PM
sorry, this is a falsetto singer weekend or i'd have been more social. hope you have a good time

:eek:

proud gonzo
12/16/2006, 06:14 PM
It's a little late for that now. I've already seen the movie at the palacewell, he owns that place too. But seriously, make the effort to go over to the Warren. you won't regret it.

Man, I saw some great rock shows in that dump. But yeah, it needs to be imploded. Basically the same thing as the Myriad/Cox Center, without the conference space, out in the boondocks instead of downtown. I'm pretty sure they're on track for a downtown arena now, though, which will be good for Wichita.

no it won't. There's not parking downtown. They don't plan to build any parking downtown. And the one guy who actually had an awesome idea for the building, they refused to even consider. It's retarded. Plus, it's Wichita, so i'm pretty sure they're going to find a way to **** it up no matter what, just like they do everything else.

royalfan5
12/16/2006, 07:38 PM
I have to admit I got a chuckle out of the face it, you're in Wichita billboard. Might as well just put up a billboard about abandoning all hope too

SoonerInKCMO
12/16/2006, 08:40 PM
no it won't. There's not parking downtown. They don't plan to build any parking downtown.

Where do the people that work downtown park? :confused:

BigRedJed
12/16/2006, 09:08 PM
...no it won't. There's not parking downtown. They don't plan to build any parking downtown...
Hmmm... ...exactly the thing that everyone said when they were planning the Ford Center. So far that has worked out pretty well. As for the building, believe me, the Ford Center is no Cesar Pelli, but it gets the job done. The downtown arena will be a big asset for Wichita. Right now, people go straight to shows at the Coliseum, park in the giant parking lot, and drive straight home. No additional economic impact.

When Wichita has a downtown arena, people will make an event of it, go out in Old Town, stay in the downtown hotels... ...not having a massive contiguous parking lot actually becomes an asset, believe it or not. It encourages people to come early and to stay late, party a little, and to leave additional dough in the economy.

GottaHavePride
12/16/2006, 09:49 PM
Where do the people that work downtown park? :confused:

What people that work downtown? ;) Seriously, a pretty sizable number of buildings down there are vacant.

proud gonzo
12/16/2006, 10:06 PM
yeah... downtown doesn't really have the capacity for that many people. People don't work there. I think the homeless population is larger than the workforce downtown. And right now, people aren't really enthusiastic about going to the clubs in oldtown late at night. People keep getting shot.

Right now there's not even enough parking downtown when there's a symphony concert or anything in the convention center.

Seriously, I think they must have gotten the arena thing approved by tacking it onto something that says "if you don't vote for this you think autistic orphans with cancer should die."

royalfan5
12/16/2006, 11:57 PM
Now I'm drunk in Wichita, and the Lady Huskers are National Champs.

Scott D
12/17/2006, 12:28 AM
yeah... downtown doesn't really have the capacity for that many people. People don't work there. I think the homeless population is larger than the workforce downtown. And right now, people aren't really enthusiastic about going to the clubs in oldtown late at night. People keep getting shot.

Right now there's not even enough parking downtown when there's a symphony concert or anything in the convention center.

Seriously, I think they must have gotten the arena thing approved by tacking it onto something that says "if you don't vote for this you think autistic orphans with cancer should die."

now you know that isn't true pg..because they would have voted against it if they wanted to show how they felt about austistic orphans with cancer.

Cam
12/18/2006, 08:26 PM
Now I'm drunk in Wichita
You poor, poor soul.

The Coliseum, wow. I've probably been in every stinking room and corner in that place. When it was built 25+ years ago, it worked out pretty well. It was a nice venue, plenty of parking, and getting in and out of it was pretty easy. Of course, living in Park City, we were 5 minutes away so that was nice. Now, they've let the place run down so much it's crazy.

The new arena downtown is projected to cost an additional 16 million over the dollar figure that was voted on. It's going to be a huge political cluster. Once it's built and they start having some decent shows, it'll work out well for the city.

proud gonzo
12/18/2006, 08:50 PM
You poor, poor soul.

The Coliseum, wow. I've probably been in every stinking room and corner in that place. When it was built 25+ years ago, it worked out pretty well. It was a nice venue, plenty of parking, and getting in and out of it was pretty easy. Of course, living in Park City, we were 5 minutes away so that was nice. Now, they've let the place run down so much it's crazy.

The new arena downtown is projected to cost an additional 16 million over the dollar figure that was voted on. It's going to be a huge political cluster. Once it's built and they start having some decent shows, it'll work out well for the city.yeah, that's what they've been saying since they started planning and taxing us for it 7-8 years ago...

GottaHavePride
12/18/2006, 09:14 PM
royalfan, if you're still around that area you might check out the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson. Biggest collection of NASA stuff outside of Cape Canaveral. Actually, I think the exhibits in Hutchinson pwn Cape Canaveral - the only thing Canaveral has that tops Hutchinson are the hangar facilities.

Cam
12/18/2006, 09:16 PM
yeah, that's what they've been saying since they started planning and taxing us for it 7-8 years ago...
Some day it'll get built. It might take as long as it did to finish the fly over though.

proud gonzo
12/18/2006, 09:49 PM
and every year until then they'll up the budget and raise taxes again.... I don't think they're ever going to make their money back. It's another scheme like the riverwalk (abandoned in favor of some fountains) boat house (closed) and exploration place (not making any money)

GottaHavePride
12/18/2006, 10:00 PM
They'd be better off if they'd do like lower manhattan after 9/11 and offer subsidies to anyone willing to move into downtown, and offer tax incentives to get businesses to relocate to downtown.

proud gonzo
12/18/2006, 10:02 PM
yep. That'd be awesome. Some of those buildings look really cool--I wouldn't mind having a studio apartment or something downtown.

GottaHavePride
12/18/2006, 10:06 PM
Well, I would mind... mainly because it would be in Wichita. ;)

Scott D
12/18/2006, 10:23 PM
They'd be better off if they'd do like lower manhattan after 9/11 and offer subsidies to anyone willing to move into downtown, and offer tax incentives to get businesses to relocate to downtown.

translation of it being any major city once the money making populace begin to spread into outlying suburban areas.

KABOOKIE
12/18/2006, 11:30 PM
I have to admit I got a chuckle out of the face it, you're in Wichita billboard. Might as well just put up a billboard about abandoning all hope too

That slogan is actually from a liberal diseased rag called the Wichita City Paper. The editor used to run the F5 magazine and it's slogan was "Free Like Speech" and "Work like a Farmer, Party Like a Rock Star!" If you ever want to see why dems never take the flyover states, read some of that dude's sh*t! :D

However, this does remind odf a few radio ads the City of Wichita used to run. Great stuff like, "Why there's tons of stuff to do here in Wichita. You can go to a park and sit on a bench" and "If you don't like Wichita, THEN LEAVE!!!" Man talk about making your product look attractive!

royalfan5
12/19/2006, 12:40 AM
royalfan, if you're still around that area you might check out the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson. Biggest collection of NASA stuff outside of Cape Canaveral. Actually, I think the exhibits in Hutchinson pwn Cape Canaveral - the only thing Canaveral has that tops Hutchinson are the hangar facilities.
I'm back in Nebraska now, however you're post reminded me that I still haven't made it out to the new Strategic Air Command Museum yet, and it's only about a 20 min drive for me.

Cam
12/19/2006, 09:18 PM
I thought they did that about 10-12 years ago and built a few studio apartment buildings out of some of the old warehouses?

Cam
12/19/2006, 09:19 PM
and every year until then they'll up the budget and raise taxes again.... I don't think they're ever going to make their money back. It's another scheme like the riverwalk (abandoned in favor of some fountains) boat house (closed) and exploration place (not making any money)
The riverwalk deal was such a cluster.

GottaHavePride
12/19/2006, 11:02 PM
I thought they did that about 10-12 years ago and built a few studio apartment buildings out of some of the old warehouses?

Sort of - I know they renovated the Eaton Hotel for something like that, but I don't think they ever did get the ground floor full of businesses. (I used to wait tables at the Spaghetti Works right next to that during the summers. Well, before it closed.)

Fugue
12/20/2006, 09:53 AM
They also built some lofts into the area aound teh Brewery off of first street. Went to a party in one of them. :eek: It was really cool. They run between 3 and 5 hundredK.
It provides a great view of the people getting capped below. :D